AKV vs OKW

DMut

Well, its time for my semi-annual "I can't decide where to stay" question. I am renting DVC points for a trip in September. Two studios for two families each with a 5 and 3 year old. We plan on spending most of our time at MK and DHS. We'll go to AK, but probably skip or spend very little time at Epcot.

Our first choices of BLT and WL were unavailable. We were offered AKV, OKW or SSR... We haved ruled out SSR, and are deciding between AKV or OKW.

I am afraid with AKV we'll be spending too much time on the busses. That and the pools for the kids are probably the biggest two things we are trying to consider, but anyones thoughts or experiences would be welcome!

pcarathers

we will be staying at OKW in May, have never stayed at either resort, but I think the pool at OKW is more appealing to the little ones from the pictures I've seen. It looks like a big sandcastle and has a cute water area for little ones. just out of curiosity, why did you rule out SSR? We stayed at the Treehouse Villas last year and LOVED SSR! the boat ride to DTD was very cool! The buses were pretty good...only had to wait more than 15 minutes one time. the resort is beautifully done.

Upvote 0

DMut

Original Poster
The only reason we ruled out SSR was that a friend had told me it was a bit more adult oriented than the other two. If thats incorrect, I am open to looking into it more deeply.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

We're staying @ SSR in June. The pools are very kid friendly, especially the new Paddock area! The main pool has a slide as well, but the Paddock area has a water bucket and a child's size slide.:) the Grandstand area has a kid's spray/splash pool w/ neat "horse" themed sprayers.:) It doesn't seem to be as "exciting" as others, but if you like DTD, then you can walk there! it's cool.:cool: Good luck w/ your choices. We almost chose OKW. I wanted AKL, but hubby didn't.:( It's all good at WDW!:D

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

One of the misconceptions is that AKV is "far away". Frankly, the WDW property is not that big and staying at AKV might add 5-to-10 minutes to each bus trip to MK. If you can find a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World (every WDW fan should own a copy), it includes travel times. You'll find trips from AKV are not much farther.

OKW is very nice but, ultimately, reminds me of a Moderate Resort. AKV is a true Deluxe Resort. We stayed there last month and are staying again in July. (We are DVC members and BWV is our Home Resort.) AKV is what WDW does best: a fully realized resort with an exotic theme.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

SSR isn't necessarily any more adult oriented, it just comes off to me at least as feeling a bit older and more refined.
OKW and SSR are awfully similar in terms of layout, sizing, amenities offered, etc. AKV is the odd ball here in those terms.

Food
OKW has a single counter worth of QS. With no covered seating. So you either need to eat outside at a picnic table, or try to find a seat in the smallish lobby. They do have Olivias for TS, which some people love but I haven't eaten at.
SSR has a bit more QS food, and a fair bit of indoor seating. The Turf Club for TS, or a 10/15 minute walk/boat ride to DTD for other dining options.
AKV has the Mara in Jambo House, nothing at Kidani village for QS. So you may need to walk if you are in Kidani, or take the bus to the Jambo stop. Sanaa in Kidani for TS, Boma and Jiko in Jambo for TS, all are great.

Pools
Kidani has a great new pool area for kids. Climbing structure, spray things, stuff like that. Quite well done. Jambo is more the typical pool with a small water slide.
OKW strikes me as being pretty similar to Jambo, just not as big, but with a fancier slide.
SSR has the edge in terms of numbers I think, but all are a bit plain.

AKV is really no further out there than SSR/OKW. Both are pretty much at their respective edges of property.

AKV is going to be self contained within the single building. So even if you end up at the far end of the resort, it's an enclosed walk, unlike OKW/SSR where it will be outside, and potentially up stairs.
The rooms at OKW are going to be a bit larger as they were the original layout, so you havea smidge more space than the others.

I personally find OKW and SSR to be fairly similar, with minor differences in theming. Look at pictures, and see what you think would suit your family best.

Upvote 0

Spikerdink

If anything, I think OKW is more adult than SSR. Remember, OKW is the first DVC and as such Disney didn't really know what they were getting into. The main pool area is nice, but nothing fantastic. There is a small pool are for the smaller kids. (The sandcastle slide was added in the last few years - it was not original to the resort.) As @bethymouse said, the pools at SSR have some great theming and play areas for kids - especially the new paddock area.

Another drawback to OKW is it is very spread out and with small ones, you have quite a hike to the main building. Some people have taken the bus to the hospitality house. While SSR is large, I did not find it as long a walk to the hospitality/restaurants. Plus, SSR has a greater offering of food choices at the QS location.

Now for AKL - I loved it, and my friend who stayed there with his young son did too. The pool is large and very family friendly. (Even the DVC pool is quite nice). Don't underestimate the thrill the kids will get looking at the animals. That is a major thing - especially if your room overlooks the savannah.

The bus system is about the same for OKW and AKL. With OKW there are more bus stops through the complex, and if you are at one of the later stops, the ride seems nine times as long.

If it were my choice, I would go AKL with your set up. Don't think you can go wrong. Second choice SSR. When the kids are a bit older or it is just you and the spouse, then OKW.

(I have some pics of each of the resort rooms, etc. PM me and I can send some if you are interested....)

Upvote 0

DMut

Original Poster
Great info from everyone so far... for those who have stayed at AKV, is the Savanah View worth the upgraded price? Would you go for Kidani or Jambo house? Dreamfinder mentioned the new pool at Kidani so that sounds very appealing withe the kids.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Great info from everyone so far... for those who have stayed at AKV, is the Savanah View worth the upgraded price? Would you go for Kidani or Jambo house? Dreamfinder mentioned the new pool at Kidani so that sounds very appealing withe the kids.

Savannah view depends on you. If you don't do Savannah you may end up with parking lot, or pool view. You can see some balcony photos here -> http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/animal-kingdom-villas/roomfinder That will help to give you an idea of what you might see. The value studio at Jambo House that don't show savannah should give you a good idea of what a standard room might get. (Value is a smaller room, and doesn't get classified by standard/savannah)

There are plenty of windows in the hallways, public balconies and other viewing areas where you can chill and watch the animals.

The description of the Kidani pool according to WDWMagic is

Pools

Uzima pool, Jambo House (7am-12am)
Zero entry pool featuring a 67 foot long water slide, wading pool, and two hot tubs

Samawati Springs Pool (Kidani Village)
Zero entry pool featuring a 128 foot long water slide, two hot tubs, and Uwanja Camp wet playground
Fitness

Zahanati Massage and Fitness Center, Jambo House: Open 24 hours, attendant available from 6:00am-9:00pm. Massage, facial, and body treatment services available. Located off Giraffe trail on the 1st level or enter near the Uzima pool.
Survival of the Fittest: Health Club and Spa located in Kidani Village

Hakuna Matata Playground, Jambo House: Located near the Flamingo pond and Uzima Pool.
Playground

Uwanja Camp: Located adjacent to Samawati Springs pool in Kidani Village. The wet play area is divided into 3 age specific zones: departure zone (ages 5-7), observation station (ages 4 and under), and base camp (ages 8 and older). The area is themed to resemble an animal observation area complete with waterfall, water tower, leaking cisterns, squirting flowers, animal crates, rope bridge, bubbling gyser, dumping buckets, and water canons.
And you can see pictures here -> http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/dis...allery/07may2009-kidani-village-pool-area.htm

Remember that AKV constitutes the two buildings, Kidani and Jambo, so if you are trying to rent points, you may want to specify one over the other when you submit your request. I believe guests can use the facilities at the other building, but am not 100% on that, so please don't hold me to it.

Upvote 0

Southampton11968

I've stayed at both within the past year and you really can't go wrong with either. It really depends if you will have a car at Disney. OKW is a bit spread out and you may have to wait a while for a bus, AKV from I remember only has 1 bus stop so the wait time is much shorter. I always try to rent a car at Disney so I do not have to rely on the bus system. It works well enough but having the freedom of coming and going on a moments notice is worth it to me and if you are staying on Disney property you can park anywhere free...

Upvote 0

DMut

Original Poster
I appreciate everyones input! This is why I love this board, people so helpful. We're going with AKV-Kidani. I think the combination of the newer pool and the animals is the right choice with the kids, and I've learned its not as bad as I thought transportation wise. So THANKS to everyone for their help.

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

I have stayed at all 3, I know everyone has an opinion on what they like so I will say that the following is just My own feelings. We currently have a 4 yr old so from experience:

OKW didn't thrill him at all. I don't think it did my husband or myself either. It wasn't a bad place to stay it just wasn't us either. And the food option was limited when we did stay there

AKV- We loved loved the pool, and my son and my then 6 year old nephew had a blast. I think my nephew would have stayed there all day. I do understand your concern for the buses but at times I think anywhere you stay on property you could run into issues and there is always a park that is or seems farther away than others. But I loved having the animals there and seeing my son's reaction to them was priceless. So I would take that experience any day. I really don't think you would be disappointed if you stayed there.

SSR- We stayed there right after the Paddock Pool opened and it was fabulous. My son absolutely loved it. I think he enjoyed it more than the AKV, it was quieter and just his size for his then almost 3 year old self. It is a little farther back, but the quiet of the place allowed us the time and space to unwind and step away for a little it.

Really I don't think you will go wrong with any place you choose...

Upvote 0

luv

Grrr. I grow more weary all the time of hearing the "AK is so far from everything" stuff. It isn't. You will not spend a bunch of extra time on the busses going to AKL villas that you would not if going to OKW.

I looked up, just for you, lol, the transportation times in the UG. If you went to all four parks and back from each of the hotels...the total extra transportation time, AT MOST, would be 18 minutes. That is an average of 2.2 minutes each way. Two minutes. At most.

Getting to and from DHS and the AK will be faster from the AKL villas than it would be from OKW.

I don't know why people always say that AKL is "so far away." I know they do, but it isn't.

Grrr.

That said, they are both really nice places to stay. I can't really say one is better than the other. :)

Let us know what you decide!!

Upvote 0
I LOVE AK LODGE AND KIDANI. Just be aware if you stay at kidani you may have a long walk to and from your room. They do not have a quick service there, for breakfast you would have to go over to the lodge. I like to stay at the lodge or jambo house as it is now known. That is why AKV is my home resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom