Akershus questions

Dreaming of Disney World

Original Poster
Hi, I've tried googling and searching on this forum but can't find clear answers to my questions. Is Akershus lunch all you can eat? Could I order multiple entrees or get a refill on food? Also how will my 1 year old eat? I don't want to pay $36 for him. I know he could eat from my plate, but then I'd have to order something he would like, and then I'd have less to eat... unless I'm allowed to order more. So how does this all work? Also, do you think the experience is worth it for $60 per adult?

Schneewittchen

I've been to Akershus several times for dinner, not lunch. But I expect it's handled the same way. In my experience, the appetizer buffet is all you can eat, but the entrees are just the one plate. If your 1 year old eats a lot, you could feed your child from the appetizers, lots of cheese, luncheon meats, fruits, etc.

Is $60 worth it? It depends on how much you value your time. I think avoiding multiple hour long princess meet and greet lines is definitely worth the price, you might not agree. And no, I don't think the food is worth $60 a plate on it's own. Character meals are not about the food.

If you want to make your 1 year old happy about a character meal - check out Winnie the Pooh and friends at the Crystal Palace.

Anyway, look at some pictures of the appetizer buffet - http://allears.net/dining/photos/akershus-royal-banquet-hall/food

Schneewittchen

Wait.. That's what you get for $60? 😂

I've never eaten there, and by the looks of things - never will.

It's all about perspective.

Let's say your household earns $125/hour. And dinner at Akershus for your family of 4 costs $215ish. You expect to see 5 princesses at dinner and would otherwise wait around 4.5 hours to meet all of those princesses in the parks (maybe one third to half of an entire park day spent on line). You could have spent more than $450 on a day's worth of park tickets. Suddenly, crazy dinner prices for a character meal that saves you 3.5 hours of line time starts to make sense.

BoarderPhreak

Let's say your household earns $125/hour. And dinner at Akershus for your family of 4 costs $215ish. You expect to see 5 princesses at dinner and would otherwise wait around 4.5 hours to meet all of those princesses in the parks (maybe one third to half of an entire park day spent on line). You could have spent more than $450 on a day's worth of park tickets. Suddenly, crazy dinner prices for a character meal that saves you 3.5 hours of line time starts to make sense.
I suppose... If you're placing that much value on meeting princesses. It's not like the Crystal Palace is much different in the case of meeting characters, but at least it's a substantial buffet.

RoyWalley

Hi, I've tried googling and searching on this forum but can't find clear answers to my questions. Is Akershus lunch all you can eat? Could I order multiple entrees or get a refill on food? Also how will my 1 year old eat? I don't want to pay $36 for him. I know he could eat from my plate, but then I'd have to order something he would like, and then I'd have less to eat... unless I'm allowed to order more. So how does this all work? Also, do you think the experience is worth it for $60 per adult?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/akershus-royal-banquet-hall/

It does not appear that lunch is all you can eat (see website) They have the taste of Norway (mini buffet) to go along with your meal

Dreaming of Disney World

Original Poster
I've been to Akershus several times for dinner, not lunch. But I expect it's handled the same way. In my experience, the appetizer buffet is all you can eat, but the entrees are just the one plate. If your 1 year old eats a lot, you could feed your child from the appetizers, lots of cheese, luncheon meats, fruits, etc.

Is $60 worth it? It depends on how much you value your time. I think avoiding multiple hour long princess meet and greet lines is definitely worth the price, you might not agree. And no, I don't think the food is worth $60 a plate on it's own. Character meals are not about the food.

If you want to make your 1 year old happy about a character meal - check out Winnie the Pooh and friends at the Crystal Palace.

Anyway, look at some pictures of the appetizer buffet - http://allears.net/dining/photos/akershus-royal-banquet-hall/food

Thank you! That's very helpful.

FishyMom

I suppose... If you're placing that much value on meeting princesses. It's not like the Crystal Palace is much different in the case of meeting characters, but at least it's a substantial buffet.
You start with the appetizer buffer, but you still order a regular meal from the menu. It's not just the buffet for the $60...not sure you caught that part.

Weather_Lady

The "Taste of Norway" buffet includes 1-year-old-friendly items like fruit, crackers and bread, cheese, veggies and cold salads. (In other words, the little one could make a meal eating those things from Mom's plates from the all-you-can-eat appetizer buffet, and Mom can order whatever entree most appeals to her.) As for entrees, you get just one, and for dessert a "sampler" plate with small servings of 3 different items.

Is it worth $60? Given that an entree, a cheese plate appetizer, a dessert sampler and a fountain beverage would cost about $45 at a non-character TS restaurant (I'm using Mama Melrose's mozzarella appetizer, spaghetti & meatballs, and dessert sampler as my comparators), you're paying an extra $15 to meet several princesses. It you have a child who is heavily into princesses and would otherwise want to meet them in the parks, I think it's worth it to kill all of those birds with one stone. Compared with, e.g., Cinderella's Royal Table, Akershus is a quieter and more relaxing venue and the princesses are less rushed. If the character experience isn't a major value to you, then you can find better food elsewhere. (That's not to say that the food at Akershus is bad, but our dinner there was very uneven: we found the appetizer buffet to be superb, but our entrees were underseasoned and forgettable, and the dessert plate was downright disappointing -- everything on it was flavorless, dry and falling apart.)

Last edited:

crawale

I took my 3 grandsons to Akershus for dinner in October. The two year old was not charged although he had the same meal as the other two. The appetizer buffet is very filing. We saw 5 princesses who spent plenty of time meeting the boys. Boys 7,6 and 2 all had a great time and enjoyed the meal. Wait staff is wonderful with children. We visit every year and for us Akershus is a must.

Dreaming of Disney World

Original Poster
I'm curious, how did the 2 year old have the same meal? Did he share a kid's entree with one of your other grandsons, or did they allow him to order an entree free of charge? I think if we go I'll just have my 2 kids share an entree unless we can order 2.

jaklgreen

Who the heck makes $125/hour? Are we all brain surgeons?!!??

jaklgreen

I got to ask if 1 spouse is making $130,000 a year. Why are so many people putting their kids in day care instead of having 1 parent stay home with them and raising them? Who needs that kind of money? Especially compared to the chance to raise your own kid. Maybe that is just us. We lived much more modestly to be able for me to stay home with our kids.

Schneewittchen

I got to ask if 1 spouse is making $130,000 a year. Why are so many people putting their kids in day care instead of having 1 parent stay home with them and raising them? Who needs that kind of money? Especially compared to the chance to raise your own kid. Maybe that is just us. We lived much more modestly to be able for me to stay home with our kids.
Median home prices in the DC metro area hover around $500k. So the cost of living is really high.

Most people I know work in high tech, government administrative positions, education, law enforcement, medical field. I don't know any families that can afford to live off of one income, but we all live in the "poor" area where the median prices are closer to $400k and have send our kids to private schools because the public schools are scary.

I love my kids, but I love to work too. I work, so they get to have a good education, nice clothes, a modest home and frequent trips to Disney parks.

jaklgreen

Median home prices in the DC metro area hover around $500k. So the cost of living is really high.

Most people I know work in high tech, government administrative positions, education, law enforcement, medical field. I don't know any families that can afford to live off of one income, but we all live in the "poor" area where the median prices are closer to $400k and have send our kids to private schools because the public schools are scary.

I love my kids, but I love to work too. I work, so they get to have a good education, nice clothes, a modest home and frequent trips to Disney parks.

It's crazy that in the same country, the cost of living is so different. Places like that, it seems like you are using monopoly money. Maybe the government pays it's employees too much, that is why all of our taxes are so damn high. Families should be able to live off of 1 income, especially at those salaries. And people complain about others getting $15 and hour!

slappy magoo

It's crazy that in the same country, the cost of living is so different. Places like that, it seems like you are using monopoly money. Maybe the government pays it's employees too much, that is why all of our taxes are so damn high. Families should be able to live off of 1 income, especially at those salaries. And people complain about others getting $15 and hour!
I'm not a moderator, but we've gone past an innocuous "is this Disney experience worth the money" into what public sector/fed employees make, is it too much, my taxes are too high, who should and shouldn't be working, what people should and shouldn't be making...not the time, not the place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom