Akreshus I don't get it question

RachelP6877

Original Poster
I'm so excited to get a res 30 days before going, this way I avoid the MK wait for princesses but my question is is this sit down or buffet?

MaryMcMagic

Congratulations! This is one of my family's very favorites! Service is done family style at Akershus. Large platters are brought to the table with the hot foods on them to be passed around the table. Sides, breads, and cold items, like salads, are kept at a buffet for you to service yourself. We used to make this reservation our last of our entire vacation, as a 'kiss goodbye" before we were on our way home. It's very good. Enjoy!

slappy magoo

What Mary McMagic said - cold items are on a buffet table, hot items are brought to the table and they're "all you care to eat."

Off-topic, but when exactly did "all you can eat" become "all you care to eat?" Are the people who were gorging themselves with all they could eat now going "well, if it's ONLY all I CARE to eat, I guess I should dial back my gluttony a skosch?"

HouCuseChickie

While we got a family style plate for breakfast, for lunch and dinner we ordered entrees from a menu and those were served individually. The cold bar/buffet functions kind of like the salad bar at some non-WDW restaurants. i.e. you hit it up- possibly several times- before your main meal is served...except that it's better than a salad bar. Our faves are the cold cuts, smoked salmon, cheeses, shrimp salad, and breads. We noticed at breakfast that some items from the cold bar from lunch at dinner were not there... The shrimp salad comes to mind.

kevinowhite

This is one of our family's favorite dinners on our yearly trip to WDW. It's a great way to ensure that you will get photo ops with most of the princesses.

As far as the meal goes... Lunch/dinner hot items are NOT brought to the table "family style," nor are they all-you-care-to-eat. The cold buffet (touted as the more "traditional" Taste of Norway) IS.

kevinowhite

To quote from the Disney website:
At lunch and dinner, a Norwegian buffet (koldtbord) of cold dishes features salads, meats and cheeses, while hot entrées are served à la carte. The rotating menu may include seared herb-dusted beef tips, oven-roasted chicken breast and a special Scandinavian meatball dish made of pork, beef and capers called kjottkaker.

The buffet is included with each meal. Even though the plated meals are not all you can eat, it is easy to fill up on the salads, peel and eat shrimp, smoked salmon, meats and cheeses...

Check out AllEars' menu here:
http://allears.net/dining/menu/akershus-royal-banquet-hall/dinner

LostPrincessKarleigh

What Mary McMagic said - cold items are on a buffet table, hot items are brought to the table and they're "all you care to eat."

Off-topic, but when exactly did "all you can eat" become "all you care to eat?" Are the people who were gorging themselves with all they could eat now going "well, if it's ONLY all I CARE to eat, I guess I should dial back my gluttony a skosch?"

Perhaps they had some people getting ill with the slogan "all you can eat.":hungover: Kind of like the July 4th Coney Island Hot Dog Eating contest.:eek:

NYwdwfan

This is one of our family's favorite dinners on our yearly trip to WDW. It's a great way to ensure that you will get photo ops with most of the princesses.

As far as the meal goes... Lunch/dinner hot items are NOT brought to the table "family style," nor are they all-you-care-to-eat. The cold buffet (touted as the more "traditional" Taste of Norway) IS.

Bolded statement is incorrect - the menu items ARE "all you care to eat". You can order as many of them as you want and they will bring them to the table. My daughter ordered 3 entrees once because she did not care to eat the first . My husband has also ordered more than one entrée.

Last edited:

kevinowhite

Bolded statement is incorrect - the menu items ARE "all you care to eat". You can order as many of them as you want and they will bring them to the table. My daughter ordered 3 entrees once because she did not care to eat the first . My husband has also ordered more than one entrée.

I know Disney is great for accommodating picky eaters...so I'm not surprised that they'd bring your daughter something different. But as far as ordering seconds, I've never seen that done at Akershus. This upcoming trip will be our 10th time dining there in our last 10 trips, so I'll be sure to ask about the all-you-care-to-eat thing. How recently have you eaten there?

shipley731

The husband and I used to love this place and would eat there once or twice a year. We both really enjoyed the food. Husband especially enjoyed the various fish dishes on the cold buffet. Once it turned into a princess meal, we stopped going. Character meals really aren't our thing as we don't have kids. As much as we liked the food, we couldn't justify the added cost for the opportunity to have our picture taken with a cast member in a princess costume. If we had a child who was princess crazy or if we ever go with friends / family that have a princess crazy kid, we'd go with no complaints.

NYwdwfan

I know Disney is great for accommodating picky eaters...so I'm not surprised that they'd bring your daughter something different. But as far as ordering seconds, I've never seen that done at Akershus. This upcoming trip will be our 10th time dining there in our last 10 trips, so I'll be sure to ask about the all-you-care-to-eat thing. How recently have you eaten there?

It was 2 Novembers ago - 2012. I was having trouble deciding (as usual) and the server told me just pick one, and then if I wanted the other she'd bring it too, then said something along the lines of "not many people realize that the menu items are all you can eat, along with the buffet". I asked a bunch of follow up questions and she basically said they will bring you whatever you want. My husband's ears perked up and he ended up taking up that offer. I don't remember what I ordered but it was delicious and I just ate that whole plate.

belledream

I still don't get it lol but I guess I'll find out soon!

From my lunch experience last year, it is two things (and you experience both):
1. A buffet of Norwegian appetizers/finger foods.
2. A menu where you order an entrée for yourself.

While you are eating your buffet selections, they will bring out your selected entrée. At the end, you are served a trio of desserts.

We dined there last April and it was The "buffet" Appetizers/Finger foods/salads and then you ordered an entree I had the meatballs... It Was NOT never ending... but between the buffet of appetizers/salads etc and the entree I was good to go...

BrittanyRose428

I never understood if it was supposed to be never-ending or not. I've only been once, and after one serving of the family style dish it was very clear that we were stuffed, so the waiter just asked if we were still working or something of that nature, not if we wanted more, (which I guess wouldn't have mattered much to us anyways since we were full.)

lebeau

I never understood if it was supposed to be never-ending or not. I've only been once, and after one serving of the family style dish it was very clear that we were stuffed, so the waiter just asked if we were still working or something of that nature, not if we wanted more, (which I guess wouldn't have mattered much to us anyways since we were full.)

They certainly don't go out of your way to advertise that you can order more entrees. Most people wouldn't even if they knew it was an option. We did for our picky eater in the group. But if you're really hungry or just want to try more than one, you can ask for more.

sabbyxxo

See. I just go up for 6ths, that way I don't have to eat later on in the park, because their salmon is legit to DIE FOR!
It would be smart to eventually have Elsa and Anna hanging out in the front to take a picture with before eating. Belle is French anyways. She should be walking around with the other princesses <3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom