All things Magic Mountain

Phroobar

Original Poster
On the plus side, all of the rides were 30 minutes or less and the spring break crowds were not there.

Note to self: Make side trip next DLR visit.
There was one girl looked about 20 with too small tank top, cut off daisy dukes shorts (with butt crack showing) and covered with tattoos that was ahead of us in line. She was with a fairly over weight guy that was in his mid to late 30s. My daughter though he was her dad until they started to making out in line. My daughter then decided to make really loud barfing noises every time they started.

Magic Mountain really needs to add a hotel and call themselves a resort like Knotts does.

Stevek

Not any more. However the skank factor is very high today. Who let's these girls out of the house dressed like that?
Cheap(er) tickets will always bring in a larger % of a less desirable crowd...the way people dress and carry themselves in public. SFMM was nasty last time we were there (we still enjoyed ourselves) but I will say that I've seen some pretty "questionable" attire at Knott's too.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Cheap(er) tickets will always bring in a larger % of a less desirable crowd...the way people dress and carry themselves in public. SFMM was nasty last time we were there (we still enjoyed ourselves) but I will say that I've seen some pretty "questionable" attire at Knott's too.
Questionable attire is starting to show up at Disneyland more often now too. I miss the 50's and 60's when everyone was Dapper.

Stevek

Here is a picture of the old monorail station at Magic Mountain. It is still there even though the rail no longer exists. You can actually walk up to it and inside if you pass the chain. It's like a haunted tree house.

IMG_20170329_165601_zpsmvgf9mld.jpg

You just have to beware of the heroin addicts shooting up in there.

Stevek

Questionable attire is starting to show up at Disneyland more often now too. I miss the 50's and 60's when everyone was Dapper.
Yep, we saw a handful yesterday but it's a much, much higher count at the other parks mentioned. I show my girls pictures of how people used to dress at Disneyland, even into the 70's and they are shocked.

TP2000

Very interesting thread. In another thread @Professortango1 and I were discussing the use of the phrase "theme park" versus "amusement park", and this reminds me that you can call these places whatever you want but some companies run vastly different operations than Disneyland.

I last went to Magic Mountain ten years ago or so with young family members. It was a disgusting and slightly scary experience a decade ago, and everything you touched was sticky. It sounds like it has even gotten worse to the point of park infrastructure allowed to decay on full view.

I'm actually happy that Magic Mountain exists and is flagship park of the Six Flags line, because it pulls a certain demographic far away from Disneyland and keeps their entertainment dollars elsewhere.

In the 1990's I went to the big Six Flags park in central New Jersey (Great Adventure?). The teenage girls there were terrifying. Sky-high hairdos, heavy hooker makeup, skintight clothing, mouths like drunken sailors, and an overall look that said they would cut you if you dared make eye contact. The teenage girls were much more intimidating than the boys ever could be. It sounds like the clientele at Magic Mountain in the 2010's are no different, just with more tattoos now.

Curious Constance

Very interesting thread. In another thread @Professortango1 and I were discussing the use of the phrase "theme park" versus "amusement park", and this reminds me that you can call these places whatever you want but some companies run vastly different operations than Disneyland.

I last went to Magic Mountain ten years ago or so with young family members. It was a disgusting and slightly scary experience a decade ago, and everything you touched was sticky. It sounds like it has even gotten worse to the point of park infrastructure allowed to decay on full view.

I'm actually happy that Magic Mountain exists and is flagship park of the Six Flags line, because it pulls a certain demographic far away from Disneyland and keeps their entertainment dollars elsewhere.

In the 1990's I went to the big Six Flags park in central New Jersey (Great Adventure?). The teenage girls there were terrifying. Sky-high hairdos, heavy hooker makeup, skintight clothing, mouths like drunken sailors, and an overall look that said they would cut you if you dared make eye contact. The teenage girls were much more intimidating than the boys ever could be. It sounds like the clientele at Magic Mountain in the 2010's are no different, just with more tattoos now.

I can't imagine you at Magic Mountain!!! Did you wear your top hat and monocle?

Phroobar

Original Poster
This building has been sitting here since the mid 80's completely abandoned and in full view of falling apart. You can climb inside if you want. They used the upper companion building as the station for Ninja.

IMG_20161022_151213_zpslubdy8vs.jpg

Phroobar

Original Poster
The area in red is mostly abandoned except Apocalypse coaster and the Cold Stone ice cream store. It is rumored that the entire area will be rebuilt for a new coaster to replace Apocalypse in the next few years. The blue area is currently under construction for the Battle of Metropolis ride. Riddler's Revenge is shut down since the entire area is being rebuilt. The green area is DC Universe and Screampunk area that was recently remodeled in the last two years. These are the best looking areas of the park. Ninja Ridge where Ninja, the Sky Tower and Superman are is falling apart. They don't let you in the Sky Tower anymore since it is unsafe. The stake house and old magic pagota are falling apart and only used for Fright Fest. However you can go up the mountain on the Helpful Honda Express which was recently repainted baby blue. (no ASIMO here).

2014-SFMM-Map-1024x551_zpsqgwxjnsz.jpeg

SuddenStorm

Is it confirmed that the Sky Tower isn't structurally sound? I went on it a few times between 2010-2015, but anything can change in a couple years. It was always hit or miss if it would be open, since it isn't a huge draw and the can save money leaving it closed.

SuddenStorm

There were a lot of ghost stories that would circulate about the steak house mentioned by @phruby. In fact, I heard a ghost story about most of the older attractions and buildings in the park. Most were obviously false since they referenced suicides that never occurred.

I don't believe in this stuff, but as I'm sure y'all can imagine, a few of the older employees are a bit out there, and will believe any conspiracy theory despite there being no possibility of it being valid. Regardless, I consider these stories harmless and are a bit fun to hear.

Colossus- There's a story that a young boy in a striped shirt can be heard around the station and ride at night, and spooks the maintenance crew.

Mooseburger Lodge/FTSB- The building is "haunted", and tables and chairs will rearrange themselves and block doors mysteriously. The current assistant manager took pictures of the doors blocked by tables after everyone else had left, and would often spread these stories. A few of the bartenders genuinely believed, but the rest of us thought it was good fun.

Abandoned steakhouse- Closed year round because a ghost breaks all the tables and chairs. This ignores that it is used for Fright Fest's buffet.

There were also multiple rumored suicides off the Sky Tower, but there are no verified ones. They used this to explain its frequent closures.

Last edited:

No Name

They always say "have a Six Flags day!" as you're leaving, at least at most locations. I haven't the slightest clue what that means. It sounds so stupid that I actually like it.

So I guess you had a Six Flags day!

I just have to say that the clientele at Great Adventure has noticeably improved over the last decade or two. Of course it depends on when you visit (don't go to the summer concert series!) but on a random Saturday you are sure to find a nice family-friendly environment now. At one point, it was a place that families with young children dare not visit, and I'm honestly not sure how that mentality began to change, but it has.

I'm fact, I don't know if you all are aware, but Six Flags Great Adventure recently stole Animal Kingdom's title as the world's largest theme/amusement park. They have a safari that, before 2013, was separate from the park. People had to drive their own vehicles through. The monkeys climbed on the cars, and animals liked to attack the windows. Good ol' fun! But in 2013, they turned it into a ride within the park (like DAK's, theming aside), so that bumped them ahead of DAK in acreage.

So while Magic Mountain may still suck (I've never been so I can't say), I'm feeling slightly optimistic lately about my home park. Maintenance and theming are still very very hit or miss, mostly miss. And of course it's nowhere near the level of Disney and Universal. But it's a significantly better place than it was two decades ago.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Original Poster
I have to agree with you. Magic Mountain is a safe clean park. They do attract families with little kids. Bugs Bunny World is well done and fun. However, you do get rough looking people and lots of teenagers due to the price. Show quality is low but you get the sense they are slowly fixing that. Maintenance keeps a lot of things closed when it isn't summer. The food is disgusting and slow. The parking lot is now $23 and valet is $35. Employees are slow and really don't care about you beyond ride safety. However the merchandise staff is friendly and helpful.

DLR92

Every time I drive back home from work. I always see the Magic Mountain half light at night. It really drives me crazy. lol

disney4life2008

I'm being torchered at Magic Mountain right now. I just finished waiting 47 minutes for fish & chips. I only had six people in front of me. Employees stand there talking to each other rather than preparing food. Why is food service so incrediblely bad here?

The new revolution is slow. They slowed down the ride. It now takes an average of 7 minutes to dispatch a coaster since none of the vr headsets work. They wipe them off with a generic cleaning wipes.

It is impossible to know how long a line is. The app is wrong and the posted sign outside never changes. "It is xx minutes from this point."

I don't understand. Have you been to cosmic rays at magic kingdom between 1130am and 3pm? Try waiting an hour when you are standing behind people who can't decide between a number 1 to 8 then confused about dining plan. Good luck finding a seat in there too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom