All EPCOT Center, All the Time- Part II

HMF

Actually, Disney is remaking the film with help from Imagemovers (Animation studio behind A Christmas Carol) so maybe it could happen after all...
Folks, Epcot is designed to showcase countries and culture and International brotherhood' not to be a promotional tool for Disney Characters or the Beatles.

muteki

Folks, Epcot is designed to showcase countries and culture and International brotherhood' not to be a promotional tool for Disney Characters or the Beatles.

While that may not be the original intent of the park, it has served that purpose for a while now.

*looks over at Nemo, characters around the world, etc.* :lookaroun

wolf359

I said that the Beatles are Britain's most famous export, NOT that they summed up all of British history. If I gave that impression, I apologize. Jeez, I suggest adding a fun ride to the British section of Epcot and some here go nuts. Go figure.

"Go nuts?" You're talking about shoehorning the Beatles into World Showcase because it would be "fun" in one breath while taking Disney to task for even thinking about using characters they own in the parks in the next. It is those kinds of inconsistencies that are working against your point of view.

And once again, you're ignoring the fact that other characters Disney has purchased the rights to (as opposed to owning them outright) were interpreted in the Disney style and thus a version of them was created that is wholly Disney's. To the public, the characters seem to be Disney's because in a very real sense they ARE Disney's. The passage of time has nothing to do with it; the public thinks those characters are Disney's because Disney put so much of its own creativity and craft into them. And that is very different, by the way, from merely buying some foreign entity and, with no attempt to create a Disney version, simply inserting them into the parks, advertising, etc. It's jarring to say the least and, to my mind, crass and creatively bankrupt. Worse, it violates the spirit of Walt's legacy. It's a base corporate move and nothing more.

How do you explain Star Tours? Disney had an opportunity to do something with one of their own creations, The Black Hole, and decided it would be much more interesting to simply use a more popular property in its place? There is no Disney version of Star Wars, they simply piggyback off of the legacy and universe of an already established franchise.

You may be right about awaiting what the current Disney suits have in mind before condemning the purchases. But it's hard to believe that seeing Spiderman in Disneyland will ever feel okay. The younger generation may have no problem with it...but if that happens, I fear it means that the original Disney identity will be lost forever. And that will be a terrible loss indeed.

Again, look at Star Tours, or Captain Eo, and their popularity. Disney has, and I'm sure will continue to use characters from outside Disney, if they can be used in an interesting way. Adding the Muppets or Marvel to this mix isn't going to make Disney fall apart.

jumblue

With regards to Marvel, I'm fairly certain I've read in a couple places that Disney Management said that Disneyland and MK parks are off-limits for anything Marvel. That said, I'm sure they could find homes in the Studios-like areas of the parks. For instance, I could see Spider-man and friends on the Streets of America, perhaps staging a Frontierland-style fight/showdown with some of the Marvel villians?

For England, or as it's billed on the site United Kingdom, I think a "Tour of the Isle" sort of ride would be fantastic, something in line with Rio del Tiempo. There's such a long and rich history to explore, beyond just the Beatles (though they are the greatest band ever).

An alternative, which I think would have the potential to add some thrills, would be a ride based around on Arthurian Legend, which could tie nicely into an already established Disney Property. Start with a couple scenes from Sword in the Stone and move on to the formation of the Round Table, Arthur's conquest of England, the quest for the grail...

Of course, I wouldn't mind zipping about in a TARDIS either...

mp2bill

An alternative, which I think would have the potential to add some thrills, would be a ride based around on Arthurian Legend, which could tie nicely into an already established Disney Property. Start with a couple scenes from Sword in the Stone and move on to the formation of the Round Table, Arthur's conquest of England, the quest for the grail...

I like this idea!

aladdin2007

It looks like the completion of spaceship earth permit we had been talking about, is simply for electrical work. The dissapointment continues.

WVParkfan

AWESOME suggestion.

FigmentJedi

With regards to Marvel, I'm fairly certain I've read in a couple places that Disney Management said that Disneyland and MK parks are off-limits for anything Marvel. That said, I'm sure they could find homes in the Studios-like areas of the parks. For instance, I could see Spider-man and friends on the Streets of America, perhaps staging a Frontierland-style fight/showdown with some of the Marvel villians?
Or have Thor hanging out around the Norway pavilion.
Norse Gods, even Marvel variants, would be loads better then the random Princess crap.

jt04

Or have Thor hanging out around the Norway pavilion.
Norse Gods, even Marvel variants, would be loads better then the random Princess crap.

I think you will see the pricesses gravitating more and more to the FLE. For instance I'd be suprised if SW is at Germany a couple years from now. I think foamheads are in WS for the long term however. Personally I think they add something if in the proper context. IMHO

aladdin2007

I think you will see the pricesses gravitating more and more to the FLE. For instance I'd be suprised if SW is at Germany a couple years from now. I think foamheads are in WS for the long term however. Personally I think they add something if in the proper context. IMHO

Would love to see Norway's Akershus return to non character dining. Once FLE is completed its going to be overkill, they dont belong in Norway and neither does all the princess merch crap.

JustInTime

Princess won't be leaving Epcot. Disney likes what they have done to the attendance numbers for the younger crowd. And personally, I can't stand the look/feel of anything Marvel. I don't want them in my parks but if any, DHS would do.

Fractal514

Princess won't be leaving Epcot. Disney likes what they have done to the attendance numbers for the younger crowd. And personally, I can't stand the look/feel of anything Marvel. I don't want them in my parks but if any, DHS would do.

Personally I can't stand the look of your face...

I'm just keeeeding!

I love Marvel, and if done tastefully I think they could blend in. As for all the Marvel haters, I just don't get it. Does Kim Possible hurt the park? Do the Princesses or the characters?

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Except you won't because Spiderman is still under Universal for the Orlando market.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom