AKL room requests

21stamps

Being DVC, we've stayed a few times as it is one of our favorites...Kidani that is.(Not that there is anything wrong with Jambo) The Community Hall, like that of other DELUXE and DVC resorts, is a room for mostly kid activities...Coloring Pages, various arts & crafts, XBOX/PLAYSTATION games, DVD rentals, board games and yes they did have one pool table last time we werethere.
I just looked at a map of the resort- doesn't look like we'll be going to the community hall.lol I may just bring a backgammon board and we can play in the club lounge for a bit.

mouse_luv

Close to lobby or close to elevator.

Jambo. Knowing very little when I booked seemed my first visit should be to the main lodge. But looking forward to exploring everywhere.

If you are staying in a regular room through Disney it would be Jambo regardless because Kidani is all DVC.

dreamfinder

I just looked at a map of the resort- doesn't look like we'll be going to the community hall.lol I may just bring a backgammon board and we can play in the club lounge for a bit.

I believe the community hall is for DVC owners/guests only. I may be wrong, but I think it's supposed to be one of those perks of ownership.

21stamps

I believe the community hall is for DVC owners/guests only. I may be wrong, but I think it's supposed to be one of those perks of ownership.
It was listed on Disney's website as an amenity, but I'm not sure.
Too far for us to go though.
Does anyone know if you can still see the animals in the evening from your balcony?

dreamfinder

Does anyone know if you can still see the animals in the evening from your balcony?

Really? I don't see it on the AKL, AKV Jambo or AKV Kidani pages on disneyworld.com. I'm not doubting you in the least, but really didn't think they were for general use. I seem to recall needing your room key/magic band to get in. Maybe they opened them up to guests paying cash for DVC and that is what you saw?

The animals are out 24x7. They do get called backstage for a few hours each day to get checkups, but they don't do them all at once. However, the animals are free to roam as they please, so you may or may not see them.

21stamps

Really? I don't see it on the AKL, AKV Jambo or AKV Kidani pages on disneyworld.com. I'm not doubting you in the least, but really didn't think they were for general use. I seem to recall needing your room key/magic band to get in. Maybe they opened them up to guests paying cash for DVC and that is what you saw?

The animals are out 24x7. They do get called backstage for a few hours each day to get checkups, but they don't do them all at once. However, the animals are free to roam as they please, so you may or may not see them.
I have looked at so many resorts the past month, so I'm not sure where I read it..but I'm almost positive that it was on the website. I remember seeing it listed for OKW as well, I've stayed there in the past and didn't know it existed. But, it could very well be for DVC members only. I'm not sure.

Not seeing animals from our room is my biggest fear.lol. This is the most I've ever spent on a hotel room per night..and the most I've ever spend on 1 vacation with our trip total. I said the same thing with our WDW/Key West 16 night trip last year, and now this mess has surpassed it. If a discount comes out for our December week at CR I would feel a lot better about what I'm spending on Thanksgiving week! A CR room only discount would pretty much almost cover the AKL nights, then I wouldn't feel so bad if animals aren't around.

Last edited:

BrianV

Original Poster
I have looked at so many resorts the past month, so I'm not sure where I read it..but I'm almost positive that it was on the website. I remember seeing it listed for OKW as well, I've stayed there in the past and didn't know it existed. But, it could very well be for DVC members only. I'm not sure.

Not seeing animals from our room is my biggest fear.lol. This is the most I've ever spent on a hotel room per night..and the most I've ever spend on 1 vacation with our trip total. I said the same thing with our WDW/Key West 16 night trip last year, and now this mess has surpassed it. If a discount comes out for our December week at CR I would feel a lot better about what I'm spending on Thanksgiving week! A CR room only discount would pretty much almost cover the AKL nights, then I wouldn't feel so bad if animals aren't around.

Thats always my concern with paying for premium rooms anywhere. If you pay you expect to have the perfect view wherever you are. On the other hand, if you get the cheapest room and expect a crummy view, you are usually pleasantly surprised. (For our honeymoon 21 years ago we'd paid for an ocean front room in Maui. When we checked in we were given a poorer room and had to complain…they fixed it. But we would have been thrilled in that room if we'd paid merely for a run of the house room.)

BrianV

Original Poster

Listed here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/community-halls/

"Amenities and activities are available to current Guests of the Resort where the Community Hall is located."

dreamfinder

Not seeing animals from our room is my biggest fear.lol. This is the most I've ever spent on a hotel room per night..and the most I've ever spend on 1 vacation with our trip total. I said the same thing with our WDW/Key West 16 night trip last year, and now this mess has surpassed it. If a discount comes out for our December week at CR I would feel a lot better about what I'm spending on Thanksgiving week! A CR room only discount would pretty much almost cover the AKL nights.

Animals will be visible from your room (as long as you don't have a parking lot or pool room view which shouldn't apply to club level) at some point. It may not be while you are in the room. ; ) All the club rooms overlook the arusha savannah I believe, which is the main one for Jambo house, so you should be able to see something pretty much all day. It may be birds, as the grazing animals tend to follow the food truck, but something somewhere should be visible.

21stamps

Thats always my concern with paying for premium rooms anywhere. If you pay you expect to have the perfect view wherever you are. On the other hand, if you get the cheapest room and expect a crummy view, you are usually pleasantly surprised. (For our honeymoon 21 years ago we'd paid for an ocean front room in Maui. When we checked in we were given a poorer room and had to complain…they fixed it. But we would have been thrilled in that room if we'd paid merely for a run of the house room.)
Glad it got fixed! A similar thing happened to us in the Dominican Republican, our "ocean front room" was more like "partial ocean view room" lol. That was an inexpensive trip, (last minute all inclusive deal + free one way flight), but we did complain and got an awesome upgrade.

At least with a MK view at Poly/GF/CR I know that I'm guaranteed to see the castle,space mountain, wishes and the EWP. At the Epcot resorts I know I will see the lake. This AKL thing is a total gamble!
Listed here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/community-halls/

"Amenities and activities are available to current Guests of the Resort where the Community Hall is located."
Whew ok. Thanks for posting. I thought I may have lost what little of my mind I have left. ;)

21stamps

Animals will be visible from your room (as long as you don't have a parking lot or pool room view which shouldn't apply to club level) at some point. It may not be while you are in the room. ; ) All the club rooms overlook the arusha savannah I believe, which is the main one for Jambo house, so you should be able to see something pretty much all day. It may be birds, as the grazing animals tend to follow the food truck, but something somewhere should be visible.
Ok thanks!! I feel a little relieved now.

BrianV

Original Poster
One thing to be aware of at Jambo House is that the first floor standard rooms that look out on the walkway have a small roof above them so it is very dark. You don't see people walking past your balcony but you basically don't see anything.

This is good to know. Somewhere I also read that first floor rooms have no balcony. Do they at least have operable Windows?

Swissmiss

Premium Member
We've stayed at AKL three times; have always booked a standard room and have been fortunate enough each time to get a room on one of the savannahs, for which we were thankful and thrilled - nothing beats drinking my morning coffee on the balcony while observing the giraffes :). Each time we've gone back we've tried to spend more time at the Lodge as the previous stay because there is just so much to see and do there. If only I lived closer, I could plan a stay where nearly all the time is spent at AKL;)

BrianV

Original Poster
The Unofficial Guide has a great tool on their website that actually breaks down how each room is classified, and might help you to see what your views might be.

That was super helpful. There are many standard rooms that have views. Far more than do not have views.

dreamfinder

This is good to know. Somewhere I also read that first floor rooms have no balcony. Do they at least have operable Windows?

There are very few first floor rooms. I think the only true first floor rooms are around the pool. There are some ground level rooms on the way to the buses, but those are 3rd floor I think. They should all have some sort of patio/balcony. A quick search to confirm was unsuccessful, but I want to say the pool rooms have fences around the patios, just like the balconies do. And the rooms on the way to the bus have a very high wall on the balcony to provide privacy, so the balcony ends up being very dark with minimal natural light.

aw14

Request a Savannah view room.

There are a number of rooms that have a view of the Savannah, but are not classified as such because the view is less than ideal. Given the option of pool, parking lot of so so view of the Savannah, the so so view will win every time.
this, we stayed here 2/15 and will again this November. I must admit, there was truly nothing like having morning coffee on the balcony watching the animals. Absolutely amazing

BigRedDad

As close to the lobby as possible. Those outer rooms can be a hike after a long day at the parks, carrying sleeping little ones, and lugging around that $500 bag of souvenirs you had to pick up at the store.

DABIGCHEEZ

Different strokes for different folks. I personally would never pay the price for a savannah view. We always stay in a pool/parking lot view to save DVC points too. There are PLENTY of spots to sit and drink my coffee while watching the animals. Just not worth the extra $$$ in my opinion.

Another tip: Check the activity schedule... and go if they are doing a presentation on African Culture and Lifestyles(or something like that). It was a presentation given by 2 of the African CMs, explaining about their lives back in their home country and was very informative and enjoyable(for me at least) It was held during the early evening at the Library(I think)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom