All Star Movies or Pop?

ProjectGemini

Just trying to decide on a hotel for the next trip, which do you guys think is the better resort? We will probably be renting a car, if that makes a difference.

Cosmic Commando

Having stayed at both, I'd choose Movies. Much better atmosphere than Pop. Better and less crowded food court. Much better pool bar. Better main pool.

The whole bus thing, I won't bother getting into again. Let me just say that at the All Stars, "sharing" is a very loose term. It's like saying Yacht and Beach share. It's not as if you're driving all over the place. Oh, the heck with it. If you're staying at Movies:

1.If the buses aren't being shared, end of story.
2.If the buses are being shared and you seriously can't stand being on the bus for an extra 5 minutes, get off at Music and walk.

Having stayed at all the All Stars, it always makes me wonder if the people complaining about the "bus sharing" have ever actually stayed there. If you understand the bus system there, you'd realize it's an advantage.
We did this when we stayed at Movies, and it actually was really nice. For anyone who stays at Movies, I would recommend requesting either Mighty Ducks or 101 Dalmatians. It will give you easy access to the Music bus stops and the Movies bus stops. There were definitely a few times where we used the choice of which bus to take to our advantage. Check out the map here: http://wikimapia.org/#lat=28.3388534&lon=-81.5733039&z=17&l=0&m=b

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

Hello, western NY Disney fans! We have stayed at Pop and ASMu, but not ASMo. We love the lush setting at ASMu and there is lots of seating available at the food court. The food is wonderful at both places. We enjoyed all three stays at Pop too. We have had a room with a king bed at Pop and have stayed in the ASMu suites with queen beds. Both resorts are great and cm service is tops! Don't make your decision on the whole "bus" issue as we found that they rarely shared on our trips; however, if you stay at the AS resorts and if there is a bus for a "neighbor resort" available you can hop on the other bus and a short stroll later be at your resort. You can always go to allears.net and check out the accommodations page and look through their very extensive slide shows on all of the resorts if it helps.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Don't make your decision on the whole "bus" issue as we found that they rarely shared on our trips; however, if you stay at the AS resorts and if there is a bus for a "neighbor resort" available you can hop on the other bus and a short stroll later be at your resort.

Exactly.

I think the people that make an issue of the "bus sharing" have never stayed at the All Stars.

Upvote 0

trylon57

Please remeber that Pop is one of the biggest resorts in the world with 2,880 guest rooms. And I mean the ENTIRE world, not just Disney World! On the other hand, the All-Star Movies resort has only 1,900 guest rooms.Each building at Pop is 4 stories tall. At the All-Stars they are only 3 stories tall. Each building at Pop has 72 more guest rooms than any building at All-Stars. Pop is much more crowded. But I have stayed at all the All_Stars,and at Pop, and there are good things and bad things about all of them. It is not a clear cut answer as to which one is best. Have fun where ever you decide to go!

Upvote 0

Communicore

I'm gonna Pop shortly, and it will be the first time. I had been to the All-Stars numerous times but finally decided to go Pop! Hope the food court and mug area is decent. I ate at an All-Star food court for the first time and the food was ok, but prior to that I just saved my eating for the parks.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Having stayed at both, definitely Pop over ASM.

As for the beds, the rooms in value resorts have either two double (not queen) beds or one queen (although I think I've seen the occasional single king room as well - perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Pop Century has king beds, but they're in the handicapped accessible rooms (so everything is very low to the ground).

Upvote 0

chucknstuff

Screw POP!!!

Sorry for the attitude, we just got back from spending the night at Pop and will never stay there again....

1st reason: lousey front end - no one in line and still waited 20 minutes for check-in great job gang

2nd reason: room smelled like smoke (bldg 10 "the 70's" room 4109) cigarette butts right infornt of room on walkway

3rd reason: rude food court workers.

I know this does not represent the resort as a whole but the 1st impression is always the lasting impression.

I prefer the ASM over all 3 ASR's.

We just wanted to relax after the Disney Dream Cruise - Which was OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Disaddict

I second POP. Also, you don't have to share buses. I just came from All-Star Music, and in the afternoons, the park buses stop at all 3 resorts for pickups and drop offs. :cool:

POP is the way to go. I agree with the above post about the buses. Plus its closer to EPCOT and Hollywood, which is a bonus to my family. It wasnt as noisey as All Star Sports either, which is the only All Stars we have stayed at.

For the time being the bus stop thing is the big benefit for Pop. When Art of Animation opens up, that likely will change.

I would choose Pop. We stayed in the 50's section. I thought the food court was better then the All Star Movies. You have your own bus service...no sharing for now!.....the retail store had(when we were there) a great selection of Disney clothing, that we did not find elsewhere. I was there with my daugher (age 3), and my wife.

They're renting a car. The busses are not an issue. ;)

Pop...the rooms just got an update.

Pop!

Better food court, nicer rooms, newer resort.

Aren't the Movies getting refurbishment too? I thought they were redoing the Toy Story section right now.

My vote would be Pop but only because of the main building area. Nicer food court and nicer gift shop. But we're staying at ASMovies this next trip because we've visited it but never stayed there.

Upvote 0

trylon57

I have stayed at all of the All-Star resorts and have stayed at Pop 7 times, and pixiesteno and captainkidd's comments on page 2 are right on. Good, practical advice from people who know what they are talking about. They hit the nail right on the head with their comments on bus service. Listen to them, they are right!

Upvote 0

powlessfamily4

I just checked out of Pop 2 days ago after having stayed there 8 days. We loved it! I found all of the workers to be VERY pleasant and helpful. We did have a few long lines at the busses but no longer then when we stayed at the ASRs.

Our rooms were clean and nothing was chipped or looked worn. We had a king size and an adjoining double. The king size room had a roll in shower but other than that was exactly like the double.

I have to confess to really loving POP. We were having lunch at the food court and they busted out doing the Hustle. My 20 year old son jumped up and joined in. It was great! What a fun atmosphere! I will be back at POP in Feb. for another 4 days. I can't wait!!

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

Up until my past trip to Pop in the beginning of Sept, I would have totally told you to go with Pop since its newer, but I was so disappointed with the bus transportation to and from the parks this trip, so much so I actually emailed Disney about it when I returned home that I have to say go with Music!!! One of the major reasons that I have chosen Pop in the past was they do not have a shared bus with another resort. Well, let me just say at park closing buses were coming 2 to 3 at a time for the All Stars, and I had been standing in line for well over an hour for 1 Pop bus to come. This happened on multiple occasions and defintely left a sour taste in my mouth about Pop. We typically stay at a Moderate or Deluxe resort when we come, but every so often we like to save some cash and will stay at a value. For now on when we do this, we will definitely go with one of the All Star resorts.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Up until my past trip to Pop in the beginning of Sept, I would have totally told you to go with Pop since its newer, but I was so disappointed with the bus transportation to and from the parks this trip, so much so I actually emailed Disney about it when I returned home that I have to say go with Music!!! One of the major reasons that I have chosen Pop in the past was they do not have a shared bus with another resort. Well, let me just say at park closing buses were coming 2 to 3 at a time for the All Stars, and I had been standing in line for well over an hour for 1 Pop bus to come. This happened on multiple occasions and defintely left a sour taste in my mouth about Pop. We typically stay at a Moderate or Deluxe resort when we come, but every so often we like to save some cash and will stay at a value. For now on when we do this, we will definitely go with one of the All Star resorts.

OP wrote that they'll have a car.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom