Alien Encounter

jonnykeogh

Original Poster
Possibly my favourite ride along with Tower of Terror in Disney World. Certainly my favourite in Magic Kingdom. But they decided to replace it with a lame ride in Stitch's Great Escape. I was gutted when they announced it was not there no more. Loved this ride!!

I thought that attraction was not very attractive. I have yet to see the Stitch replacement, but I would guess they are similar. I am glad you liked it, but I thought it to be not so hot. I liked "if you had wings" before it was "dreamflight" and now, the Buzz Lightyear ride.

Ilovewishes

Possibly my favourite ride along with Tower of Terror in Disney World. Certainly my favourite in Magic Kingdom. But they decided to replace it with a lame ride in Stitch's Great Escape. I was gutted when they announced it was not there no more. Loved this ride!!

I totally agree! Alien frightened the life out of me (although it's not so good for little kiddies!) and Stitch just doesn't match up! It's just nowhere near as good for thrills!

LuLaSue

It was a sad day for me when Alien Encounter closed. I thought it was a super imaginative attraction. I am not a person to scare easily but, it got me to jump every time. I loved it!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I to loved AE, it is my understanding that up until M:S and its issues AE was the most complained about ride in all of WDW. A change was inevitable.

Alexx

I totally agree! Alien frightened the life out of me (although it's not so good for little kiddies!) and Stitch just doesn't match up! It's just nowhere near as good for thrills!

Thats why they got rid of it, Magic Kingdom is supposed to be a place for little kids to enjoy themselves etc, I went on it for the first time when I was 6 (i'm 15 now) and I cried for 15 minutes straight, it scared the hell out of me. I prefer the stitch ride(except when you get kids like my age screaming and talking through it) *hides from the flames*

dxwwf3

While I to loved AE, it is my understanding that up until M:S and its issues AE was the most complained about ride in all of WDW. A change was inevitable.

And sadly we will probably never see another attraction geared completely for adults in the parks (especially the MK) again. There is never any problem with things JUST for kids, but Heaven forbid Disney doing something that isn't for kids. It is frustrating, but as long as family thrill rides like Expedition Everest are done that well, it isn't the end of the world.

unkadog

And sadly we will probably never see another attraction geared completely for adults in the parks (especially the MK) again. There is never any problem with things JUST for kids, but Heaven forbid Disney doing something that isn't for kids. It is frustrating, but as long as family thrill rides like Expedition Everest are done that well, it isn't the end of the world.

Good point!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Very true. But that is the way of things the way of the Mouse. WDW is made for the young and the young at heart and I am good with that. I am not super hip on having the crap scared out of me and Disney has enough attractions that IMHO push me right to the edge of my comfort level (Dinosaur comes to mind)

dxwwf3

WDW is made for the young and the young at heart and I am good with that.

That's the truth. And there was nothing that made me feel more like a kid that AE did. Not everyone has the same idea of what being a kid at heart is.

And honestly let's not continue to overexaggerate the scare level of AE, especially compared to things like Dinosaur. There just wasn't much difference. IMO, it was this opinion that everything at the MK has to be for kids is what did the attraction in. That opinion makes me very upset to this day, but people are still entitled to it. The MK always was much more than that to me, but that is just me.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's the truth. And there was nothing that made me feel more like a kid that AE did. Not everyone has the same idea of what being a kid at heart is.

And honestly let's not continue to overexaggerate the scare level of AE, especially compared to things like Dinosaur. There just wasn't much difference. IMO, it was this opinion that everything at the MK has to be for kids is what did the attraction in. That opinion makes me very upset to this day, but people are still entitled to it. The MK always was much more than that to me, but that is just me.
When you are running a business you generally have to go along with the majority. You also have to deal with the stupidity of the masses as well. If people had read the warnings on AE and thought "Hmmmm, maybe I should not let little Timmy who has a panic attack everytime I turn his lights out for bed, go on AE" chances are it would still be in MK.

dxwwf3

When you are running a business you generally have to go along with the majority. You also have to deal with the stupidity of the masses as well. If people had read the warnings on AE and thought "Hmmmm, maybe I should not let little Timmy who has a panic attack everytime I turn his lights out for bed, go on AE" chances are it would still be in MK.

Exactly. There's no denying that point and now I lay the blame on the masses much more than I do with Disney.

clapmadog

I thought that attraction was not very attractive. I have yet to see the Stitch replacement, but I would guess they are similar. I am glad you liked it, but I thought it to be not so hot. I liked "if you had wings" before it was "dreamflight" and now, the Buzz Lightyear ride.

Can you tell me a bit about "if you had wings" as iv never heard of it.

Dreamflight use to be one of my favourite ride. I still go arround humming the choon to myself, makes me smile :lol:

YFWE

I must say, Alien Encounter scared me senseless the first time I visited (when I was 8). Loved it when I visited the next time. Then this February when I returned, I decided to try out the replacement ride for it. Absolutely terrible, I though; lost all of what Alien Encounter ever had. (Whatever that was. Can't think of a good word to describe it.) Quite sad, actually. =/

SonicRuin

What was AE like?

My son LOVED Stitch, but the rest of us were greatly let down by it. I loved the beginning, as the alien that they capture and send to the tube in the front was great, and I loved the way he moved. I also loved the way Stitch moved, but otherwise it was pretty darn boring. My son, who is 4, loves everything Stitch so it was obvious he was going to like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom