"Aladdin" live action movie remake

Mike S

I’m beginning to wonder why I had such an adverse reaction to this movie. It’s the first remake I’ve seen where this happened. I don’t think it had much to do with expectations going in as @BrianLo said he also had low expectations going in and he ended up liking it. My brother had the same reaction I did and he went into it more positively. I’m not saying maybe I’m being too harsh because everything I’ve outlined before is my honest opinion. I just really didn’t think it was that good especially against the original. Other people are loving it though so idk.

michmousefan

A movie like this will succeed or fail largely on the response to the Genie. I'll admit I was skeptical going in, but I think that Will Smith absolutely nailed it... and that's in spite of the rather inconsistent CGI work on him... sometimes it was great, other times it looked like a first rendering. But I think Smith did enough to make the role his own, not trying to duplicate Williams' version. He has some fine comic instincts, just different from RW's.

Also appreciated the modified intro and extended version of Arabian Nights. Gives the Genie's story a bit more grounding; it's a richer intro to the film.

I think it looked fantastic as well... bright color abounding, not like some dreary, dark & dull efforts (cough, B&TB).

FWIW: Disney live action remakes:

Good: Jungle Book, Aladdin, Cinderella, Pete's Dragon
Meh: BATB, Christopher Robin, Alice 1
Poor: Dumbo, Maleficent, 101 Dalmatians, Alice 2

jt04

And a sequel greenlit. Everything the interweb experts said was impossible a week ago.

Top of the ninth, bases loaded, still no outs.

Professortango1

Aladdin the probably the best live action remake, but still very mediocre.

Pros: Will Smith was great as Genie, Naomi Scott was a wonderful Jasmine and had great chemistry with Aladdin, vocals sounded decent.

Cons: Jafar is weak, Speechless doesn't fit the film and the reprise elicited giggles in the audience with how forced it felt, Guy Richie's speed up/slow down was bad, small looking sets with tons of close ups made it feel like a Disney Channel Original Movie, Aladdin's costume was very "The Descendants" with a bright and well-tailored hoodie, bland cinematography, murky CGI sequences (Whole New World Especially), some inconsistent direction/storytelling (how many times do they touch the forbidden treasure before the cave goes off??), rushed looking CGI for CGI characters/sets, and Nasim Pedrad delivered one of the fakest and most forced performances I've ever seen in a major film.

All in all, I'd probably say 5.5 out of 10.

Mike S

Aladdin the probably the best live action remake, but still very mediocre.

Pros: Will Smith was great as Genie, Naomi Scott was a wonderful Jasmine and had great chemistry with Aladdin, vocals sounded decent.

Cons: Jafar is weak, Speechless doesn't fit the film and the reprise elicited giggles in the audience with how forced it felt, Guy Richie's speed up/slow down was bad, small looking sets with tons of close ups made it feel like a Disney Channel Original Movie, Aladdin's costume was very "The Descendants" with a bright and well-tailored hoodie, bland cinematography, murky CGI sequences (Whole New World Especially), some inconsistent direction/storytelling (how many times do they touch the forbidden treasure before the cave goes off??), rushed looking CGI for CGI characters/sets, and Nasim Pedrad delivered one of the fakest and most forced performances I've ever seen in a major film.

All in all, I'd probably say 5.5 out of 10.
Agree except Jungle Book was the best remake. Hands down. Second I’d say the first Alice out of what I’ve actually seen but does it really count? It feels more like a pseudo sequel like Christopher Robin was.

Professortango1

Agree except Jungle Book was the best remake. Hands down. Second I’d say the first Alice out of what I’ve actually seen but does it really count? It feels more like a pseudo sequel like Christopher Robin was.

Both Jungle Book and Alice suffer from identity issues. Jungle Book doesn't know if it wants to remake the book or the movie and it tries to do both without commitment to either one. Kaa feels pointless and thrown in, King Louie seems like he's from a very different movie, and the movie just fails to launch for me. Mowgli does great and the look of the film works, but the writing didn't work for me.

As for Alice, it doesn't know if it wants to be a remake or a sequel and then tries to throw in this random "chosen one" plot thread. The themes and foils set up in the real world don't correlate the messages of the film. The woman who plays Alice is as interesting to me as 1% milk. And then the film is really ugly. I love Burton's style, but this movie is a grayish mess. I actually liked Through the Looking Glass more than Alice as it actually felt like it knew what is was and embraced a more exciting color palette.

jt04

So, you are spreading false information without validating your information.

Easily similar to how to how you operated in the Politics sub.

I never said the Trump team colluded with any foreign power. You have me confused with someone else. But let's stay on topic.

There was a reliable poster that said a sequel is approved but won't be announced until later. Likely depends on negotiations based on totals. I can't find that reference. You are free to believe it or not. At least until the official announcement. IMO.

Tony Perkis

I never said the Trump team colluded with any foreign power. You have me confused with someone else. But let's stay on topic.

There was a reliable poster that said a sequel is approved but won't be announced until later. Likely depends on negotiations based on totals. I can't find that reference. You are free to believe it or not. At least until the official announcement. IMO.
I don’t, based on your prior history.

Tick Tock

Hopefully all cinema will end before we suffer through a batch of direct-to-video live-action remakes. :hungover:
So am I the only one looking forward to hearing this new version of Iago sing throughout the live-action remake for Return Of Jafar?

Edit: Just checked. No, I'm not looking forward to that either. That would be hideous.

CJR

IF they make a sequel, I hope they forget all about Return of Jafar. I mean, I would love for Jafar to be in it, but I'd prefer that they start from scratch following the end of this movie and mostly take it in a different direction from the animated trilogy.

Lots of potential. Also, get Menken back to write some new music, his absence is one thing I disliked about the animated sequels.

We have the origin story out of the way, now it could be fun. Aladdin has a lot it can offer if given the chance to. They named dropped Sherebad more than once, so there's something there and Jafar hated it, so they could explore that some.

Fox&Hound

IF they make a sequel, I hope they forget all about Return of Jafar. I mean, I would love for Jafar to be in it, but I'd prefer that they start from scratch following the end of this movie and mostly take it in a different direction from the animated trilogy.

Lots of potential. Also, get Menken back to write some new music, his absence is one thing I disliked about the animated sequels.

We have the origin story out of the way, now it could be fun. Aladdin has a lot it can offer if given the chance to. They named dropped Sherebad more than once, so there's something there and Jafar hated it, so they could explore that some.

Oh, I agree. Return of Jafar and King of Thieves were downright awful. Would love to see a whole new world explored (see what I did there?) =)

Tony Perkis

Your choice. And I guess we are even since I never believed your collusion musings.

However Aladdin will likely get a sequel. Added another 11 million+ today. DOM.

Likely more than that OS.
I never said you made up stuff or got bad information about Trump and Russia Collusion specifically.

But you consistently use bad sources or make up nonsense with no credible backing.

Cite reputable sources.

EDIT: And this little nugget today. Objectively incorrect and often the talking point of fringe media outlets that shouldn’t be trusted.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom