All rides in Hollywood Studios closed for technical difficulties (7/12/18)

NormC

The cooling plant operates multiple chillers for capacity and redundancy. Whatever happens (Pump failure/fire, or something ) was critical enough to defeat all the redundancy. Could be as simple as a blown transformers or something that failed which requires shutting everything down to remediate the problem. Everything that was reported indicated a fire of some sort. The repair time line is consistent with this type event.
Thank you for injecting some logic into this thread.

Casper Gutman

Some of you are making a big deal out of this but things happen from time to time, last year all of Universal lost power for a few hours and I know it happened to Disney sometime within the last few years too.
The Uni outage was after park closing and affected most of Citywalk and the hotels. Toothsome and (I believe) Hard Rock stayed up. In fact, the parks themselves might not have been affected even if it had occurred earlier, since I believe they (and Toothsome and Hard Rock) are on a separate system.

The MGM outage does seem to be one of those unavoidable things. However, because the park has been blatantly neglected for over two decades and continues to suffer noticeable cut backs even as new projects open, Disney has very little reason to expect fan good will when an unforeseen problem hits. Blaming management is unfair in this instance, but it’s a direct result of managements own choices.

Tobes58

All Systems GO!! We have it under control!! (For Now)

Green-Army-Men-at-Toy-Story-Land-Now-Include-Women.jpg

WDWTank

A Mickey balloon got caught in a power-line.

Someone left a pair of metal pliers beneath an unprotected circuit board (personal experience).

A bird built a nest right in a critical choke point of the cooling plant.

People stopped believing in fairies, so the ones cooling the air turned grey and withered to dust.

Thanos
snapped his fingers and cut the cooling capacity of DHS in half.

The cooling tower had to be removed to access the yeti.

The cooling plant got too hot in the gondolas.

The cooling plant was structurally unsound due to a sinkhole and the stress caused by the inverted-omnimover system.

Current Disney Management found out that Walt's Frozen Head was inside the cooling station.

Bees.

*Night on Bald Mountain plays*

The coolant tower was shocked at the visibility of the Guardians building, and shut down out of disappointment.

The coolant tower is actually manned by Elsa, but she had a hair appointment conflict and missed out for a few hours.

If they run the coolant tower for only half the day over twice as many days, they can conceal the capital expenditure they spend on cooling.

The coolant tower was traded as part of the Fox deal.

The coolant tower was in the way of the new Monsters Inc attraction.

The coolant tower was converted into a M&G for Zootopia fans.
LOL

Tom Morrow

The Uni outage was after park closing and affected most of Citywalk and the hotels. Toothsome and (I believe) Hard Rock stayed up. In fact, the parks themselves might not have been affected even if it had occurred earlier, since I believe they (and Toothsome and Hard Rock) are on a separate system.
I remember this one, but there was another one that affected both parks during the middle of the day. I was there.

Blaming management is unfair in this instance, but it’s a direct result of managements own choices.
We have no proof that this chiller incident was a result of cutbacks or anything like that.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I’d say they did really well to get things back up again quickly after what was obviously a pretty serious issue.

Any idea of quickly? How long from start to everything back online? I never saw the real timeline posted.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Could you link the proof where neglect was the cause of a chiller fire?

Obviously it's because they stupidly put these parks in the middle of a Florida swamp. Don't you know that guests combust during our summers all the time? It's a wonder any of them ever make it out alive after spending a day in our sun. Chillers? Psh, they have no chance to survive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom