ALF's Back in Illuminations!

ROEFan88

Can someone enlighten me - which is the ALF, the comet from shore or the 'Big Bang' shell? Should probably know this (as my username would suggest) but I've always noticed that the 'Big Bang' is either VERY big, and well positioned so it looks like it came from the comet, or it's a lot smaller, and is completely separate from the comet. Anyone understand what I mean? :confused:

I've only seen the really 'Big Bang' in videos - it's always been smaller when I've seen the show in person.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
All. The first 3 pyro charges are all ALF; the initial comet, then two charges that make up the big bang. Regular powder charges (non ALF) didn`t seem to always hit the mark (literally)

WDW Monorail

This is good news. My only concern is that the opening comet will be mush more clearly visible by guests watching from one of the pavillions and not WOrld Showcase Plaza which in my opinion, the show was designed for that audience.

Can someone enlighten me - which is the ALF, the comet from shore or the 'Big Bang' shell? Should probably know this (as my username would suggest) but I've always noticed that the 'Big Bang' is either VERY big, and well positioned so it looks like it came from the comet, or it's a lot smaller, and is completely separate from the comet. Anyone understand what I mean? :confused:

I've only seen the really 'Big Bang' in videos - it's always been smaller when I've seen the show in person.

The first device launched is a comet that contains no explosive charge on board. The reason the 2 explosive shells are used with this effect is to prevent any explosive from traveling over guest areas.

Rob562

This is good news. My only concern is that the opening comet will be mush more clearly visible by guests watching from one of the pavillions and not WOrld Showcase Plaza which in my opinion, the show was designed for that audience.

Well, it'll be a nice change, then. :) I usually watch from the Norway/Mexico area, and the comet is pretty much head-on from there. I don't think it detracts from the effect. The comet has to be heading directly at SOME point on the opposite side of the Lagoon...

Besides, the beauty of RoE is that it truly allows for viewing in almost all areas of World Showcase. It's not designed to be "perfect" from one place and "acceptable" from another...

-Rob

ROEFan88

Thanks for explaining a lot of stuff, but I'm still slightly confused - is the 'Big Bang' firework the same in all shows, just sometimes misaligned with the comet? It just seems like the explosion itself is smaller when I've seen it in person, as opposed to being HUGE in some videos I've seen.

This video shows the firework as I've seen it in person:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9rIIHO6sZE

Compare it to this:
http://www.veoh.com/videos/e81964q9eqgY8M?searchId=2079650324263754648&rank=0

The misalignment is understandable (it's amazing that it even can be achieved, IMO) but the first explosion in the second video is the best I've ever seen it. It's not only perfectly positioned, but looks a lot bigger.

goodolgm

In the first video, those are the traditional-style shells, when ALF was 'under refurbishment.' The comet was launched from one of the perimeter shoreline locations, followed by the launch of two of the 'finale' shells, which often burst non-simultaneously, and often far from the comet.

The second video contains the ALF shells, which are shot by compressed air. The comet is launched off of one of the UK building rooftops (not anymore...now the American Gardens theater roof so as not to affect guest traffic flow). The comet is then met by two air-launched and electronically-timed shells, set to explode at a precise moment. This effect is far more dramatic and large, as opposed to two regular shells.

WDW Monorail

You can clearly distinguish that there are 2 different shells being used in those videos. One is smaller, one is much larger. It would depend on the availability of a certain shell in order for it to be used or it was just a test.

ROEFan88

In the first video, those are the traditional-style shells, when ALF was 'under refurbishment.' The comet was launched from one of the perimeter shoreline locations, followed by the launch of two of the 'finale' shells, which often burst non-simultaneously, and often far from the comet.

The second video contains the ALF shells, which are shot by compressed air. The comet is launched off of one of the UK building rooftops (not anymore...now the American Gardens theater roof so as not to affect guest traffic flow). The comet is then met by two air-launched and electronically-timed shells, set to explode at a precise moment. This effect is far more dramatic and large, as opposed to two regular shells.

Thanks, it took me a while :)hammer: ) but I get it now. Hope the ALF stays in regular use; I'd love to see it next time I go and it's SO much better than the effect that's been used for the last year or so.

epcotrocks2007

Yes! Fantastic news! I'm really loving all of this TLC Epcot seems to be getting lately.

Rob, the Globe should go down for rehab in April. They'll show a revised version of the show during its absence (about 2 minutes shorter with new pyro)

One other thing...if anyone is there tonight, report back if ALFs were in tonight's show. They may have just tested it yesterday and it hasn't been fully implemented.

I will be leaving my homeland (the Philippines) on March 26 but I'll be in Florida on April 5 (returning home on April 19)... I'm going to be in Epcot I don't know when but some people in MouseTimes said that it's not true or something. The show won't be complete without the globe...

drdoom1001

I don't know much about ALF,to me he's that alien from the 80's show,but I saw Illuminations this past sunday 3/18 and noticed a couple of changes.First the opening narration seemed a bit different and then the fireworks that get launched from near the torches all around the WS did not go off.The narration change did not bother me but I love those fireworks and I'm wondering if it was just a one time thing or are they gone for good!!!

WDWGuide

I don't know much about ALF,to me he's that alien from the 80's show,but I saw Illuminations this past sunday 3/18 and noticed a couple of changes.First the opening narration seemed a bit different and then the fireworks that get launched from near the torches all around the WS did not go off.The narration change did not bother me but I love those fireworks and I'm wondering if it was just a one time thing or are they gone for good!!!

Per boo52: I am pretty sure that they [the launch of the perimeter comets] are determined by either wind direction and speed and whether there is a safety breach where a guest is on the wrong side of the fence.

MickeyTigg

Air-Launch Firework.

Basically, traditional mortar shells in firework shows are launched by a gunpowder charge. Creating smoke and a loud thud. ALF is a technology where the mortar is launched out of a tube with compressed air, and is detonated by a microchip if I'm not mistaken. Basically, no gunpowder smoke, and no loud thud.

Oh good...for a minute I thought you were talking about the furry character from the old 80's TV show.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0090390/

CrashNet

Per boo52: I am pretty sure that they [the launch of the perimeter comets] are determined by either wind direction and speed and whether there is a safety breach where a guest is on the wrong side of the fence.
Yep, you're right. It is a safety precaution for high winds, regardless of the direction (since the show is "in the round"). Weather and wind are checked 10 to 15 minutes prior to the show, similar to Fantasmic in that they check it in a wide radius around the property. If there is possibility for high winds, they disable the perimeters for guest safety.

If you want to be technical, the perimeters would be disabled if the force of the launch charge was less than the force of the wind. This would mean the wind would quickly overcome the force exerted from the launcher, blowing the piece of pyro off course...

...:lookaroun...I'll stop now...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom