Alien Swirling Saucers

Mama23girls

It whips back and forth, you slide from once side of the saucer to the other. You are generally moving forwards (but in a circle) and whipping side to side, you never spin around like teacups.

There isn't a comparable ride at WDW.
I'll have to look for a video of the ride on youtube. Thanks!

Nezumi Fan

Toy Story Land is fantastic in the sense it allowed me to easily obtain FP's for TSM and wait less than 15 minutes in standby. Didn't care much for Mater's in CA so passed on the saucers. Did Slinky for the first and probably final time as I thought it was quite lackadaisical - and that was from the back row.

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is great, though (disclosure: DLR is our home park). Thrill-wise, sure, it may not be the most jam-packed, but some rides are as much about ambiance and fun as excitement. We love the original Mater songs and we love the theming. We'll always make time for Mater on the way to or on the way back from RSR.

Soccerdrama

We rode it last month with our two grandsons, ages 6 and 10. We really enjoyed the ride! We waited about 45 minutes in line and played on the Play Disney app during the wait. The new area needs more shade but other than that, we had a great time.

HwdStudio

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we are talking Alien Swirling Saucers, right? I'm absolutely puzzled that anyone could think this is a passable Disney attraction in 2018, particularly if it's the 2nd of only 2 new rides in a brand new land.

I'm actually sad if some people like it, because they've forgotten greatness. I get it...it's not an E-Ticket, but you have to consider the entire "land" was built with only 2 new rides. If we got 4, this is fine, but we only got 2 and even Slinky is a C-Ticket type attraction. 7DMT is FAR, FAR better than Slinky and it's probably only a solid D-Ticket.
Carsland at Disneyland has one and it opened as part of Carsland. It’s very popular. It was one of 3 attractions opening with that land and the flying tires wasn’t opened long.

raymusiccity

Correct me if I am wrong, isn't this ride a take off of the old Whip ride?

You're getting warm. It just belongs on the back of a truck !

whip-ride.jpg

ColinP29

That's the thing...it's not only bad, it's not even close to thrilling. Teacups is WAY more intense, assuming you actually spin your wheel.

It's more tame than Astro Orbiter and not even close to the E-Tickets you named. I personally can ride the teacups without the spinning, but can't with it. I really think you'll be fine on Alien, but it's not even worth it unless you literally walk on it.

You realise this is aimed at younger children and not thrill seeking adults?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

While that may be true (is it?) I'd argue that the classic Whip ride was designed for all ages (see video above) Sadly, this modern variant does appear slower and less thrilling. By design? Idk. But it is underwhelming to many.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Carsland at Disneyland has one and it opened as part of Carsland. It’s very popular. It was one of 3 attractions opening with that land and the flying tires wasn’t opened long.
I’ve done it...it’s better than Alien and Radiator Springs totally destroys Slinky Dog...it’s an incredible attraction. We got nothing close to that in Toy Story Land.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
The other person mentioned thrilling. It has nothing going for it, whatsoever. The fact a 3year olds like it is largely irrelevant because we are talking Disney. 3 year olds like rides at the state fair too, which is where this one belongs.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
And the Haunted Mansion is better than Dumbo. So what?
So...we got a land with a B- coaster and an F- spinner fit for a carnival in the new "land." The "so" is this is Disney and they should have produced something better or done 4 attractions with this being the 4th.

If you don't want to discuss this, there are other threads.

danyoung56

I have no trouble discussing this. I just think your comparison to Cars Land wasn't valid. The entire land in DCA was conceived to bring a super headliner into a park that didn't have much to be proud of. Toy Story Land obviously had a different goal - to give kids something to do in a well themed area, and they were completely successful. Just because they didn't have the equivalent of Radiator Springs Racers is no reason to pooh-pooh the entire land.

Nj4mwc

Correct me if I am wrong, isn't this ride a take off of the old Whip ride?

Yes but that whip ride a knoebels is 100000 times better than the alien saucers. My 8 yr old son who still loves these style kid rides wondered why the wait was so long for such a bad ride. I thought they were terrible and would never waste time walking back to them ever again. But I’m sure that makes someone happy as my family will never take up space in that line. Slinky dog was good but I wouldn’t wait more than 20 minutes for it and would be hesitant to use a fast pass on it.

Paper straw fan

I’ve only rode once, but for me it whipped me around even worse than tea cups ever has. I tried to brace but I still got rammed into the sides a couple times, bashing my shoulder. It beat me up more than anything else last trip. (Un)fortunately? I have a FP for it again in October, as we’re going w people who haven’t rode. I’ll have to see if knowing what’s coming a little helps me avoid some of the abuse, but I’d lean towards this being another throwaway ride like Navi river journey.

If people like it though, great, maybe it keeps people away from other stuff I want to go on.

I do really like Slinky Dog tho, way better than 7DMT

Paper straw fan

It does not get better with more rides, no.

Well I was trying (barely) to stay positive! personality I’d rather do TSM but we’re playing good hosts, and for some reason my wife really likes the saucers. If I come away beat to he11 again I’ll likely just do TSM if we get shut out of Slinky FP’s next time.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I have no trouble discussing this. I just think your comparison to Cars Land wasn't valid. The entire land in DCA was conceived to bring a super headliner into a park that didn't have much to be proud of. Toy Story Land obviously had a different goal - to give kids something to do in a well themed area, and they were completely successful. Just because they didn't have the equivalent of Radiator Springs Racers is no reason to pooh-pooh the entire land.
The reason Radiator was brought up is bc Cars Land has a similar attraction to Alien, but that works because not only is Mater better than Alien, there is a true E-Ticket to offset a weaker attraction. Toy Story needs a stronger showing.

Surfin' Tuna

Well I was trying (barely) to stay positive! personality I’d rather do TSM but we’re playing good hosts

This is how I ended up on it more than once. My wife even gave me the, "I'll go and you can wait here" out, but genius me thought I'd give it two more chances. If it wasn't so rough, it might be okay, but it feels like a 10 year old ride. Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom