Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

Otterhead

I don't understand why people here are equating drinking to be drunk. I would safely place a bet that the majority of adults having a drink at WDW are not doing so to get wasted.
I very much enjoy having a drink with my meal at WDW -- or a unique beverage like the "Tipsy Ducks in Love" at China -- but there's a huuuuge difference between enjoying a cocktail or a sip of sake and being drunk. Being drunk in a hot, loud, crowded, chaotic place sucks. On my most recent trip, one of my friends came along, and he kept talking about 'drinking around the world' and getting wasted in EPCOT. After the very first day, he said "Disney World is like the worst place in the world to get drunk in. It's expensive, hot, and loud. Who would waste their trip getting wasted here?"

Otterhead

The problem at EPCOT is during the festivals a not inconsiderable number of people set out to do the 'EPCOT pub crawl' i.e. get a drink in every country and FW.
I've noticed over the last ten years of F&W that the beverage amounts at the stalls have gotten a bit smaller and there don't seem to be any cocktails anymore; with the passports, they're aware how many people 'take on the challenge' and seem to have toned things back a bit accordingly.
A few years back, some friends and I decided to fill our passports, sharing sips of drinks and bites of food to qualify. By no means did we want to get drunk -- we had a lot of eating & drinking to do! But we stopped by the Singapore booth and a kindly granny there suggested we get her Singapore Slings. They were candy-sweet, and soon after we all realized how lethally strong they were. It's the only time I've been drunk at WDW, and it was not a pleasant situation.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Ah yes, foliage. The public vomit receptacle of choice for the classy, discerning gentleman.

That's me. All class.

The poster may well have seen someone puking in the bushes. Might not have been drunk. I have seen several people during F+G that have puked from heat stroke.

Errr....Right!!! Heat stroke. I was suffering from a sever case of heat stroke. Perfect.

raven

Here's the truth when it comes to people getting drunk on property: it's all about money for Disney. Yes, those CMs go through a "Tips" class (recognizing when a guest has had too much and how to kindly deny serving them more) but it all comes down to pushing sales really. If the guests want to spend their money on alcohol, Disney is welcome to that.

You have to remember this isn't Walt's company anymore. It's a NYSE corporate giant and they are in it to win it. They will do whatever they want to keep that cash flowing from guests pockets.

Luxe

You're at a theme park. I'll puke in the bushes if I go on the teacups.

Alcohol is available. Seeing drunkenness is a risk.

There, now we have set reasonable expectations.

Monitoring others' cups is more offensive to me than a happy drunk. But again, we all have different sensibilities. Just coexist.
I'm just pointing out the possibilities. I'm not saying I disagree, just that it can happen.

Otterhead

You're at a theme park. I'll puke in the bushes if I go on the teacups.
One more drunkenness story: on another trip to F&W, we went with a friend who was generally a teetotaler, prone to motion sickness. But he had a few glasses of wine and decided it'd be a great idea to go on Mission Space.

No, he didn't puke on Mission Space. He saved it for the next ride: Energy, where he vomited next to the vehicles and collapsed. The CMs were so excited to dust off their safety manual (literally: it had the old Energy logo on it and looked 30 years old). They said this was the first guest incident they'd had in years on that ride.

dreamfinder

I've noticed over the last ten years of F&W that the beverage amounts at the stalls have gotten a bit smaller and there don't seem to be any cocktails anymore; with the passports, they're aware how many people 'take on the challenge' and seem to have toned things back a bit accordingly.

Is it toning back the booze? Or turning up the profit. The cups have gotten smaller, but pretty sure the prices have stayed the same or gone up. Cocktails take time, someone needs to measure, even if it just means turning the bottle over and letting the auto-flow tip (or whatever they are called) do their magic. Faster services means more drinks sold per hour when busy, means more profit.

21stamps

Here's the main thing that I've learned in all of my Disney planning the past several months-

We have morphed into a raging judgemental society who can't accept anything that doesn't fit their own personal preferences.

When this change took place is beyond me.

In fairness it isn't only here though..from gorilla incidents to Disney parks, people have shocked me this year. @Tony the Tigger summed it up, "Just coexist"

Kman101

And one persons experience doesn't reflect the majority. The park is open all year, plenty of time for wasted people to puke in the bushes.

Exactly. One person's experience doesn't reflect the majority. Because you witnessed this behavior doesn't mean it's always commonplace. I have visited the parks frequently and haven't once seen someone throwing up or exhibiting uncontrollable behavior. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Like a lot of things "Drunkytown", etc. has become a rhetoric around here that gets repeated regardless of experience.

Otterhead

Is it toning back the booze? Or turning up the profit.
I think it's both of those things. Raising prices makes people angry; making portions smaller has the same effect while giving people less booze anyway. The point of a wine pairing is supposed to be for flavor, anyway, not to maximize your alcohol intake.

Kman101

You can choose to pretend it didn't happen but I did see it with my own eyes. I see it happen at least twice a trip. Next time I'll take a picture just for you, would that help you believe?

Maybe you should take a picture. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but twice a trip? I can't tell you how many times I *haven't* seen this. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So in other words.. 2 people out of thousands. Totally sounds like the "majority" as was charged.

Side note, it's been a few years, but F&W was not the way people describe it now back when I used to visit. I've read that HHN is a picture of sobriety and F&W is full of pukers in recent years.

I love both of those events so much..but typically HHN was the one with the probability of getting bumped into by someone who had 1 too many..although still I never witnessed anyone vomit there either.
I actually agree with you on this topic. Ive heard/read more stories about HHN having issues with large groups of "tough guys" picking fights or starting trouble (most likely from pre-gaming too hard) And as F&W veterans who have turned people watching into a sport, my wife and I have never seen anyone vomit at Epcot. We have seen a few college aged students get somewhat loud but never offensive or problematic. Ive never understood the horror stories people tell of WS seeming to be some form of post apocalyptic Thunder Dome full of drunken hooligans.

Ive been 10 drinks deep at Epcot but always kept myself under control. The biggest problem I ever had was a time when My father, brother, and I got so hammered once that we walked all the way to the bus top to return to our resort, only to realize that we were staying at Yacht and Beach Club....so we turned around and walked back thru the park to get home. Oh the horror!

Otterhead

People can be loud and obnoxious at the parks without a single drink ... tour groups anyone? I try not to let what someone else is doing affect me. If they aren't hurting anyone, so what?
I've seen plenty of people being loud at F&W, but I think I've seen far more loud & obnoxious people at Magic Kingdom, just screaming at their kids or yelling at someone in their way. I've never seen a belligerent drunk or the stereotypical bush-puker. And while the tour groups can be annoying (and kind of creepy), the only time I've gone to CMs to complain about an obnoxious group was a large crew of people on my recent trip wearing matching Where's Waldo outfits with "WE'RE GETTING F**D UP AT EPCOT!" written across the backs. There's being loud, and then there's being obscene, and that's where I draw the line.

The_Jobu

I've seen plenty of people being loud at F&W, but I think I've seen far more loud & obnoxious people at Magic Kingdom, just screaming at their kids or yelling at someone in their way. I've never seen a belligerent drunk or the stereotypical bush-puker. And while the tour groups can be annoying (and kind of creepy), the only time I've gone to CMs to complain about an obnoxious group was a large crew of people on my recent trip wearing matching Where's Waldo outfits with "WE'RE GETTING F**D UP AT EPCOT!" written across the backs. There's being loud, and then there's being obscene, and that's where I draw the line.

What's wrong with people getting food up at Epcot?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom