All things Anaheim GardenWalk

NobodyElse

Was looking at Google Street View to see what it shows regarding the llamas and their history.

March 2020:

This is the first date that shows animals there, and there are a lot of them.

View attachment 707113

Feb 2021:

There's a truck in the shot, but looks like most of the animals are still there.....maybe a few missing.

View attachment 707114

Oct 2021:

Only about 4 animals left and yellow llama is missing:

View attachment 707115

Jul 2022:

This is the latest street view. The only animal showing is a giraffe resting where the llamas used to be.

View attachment 707145

So was the location you saw them the same as in the pics above? Did they move the giraffe and put the llamas back in that place sometime between last July and now?
I never realized there was a full menagerie in 2020.

TP2000

I would suspect with the way they slowly disappeared that they were either stolen or vandalized over time.

I'm afraid you are probably right, what with that area being a "World Class Resort District!" and all. Now that I think about it, it's kind of impressive they lasted as long as they did.

I never realized there was a full menagerie in 2020.

I do remember there being a bunch of them, but most were painted in semi-natural colors. For whatever reason, the two Llamas were painted flourescent blue and green and stuck out even worse than usual, and thus they entered my heart forever. 😍

I just love the thought that the guy who bought GardenWalk at bankruptcy auction and a fire sale price took a walk through his new property not long after signing the paperwork, and when he got to the Disney Way main entrance to the mall he thought to himself... "You know what would look good here? A row of incorrectly scaled yet lovable zoo animal statues! That will really drum up some business for my upscale entertainment mall!" The mind just boggles on how that decision was made...

1680110023051-png.707113

NobodyElse

I just love the thought that the guy who bought GardenWalk at bankruptcy auction and a fire sale price took a walk through his new property not long after signing the paperwork, and when he got to the Disney Way main entrance to the mall he thought to himself... "You know what would look good here? A row of incorrectly scaled yet lovable zoo animal statues! That will really drum up some business for my upscale entertainment mall!" The mind just boggles on how that decision was made...

Perhaps like the Snow White 7 Seven Dwarves statues, they were a gift, and the recipient said "Well, we've got to put them somewhere...".

TP2000

Perhaps like the Snow White 7 Seven Dwarves statues, they were a gift, and the recipient said "Well, we've got to put them somewhere...".

God bless you! Not just for being so generously kind with your criticism, but for also knowing your Disneyland history so well. Bravo! 🤣

DLR92

This mall has potential, I remember walking in 2011 or 2010. It was half empty with stores. Retailers struggling. I thought the ambiance it better than Downtown Disney.

No H&M or Zara. If those were present in the mall, I would hang there when I need a break from the park. I alway ate at the mall when it was lunch and dinner times.

Crazy to see how current owner does not know how manage this mall.

TP2000

Crazy to see how current owner does not know how manage this mall.

I believe the current owner is now the fifth owner of this mall in the last 15 years.

Bob Chapek had a chance to buy this entire mall for pennies on the dollar a few years before Covid, and he passed.

DLR92

I believe the current owner is now the fifth owner of this mall in the last 15 years.

Bob Chapek had a chance to buy this entire mall for pennies on the dollar a few years before Covid, and he passed.
They have ignored the sale when market tanked too. It just further proves Disney sees no value to add this property into their portfolio they own in Anaheim.

TP2000

They have ignored the sale when market tanked too. It just further proves Disney sees no value to add this property into their portfolio they own in Anaheim.

Very true.

But the last time Disney had an easy ability to buy it in the latter 2010's, a few Disney strategists had proposed turning the entirely unused second floor plus basement levels into a "Cast Campus" with CM child care and pharmacy and wellness center (gym and medical clinic) and Partners credit union and dry cleaning and CM grocery store and Starbucks and various other employee support services a CM would want/need on their way to/from work. Plus 1,000+ CM parking spaces in the six levels of above and below ground 2,000+ parking spaces this facility already has.

Bob Chapek passed on that. He didn't think the CM's in Anaheim were worth that cheap investment. Because Bob Chapek was a total asshat.

Last edited:

DLR92

Very true.

But the last time Disney had an easy ability to buy it in the latter 2010's, a few Disney strategists had proposed turning the entirely unused second floor plus basement levels into a "Cast Campus" with CM child care and pharmacy and wellness center (gym and medical clinic) and Partners credit union and dry cleaning and CM grocery store and Starbucks and various other employee support services a CM would want/need on their way to/from work. Plus 1,000+ CM parking spaces in the six levels of above and below ground 2,000+ parking spaces this facility already has.

Bob Chapek passed on that. He didn't think the CM's in Anaheim were worth that cheap investment. Because Bob Chapek was a total asshat.
Wow!
Those resources would greatly benefit the CM. Those thing should still be on the cards with Ball Road Cast Member lot.

TP2000

Wow!
Those resources would greatly benefit the CM. Those thing should still be on the cards with Ball Road Cast Member lot.

I very strongly agree with you. The average Anaheim CM should have the same benefits and perks that the average white-collar cubicle dweller in Burbank receives.

Unfortunately, Bob Iger and then Bob Chapek and then Bob Iger (again) does not agree with that. Thus, the average Anaheim CM has a noticeably inferior daily work experience with perks, benefits, amenities, food service, parking, and health care options. (I purposely leave out the TDA President Du Jour like Colgazier or D'Amaro or Campbell or Potrock or Whatever Comes Next because they don't have the authority to truly make a difference long-term)

Disney's senior executives had an opportunity to fix that huge discrepancy 7 years ago, but they purposely decided not to.

But at least the CM's can now have tats and black nail polish, which is just as good as on-site child care and health services. Right? Right?!?

TP2000

Only if they planned to keep it as a mall. An opportunity to own a large tract of land pretty close to their existing theme park properties seems like a no-brainer. Especially if the price was right.

We discussed this on this board years ago, but it's time for a refresher...

In the plan that TDA had cooked up for Bob Chapek's approval in 2017, the first floor would remain a mall refocused on dining and upscale tourist shopping (the original mall plan was supposed to appeal to tourists and locals). But the second floor would become the core of the "Cast Campus", with many amenities and services that CM's need/want, like: subsidized daycare center, Partners Credit Union bank, low-cost grocery store, low-cost pharmacy, medical/wellness clinic, plus some perks like a Starbucks and a dry cleaners and a Company D store, etc. The 24 Hour Fitness gym in the basement (which was closed) would be turned into a CM-only gym and "healthy lifestyle" center.

Disney knew they had to get both of GardenWalk's empty hotel plots built with 500+ room corporate hotels aimed at the convention crowd, and they were confident if the mall was owned by "Disney!" they could do that quickly and relatively easily, which helped the deal pencil out.

The parking garage in that mall goes three floors underground. Plus all the above ground floors that were built to support the second hotel plot and 3-level condo development on the roof that will likely never be added. There would have been an easy 1,000 extra parking spaces for CM's there.

An investment firm in Dubai outbid Disney's very lowball offer, but then the Dubai firm's financing fell apart. It went back to the second place winner, Disney, and they passed on it because Chapek flip-flopped suddenly, as he was never confident in his decision making when it came to the exotic Anaheim culture. So it went to the third place winner at the bankruptcy auction, and that's the guy who installed the zoo animals on Disney Way. Which tells you something about how lowball the offers truly were, and how cheaply Disney could have picked up this big mall property that has a lot of potential as a mixed use development that would have benefited CM's more than wearing black nail polish.

Again I say, with full throated enthusiasm... Bob Chapek was an asshat.

Last edited:

DLR92

We discussed this on this board years ago, but it's time for a refresher...

In the plan that TDA had cooked up for Bob Chapek's approval in 2017, the first floor would remain a mall refocused on dining and upscale tourist shopping (the original mall plan was supposed to appeal to tourists and locals). But the second floor would become the core of the "Cast Campus", with many amenities and services that CM's need/want, like: subsidized daycare center, Partners Credit Union bank, low-cost grocery store, low-cost pharmacy, medical/wellness clinic, plus some perks like a Starbucks and a dry cleaners and a Company D store, etc. The 24 Hour Fitness gym in the basement (which was closed) would be turned into a CM-only gym and "healthy lifestyle" center.

Disney knew they had to get both of GardenWalk's empty hotel plots built with 500+ room corporate hotels aimed at the convention crowd, and they were confident if the mall was owned by "Disney!" they could do that quickly and relatively easily, which helped the deal pencil out.

The parking garage in that mall goes three floors underground. Plus all the above ground floors that were built to support the second hotel plot and 3-level condo development on the roof that will likely never be added. There would have been an easy 1,000 extra parking spaces for CM's there.

An investment firm in Dubai outbid Disney's very lowball offer, but then the Dubai firm's financing fell apart. It went back to the second place winner, Disney, and they passed on it because Chapek flip-flopped suddenly, as he was never confident in his decision making when it came to the exotic Anaheim culture. So it went to the third place winner at the bankruptcy auction, and that's the guy who installed the zoo animals on Disney Way. Which tells you something about how lowball the offers truly were, and how cheaply Disney could have picked up this big mall property that has a lot of potential as a mixed use development that would have benefited CM's more than wearing black nail polish.

Again I say, with full throated enthusiasm... Bob Chapek was an asshat.
The owner need to focus on marketing the mall to potential tenants instead of putting those silly llamas. LOL

TP2000

Well, things seem to be going super awesome in Anaheim's World Class Resort District as the weather finally warms up!...

Two men were found dead at the Anaheim GardenWalk near Disneyland early Sunday morning following reports of a large fight inside a parking structure.

Officers just before 2:30 a.m. responded to reports of a shooting at the GardenWalk parking structure, Anaheim police Sgt. Jon McClintock said. As the officers were heading to the area, additional callers reported that someone had been run over outside the structure by a fleeing vehicle, the sergeant added.

One man — identified only as a male in his 30s — was found in the structure with at least one gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at the scene, McClintock said.

A second victim — described as a man in his 20s or 30s — was found lying injured on the ground outside the structure and was taken to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, McClintock said. The cause of his death has not yet been determined.

According to the preliminary investigation, there may have been a large fight inside the structure prior to the deaths, McClintock said. It wasn’t immediately clear what could have started the fight, or where the participants were prior to the apparent confrontation in the parking structure.

TP2000

Some names of the deceased and a few details have just been released. :(

The surveillance footage is still being analyzed by the Anaheim Police Department and hasn't been released yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom