Alien Swirling Saucers

ColinP29

The other person mentioned thrilling. It has nothing going for it, whatsoever. The fact a 3year olds like it is largely irrelevant because we are talking Disney. 3 year olds like rides at the state fair too, which is where this one belongs.

If three year olds like it, then it has something going for it. I would assume a decent amount of children will like it. One ride out of the huge number there are at Disney world that isn't as thrilling as you would like isn;t a huge issue. You're not the measuring stick for rides.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Jon81uk

The reason Radiator was brought up is bc Cars Land has a similar attraction to Alien, but that works because not only is Mater better than Alien, there is a true E-Ticket to offset a weaker attraction. Toy Story needs a stronger showing.

The E ticket in Toy Story land is Toy Story Mania. The issue is, that is an existing attraction.

Toy Story Land has an E (Mania), D (Slinky) and a C/D (Aliens). Cars Land has an E (Racers), C/D (Mater) and a C (Luigi).

geekza

The E ticket in Toy Story land is Toy Story Mania. The issue is, that is an existing attraction.

Toy Story Land has an E (Mania), D (Slinky) and a C/D (Aliens). Cars Land has an E (Racers), C/D (Mater) and a C (Luigi).
Is TSM really an E Ticket attraction, though? I'm not doubting that it's fun, but it's riding horizontally along a series of screens where you essentially play a video game with more elaborate controllers. I'd call that more like a very solid D Ticket. Right now, the only E Ticket attractions that DHS has are the ToT and RnRC. Maybe Star Tours. Once GE opens, I feel fairly certain that Toy Story Land will be the place you go through on your way out of GE as opposed to a destination.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster

OK, let's explore that.

Toy Story Midway is not an E if Racers is an E, agreed? Plus, DL already has TSM.

Slinky is a C (no inside queue or attraction, short, very little theming. It's not even near 7DMT and that has been called a solid "D" attraction.

Alien is an A ticket.

Mania already existed, so we are really talking about 2 new attractions in TSL...a C ticket Slinky and an A ticket Alien (my opinion).

Jon81uk

That is not the prevailing issue with most objections.
The issue is that the land was an embarrassing addition due to its super cheap execution.

Carsland, conversely, shows an impressive budget.

Cars Land is more comparable with Star Wars land. It was also one expensive land and one cheap land coming to Hollywood Studios.

Toy Story Land always was going to be a small land with two new attractions and one existing one. Yes the original design artwork showed Slinky dug into trenches more and a better meet & greet or quick service building. But Aliens was a clone of Mater from day one.
The land should be compared more with Bugs Land or Paradise Pier as a quick additional land not a big impressive one in the style of Star Wars and Cars.

Mania in Florida would definitely be an E ticket due to its popularity, it might now drop to a D as the queues have gone down recently. But for the last few years it was one of the most popular attractions in the park and was/is a tier one Fast Pass.

danyoung56

If we're going with letter grades -

Toy Story Midway Mania - D
Slinky - D
Alien Swirling Saucers - B/C

While in DCA -

Radiator Springs Racers - E
Mater's Spin - B/C
Luigi's Dancing Cars (or whatever they call it) - C

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
If three year olds like it, then it has something going for it. I would assume a decent amount of children will like it. One ride out of the huge number there are at Disney world that isn't as thrilling as you would like isn;t a huge issue. You're not the measuring stick for rides.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's wrong.
Is 3 year olds liking it the measuring stick? And how many 3 year olds like it? Where is that study?

Point is, we can look at attractions and question/discuss whether or not it meets the expectations of what an experienced guest to Disney has enjoyed over decades. As I said, if 2 new attractions are being built, it's disappointing this passes as acceptable.

As an example, DHS got 2 new rides in an "area" during the mid 1990s. They were Tower of Terror and Rock N Rollercoaster. Sure, these are different target audiences, but just look at the dollars spent, scale, theming, queues, detail, physical structures, etc. These are objective measures we can discuss. My contention is that BOTH of the 2 new rides got minimal theming, no indoor queue, no indoor attractions, already have peeling paint, no discernible "theme," no pre-show, no post show, are very short, and don't even have air conditioning.

When you're building a an entirely new land, there are minimums I'd like to see as a paying guest. 3 year olds don't pay for Disney vacations, so parents need to be impressed too. I am not.

If you feel differently, point out some reasons that it's a solid attraction other than "kids like it" and we can have a more meaningful discussion.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
If we're going with letter grades -

Toy Story Midway Mania - D
Slinky - D
Alien Swirling Saucers - B/C

While in DCA -

Radiator Springs Racers - E
Mater's Spin - B/C
Luigi's Dancing Cars (or whatever they call it) - C
While this is not unreasonable, I do think we need to discuss Slinky as a "D." If 7DMT is a "D" Slinky is a "C" because of its queue, theme, no show building, and being completely outdoors. Many call 7DMT a D and I tend to agree due to its length, give up brake zone scene, and failing to meet lofty expectations.

Radiator Springs is like a EE. Just Radiator Springs Racers is better than all of TSL. Alien definitely leans to a B, if not an A...Mater is definitely better.

Mania already existed. I think many gripe about the 2 new rides being what they are if we had mania for 10 years.

Damon7777

Mania in Florida would definitely be an E ticket due to its popularity,

You truly do not understand the 'E'

Attractions do not achieve E status due to popularity. E's(like other letter designations) are most certainly not based on popularity.

E status is based on scope and scale--- in short, how ambitious the attraction is.

Last edited:

MagicRat

For what they were going for, Disney did an excellent job. They wanted an all inclusive spot for families. I even noticed that the space on the roller coaster was roomier than 7 Dwarves. I am not a big guy but I believe that was a complaint when the mine train opened up. It checks the boxes for something with some speed but not too scary. It has a ride that parents can sit together with small children and we have an added track to a very popular ride. We can’t always have Tron and Everest built. That is just limiting your base.

The Mom

Premium Member
If anyone thinks a post is snide, insulting, etc please report it ASAP - and please do not respond to it. It makes it much easier to clean up a thread without having to delete as many posts. But I cannot, and do not, read every single update to every thread, so unless they are reported, some posters will travel under the radar.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I kind of like the concept of "Alien Swirling Saucers".... I've not gone on it. But I have a pretty good idea of where it came from :). I rode these, a good 56 years ago, at DisneyLAND :).

graphite1326

Yes but that whip ride a knoebels is 100000 times better than the alien saucers. My 8 yr old son who still loves these style kid rides wondered why the wait was so long for such a bad ride. I thought they were terrible and would never waste time walking back to them ever again. But I’m sure that makes someone happy as my family will never take up space in that line. Slinky dog was good but I wouldn’t wait more than 20 minutes for it and would be hesitant to use a fast pass on it.
Kinda the same way I feel about 7 Dwarfs Mine Train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom