All things Magic Mountain

ToTBellHop

If by feeling bad at Sea World you mean because of all of the animals living out life at Sea World, alow me to share my views on the matter. I used to feel guilty enjoying trips zoos and aquariums. I am a HUGE lover of all animals. And it just made me sad to think of them being there so I can have a fun time looking at them. BUT, the older I got the more I realize two things.

Before I get to that there is one caveat. These views only count IF the animals are cared for to a spectacular degree. Living conditions and treatment must be optimal or these two points go out the window. And coincidentally, my belief is that the animals at Sea World are treated very well the vast majority of time.

Okay, number one. A lot of the animals you see at zoos or aquariums wouldn’t be able to live out their life in the wild due to injuries or medical conditions. I’m glad these animals get a second chance at life with the added bonus of making millions of people happy simply by watching them live.

Number two, and most important I think. The exposure these “ambassador “ animals get in places like zoos and aquariums, and the subsequent joy it brings to millions of people all across the world, is HUGE for the ultimate well being of their entire species. Bringing Awareness and affection for these animals to the masses can literally change the future of for tons of animals. Having persona encounters with them, really makes people care on a personal level. They will shell out more cash and do way more things for the well-being of a species if they’ve had a positive, personal experience with them. We raise far more money, and pass far more laws to benefit animals because of it, I’m sure of that. ❤️
Okay I’m done 😊
Oh, I don’t inherently object to animal parks. Sea World has sometimes had a murky record but I’ve seen improvement.

I just think their theme parks are awful lol. Small number of rides, some good but not great. Awful food. And I struggle watching marine mammals in tanks. I think they are too intelligent for that (though I understand, in their state, they would NOT survive if Free Willy-ed). Fish don’t have the brain capacity to care, but mammals do. I wish they could be more creative. When I see the giraffe wandering the savanna in Animal Kingdom, I get the impression they are quite comfortable. The last time I went to a Sea World, there were still mammals in blue pools. For them, that’s basically a cage. Have they fixed that?

Their parks have a bit of an identity crisis and I find they are “just ok” at everything. There are parks with better rides, better food, better theming, and there are zoos with better animal enclosures.

But I also don’t care to ride a dolphin in the Caribbean lol. As fun as it looks.

PiratesMansion

Oh, I don’t inherently object to animal parks. Sea World has sometimes had a murky record but I’ve seen improvement.

I just think their theme parks are awful lol. Small number of rides, some good but not great. Awful food. And I struggle watching marine mammals in tanks. I think they are too intelligent for that (though I understand, in their state, they would NOT survive if Free Willy-ed). Fish don’t have the brain capacity to care, but mammals do. I wish they could be more creative. When I see the giraffe wandering the savanna in Animal Kingdom, I get the impression they are quite comfortable. The last time I went to a Sea World, there were still mammals in blue pools. For them, that’s basically a cage. Have they fixed that?

Their parks have a bit of an identity crisis and I find they are “just ok” at everything. There are parks with better rides, better food, better theming, and there are zoos with better animal enclosures.

But I also don’t care to ride a dolphin in the Caribbean lol. As fun as it looks.
I think they are good parks that are operated poorly. It wouldn't be hard for them to deliver a great experience with just a little tweaking.

Maybe I've had good luck, but the only Sea World-affiliated park that I thought had awful food was the Sea World in Orlando. I actually found some good food at the San Diego park the one time I went.

Discovery Cove is the one thing they do that I think fires on all cylinders.

The animal exhibits at their Busch Gardens parks tend to be a bit better IMO.

ToTBellHop

I think they are good parks that are operated poorly. It wouldn't be hard for them to deliver a great experience with just a little tweaking.

Maybe I've had good luck, but the only Sea World-affiliated park that I thought had awful food was the Sea World in Orlando. I actually found some good food at the San Diego park the one time I went.

Discovery Cove is the one thing they do that I think fires on all cylinders.

The animal exhibits at their Busch Gardens parks tend to be a bit better IMO.
And, to be fair, I have been to Orlando and not San Diego. I don’t care to watch too many animal shows and the rides look weaker in San Diego. Given that I have to fly across the country to visit, Sea World is just easier to cut in favor of DL, USH, and perhaps Knott’s.

PiratesMansion

And, to be fair, I have been to Orlando and not San Diego. I don’t care to watch too many animal shows and the rides look weaker in San Diego. Given that I have to fly across the country to visit, Sea World is just easier to cut in favor of DL, USH, and perhaps Knott’s.
Yeah, it's easy to cut off because it's so far from everything else. That said, I actually thought the San Diego park had a nicer feel to it, even if it felt maybe a bit more zoo-like compared to Orlando's. It definitely felt like there was more of a focus on animals vs. Orlando's more hybrid approach.

Journey to Atlantis is definitely weaker than Florida's, but I actually prefer their Manta, which is a really good, family friendly launch coaster. I am excited about the dive coaster they're building too.

Tamandua

Huh? You're saying he should expect they don't clean the bathrooms or fix the sinks? Especially in the midst of a pandemic. And expect to pay 17 bucks for one slice of pizza?

I appreciate the poster warning us.
Can you leave for food and come back? I used to do that all the time when I'd go to six flags in college. There's a whole city full of food places nearby. I dunno why anyone eats at magic mountain.

PiratesMansion

Can you leave for food and come back? I used to do that all the time when I'd go to six flags in college. There's a whole city full of food places nearby. I dunno why anyone eats at magic mountain.
You absolutely can. That's what I do every time I'm at a Six Flags park. Most of them have a variety of restaurants close by outside the park. Better food, lower prices, win win.

PostScott

I heard that MM doesn't allow you to bring in food or drink. Is that true, and are they the only local park with that rule?
You can bring empty water bottles and small snacks and food for people with special dietary needs. Other than that, you can't bring anything else. I'm sure you can hide some stuff but its risky 🤷‍♂️

SoCalDisneyLover

You can bring empty water bottles and small snacks and food for people with special dietary needs. Other than that, you can't bring anything else. I'm sure you can hide some stuff but its risky 🤷‍♂️
They really want to force you to buy some of their subpar Overpriced food and beverage.

CaptinEO

I heard that MM doesn't allow you to bring in food or drink. Is that true, and are they the only local park with that rule?
I worked in the parking lot at SFMM. Everyone parking had Wendys and McDonalds bags to toss and our trashcans would overflow with them.

They do not allow you to bring in food. Even Disneyland used to not allow it at one point. My parents always tell stories about them sneaking food into Disneyland when we were younger.

SoCalDisneyLover

If you still haven't been vaccinated, Governor Newsom just announced a new program giving away 50,000 free tickets to any CA Six Flags park. Only certain vaccination locations will have them, here's further information:

Curious Constance

If you still haven't been vaccinated, Governor Newsom just announced a new program giving away 50,000 free tickets to any CA Six Flags park. Only certain vaccination locations will have them, here's further information:

I feel like going to Six Flags negates any benefit you’ve gained from getting vaccinated. Or even puts you in the hole some.

Curious Constance

These vaccine bribes are getting ridiculous. If you aren't vaccinated by now, six flags tickets aren't going to change your mind. I might get vaccinated if they told me I had to go to six flags if I didn't...
When I win the million dollar Oregon vaccine lottery, I promise you I won’t be going to Six Flags.

Rich T

These vaccine bribes are getting ridiculous. If you aren't vaccinated by now, six flags tickets aren't going to change your mind. I might get vaccinated if they told me I had to go to six flags if I didn't...
There’s a small element of logic to the cash giveaway part of the Gov’s efforts: I’m sure there are knucklehead conspiracy-theory believers whose anti-vac fears might be overcome by their belief that it’s their lucky day to win a lottery.

Tamandua

There’s a small element of logic to the cash giveaway part of the Gov’s efforts: I’m sure there are knucklehead conspiracy-theory believers whose anti-vac fears might be overcome by their belief that it’s their lucky day to win a lottery.
I think it's counterproductive. If covid was a really scary disease that had most people worried, you'd see people fighting each other to get the vaccine. The fact that they're out there trying so hard to bribe people to get the vaccine makes it seem unimportant. It just emphasizes how much people don't want it to have to be so transparently desperate to give it away, and that in turn makes people think it's not important to get it if it's tied to all these ridiculous contests and giveaways. If they acted like the vaccine was hard to get, more people would be happy to get it because they feel like they got something other people couldn't.

Anyways... Just more lessons in how not to handle a pandemic for future leaders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom