AKL Transportation

DVCakaCarlF

Original Poster
What is the next improvement to transportation, specifically at AKL? Will the Skyliner be extended to the resort by way of EPCOT or TTC? We can already concede that the monorail isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe a canal will be dredged from the resort to provide boat access? Maybe a permanent tram between the resort and AK?

Please post and comment on any ideas!

NiarrNDisney

I have heard talk (rumour and/or wishful thinking) of canals with boat transport, a direct train from AKL to DAK and a possible Skyliner connecting Blizzard Beach, Coronado Springs and DAK but no solid plans of any.
I'm sure @marni1971 could shine some light on this.

Last edited:

thomas998

What is the next improvement to transportation, specifically at AKL? Will the Skyliner be extended to the resort by way of EPCOT or TTC? We can already concede that the monorail isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe a canal will be dredged from the resort to provide boat access? Maybe a permanent tram between the resort and AK?

Please post and comment on any ideas!
I might think would connect AKL to Animal Kingdom with something, because the distance between the two parks is less than a mile... but going beyond Animal Kingdom would start getting into lots of money and I don't see how they would even think of doing it for what would essentially be connections to one of the least popular parks. Yes it passed Studios, but only when they put Pandora in and evetually Pandora is going to stop drawing them in and Animal Kingdom will likely slip back down to the bottom of the list again.

Last edited:

DVCakaCarlF

Original Poster
I might they would connect AKL to Animal Kingdom with something, because the distance between the two parks is less than a mile... but going beyond Animal Kingdom would start getting into lots of money and I don't see how they would even think of doing it for what would essentially be connections to one of the least popular parks. Yes it passed Studios, but only when they put Pandora in and evetually Pandora is going to stop drawing them in and Animal Kingdom will likely slip back down to the bottom of the list again.
The parks, relatively speaking, are close...I would think gondolas would be an easy way to better connect that area to the rest of the “world” without compromising. Maybe Joe Rohde had some ideas?

Imagineer45

I am not sure if there are any plans in the works. My unlikely blue sky idea is for a monorail from Epcot to DAK that ends at AKL. It would loop around Spaceship Earth parallel to the existing line on one end and then loop around the savanna at AKL at the other. There would likely be other stops at Blizzard Beach and either Coronado Springs or DHS and the Boardwalk area.

I think connecting it to the existing Skyliner network is a bad idea. Gondolas can only travel roughly 11 mph, so trips would be extremely lengthy over the long distance. Perhaps an independent system from DAK to AKL would work. Reedy Creek being directly east of DAK likely complicates any canals being installed. I guess a canal from DAK to AKL could work, although would it probably be more expensive, take longer to build, and have longer ride times than a gondola.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have heard talk (rumour and/or wishful thinking) of canals with boat transport, a direct train from AKL to DAK and a possible Skyliner connecting Blizzard Beach, Coronado Springs and DAK but no solid plans of any.
I'm sure @marni1971 could shine some light on this.
If anything a Skyliner to DAK would beat the monorail to DAK. If LRT didn’t get there first as part of the east-west connector. All have been thought of, none are currently happening.

Jon81uk

I don't see anything happening in the foreseeable future, but some kind of connection from AKL to DAK would be good, especially if it can extend the theme so you don't see the awful backstage gates that all the buses pass.

EngineerMom

I don't see anything happening anytime soon but I wish they would. We LOVE the animal Kingdom lodge. But the transportation is a drawback.

Mainahman

with the all star resorts being so close in the AK area, would be nice to see that added to a Skyliner line as well. AKL area hotels get their own line to AK someday.

Mickey5150

I could see the current situation pushing Disney to look at more skyliner connections. Being able to seperate each group rather than sticking them all together on a bus or boat helps with any spread of diseases. They could eventually run the skyliner resort wide if they wanted to.

Mainahman

I could see the current situation pushing Disney to look at more skyliner connections. Being able to seperate each group rather than sticking them all together on a bus or boat helps with any spread of diseases. They could eventually run the skyliner resort wide if they wanted to.
me too! To me its as easy as this. Hand sanitizer station before, one party per car. Hand sanitizer when you get off. They can spray down and fully disinfect overnight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom