All things Knotts Berry Farm

Ryan120420

Knott's is a Cedar Fair park, though, and they're pretty much putting groupers in the station at all their major rides chain-wide now. Not sure what Knott's is doing right now, but in the past Ghostrider, at least, has pretty much always had a grouper. All the CF parks I've been to this year (Cedar Point, Kings Island, Valleyfair) have had groupers, even this year.

And while groupers theoretically help, their efficiency can be pretty hit or miss at Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks (if SF parks indeed have any, which is rare). I've seen way too many rows go unfilled even with groupers this summer. Some of that is on idiots who just stop and gawk at the station when they get to the front, but more of it than I'd like is groupers not being on the ball.

They're not necessarily the be-all end-all outside of Disney & Universal, and frankly, most of the time you don't need one unless you have a station that is exceptionally poorly designed (Viper and the former Iron Wolf, both at Six Flags Great America, would benefit/would have benefitted from them tremendously. Alas, Six Flags...). If the groupers aren't even consistently good enough to fill every row, then what's even the point?

Most parks around the country get by just fine without groupers. I'll never forget the HYSTERIA! of one poster on DisBoards who was freaking out about going to a non-Disney/Universal park when OMG THEY DON'T HAVE A GROUPER AND YOU CAN SIT WHERE YOU WANT, THE HORROR! It just betrays the person as someone who has no idea how non-Disney/Universal parks operate most of the time.

Depends on the ride at Knotts.

GhostRider, Hangtime (when open), Pony Express, CoastRider, and Sierra Sidewinder all have employees grouping. All the other coasters in the park it is pick your own seat.

And like other Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks that have groupers, rides still dispatch with empty seats and rows and most of the time is the grouper just not caring or is overworked having to check restraints or other duties in-between grouping.

Universal and Disney are truly the masters when it comes to ride efficiency. People who only visit those parks just have no clue how good they have it.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Depends on the ride at Knotts.

GhostRider, Hangtime (when open), Pony Express, CoastRider, and Sierra Sidewinder all have employees grouping. All the other coasters in the park it is pick your own seat.

And like other Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks that have groupers, rides still dispatch with empty seats and rows and most of the time is the grouper just not caring or is overworked having to check restraints or other duties in-between grouping.

Universal and Disney are truly the masters when it comes to ride efficiency. People who only visit those parks just have no clue how good they have it.
I have always picked my own seat on Ghostrider. The only time I had a seat picked for me was on FULL THROTTLE at six flags and I didn't like they did that. I wanted the front and they put me in the middle. I didn't understand why they did that for no other ride was like that for the rest of the day. Still don't understand

SplashGhost

I have always picked my own seat on Ghostrider. The only time I had a seat picked for me was on FULL THROTTLE at six flags and I didn't like they did that. I wanted the front and they put me in the middle. I didn't understand why they did that for no other ride was like that for the rest of the day. Still don't understand

Full Throttle usually has groupers, and Batman has them sometimes also. Ghostrider started after groupers sometime pre COVID, but I don't know if they are still there since I don't have the patience to wait in the 3 hour line to find out. They also didn't tend to have groupers on slower days.

I think groupers help speed up the line somewhat. However, I think the main thing that slows things down at Knott's is slow dispatches. Sometimes it is slow guests that contribute to slow dispatches, but there is no reason that 3 minutes or longer dispatches should be common on any coaster, but they are on GhostRider. Twisted Colossus usually has great ops and it proves that GhostRider can have great ops with quick dispatches also. Twisted Colossus also has to deal with having the unforgiving RMC restraints and super short seatbelts, an issue that GhostRider doesn't have, yet the dispatches are almost always way faster on Twisted Colossus.

Ryan120420

Yeah, I hate that some parks have "no prefered seating" policies . It's the major reason I usually skip Full Throttle when I visit Magic Mountain. A lot of Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks have these policies at rides. At Knotts, I've only been told "no" to a seat request a few times at GhostRider. It's such a bad guest policy that leaves an unnecessarily bad taste in a guest mouth.

As long as its regular park hours and a guest is willing to wait their turn, seat requests should be allowed.

Full Throttle usually has groupers, and Batman has them sometimes also. Ghostrider started after groupers sometime pre COVID, but I don't know if they are still there since I don't have the patience to wait in the 3 hour line to find out. They also didn't tend to have groupers on slower days.

I think groupers help speed up the line somewhat. However, I think the main thing that slows things down at Knott's is slow dispatches. Sometimes it is slow guests that contribute to slow dispatches, but there is no reason that 3 minutes or longer dispatches should be common on any coaster, but they are on GhostRider. Twisted Colossus usually has great ops and it proves that GhostRider can have great ops with quick dispatches also. Twisted Colossus also has to deal with having the unforgiving RMC restraints and super short seatbelts, an issue that GhostRider doesn't have, yet the dispatches are almost always way faster on Twisted Colossus.

Back in 2019 Knotts added a Single Rider line to GhostRider and started having a permanent grouper at the turnstiles right before the air gates. Currently the employee checking restraints on the air-gates side of the train is also tasked with grouping guests in-between train dispatches.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Yeah, I hate that some parks have "no prefered seating" policies . It's the major reason I usually skip Full Throttle when I visit Magic Mountain. A lot of Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks have these policies at rides. At Knotts, I've only been told "no" to a seat request a few times at GhostRider. It's such a bad guest policy that leaves an unnecessarily bad taste in a guest mouth.

As long as its regular park hours and a guest is willing to wait their turn, seat requests should be allowed.

Back in 2019 Knotts added a Single Rider line to GhostRider and started having a permanent grouper at the turnstiles right before the air gates. Currently the employee checking restraints on the air-gates side of the train is also tasked with grouping guests in-between train dispatches.
Yeah it caught me off guard. If I am willing to wait for my preferred seat, then let me wait. what's the harm? Only time that has ever happened to me at a theme park.

Emmanuel

So in the promo video showing the mazes, there's clearly a logo for a new haunt, obscured for an inevitable later announcement. But is this to mean that there will only be one new maze instead of the usual two?

We already know that as promised, Shadowlands and Infected: Special Ops aren't coming back.

Yeah. The area behind Mystery Lodge will remain empty. Might have something do with one of the new shows potentially being in the Mystery Lodge area according to a photo update from Westcoaster

For now, all the Scary Farm Shows are not on the website anymore after that one morning that I caught them on there but soon they'll be added back on the site at a later date closer to the event.

Theres not much on the Scary Farm Page except for a link to the hotel packages for the event.

cmwade77

As for crowds, at 10 AM this morning, they were parking the other side of La Palma and ALL other lots were COMPLETELY full, except the western lot which was the employee lot today. Even the drop off lane was backed up with about 40 cars. For getting into parking on La Palma had a line down Western. It was nuts.

But given the line for Soak City went out to Beach Blvd, we still aren't sure if the parking was for Knott's or Soak City, either way we didn't go, but that is what is great about living 15 minutes away, changing your mind is no big deal.....lol

We are assuming everyone is trying to have one last hurrah before school resumes for most kids next week. (Yes, some are already back, but a lot are going back next week)

SplashGhost

I guess that explains why the Single Rider line hasn't been running lately. Even pre COVID, it would be closed on some days.

I was looking at scheduled ride closures on Knott's site and it said that GhostRider is closed now. Does anyone know when it will be back up? I was hoping to get to ride it on an uncrowded weekday sometime in the next few weeks. I remember that Knott's used to say when a ride would reopen when they listed scheduled ride closures.

Last edited:

Ryan120420

I guess that explains why the Single Rider line hasn't been running lately. Even pre COVID, it would be closed on some days.

I was looking at scheduled ride closures on Knott's site and it said that GhostRider is closed now. Does anyone know when it will be back up? I was hoping to get to ride it on an uncrowded weekday sometime in the next few weeks. I remember that Knott's used to say when a ride would reopen when they listed scheduled ride closures.

GhostRider is down for its yearly refurbishment. It will reopen around week that Scary Farm starts, September 16th.

PiratesMansion

Is Scary Farm more expensive than normal, or is it just me?

As much as I'm happy that they're bringing back Puppet Up and are amping up the entertainment, I'm hard pressed to commit with what feels like higher prices and only one new maze (and if this is going to be the last year for one of the mazes, I would appreciate knowing that because it might motivate a trip). The way everything is presented on the website, everything appears to be final.

Nirya

So in the promo video showing the mazes, there's clearly a logo for a new haunt, obscured for an inevitable later announcement. But is this to mean that there will only be one new maze instead of the usual two?

We already know that as promised, Shadowlands and Infected: Special Ops aren't coming back.
If there really are plans to expand into the south side of the park, I wouldn’t be surprised if they left the Mystery Lodge space unoccupied this year, and just put a new maze in the open Xcelerator spot. There’s plenty of other former maze spots that have been left open during the past few years as well (on the lake, backside of Camp Snoopy along the tracks, temp spots in Fiesta Plaza and the bumper cars).

Nirya

As much as I'm happy that they're bringing back Puppet Up and are amping up the entertainment, I'm hard pressed to commit with what feels like higher prices and only one new maze (and if this is going to be the last year for one of the mazes, I would appreciate knowing that because it might motivate a trip). The way everything is presented on the website, everything appears to be final.
I think they’ve hinted at Paranormal Inc being close to the end of its run, along with Pumpkin Eater, and Dark Ride is starting to get near the end of its run. Plus I’m forever shocked that Dark Entities continues to run around.

SplashGhost

I'm not sure what the regular ticket prices have been, since I always get the Scary Farm Pass. I thankfully got one as an addon to my 2020 Platinum Pass, but it sounds like there won't be any other way to get a Scary Farm Pass this year. With the park being so understaffed, I am wondering if that is going to affect the mazes any this year in terms of their being less scare actors than normal. I feel like this will be a weaker year since the park is still recovering from the long closure.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

How come these events don't have a new maze every year? Why do they have the same thing year after year? If I went to a maze this year and next year its the same maze I already experienced and I know what's going to happen already, then why should I pay for the same thing again? Where is the logic in that?

PiratesMansion

I think they’ve hinted at Paranormal Inc being close to the end of its run, along with Pumpkin Eater, and Dark Ride is starting to get near the end of its run. Plus I’m forever shocked that Dark Entities continues to run around.
Dark Entities is honestly the one that galls me, though Paranormal is oldest and is tired past the opening scare, IMO. They could keep Pumpkin Eater and Dark Ride forever as far as I'm concerned. I imagine the new maze is going where Shadowlands was, it's too perfect CarnEvil to go anywhere else.
I'm not sure what the regular ticket prices have been, since I always get the Scary Farm Pass. I thankfully got one as an addon to my 2020 Platinum Pass, but it sounds like there won't be any other way to get a Scary Farm Pass this year. With the park being so understaffed, I am wondering if that is going to affect the mazes any this year in terms of their being less scare actors than normal. I feel like this will be a weaker year since the park is still recovering from the long closure.
I suppose I understand that, I just wish that they didn't just drop Scary Farm passes with (so far as I saw) no advanced warning in the middle of summer. I'm sure that's entirely the reason for only one new maze.

SoCalDisneyLover

I went to Soak City today, and kept looking over at Ghostrider, and never saw a train. Was hoping it wasn't some significant problem, a la Hang Time. Kind of glad to hear it's a regular scheduled downtime. But bummed that it's going to be at least a month before I'll be able to ride it again.

I've heard how Scary Farm has been so packed in recent years, and supposedly the Scary Farm Pass had something to do with that. So I'm a bit relieved there won't be more of those sold beyond what was available for Season Pass Holders to add on in 2020 & 2021. Of course, I'd feel otherwise if I wasn't holding the Pass that I added to the Season Pass I bought in April of this year. I look forward to being able to experience everything over the course of several visits, rather than having to cram it all into one late evening. It's been more than 20 years since I've been to Haunt, so I'm sure I'll be impressed with how much it's been improved in terms of the special effects, which I remember being top notch.

Sailor310

I went to Soak City today, and kept looking over at Ghostrider, and never saw a train. Was hoping it wasn't some significant problem, a la Hang Time. Kind of glad to hear it's a regular scheduled downtime. But bummed that it's going to be at least a month before I'll be able to ride it again.

I've heard how Scary Farm has been so packed in recent years, and supposedly the Scary Farm Pass had something to do with that. So I'm a bit relieved there won't be more of those sold beyond what was available for Season Pass Holders to add on in 2020 & 2021. Of course, I'd feel otherwise if I wasn't holding the Pass that I added to the Season Pass I bought in April of this year. I look forward to being able to experience everything over the course of several visits, rather than having to cram it all into one late evening. It's been more than 20 years since I've been to Haunt, so I'm sure I'll be impressed with how much it's been improved in terms of the special effects, which I remember being top notch.
So, how was Soak City?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom