All things Knotts Berry Farm

Professortango1

The Hanging was....really bad. It felt like the past few years where the jokes were just lazier and more dated than in the glory days. There were also quite a bit of line flubs and underrehearsed elements.

The new stage doesn't allow them to fall off the front of the stage anymore, so many characters get hurt only to then turn around and run offstage. Can Knotts get some actual writers to write a good send-up show?

Phroobar

Original Poster
The Hanging was....really bad. It felt like the past few years where the jokes were just lazier and more dated than in the glory days. There were also quite a bit of line flubs and underrehearsed elements.

The new stage doesn't allow them to fall off the front of the stage anymore, so many characters get hurt only to then turn around and run offstage. Can Knotts get some actual writers to write a good send-up show?
First showing one of the fireworks caught on fire and a stage hand tried to blow it out like a candle. He finally got a wet towel. It reminded me of the guy trying to put out Murphy.

CaptinEO

Most of the mazes (Depths, Dark Entitites, Bloodline and Wax Works) are backstage in permanent barns. There is actually some theming back there. Mesmer is up all year under Xcellerator. Chilling Chambers is built under the stage coach bridge in Camp Snoopy and is up all year long. Room 13 is in the VR portion of the arcade and I bet will be up all year long. Origins is temporary in the Red Barn that is used for other events. Cinema Slasher is in Good Times theater and is temporary and used for other events.

For the most part they only take down two mazes and the scare zone stuff. They probably store it in one of the backstage mazes.

All those mazes use warehouses that are exclusively built for Scary Farm mazes. Outside Scary Farm, they serve no other purpose other than to store stuff for Scary Farm inside any void spaces.

For mazes that do not have a purpose built building for Scary Farm mazes, such as : Room 13, Grimoire , Origins, Chilling Chambers, and Cinema Slasher these mazes are dismantled and stored in warehouses on Knotts property.
Thanks so much for the explanation! It explains a lot.

I was very inspired. This was my first scary farm and first scare themepark event I've been to since Frightfest 2004.

To be honest I was terrified back then at fright fest (but was a teen) and even this time nearly chickened out when we approached the first maze. We ended up having a great time.

The theming was so great and something I loved was the storytelling was really well done.

My favorites were Grimoire, Origins, and Dark Entities.

Also everything had a wait time of 15 minutes or less.

The only part I didn't like was that the monsters even roam outside the scare zones. There is no safe area of the park besides the shops. Even when eating we had a monster come up to the benches.

I think it's good to give people a break from scaring. Fright Fest was good about this at least. But I'm sure some people like the aspect of never feeling safe.

But the theming, storytelling, and sets were fantastic. Way beyond anything else currently in the park's normal lineup IMO.

I think this will be a new annual tradition for us. Good job to Knotts, now I can see why this event is so popular.

D.Silentu

I think it's good to give people a break from scaring.
I'm glad to hear you had a good time, I'll be going soon myself. To your point of taking a break outside of the mazes, they do sell something called a "No-boo" necklace that informs the roaming monsters you're off limits. It might be the key to an even better experience next year!

PiratesMansion

Thanks so much for the explanation! It explains a lot.

I was very inspired. This was my first scary farm and first scare themepark event I've been to since Frightfest 2004.

To be honest I was terrified back then at fright fest (but was a teen) and even this time nearly chickened out when we approached the first maze. We ended up having a great time.

The theming was so great and something I loved was the storytelling was really well done.

My favorites were Grimoire, Origins, and Dark Entities.

Also everything had a wait time of 15 minutes or less.

The only part I didn't like was that the monsters even roam outside the scare zones. There is no safe area of the park besides the shops. Even when eating we had a monster come up to the benches.

I think it's good to give people a break from scaring. Fright Fest was good about this at least. But I'm sure some people like the aspect of never feeling safe.

But the theming, storytelling, and sets were fantastic. Way beyond anything else currently in the park's normal lineup IMO.

I think this will be a new annual tradition for us. Good job to Knotts, now I can see why this event is so popular.
I loved Origins when I visited in 2019! I was blow away by the quality of the sets and was almost sure that I was outside for parts of it. Can't wait to revisit it this year. Six of the ten mazes are brand new to me, so I'm super excited.

I actually love that basically the entire park is a scare zone! They're basically the only place I know of that does that. I can understand that not everyone would want that approach.

Scary Farm is my favorite theme park Halloween event by miles. I even bought a season pass so that I can visit as often as possible when I'm back in the area. I can't wait to check out the tribute store that's akin to what they do at Orlando's HHN and experience all the new shows, mazes, and so on.

CaptinEO

I'm glad to hear you had a good time, I'll be going soon myself. To your point of taking a break outside of the mazes, they do sell something called a "No-boo" necklace that informs the roaming monsters you're off limits. It might be the key to an even better experience next year!
Thanks! It was really inspiring and I loved how it was original stories not tied to a movie.

I did see the necklace for sale (no one wearing it though so didn’t see how bright it was). Do you think it’s effective? It may be worthwhile if so just to have the ability to stop scares when I need a break. I just can’t imagine the monsters being able to see it in the dark/fog, unless it’s super bright. If that works though it will help me enjoy the park more.
I loved Origins when I visited in 2019! I was blow away by the quality of the sets and was almost sure that I was outside for parts of it. Can't wait to revisit it this year. Six of the ten mazes are brand new to me, so I'm super excited.

I actually love that basically the entire park is a scare zone! They're basically the only place I know of that does that. I can understand that not everyone would want that approach.

Scary Farm is my favorite theme park Halloween event by miles. I even bought a season pass so that I can visit as often as possible when I'm back in the area. I can't wait to check out the tribute store that's akin to what they do at Orlando's HHN and experience all the new shows, mazes, and so on.
Origins was so good. I really like how there is even actors as you wait for the maze that add to the atmosphere/backstory of the whole thing. The witch at the end was a really well done set piece.

I can see why a full park scare zone can appeal to some people, after a few hours there I wanted some semblance of safety and to be able to take a breather. Not that it was a huge deal but I would’ve preferred some safe areas.

For some reason the tribute store was closed opening day from the marketplace, so I assumed it wasn’t ready. The the next day I read it was only accessible from within the park (no idea how to enter it). I don’t get why they are running it this way. But we ended up in a nice shop when we exited Beary Tales so it all worked out.

Also the park could have definitely used some signs (probably should be lighted too) that point you to where the mazes are.

That’s great it’s the best scare event. When are you planning on visiting? Does the scary farm season pass include parking?

CaptinEO

If Bloodlines isn't using the guns then that has the potential to be a really good maze.

(Maybe they finally did the right thing and made Dark Entities the shooter)
We were disapointed to not have guns in Bloodlines, we saw some videos last year and were looking forward to this one. I get lazer tag may not be as scary as a normal maze but I’m all for variety.

Emmanuel

For some reason the tribute store was closed opening day from the marketplace, so I assumed it wasn’t ready. The the next day I read it was only accessible from within the park (no idea how to enter it). I don’t get why they are running it this way. But we ended up in a nice shop when we exited Beary Tales so it all worked out.

The entrance to the store from in the park is by Wax Works

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 6.56.49 AM.png

The building on the top is where the Legacy Store is and the one on the bottom is Wax Works

Im guessing the reason why they have it set it up to be only entered from within the park when Scary Farm starts at 7 is likely to avoid people attempting to enter the event from the store on the Marketplace side

The store closes to normal guests at 4:30 on the Marketplace side and reopens to Haunt Guests at 7 and appears to close 2 hours prior to the end of the night (11pm for 1am nights and Midnight for 2am nights). This chart below can be found in the Knotts website

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 7.03.37 AM.png

Phroobar

Original Poster
We were disapointed to not have guns in Bloodlines, we saw some videos last year and were looking forward to this one. I get lazer tag may not be as scary as a normal maze but I’m all for variety.
Bloodlines was better without guns. The line moves faster. They really don't add a lot since the monster is already dead by the time you get there.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a no-boo neckless. There are park maps thoughout the park. Most people just use the Knotts app to find the mazes.

As for the tribute store. It is next to waxwork underneath Ghostrider. There are signs to it. During the day time you can access it from the Berry Market.

CaptinEO

Bloodlines was better without guns. The line moves faster. They really don't add a lot since the monster is already dead by the time you get there.
I did see a few videos last year and you had to defeat the last villian by shooting at skylights which dropped a chandelier on its head. When we walked through he was just dead in the room and people were saying "good job". Very uneventful.

I thought the lazer tag guns were what the maze was designed around?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a no-boo neckless. There are park maps thoughout the park. Most people just use the Knotts app to find the mazes.

As for the tribute store. It is next to waxwork underneath Ghostrider. There are signs to it. During the day time you can access it from the Berry Market.
I don't believe I saw anyone wearing them either. I did use the app but just having some signs to show where the mazes are from the front of the park or in other major cross sections would be really helpful.

Especially in the dark it can be hard to tell where you are in the park.

We did Waxwork so I'm sad we somehow missed the store! Oh well! For next time.

CaptinEO

The entrance to the store from in the park is by Wax Works

View attachment 744977

The building on the top is where the Legacy Store is and the one on the bottom is Wax Works

Im guessing the reason why they have it set it up to be only entered from within the park when Scary Farm starts at 7 is likely to avoid people attempting to enter the event from the store on the Marketplace side

The store closes to normal guests at 4:30 on the Marketplace side and reopens to Haunt Guests at 7 and appears to close 2 hours prior to the end of the night (11pm for 1am nights and Midnight for 2am nights). This chart below can be found in the Knotts website

View attachment 744982
Thank you!

Phroobar

Original Poster
I did see a few videos last year and you had to defeat the last villian by shooting at skylights which dropped a chandelier on its head. When we walked through he was just dead in the room and people were saying "good job". Very uneventful.

I thought the lazer tag guns were what the maze was designed around?

I don't believe I saw anyone wearing them either. I did use the app but just having some signs to show where the mazes are from the front of the park or in other major cross sections would be really helpful.

Especially in the dark it can be hard to tell where you are in the park.

We did Waxwork so I'm sad we somehow missed the store! Oh well! For next time.
The problem with Bloodlines with guns is if you are at the end of the group you don't see that happen. They had holding rooms before (like the bar) where everyone would gather before moving on. That didn't always work at the end.

This isn't the first gun maze. Infected was a zombie shooter where Grimoire is now. It was a really slow moving maze because of the guns.

CaptinEO

The problem with Bloodlines with guns is if you are at the end of the group you don't see that happen. They had holding rooms before (like the bar) where everyone would gather before moving on. That didn't always work at the end.

This isn't the first gun maze. Infected was a zombie shooter where Grimoire is now. It was a really slow moving maze because of the guns.
I see what you mean. So for the new version does this special effect just not happen? In our case we just walked in the room and they were telling us good job.

Too bad they can't figure out a way to operate a maze with the guns efficiently. Guess they gave up on that concept this year.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I see what you mean. So for the new version does this special effect just not happen? In our case we just walked in the room and they were telling us good job.

Too bad they can't figure out a way to operate a maze with the guns efficiently. Guess they gave up on that concept this year.
They probably dropped the spike earlier. It is just luck of the draw. It is one long conga line. You don't always see every action. Besides it wasn't all that great. They drop the spike, the monster moans and they reset. You didn't miss much. I always seem to be at the end of the Grimoire line and rarely get to see the preshow reading very well and don't get to see them open the fridge.

I think the key is to make the scenes about 5 seconds like universal does and keep repeating them every ten seconds. That way someone is able to get most of "acting" for each scene. Sometimes you get stuck and see them do it over and over. It is like a dance.

Last edited:

AJFireman

Fiesta Village is not a designated Scare Zone this year so there are no Monsters assigned to that area. Also by Grimoire and the River Rapids generally you will not see Monsters between the restrooms and the train tracks. There is a quick service restaurant with tables or you can go to places like the Pizza place where they have lots of seating and can sit away from the action. They might approach the tables closest to the street but they will not enter the seating area.

Saw many No Boo necklaces on opening night. I have been told by some people and Haunt Monsters I am friends with that they cannot jump scare people with the necklace but they can interact with them but back off if needed. I heard one interaction where the Monster were teasing the person about needing a night light to walk through the zone.

CaptinEO

They probably dropped the spike earlier. It is just luck of the draw. It is one long conga line. You don't always see every action. Besides it wasn't all that great. They drop the spike, the monster moans and they reset. You didn't miss much. I always seem to be at the end of the Grimoire line and rarely get to see the preshow reading very well and don't get to see them open the fridge.

I think the key is to make the scenes about 5 seconds like universal does and keep repeating them every ten seconds. That way someone is able to get most of "acting" for each scene. Sometimes you get stuck and see them do it over and over. It is like a dance.
Got it, I see what you mean. I think the solution would be for them to keep the guns and not bother with the interactive/timed elements.

This way you can just shoot at things as you move through without it holding people up.

That's a shame you didn't see the grimoire preshow, sounds like Knotts can do better with their timing overall then. The preshow reading is essential as far as I'm concerned.

CaptinEO

Fiesta Village is not a designated Scare Zone this year so there are no Monsters assigned to that area. Also by Grimoire and the River Rapids generally you will not see Monsters between the restrooms and the train tracks. There is a quick service restaurant with tables or you can go to places like the Pizza place where they have lots of seating and can sit away from the action. They might approach the tables closest to the street but they will not enter the seating area.

Saw many No Boo necklaces on opening night. I have been told by some people and Haunt Monsters I am friends with that they cannot jump scare people with the necklace but they can interact with them but back off if needed. I heard one interaction where the Monster were teasing the person about needing a night light to walk through the zone.
We were at "sutters pizza" area and a monster walked right into the eating area with all the benches. Not sure if its the same pizza place you mentioned. Could've just been a one off though and it was opening day so people could be learning.

Thanks for the tips on what areas have no monsters, good to know for next time! Sounds like the necklace may be a good choice then for when someone wants to relax.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Got it, I see what you mean. I think the solution would be for them to keep the guns and not bother with the interactive/timed elements.

This way you can just shoot at things as you move through without it holding people up.

That's a shame you didn't see the grimoire preshow, sounds like Knotts can do better with their timing overall then. The preshow reading is essential as far as I'm concerned.
It would be nice if there were actual targets like Buzz Lightyear has instead of just on the monsters. I've gone enough to see the preshow. It's not a big deal. I get the idea.

The best time ever was running through camp snoopy shooting zombies. It was a workout to keep up with the group. It was a special test a few years ago that you had to sign up for in advance to do. It would be impossible to do now.

Phroobar

Original Poster

Fiesta Village this year is dead. No one is over in that section of the park. Great time to ride Jaguar on repeat. Camp Snoopy is also dead because it is just a scare zone. No operational rides. Most of the monsters are closer to the maze entrance and exit.

AJFireman

We were at "sutters pizza" area and a monster walked right into the eating area with all the benches. Not sure if its the same pizza place you mentioned. Could've just been a one off though and it was opening day so people could be learning.

Thanks for the tips on what areas have no monsters, good to know for next time! Sounds like the necklace may be a good choice then for when someone wants to relax.
I was referring to Prop Shop Pizza close to the bumper cars. The Seating area there is pretty big and surrounded by a fence so you could be further to the back. I had Spookghetti Pie (spaghetti baked in alfredo sauce and topped with mozzarella, sausage, and bacon bits served over Bolognese sauce) was tasty and filling. As for where you were there is not a lot of depth to get away from the pathway.
prop-shop-pizzeria-seating-area.jpg

Fiesta Village this year is dead. No one is over in that section of the park. Great time to ride Jaguar on repeat. Camp Snoopy is also dead because it is just a scare zone. No operational rides. Most of the monsters are closer to the maze entrance and exit.
Hopefully they spread out more as time goes on. Also They have two shows they are trying to do lowkey no posted times but on the associates only list a slider show opening night was to be at 10:30pm. I asked a manager that night and he said due to lighting issue it would not happen that night but look for it in the future. Its to be in the side closer to Fiesta Village due to the area being more open. Also they had a walk with the Queen from Fiesta to the bathrooms while harassing the prisoner and unaliving him at the end. This area reminds me of a Rennaissance Faire the Monsters represent a character from Peasants to Royal Court and they all play their part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom