AKL or YC

• AKL

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • YC

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters

Much-Pixie-Dust

Original Poster
Planning a trip for end of July. Going between booking AKL or YC. AKL would be savanna view and YC would be club level. Been to AKL several times and always love it. Never stayed at YC or club level. Which would you choose and why? Thx.

nickys

Premium Member
YC.

I have stayed at Kidani and loved it. Not stayed at YC but I think BC is my favourite resort.

Stormalong Bay
Walking distance to Epcot and DHS
If you have park hoppers you can nip into World Showcase for dinner or a stroll and watch Illuminations
Take the boat trip to HS and stroll back in the evening
Boardwalk entertainment, including Jellyrolls (I've never made it there because of kids but will do it next time - they're old enough to do their own thing now)

Bairstow

Yep. Definitely Yacht Club if you've never stayed there.
If you do, be sure to schedule at least half a day for Stormalong Bay. It's basically Disney's third waterpark.

mdubm

YC because of location. We are going in The beginning of June. I can report back. I hate relying on buses, so anytime I can stay somewhere that limits my bus usage, I do.

MikeCat95

Yacht club for sure for me. We have stayed at the beach club several times, but just stood at Yacht for the first time this past Christmas. You cannot beat the location, and the pool is our favorite on property.

If you love Epcot, then this a no-brainer. You can walk there in just minutes! Also, the boardwalk is just a short walk away to grab a drink when you get back from the parks.

Although I have never stood at AKL, I would go with the Yacht based on the pool and location!

DABIGCHEEZ

Ok... I personally would pick AKL easily over YC/BC. We had stayed at both(but AKL many times). We actually like the fact that AKL resort is away from the WDW hustle and bustle and is a quieter resort than many others.
In our opinions, we think the pool is over-rated. It is big because it is shared between YC & BC. We did not like the Sand bottom pool at all. Word of warning, in case you have youngsters going with you... the lazy river section is something like 8-10 ft deep. The slide was ok... comparable to any other deluxe resort slides. YC does provide walking path to Epcot and boat to DHS, so there is that going for it. Also there is nighttime entertainment over on the Boardwalk...magicians, jugglers, etc.(kids really enjoy). The Cape May Cafe has an excellent character breakfast buffet in that suits your family. I beleive they do a Clambake one night as well... we did not do it, so have no thoughts on thumbs up or down.
However, we did stay at YC years ago and at that time we were like "let's try it, we have never stayed there." We personally do not need to stay there again, though. So I guess I would say try it... you may like it. Different strokes for different folks... You already know what AKL offers.

Much-Pixie-Dust

Original Poster
Ok... I personally would pick AKL easily over YC/BC. We had stayed at both(but AKL many times). We actually like the fact that AKL resort is away from the WDW hustle and bustle and is a quieter resort than many others.
In our opinions, we think the pool is over-rated. It is big because it is shared between YC & BC. We did not like the Sand bottom pool at all. Word of warning, in case you have youngsters going with you... the lazy river section is something like 8-10 ft deep. The slide was ok... comparable to any other deluxe resort slides. YC does provide walking path to Epcot and boat to DHS, so there is that going for it. Also there is nighttime entertainment over on the Boardwalk...magicians, jugglers, etc.(kids really enjoy). The Cape May Cafe has an excellent character breakfast buffet in that suits your family. I beleive they do a Clambake one night as well... we did not do it, so have no thoughts on thumbs up or down.
However, we did stay at YC years ago and at that time we were like "let's try it, we have never stayed there." We personally do not need to stay there again, though. So I guess I would say try it... you may like it. Different strokes for different folks... You already know what AKL offers.
We like AKL because of its remoteness too. It's such a calming place and I could watch the animals on my balcony for hours. Then, I think variety is the spice of life and change is good. I am such a creature of habit. Thanks for mentioning the jugglers and such at the boardwalk. My kiddo would enjoy that.

21stamps

I thought I was the only person who isn't a fan of Stormalong Bay!

That said, I would pick YC over AKL, and Have stayed at YC several times..but personally, I would choose BWI (sorry @Much-Pixie-Dust i know that wasn't an option lol)

However, I've been intrigued by AKL for the past year.. never been on property. The resort looks amazing, but location has prevented me from booking it.

Basically, as far as providing an opinion- I'm no help at all. :)

Much-Pixie-Dust

Original Poster
I thought I was the only person who isn't a fan of Stormalong Bay!

That said, I would pick YC over AKL, and Have stayed at YC several times..but personally, I would choose BWI (sorry @Much-Pixie-Dust i know that wasn't an option lol)

However, I've been intrigued by AKL for the past year.. never been on property. The resort looks amazing, but location has prevented me from booking it.

Basically, as far as providing an opinion- I'm no help at all. :)
There isn't anything I don't adore about AKL, but I think I would like the experience of YC. I know at least one member of my group would hate the sandy bottom of the pool. He complains nonstop about the sand at Typhoon Lagoon. My daughter however would love it so much! BWI wasn't in the equation because the clown pool writes me out. I have a clown aversion! Maybe I need to stay there to tackle my fears. :hilarious:

21stamps

There isn't anything I don't adore about AKL, but I think I would like the experience of YC. I know at least one member of my group would hate the sandy bottom of the pool. He complains nonstop about the sand at Typhoon Lagoon. My daughter however would love it so much! BWI wasn't in the equation because the clown pool writes me out. I have a clown aversion! Maybe I need to stay there to tackle my fears. :hilarious:
The sand isn't what bothers me, it's the size.

Horrible mother alert---- sometimes I just want to sit poolside, with an adult beverage in hand, while watching my kid swim.
I wouldn't be able to do that at Stormalong Bay. :( lol. I've stayed at YC quite a few times on adult trips and have 0 complaints otherwise :). If you have a clown aversion- go for YC!

DABIGCHEEZ

cant-swim-disney-world-clown-water-slide-scary-demotivational-poster-1252807541.jpg

Much-Pixie-Dust

Original Poster
The sand isn't what bothers me, it's the size.

Horrible mother alert---- sometimes I just want to sit poolside, with an adult beverage in hand, while watching my kid swim.
I wouldn't be able to do that at Stormalong Bay. :( lol. I've stayed at YC quite a few times on adult trips and have 0 complaints otherwise :). If you have a clown aversion- go for YC!
Some of the best mothering moments happen from sitting poolside. :angelic: I say that from experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom