All things Anaheim GardenWalk

Phroobar

Original Poster
This thread is made to raise awareness of Anaheim's GardenWalk.

I went to Wondercon at the Convention Center this past weekend and parked over at GardenWalk. GardenWalk is the outdoor mall across the street from Disney's Toy Story parking lot on Katella. It is basically a cement canyon with three levels and a giant hotel on one side with rooms looking down at you. You can constantly walking up hill from street level. Most of the restaurants are at street level and seem to be doing okay.

GardenWalk has three levels themed to the sea, land and sky. The land floor you are surrounded by a cement canyon with fake grass with weeds growing out of it and fake plants. Most of the shops are closed and empty and there are very few customers. Even the iphone repair booth outside is closed. There is chipped paint pretty much everywhere. The shops are strange because they are mostly tourist trap nic nak stuff selling rip off Disney stuff. There are no clothing stores. Most of what is remaining is really weird. There are at least two stories that are filled with gumball machines that sell little bubble toys. There is an "arcade" with ticket claw games. There is a Ride Makers build-an-RC car that was doing pretty well. However, there is a year round Halloween maze with a monster over the door that is abandoned. There is a kids birthday party place. It is similar to a McDonalds playland with hamster tunnels and ball pits. There were a lot of people in there for a few parties. I guess they sell pizza for the parties.

The first floor is themed to the sea with video walls around the support pillars showing swimming fish. I didn't see any shops down there since it was deserted and a little creepy. The bowling ally was down there and looked completely abandoned. No one was bowling and I saw no employees.

The third floor has more closed shops, a dead AMC and House of Blues. There is a sign that says the food court is open but there is a ton of construction in front of it. As I walked over to it, I passed people selling fruit and vegetables in an outdoor market similar to what I would see in poor sections of Chino before the cops shut them down for not having a business license. I'm not sure if they are suppose to be there since there is no signage of an event. The food court has no corporate stores like Taco Bell, Subway or even Panda Express. There isn't even a Hotdog on a Stick. It is just weird stores selling strange Asian or Mexican food. Most of them are closed. The others seemed a little sketchy.

All in all, the place feels like it is falling apart. I saw no mall employees or security and there are very few people. It is clean though but who wants to go to an outdoor mall where your hiking up hill the entire time with minimum theming? The most busy place was the parking garage.

Consumer

Disney's decision to not purchase GardenWalk several years was a major mistake. Plans dating back to the 1990's show that land as potential Resort expansion, being in a perfect location to unify Disneyland, DCA, and any future third gate on the Toy Story Lot.

1679927585096.png

1679927553723.png

1679927233362.png

Phroobar

Original Poster
Another problem with the place is you can't really see it from the street. It looks like the entrance to some restaurants. There are no signs indicating the House of Blues or any shopping there. It's just a big squished hill.

iu

TP2000

I saw them last week. They are on the HOB side. I knew I should of snapped some pics.

Reading these last few posts, I wouldn't wish the roller-coaster of emotions I just experienced on my worst enemy. :depressed:

Could someone please check on these guys, just to be sure? They're on Disney Way, on the west side of the stairs leading up to that trashy discotheque and that low-rent bar.

ResortFriends.JPG

TP2000

I'm going to call a friend of mine in OC who was an investor in GardenWalk 1.0 about 15 years ago. He's still up to speed on its current iteration, and he'll give me the scoop.

Also, I'd bet that the JW Marriott team is angry at how run down and low-rent the mall is now. JW Marriott is supposed to be a premium brand, and it would normally be placed next to a South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island or Century City type development. This doesn't bode well for the future of that hotel, so long as the mall stays in its current format and retail mix and/or abandonment.

SuddenStorm

Also, I'd bet that the JW Marriott team is angry at how run down and low-rent the mall is now. JW Marriott is supposed to be a premium brand, and it would normally be placed next to a South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island or Century City type development. This doesn't bode well for the future of that hotel, so long as the mall stays in its current format and retail mix and/or abandonment.

I have to imagine being near Disneyland and the Convention Center helps, even if the mall itself kind of sucks.

D.Silentu

Whenever GardenWalk comes up, I feel like I need to give a nod to Fire & Ice. That made to order buffet has become a pastime on our arrival night for many Disneyland trips. Being positioned across from House Of Blues seems to be giving it business enough. However, the aforementioned state of GardenWalk does make me nervous each visit, wondering if it may be my last.

SevenSevens

I miss the theater there. It wasn't AMC, but a regional chain with just a handful of theaters. Had dedicated 21+ screenings, really nice chairs, and a real bar to hang out in waiting for your show.

D.Silentu

I remember that theater, I saw the movie Doubt there. It was an adults only showing, which I recall thinking was neat. Of course, I suppose you wouldn't find too many kids or teens going to see that movie in the first place!

TP2000

Whenever GardenWalk comes up, I feel like I need to give a nod to Fire & Ice. That made to order buffet has become a pastime on our arrival night for many Disneyland trips. Being positioned across from House Of Blues seems to be giving it business enough. However, the aforementioned state of GardenWalk does make me nervous each visit, wondering if it may be my last.

I can't wait to tell my old friend that! He's an investor there! (So not involved in the operation of it, but still.)

He originally got involved as an investor for that plum restaurant plot in the mall around 2006. At that time it was going to be a Beach Boys surf themed restaurant that had the backing and approval of Brian Wilson. The deal with Mr. Wilson fell through during the financial panic of '07-'08 and the surf themed restaurant was abandoned. But instead they got Fire + Ice in there. I'm probably forgetting some of the drama, as it's been awhile, but that was the basic story.

It's been a tough slog for Fire + Ice at times, with the collapse of the theaters, the closure of most mall stores, the various mall owners/management firms from out of state, etc. But they are hanging in there in better shape since House Of Blues arrived and they started parking guests across Katella instead of CM's. (They apparently get a bump from people walking back to their car in the evening)

Personally, I would have preferred a Beach Boys restaurant, but that's just me. I would have insisted that my friend get The Monkey's Uncle onto the background music!

truecoat

If people will join us Saturday, we organized a fun run to raise awareness of GardenWalk. Let me know by Friday so they can print more shirts if need be.

fun run.jpg

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Was looking at Google Street View to see what it shows regarding the llamas and their history.

March 2020:

This is the first date that shows animals there, and there are a lot of them.

1680110023051.png

Feb 2021:

There's a truck in the shot, but looks like most of the animals are still there.....maybe a few missing.

1680110148499.png

Oct 2021:

Only about 4 animals left and yellow llama is missing:

1680110216376.png

Jul 2022:

This is the latest street view. The only animal showing is a giraffe resting where the llamas used to be.

1680111716583.png

I saw them last week. They are on the HOB side. I knew I should of snapped some pics.
So was the location you saw them the same as in the pics above? Did they move the giraffe and put the llamas back in that place sometime between last July and now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom