All boat rides (with the exception of Jungle Cruise) are either currently being drained or will be soon..

UNCgolf

Thanks for the heads up! Fortunately, he's talking more about the "cartoon world" kind of evidence...like being able to hold it's shape, that kind of thing. He's autistic, so emotionally, he's younger than his 14 years. (Even as his mom, I sometimes have to remind myself of that.)

There are substances sort of like that if you want to show him, although water isn't one. They're called shape-memory alloys and shape-memory polymers.

JustAFan

Jungle Cruise overflows into the moat system but not the other way around. The moat is fed by the waterfalls near Friers Nook Bridge. Jungle Cruise recycles via Schweitzer Falls.

AFAIK ROA is a separate entity and obviously shares more with the WDW canal system and MK resort lakes than the park waterways.
Fun fact: I've actually seen the back side of Scweitzer Falls. O2H! O2H! O2H!

Jon81uk

I recall reading somewhere that all the contained water in water rides has to meet swimming pool standards...

Not sure about USA but in the UK on water rides built since 2000-something that involve the guests deliberately getting wet (via mist, splash etc) must meet quality standards to prevent legionnaires disease and other bacterial infections. So older rapids and log flumes where the standard didn't exist when they were built are exempted, but new attractions need to take steps to ensure the water meets quality standards.

Rob562

I feel like I heard somewhere recently that all of the MK rides were connected through some water system and it’s all the same water that filters through. I don’t know if that’s true or not.

From what I read years ago, at one time that was true of some of the water systems at Disneyland. Water started in Rivers of America, went through underground pipes to Jungle Cruise, then flowed to the moat by the castle. From there it was pumped back up to the waterfalls at the RoA. One water system that only needed a single set of pumps. I'll see if I can find a link somewhere.

Edit: Here's a write-up from 2011. (The linked photos aren't working, but it's an interesting read)
I had the direction wrong. The water flows clockwise around the park with Jungle Cruise being the last stop before going back to RoA. The system also includes the Fantasyland waterways, too.

-Rob

Last edited:

DisAl

From what I read years ago, at one time that was true of some of the water systems at Disneyland. Water started in Rivers of America, went through underground pipes to Jungle Cruise, then flowed to the moat by the castle. From there it was pumped back up to the waterfalls at the RoA. One water system that only needed a single set of pumps. I'll see if I can find a link somewhere.

Edit: Here's a write-up from 2011. (The linked photos aren't working, but it's an interesting read)
I had the direction wrong. The water flows clockwise around the park with Jungle Cruise being the last stop before going back to RoA. The system also includes the Fantasyland waterways, too.

-Rob
Evidently WDW uses a similar system. There needs to be at least a little flow to keep the water from going stagnant in the outdoor water areas.
Here is a link to an article on wikipedia:

Last edited:

Rob562

Evidently WDW uses a similar system. There needs to be at least a little flow to keep the water from going stagnant in the outdoor water areas.
Here is a link to an article on wikipedia:

I don't see where that Wikipedia article says anything about the WDW RoA being connected to anything else.

As Martin said, the WDW Jungle Cruise is (somewhat) connected to the Hub waterways that includes the water around the treehouse. However the JC water level is maintained at a foot or two higher than the Hub's, so any extra JC water flows over the dam separating the two and into the Hub waterway. (Depending on the foliage, you can kinda see this dam just to the left of the JC exit)

I doubt the WDW RoA is connected to anything except the canal that leads to Seven Seas Lagoon, and even there the RoA is kept a foot or two higher than the canal, so you'd have a similar runoff setup of water flowing one-way from RoA to the canal.

-Rob

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I doubt the WDW RoA is connected to anything except the canal that leads to Seven Seas Lagoon, and even there the RoA is kept a foot or two higher than the canal, so you'd have a similar runoff setup of water flowing one-way from RoA to the canal.

-Rob
And here's the lock they use to do that with...
1585168876241.png

yensidtlaw1969

You cut out the boat in the canal, gotta have that for the money shot. I had no idea there was a drawbridge and locks there. Amazing after all these years the details still to be discovered.. Anyway here it is

View attachment 458598
If you run the Disney World Marathon, you can go OVER that bridge.

I've run it the past 6 years and we've gone over it every time.

SnowFire

You cut out the boat in the canal, gotta have that for the money shot. I had no idea there was a drawbridge and locks there. Amazing after all these years the details still to be discovered.. Anyway here it is

View attachment 458598
I was actually on that bridge in December but never thought about the purpose of the canal. My son's High School band had the opportunity to march on Main St. and this was the route we used to get the equipment truck back stage.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Those locks are part of the larger total flood management system that spans the entire RCID property. There are similar controls with automatic gates all across the whole property. Most of the systems north of 192 are managed with canals and flood control gates and most below are just left to manage more naturally. There are actually over 40 miles of flood control canals throughout the property to manage water levels and reduce flooding.

They are used to maintain water levels throughout the land during extremes of drought and heavy rain. However, some like these are designed to open and allow passage so they can remove vessels from the Rivers of America space and take them over to the boatyard and dry dock on Bay Lake when extensive refurbishments such as hull work is needed.

WDW Pro

I once heads they don't turn off anything in the magic Kingdom lol

I always find this rumor humorous. At the very least, audio and much of the lights are cycled off during early morning testing via ride controls. And let me tell you, when the audio comes back on in the morning as your working, if you're having a conversation it comes to a halt. The audio volume is set for giant crowds, and NOT for two or three people working on an issue in the queue.

techgeek

Coming soon, we will be offering our fans the once in a lifetime opportunity to own a piece of Walt Disney World® history, by purchasing a bottle of attraction water*. Choose between Jungle Cruise, "it's a small world", Splash Mountain, or Frozen Ever After.

*$199.99 plus tax. All proceeds benefit the Disney Preservation Fund. Sponsored by Belle Delphine.

Bob, I know resources are tight right now but I’d be very interested if you’re able to expand this offering to include “World Showcase lagoon ‘fireworks fallout’ water”, and “Cinderella castle’s magical moat water”. Will there be a limited edition combo 6-pack?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom