All things Magic Mountain

Rich T

Looking at Youtube reactions from MM's biggest fan bloggers and coaster enthusiasts, the weird similarities between WCR and TC are a recurring theme. I can't help but imagine MM management is a bit surprised by that (though, really, how could they not see it coming). And I can picture the guys at RMC watching the reveal and thinking, "Well, I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..."

My favorite thing about the new coaster, so far, is the fact that it's a low-to-the-ground, 50 mph family coaster. That really is the kind of ride MM has needed, and it ought to be very popular.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Just got back from visiting my sister and her new born twins in Petaluma. We took our time driving up the coast to visit her. We had a great time visiting Monterey and San Francisco. Very pretty. Anyway on the way back we decided to visit Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo.

This place was originally a Marine World park before another company added a zoo to it. Finally Six Flags bought it an added roller coasters to the front entrance of the park. Almost all the coasters are at the front of the park. You have to walk around and through them to get to the small main entrance. The park is divided into three areas. Land include a small zoo with tigers, giraffes and elephants. The Sea includes dolphin, sea lion and the usual Sea World type fish exhibits. Finally Air holds all of the coasters.

We checked out the shows. The dolphin show was good but very basic. The sea otter / seal show was terrible. It had be the dumbest show I've ever seen. The host was extremely annoying and the animals did some very basic tricks. My dog could do most of them. The bird show consisted mostly of them bringing out a bird and talking about it. None of the birds flew or did anything but come on stage and leave. Pretty pathetic.

The main reason we were there was the roller coasters and boy were they a disappointment. Because of a mild breeze they shut down all of them except a boomerang type ride. None of them were open any time that day. Even their brand new double looping Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster was broken and in pieces. Weird since it just opened a few months ago. For some reason their swing ride that takes you 200 feet in the air was not effected by the wind. Go figure.

In typical Six Flags tradition most of the buildings looked like they had wood rot and in desperate need of paint. The food service was extremely understaffed. There was typically one very slow teenage per booth that did everything. It took over 40 minutes to fill our refill cup with a half dozen people in front of us. At least at Magic Mountain, they have Freestyle self service machines everywhere in the park. This place had no clue what that was.

For some reason the park was only open to 6pm on New Years eve. We left in about three hours after looking at the animals. Because the coasters where all down, the park was packed and we only got on one ride.

I'm sorry to say but Six Flag Discovery Kingdom was very underwhelming. It makes Magic Mountain look like Disneyland. It's very sad to see that park in such terrible condition. I wonder if PETA knows about this place since I fear for the animals.

That is the end of our Six Flags Season Pass. We won't be renewing for this year since we are doing Knotts all this year.

Rich T

Just got back from visiting my sister and her new born twins in Petaluma. We took our time driving up the coast to visit her. We had a great time visiting Monterey and San Francisco. Very pretty. Anyway on the way back we decided to visit Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo.

This place was originally a Marine World park before another company added a zoo to it. Finally Six Flags bought it an added roller coasters to the front entrance of the park. Almost all the coasters are at the front of the park. You have to walk around and through them to get to the small main entrance. The park is divided into three areas. Land include a small zoo with tigers, giraffes and elephants. The Sea includes dolphin, sea lion and the usual Sea World type fish exhibits. Finally Air holds all of the coasters.

We checked out the shows. The dolphin show was good but very basic. The sea otter / seal show was terrible. It had be the dumbest show I've ever seen. The host was extremely annoying and the animals did some very basic tricks. My dog could do most of them. The bird show consisted mostly of them bringing out a bird and talking about it. None of the birds flew or did anything but come on stage and leave. Pretty pathetic.

The main reason we were there was the roller coasters and boy were they a disappointment. Because of a mild breeze they shut down all of them except a boomerang type ride. None of them were open any time that day. Even their brand new double looping Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster was broken and in pieces. Weird since it just opened a few months ago. For some reason their swing ride that takes you 200 feet in the air was not effected by the wind. Go figure.

In typical Six Flags tradition most of the buildings looked like they had wood rot and in desperate need of paint. The food service was extremely understaffed. There was typically one very slow teenage per booth that did everything. It took over 40 minutes to fill our refill cup with a half dozen people in front of us. At least at Magic Mountain, they have Freestyle self service machines everywhere in the park. This place had no clue what that was.

For some reason the park was only open to 6pm on New Years eve. We left in about three hours after looking at the animals. Because the coasters where all down, the park was packed and we only got on one ride.

I'm sorry to say but Six Flag Discovery Kingdom was very underwhelming. It makes Magic Mountain look like Disneyland. It's very sad to see that park in such terrible condition. I wonder if PETA knows about this place since I fear for the animals.

That is the end of our Six Flags Season Pass. We won't be renewing for this year since we are doing Knotts all this year.
I had a very different experience about five years ago. All the coasters were running (and all were great...well, Kong was not bad for a head-banger). Superman freaked the heck out of me; I do NOT enjoy slowly barrel-rolling upside down 200 feet in the air with just a lap bar holding me in. The staff was great--everyone from security to the ride ops were friendly and enthusiastic. The animal shows were okay, but the highlight was the elephant zone. I've never seen elephants in a park setting playing so actively and interacting with each other-splashing around in the pond and kicking a ball back and forth (on their own). The handlers were great; we watched them guide a pair of elephants through an exercise activity. The grounds were well-kept. My only complaint about the day was my standard Six Flags complaint: Pop music and Ads everywhere. Comparing it to Magic Mountain, I do wish MM had DK's nice mix of coasters and flat rides. Sorry to hear DK seems to have gone downhill. Did they slash the staffing for the off-season?

Phroobar

Original Poster
I had a very different experience about five years ago. All the coasters were running (and all were great...well, Kong was not bad for a head-banger). Superman freaked the heck out of me; I do NOT enjoy slowly barrel-rolling upside down 200 feet in the air with just a lap bar holding me in. The staff was great--everyone from security to the ride ops were friendly and enthusiastic. The animal shows were okay, but the highlight was the elephant zone. I've never seen elephants in a park setting playing so actively and interacting with each other-splashing around in the pond and kicking a ball back and forth (on their own). The handlers were great; we watched them guide a pair of elephants through an exercise activity. The grounds were well-kept. My only complaint about the day was my standard Six Flags complaint: Pop music and Ads everywhere. Comparing it to Magic Mountain, I do wish MM had DK's nice mix of coasters and flat rides. Sorry to hear DK seems to have gone downhill. Did they slash the staffing for the off-season?
They might have slashed employees but this is usually a busy time there because of the Holiday in the Park lights which were pretty. I just couldn't believe they would shut down everything and lie about the wind. They had the high swing ride and wonder woman open. You would think those would be effected by wind. What does wind have to do with the Joker or even the ground Cobra ride? It seems to be a very locals park since there were a lot of families with little kids running around Bugs Bunny Harbor. It was weird they still had one of the Fright Fest mazes setup. Well the animals were the best thing in the park.

Phroobar

Original Poster
A little construction update on Magic Mountain's West Coast Racers coaster. This is the world's first racing launch coaster. This is going next to Apocalypse. They completely cleared the area after the go karts to Apocalypse for this ride. It's a dueling coaster where the car changes sides on the second loop though with a pitstop in the middle. I don't think it will be open this summer. Maybe for Fright Fest.

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/attractions/newfor2019

Phroobar

Original Poster
Jet Stream - back in the 70's the jet stream had the unique boat racing down the final hill. The one that got to the bottom first got the other wet. I'm not sure why this feature was disabled. Maybe the boats would get jammed at the bottom?

sfmm_jetstream_15.jpg

3638231174_4e86e6c0e1_z.jpg

Phroobar

Original Poster
It's kind of fun riding the flume fifty feet in the air in the trees. The original first drop had a fog effect that hid the drop inside the old mill house. Magic Mountain built this and the Log Ride at the same time but on opposite sides of the park in order to give guest a water ride on either end of the park during hot days.

maxresdefault.jpg

sfmm_jetstream_01.jpg

Phroobar

Original Poster
lw3272.jpg

The first vertical-looping roller coaster of the modern era — at least the first since Coney Island, N.Y., in the early 1900s — opened May 8, 1976, at The Newhall Land and Farming Co.'s Magic Mountain amusement park in Valencia.

Created by a pair of German engineers — Werner Stengel (design) and Anton Schwarzkopf (fabrication) — at an estimated cost of $3 million, the coaster was named the Great American Revolution in honor of the 1976 U.S. bicentennial. At first, ride operators' uniforms mimicked Continental Army uniforms.

The new ride was credited with a 46-percent increase in park attendance during June 1976 compared to June 1975 (The Signal, July 7, 1976). Even people who never visited the park got a feel for the ride in movie theaters, courtesy of the 1977 thriller from Universal Pictures, "Rollercoaster," starring George Segal and Richard Widmark. It was one of the first films shown in Sensurround.

After Six Flags purchased the park in 1979 the ride was renamed "La Revolución" in honor of the Mexican revolution of the 1910s. In 1988 the name was changed to "Revolution."

This photographic image probably dates to the 1970s, considering the "Magic Mountain" lettering on the train. But the 8x10 print dates to 1990-1994, when Six Flags Magic Mountain sported five coasters — Gold Rusher (1971), Clown Coaster (1971), Revolution (1976), Ninja (1988) and Viper (1990). Batman: The Ride came along in 1994. Cutline reads:

GRAVITY DEFIED — The Revolution steel roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia features a 90-foot-tall, 360-degree vertical loop that gives riders a whole new perspective of terra firma. Boasting five roller coasters, Six Flags Magic Mountain is considered the "roller coaster center of the world."
Who knew five coasters would seem quaint? Twenty-five years later it had 19.

https://scvhistory.com/scvhistory/lw3272.htm

mickEblu

lw3272.jpg

The first vertical-looping roller coaster of the modern era — at least the first since Coney Island, N.Y., in the early 1900s — opened May 8, 1976, at The Newhall Land and Farming Co.'s Magic Mountain amusement park in Valencia.

Created by a pair of German engineers — Werner Stengel (design) and Anton Schwarzkopf (fabrication) — at an estimated cost of $3 million, the coaster was named the Great American Revolution in honor of the 1976 U.S. bicentennial. At first, ride operators' uniforms mimicked Continental Army uniforms.

The new ride was credited with a 46-percent increase in park attendance during June 1976 compared to June 1975 (The Signal, July 7, 1976). Even people who never visited the park got a feel for the ride in movie theaters, courtesy of the 1977 thriller from Universal Pictures, "Rollercoaster," starring George Segal and Richard Widmark. It was one of the first films shown in Sensurround.

After Six Flags purchased the park in 1979 the ride was renamed "La Revolución" in honor of the Mexican revolution of the 1910s. In 1988 the name was changed to "Revolution."

This photographic image probably dates to the 1970s, considering the "Magic Mountain" lettering on the train. But the 8x10 print dates to 1990-1994, when Six Flags Magic Mountain sported five coasters — Gold Rusher (1971), Clown Coaster (1971), Revolution (1976), Ninja (1988) and Viper (1990). Batman: The Ride came along in 1994. Cutline reads:

GRAVITY DEFIED — The Revolution steel roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia features a 90-foot-tall, 360-degree vertical loop that gives riders a whole new perspective of terra firma. Boasting five roller coasters, Six Flags Magic Mountain is considered the "roller coaster center of the world."
Who knew five coasters would seem quaint? Twenty-five years later it had 19.

https://scvhistory.com/scvhistory/lw3272.htm

Interesting I remember going to Magic Mountain for the first time in the early 90s in my Dad and it’s crazy to think they still only really had those 5 or so coasters on that trip. I don’t remember the Clown coaster though? Where was that?

Rich T

Jet Stream - back in the 70's the jet stream had the unique boat racing down the final hill. The one that got to the bottom first got the other wet. I'm not sure why this feature was disabled. Maybe the boats would get jammed at the bottom?

sfmm_jetstream_15.jpg

3638231174_4e86e6c0e1_z.jpg
Great pics, (I LOVED early years MM!!!) but the boats never raced each other down the twin drops (which could have caused a collision at the merge point.) The boats were each gated to one side or the other, alternating, and would just go down as normal one at a time. I've always wondered if the twin drops did more than look cool; maybe they increased capacity a bit in tandem with the turntable load system? In theory? It never seemed to me that the boats were ever close enough to each other to rule out the normal single flume drop. Though I'm sure Log Jammer and Jet Stream were planned near-simultaneously, Jet Stream opened a year after Log Jammer and was left off the park's original (awesome) souvenir map.

The best part was the little jump ramp at the bottom that made the boats hydroplane across the water. Great America used that jump on their Yankee Clipper flume (also a double drop) and... I think Hersheypark's Coal Cracker and King's Island's Kenton's Cove also used that system. The first-drop shed had rubber flaps at the top and bottom to keep the darkness and mist inside-- I remember it kinda smacking me in the face. :D

Phroobar

Original Poster
Interesting I remember going to Magic Mountain for the first time in the early 90s in my Dad and it’s crazy to think they still only really had those 5 or so coasters on that trip. I don’t remember the Clown coaster though? Where was that?
lw2922_large.jpg

Kids get a thrill on the 10-mph Clown Coaster at Magic Mountain, 1974. 2x2-inch transparency (color slide film).

This 350-foot-long, chain-lift, single-train coaster by Bradley & Kaye opened with the park in May 1971. Riders sat two across in two rows in each of three cars, for a total of 12 riders.

It was called the Clown Coaster until 1984 when it was repainted and renamed the Wile E. Coyote Coaster to conform with various changes that were starting to take place as Time Warner increased its influence and investment in the park. (Bugs Bunny and his cohorts replaced Bloop and Bleep at this time.)

Clown Coaster/Wile E. Coyote went into storage in 1999 but came out of retirement to join Goliath as one of three "new" coasters to open in 2001. Rebranded as Goliath Jr., it "was rebuilt and customized to look like the Goliath. ... The old supports were replaced with supports that resembled those found on the Goliath. The [train was] rebuilt from the chassis up, and it was repainted with Goliath's color scheme" (RCDB.com).

The 2008 season saw another name change to Percy's Railway, then Magic Flyer after 2010.
magic-flyer-roller-coaster-19a4ec64-acfa-4a27-a35a-a0b00f3ac0b-resize-750.jpeg

Goliath jr.

Then it became Percy's Railway themed to Thomas the Tank Engine. Now it is called the Magic Flyer in the Whistle Stop Train section of the park. This is to the right of the entrance to Goliath. Near the Buchaneer. Next to Fort LaJohn restrrooms.

magic-flyer-roller-coaster-68cfe6aa-8c37-4524-9ec4-44557dc19b0-resize-750.jpeg
magic-flyer-roller-coaster-54d67327-4d4e-4b09-9ce7-7e3fe7316ce-resize-750.jpeg

mickEblu

lw2922_large.jpg

Kids get a thrill on the 10-mph Clown Coaster at Magic Mountain, 1974. 2x2-inch transparency (color slide film).

This 350-foot-long, chain-lift, single-train coaster by Bradley & Kaye opened with the park in May 1971. Riders sat two across in two rows in each of three cars, for a total of 12 riders.

It was called the Clown Coaster until 1984 when it was repainted and renamed the Wile E. Coyote Coaster to conform with various changes that were starting to take place as Time Warner increased its influence and investment in the park. (Bugs Bunny and his cohorts replaced Bloop and Bleep at this time.)

Clown Coaster/Wile E. Coyote went into storage in 1999 but came out of retirement to join Goliath as one of three "new" coasters to open in 2001. Rebranded as Goliath Jr., it "was rebuilt and customized to look like the Goliath. ... The old supports were replaced with supports that resembled those found on the Goliath. The [train was] rebuilt from the chassis up, and it was repainted with Goliath's color scheme" (RCDB.com).

The 2008 season saw another name change to Percy's Railway, then Magic Flyer after 2010.

Goliath jr.

Then it became Percy's Railway themed to Thomas the Tank Engine. Now it is called the Magic Flyer in the Whistle Stop Train section of the park. This is to the right of the entrance to Goliath. Near the Buchaneer. Next to Fort LaJohn restrrooms.

Ok Wile e Coyote rings a bell! Do you remember Sierra Falls (Yosemite Sam inner tubes) ? And flashback- the most neck breaking ride of all time?

Phroobar

Original Poster
Ok Wile e Coyote rings a bell! Do you remember Sierra Falls (Yosemite Sam inner tubes) ? And flashback- the most neck breaking ride of all time?
I do remember Sierra Falls. It was a waterslide that you rode fully clothed. Looks like it was removed in 2010. I'm not sure what is there right now. I don't think they ever built anything where this and Flashback used to be. I could be wrong.
PICT0149%20(Medium).JPG

yosemitesamsierrafalls.jpeg

Phroobar

Original Poster
I know the building queue for Flashback is used for a Fright Fest maze. They usually have Toys of Terror in there. It's weird being in that abandoned area where they do the mazes with all it's 80's architecture.

skytower30.jpg

SuddenStorm

I do remember Sierra Falls. It was a waterslide that you rode fully clothed. Looks like it was removed in 2010. I'm not sure what is there right now. I don't think they ever built anything where this and Flashback used to be. I could be wrong.
PICT0149%20(Medium).JPG

yosemitesamsierrafalls.jpeg

This is where the Road Runner coaster is now, added a bit after this attraction's closure.

I remember going on the falls... it's actually kind of sad they got rid of it, a really unique and kitschy ride that Six Flags needs more of.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

lw2922_large.jpg

Goliath jr.

I had a real traumatizing experience on the kiddie coaster ride when I was a kid in the early 80's. I was young and new to coasters and I wasn't tall enough to go on colossus but i could ride the kiddie one. so i got on it and i had fun. the cast member operating it wanted to know if i wanted to go again since no one was in line. i said sure. but then after the 2nd trip he kept on sending me through at least 3 more times without my permission. i was asking him to please stop i wanted to get off and started crying and he just laughed and kept sending me through. i stopped having fun and felt trapped on the coaster. i felt like my family was not going to be able to find me and he was keeping me on the ride against my will. eventually when riders came i was able to get off and i as i walked away crying he was laughing at me. i never told my parents cuz i was happy to just get off the ride but i still remember it to this day.

TROR

I had a real traumatizing experience on the kiddie coaster ride when I was a kid in the early 80's. I was young and new to coasters and I wasn't tall enough to go on colossus but i could ride the kiddie one. so i got on it and i had fun. the cast member operating it wanted to know if i wanted to go again since no one was in line. i said sure. but then after the 2nd trip he kept on sending me through at least 3 more times without my permission. i was asking him to please stop i wanted to get off and started crying and he just laughed and kept sending me through. i stopped having fun and felt trapped on the coaster. i felt like my family was not going to be able to find me and he was keeping me on the ride against my will. eventually when riders came i was able to get off and i as i walked away crying he was laughing at me. i never told my parents cuz i was happy to just get off the ride but i still remember it to this day.
Not to laugh at your misery (specifically to laugh at your misery), this is so funny.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Not to laugh at your misery (specifically to laugh at your misery), this is so funny.
I get it. no offense taken. but as a young kid it really stuck with me because I felt this guy was keeping me on the ride against my will and was laughing every time he sent me around. Looking back at it, he was just some punk teenage employee having a laugh but as a kid it was horrying for me since i was new to coasters and still getting over my initial fear. like i said i wasnt tall enough to ride colossus at the time so i went on this instead while others rode that ride and it added to my fear of coasters until i got over it by growing up and finally being tall enough to go on any ride i wanted. now i love coasters. kinda of a d*ck thing to do to a little kid though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom