AKL too far?

S_Grise

Does anyone know how the concierge at the AKL compares to that at the Polynesian? If you stay at AKL, do you have to take a bus to MK, MGM, and Epcot? Does the bus still get you there before or at opening? First time poster, thanks for the advice.

wdwmagic said:
It is a common misconception that AK is far away from everything. It really isnt, and in my opinion has the best bus service of all the resorts.
Steve,
Can you get into more detail about this.
We are staying there in August just switched from the POFQ

Thanks

Upvote 0
Sorry to throw a wrench in your discussion, but how about the Yacht and Beach Club or Boardwalk Inn? Both have concierge levels.

The advantage is that you can WALK to two of the 4 theme parks. Epcot is a 5-10 minute walk and MGM is a 10-15 minute walk or you can hop a Friendship boat to either. MK and AK are a little further bus rides, but I would trade that over the ability to go to MGM for a 1/2 hour to ride Tower of Terror and be back at my room before anyone was even ready to go for the day(actually did that my last trip).

Just something to think about.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Here's a map of the WDW area. Note that AK (and AKL) are centrlly located closer to MGM and Epcot than the MK area is. This is one of the reasons that the bus times are not as long as people think they are.

Yes, AKL and the MK area are further apart, and thus the reason that it takes longer to get to MK. But because AKL doen't share bus routes, and the MK resorts do, your ride to/from MK is less than a MK resort to AK area.

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/wdwmap.html

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
jordanyosh said:
Sorry to throw a wrench in your discussion, but how about the Yacht and Beach Club or Boardwalk Inn? Both have concierge levels.

The advantage is that you can WALK to two of the 4 theme parks. Epcot is a 5-10 minute walk and MGM is a 10-15 minute walk or you can hop a Friendship boat to either. MK and AK are a little further bus rides, but I would trade that over the ability to go to MGM for a 1/2 hour to ride Tower of Terror and be back at my room before anyone was even ready to go for the day(actually did that my last trip).

Just something to think about.

Very ture, the Epcot resorts are the most central located places to stay, and the only ones that have a good reason to walk from place to place.

But I don't see any zebras roaming the pool areas. :lol: Maybe a gator in the water? :animwink:

Upvote 0

S_Grise

Original Poster
AkiraRaptor said:
This is the fun part! :lol: Once you've "nailed" it all down, and made the reservations, then it's just a waiting game. I much prefer doing this part of a trip to just waiting. :) Have fun!
For me, the fun is planning all the things to do once we're there. Making resort reservations and researching the best deal on tickets is NOT the fun part to me! I'm always afraid the day after I commit to one thing, I'll find something better. BTW, great map, thank you.

Upvote 0

S_Grise

Original Poster
polynesiangirl said:
This actually has nothing to do with the fact that I just flat out prefer the decor of the Poly to the AKL (though I agree both are beautiful!) but I actually do consider the room size kind of a "big deal" that I don't know if so many people are aware of.
Actually, it kind of is a big deal to us, too. These teenagers will be 19, 16 and 14. The 16 and 14 yo's being girls who fight over every inch between them on a short car ride to the STORE! All the teenagers are bigger and taller than me, so yes, space does matter. My husband:king: has stated that he doesn't think he can be as happy as he was last trip if he can't see the MK fireworks from our room. That seriously narrows down the choices!!!

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
S_Grise said:
For me, the fun is planning all the things to do once we're there. Making resort reservations and researching the best deal on tickets is NOT the fun part to me! I'm always afraid the day after I commit to one thing, I'll find something better. BTW, great map, thank you.

I was lumping all of it (rooms, PS ressies, VIP tours, etc) into one planning and calling group. I personally love getting ready for it. I have so much zest for it I'v been told by my wife, friends, and even Disney CM's that I should be working for Disney (or any other) travel. And if I could get into the industry at my current pay rate, I probebly would do it.

But, I haven't seen anything at that amount, so I'm stuck doing it just for me. :)

And my job isn't done until we leave. Just because you made the reservations doesn't mean you're done. I re-booked my room reservations 3 times last year. Each time a new and better deal or code came out, I called.

Trust me, if you're looking to save money, one call usally isn't the end of it.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

DisKid

I can't compare AKL exactly to the Poly for we have never stayed at the Poly, but we did just return from our second time of staying at AKL.

In regards to transportation, one time we waited probably 20 minutes for a bus to Epcot. That was the worst. All of the other ones kept coming, but not Epcot. So they do have good transportation, but they must only have one bus going to and from Epcot.

As for room size, if I remember from a website, Poly has bathroom and sink all in one place right? Well, AKL has two sinks outside of the bathroom which makes it handy for getting ready all the sooner!! We just had a Savannah room w/ bunk beds for four and it was plenty of space...after all for the most part we were in the parks.

The views at AKL are all wonderful!

Hope this helped a little!

Have fun!

Upvote 0

awallaceunc

I stayed there last July and echo the comments of others here that it's really not that far away. Every resort is going to be closer to one park and father from another. AKL is a long ways from MK and doesn't have the monorail, but it's right next door to DAK and not far at all from Epcot or MGM. My only complaint in terms of transporting around the park was that some of the routes shared bus service with AKL and Blizzard Beach.

-Aaron

Upvote 0

wolfpack

AKL bus service confusion

I thought I read from AkiraRaptor's posted reply from June 4, 2005, that AKL doesn't share bus service routes. It was direct transportation to/from each park, with the exception of going to Downtown Disney and the water parks. Could you please clarify this with regards to your experience. This transportation issue is a big factor in determining where we will be staying this November 2005 because we will be traveling with a 2yr old. Thanks! Much appreciated.
awallaceunc said:
I stayed there last July and echo the comments of others here that it's really not that far away. Every resort is going to be closer to one park and father from another. AKL is a long ways from MK and doesn't have the monorail, but it's right next door to DAK and not far at all from Epcot or MGM. My only complaint in terms of transporting around the park was that some of the routes shared bus service with AKL and Blizzard Beach.

-Aaron

Upvote 0

S_Grise

Original Poster
DisKid said:
As for room size, if I remember from a website, Poly has bathroom and sink all in one place right? Well, AKL has two sinks outside of the bathroom which makes it handy for getting ready all the sooner!! Have fun!
Well, the sink area WAS in the bathroom, but the commode had it's own room. We able to use the toilet and sink while someone else was in the shower. Sinks OUTSIDE the bathroom WOULD be an advantage with teenage girls who are now old enough to freak out if someone is in the bathroom while they are behind a heavy shower curtain. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

awallaceunc

wolfpack said:
I thought I read from AkiraRaptor's posted reply from June 4, 2005, that AKL doesn't share bus service routes. It was direct transportation to/from each park, with the exception of going to Downtown Disney and the water parks. Could you please clarify this with regards to your experience. This transportation issue is a big factor in determining where we will be staying this November 2005 because we will be traveling with a 2yr old. Thanks! Much appreciated.

AkriaRaptor might be right. I went in July 2004, so it could have changed since then. All I know is that when we were returning from one of the parks (I can't remember which... I think this was the only time we took a bus back), we had to go into Blizzard Beach (I think that's where it was) and load/unload there before we continued to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Maybe that's only one route. Obviously I can't recall very much of this, so it wasn't a very big deal. I just remember thinking "a deluxe resort should at least get an express bus line."

-Aaron

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
awallaceunc said:
AkriaRaptor might be right. I went in July 2004, so it could have changed since then. All I know is that when we were returning from one of the parks (I can't remember which... I think this was the only time we took a bus back), we had to go into Blizzard Beach (I think that's where it was) and load/unload there before we continued to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Maybe that's only one route. Obviously I can't recall very much of this, so it wasn't a very big deal. I just remember thinking "a deluxe resort should at least get an express bus line."

-Aaron

Nope, you are correct. From time to time, usally in the middle of the day, I've had them do that too. Not very often. I think it only happens during slow parts of the day. But when the traffic is high, the park busses don't usally go anywhere else.

If Tyler sees this thread, maybe he can comment on it. But the people they are picking up are for AKL. At least they don't stop at say Pop or Music too. Some of the MK resorts share busses like that. Contempory and WL, or some other combonation. I'm not sure. Never rode them but I remember Tyler talking about shared busses between resorts to parks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom