All things Magic Mountain

Phroobar

Original Poster
Unless it’s in a situation where it’s too costly to repair and too costly to demolish? So they’re just keeping it as a freeway beacon?
That is probably the case. It is probably too hard to evac people during an emergency. I remember the tower used to sway in the wind. Knowing how Six Flags takes care of buildings, it will probably come crashing down during a 7.0 earthquake.

Phroobar

Original Poster
wcb5.jpg

Phroobar

Original Poster
fc734f15a1da3f6e3ede10fa3b1c05e1.jpg

Viper is the last operating roller coaster with seven inversions to be built by American manufacturer Arrow Dynamics.

Viper was featured in the 1992 film Encino Man, in which it was referred to as "Vaper". Viper also made appearances in the 1993 film True Romance and the 2000 film Space Cowboys, as well as in commercials for Toyota and Cheetos.

Viper was featured in a 1993 episode of Beverly Hills, 90210, "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window", in which the cast goes to Magic Mountain on Senior Skip Day and Andrea conquers her fear of roller coasters. In 2012, it appeared in Glee's Big Brother episode when the cast rides it during their visit to the park on senior ditch day.[3] The song "Up, Up, Up" is sung over the experience.

The coaster appears in the video game RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 as part of a recreation of the Six Flags Magic Mountain park.

Viper was also featured in Lucifer season 3, episode 25, when the character Dan rides it after being trapped by one of the suspects in that episode.

truecoat

Viper is the last operating roller coaster with seven inversions to be built by American manufacturer Arrow Dynamics.

Viper was featured in the 1992 film Encino Man, in which it was referred to as "Vaper". Viper also made appearances in the 1993 film True Romance and the 2000 film Space Cowboys, as well as in commercials for Toyota and Cheetos.

Viper was featured in a 1993 episode of Beverly Hills, 90210, "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window", in which the cast goes to Magic Mountain on Senior Skip Day and Andrea conquers her fear of roller coasters. In 2012, it appeared in Glee's Big Brother episode when the cast rides it during their visit to the park on senior ditch day.[3] The song "Up, Up, Up" is sung over the experience.

The coaster appears in the video game RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 as part of a recreation of the Six Flags Magic Mountain park.

Viper was also featured in Lucifer season 3, episode 25, when the character Dan rides it after being trapped by one of the suspects in that episode.

I rode a version of this called Shockwave at Six Flags Great America near Chicago. It was replaced with a flying Superman Coaster which was is a good ride but I'd rather they added than replaced.

lazyboy97o

I rode a version of this called Shockwave at Six Flags Great America near Chicago. It was replaced with a flying Superman Coaster which was is a good ride but I'd rather they added than replaced.
Shockwave was the first iteration and Viper the third, with the Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great Adventure opening being the second between them. Each version was a few feet taller than the one before.

Two of the trains from Shockwave were sent to Magic Mountain to provide parts for the Viper trains.

It is a shame we are losing so many of Arrow's coasters. There doesn't even seem to be a market for anyone to come in and rework them, I'm guessing because you'd probably just end up with an almost entirely new coaster that doesn't take advantage of contemporary design tools.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Viper is still my favorite ride at MM even though it beats me up everytime. I can only do it once. There is something about that first high tight loop that I like. The setting on top of the hills is interesting. Before X, it was the first coaster you saw as you entered the property.

RobWDW1971

Viper is still my favorite ride at MM even though it beats me up everytime. I can only do it once. There is something about that first high tight loop that I like. The setting on top of the hills is interesting. Before X, it was the first coaster you saw as you entered the property.
Same here - that was the coaster, which I used to love to ride, that made me say "OK, that's enough of the head-banging". End of an era for me. I mean, it's no Flashback, which I hope the designers are still doing time on Rikers Island for that one.

BubbaQuest

Shockwave was the first iteration and Viper the third, with the Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great Adventure opening being the second between them. Each version was a few feet taller than the one before.

Two of the trains from Shockwave were sent to Magic Mountain to provide parts for the Viper trains.

It is a shame we are losing so many of Arrow's coasters. There doesn't even seem to be a market for anyone to come in and rework them, I'm guessing because you'd probably just end up with an almost entirely new coaster that doesn't take advantage of contemporary design tools.

I was so excited to ride this at Great Adventure after seeing all the pictures. I was disappointed when I got off the ride. It just felt like a bigger, rougher version of Great America's Demon.

I recently rode Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood. I was amazed how smooth it was for an Arrow Looper.

Rich T

In the park’s first couple of years, Valencia Falls (the fountain and rockwork stream) was listed as a major attraction. Goldrusher was the only coaster. But, hey, MM also had Log Jammer, Metro, Eagle’s Flight, El Bumpo and Galaxy back then. The park was so relaxing!

Rich T

So much stuff we lost for roller coasters. On the other hand, so many shells of these dead attractions are still there.
Interesting the Jet Stream isn't on that map.
Jet Stream was added very soon after the park’s opening; I think the map was designed before the decision to add the 2nd flume.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

WHAT'S GOING ON WITH VIPER? I CAN'T SEE THE IMAGE YOU POSTED ON MY COMPUTER THAT GOES ALONG WITH THIS POST?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom