AKL too far?

S_Grise

Does anyone know how the concierge at the AKL compares to that at the Polynesian? If you stay at AKL, do you have to take a bus to MK, MGM, and Epcot? Does the bus still get you there before or at opening? First time poster, thanks for the advice.

phichi17

Stayed there (AKL) in Jan....the buses are the only way outside a taxi or your own vehicle to get to the parks. Can't respond to how the concierge compares witht the Poly.

We got there before opening every morning.

Upvote 0

phichi17

10-15 mins tops from AKL to MK....shorter than that to MGM and EPCOT...I would suggest that if really quick transportation is desired to MK, a resort like the Poly would be best for you.

Enjoy and welcome to the boards!

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It is a common misconception that AK is far away from everything. It really isnt, and in my opinion has the best bus service of all the resorts.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

wdwmagic said:
It is a common misconception that AK is far away from everything. It really isnt, and in my opinion has the best bus service of all the resorts.
I agree. When we stayed there, the buses always seemed to be rolling up as we walked out to the bus stop. I wouldn't let transportation be a factor in staying at AKL. It's a wonderful resort.

Upvote 0

Iakona

wdwmagic said:

I can't compare Poly to AKL concierge because I have never used Poly Concierge, but the lounge, food, beverages and level of service at AKL Concierge is amazing. Also, you have the option of choosing the sunrise safari or sunset safari (only open to concierge guests at AKL). The sunrise safari was amazing!
The food they serve at AKL is also great. Between 5-7pm they put out appetizers from Boma and Jiko (grilled chicken, pork, and salmon on a stick).

As for the distance, Steve is 100% correct. I am NOT the most patient person when it comes to etting to where I want to go (I work in Boston after all) and I have no complaints about the bus service. You can get to any park before they open.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

S_Grise

Original Poster
Well if everything else really IS 10-15 minutes away, then it's closer to everything than the Poly. When we stayed there, it seemed quite a long bus ride to MGM and AK. Thanks for all the info. Has anyone tried the concierge at both places?

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
S_Grise said:
Well if everything else really IS 10-15 minutes away, then it's closer to everything than the Poly. When we stayed there, it seemed quite a long bus ride to MGM and AK. Thanks for all the info. Has anyone tried the concierge at both places?

Yes its much closer to MGM and AK than the Poly, about 2 mins to AK and 7 mins to MGM.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

wdwmagic said:

Another misconception I feel is about the convenience of the MK Resorts. Sure, you are on the monorail beam with easy access to MK, but the transfer for Epcot can be lengthy and the bus rides to the other parks is long, much farther than most others. Granted Caribbean, Pop, and Port Orleans rely on busses for everything, but they are super centrally located, just as every Epcot Deluxe is (tho not on the monorail itself--which I understand is a life send with families who have small children). Yet these Resorts have very short bus routes throughout compared to the MK Resorts which are all kinda in the far top corner of property (which again is great for MK enthusiasists).

Every Resort is great for transportation, some jsut ahve more perks than others.

But I ahve heard really good things about the busses at AKL, the service is pretty good.

Upvote 0
S_Grise said:
Does anyone know how the concierge at the AKL compares to that at the Polynesian? If you stay at AKL, do you have to take a bus to MK, MGM, and Epcot? Does the bus still get you there before or at opening? First time poster, thanks for the advice.

The food and wine at AKL is better than poly.

The only problems is glass plates and glasses, and no canned drinks. Still very nice, pretty much the same.

At akl, the busses start early and get you to the parks fast!

STAY AT AKL!!! :D

Upvote 0

Iakona

Gepettotrevor said:
The food and wine at AKL is better than poly.

The only problems is glass plates and glasses, and no canned drinks. Still very nice, pretty much the same.

At akl, the busses start early and get you to the parks fast!

STAY AT AKL!!! :D

Gepettotrevor,I could have sworn they had canned coke and others at AKL
I don't drink a lot of soda, so I could be wrong, but I seem to remember grapping a can of coke a couple of times.

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with AKL. The concierge service is top notch (as it is at all the resorts) and the view with the animals beats all the other resorts in my opinion.

As stated before, the bus service from AKL to the rest of the property is great. It's only a 10 minute ride to most parks, maybe longer to Downtown Disney.

The pool at AKL is much nicer and the hottubs are the best on property!

Upvote 0

S_Grise

Original Poster
This is all awesome info. We had such a great time at the Poly, it's a little hard to break away. We WOULD really like to be closer to everything. Those long bus rides are killer after a long day, and are not conducive to afternoon breaks. Thanks, everyone!

Upvote 0

donald23

The time I stayed at AKL, the bus rides weren't that bad. Animal Kingdom is pretty central to the rest of the Disney World property, it's just further west than everything else.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Bus times fo AKL are in my sig below.

Never did concierge at Poly, but we've done the AKL concierge several times now, and are planning another trip for October this year.

The concierge at AKL is wonderful. They do have some cold drinks to go in a refrigirator at the concierge lounge. I can't remeber what was in it other than those juice boxes for kids.

Don't worrry about transpertaion from AKL on the bus system. You'll be fine.

Personally, I think it's MK that far away from everything else. :animwink: But if you look at any maps of WDW, you will see that AK, EPCOT, MGM and DD areas are all pretty close to each other, but the MK area will be north of all of them and what seems to be away further away than the others are to each other.

The new resorts all are nearer to the other areas and not MK, but the MK area does seem to be getting "crowded". I spend more time at AK and Epcot, so AKL is a perfect location for me. :)

Have fun!

Upvote 0

S_Grise

Original Poster
Okay, I'm convinced AKL is actually more centrally located. But what about that awesome view of the castle from the Poly? Is there some awesome view at AKL that will make up for it? Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
S_Grise said:
Okay, I'm convinced AKL is actually more centrally located. But what about that awesome view of the castle from the Poly? Is there some awesome view at AKL that will make up for it? Thanks everyone.

Well, AKL is all about the animals and the feeling you are in africa. Kinda look strange with a big honking fairy tale castle sitting in the middle of it. :lol:

The view from a savanna room, or any window overlooking a savanna would be akin to looking at a Africa wildlife reserve. It's a wonderfull looking place.

I just put up a picture from our 5th floor room we took last October here

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom