News AK Giraffe in Labour on Stage

Ismael Flores

Im sure the Vets know what to do and how to handle this. They are trained for this kind of stuff and if the birth is hapoening to close to the roads they will most likely close the attraction

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
A1FB84C5-FF30-4420-9CF5-7DE829CD3EBD.jpeg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Photos on Twitter showing a giraffe, on safari, in show, currently in labour. Hooves are sticking out.

Is this normal? Don’t they normally separate them and it happens off stage?

I’d be getting on that safari now to witness lifes miracle.

I ride KS last Friday and didn't spot a pregnant giraffe. I assume she'd be pretty obvious.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Animal Kingdom Giraffe in Labour

My first thought at seeing this thread title was that Brexit politics is getting even weirder.

Anyhoo... http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/giraffe-birth-live/frequently-asked-questions/

What is the labor process?
Giraffes give birth while standing up so a calf enters the world from quite a height. They fall 6 feet to the ground with hooves and head first. The fall may seem like an abrupt entrance into the world, but it effectively breaks the amniotic sac, severs the umbilical cord, and most importantly encourages the calf to take its first breaths. After the calf drops to the ground, the mother will begin to clean it off, and after a few minutes, the calf will attempt its first steps.​

It's those sneaky Brits adding letters to English words again..... 😉

disnyfan89

Allegedly the calf was born two weeks sooner than expected. The mother was supposed to be separated from the savanna sometime this week. However, due to the stress calling the giraffe in could cause it was decided to let her give birth out on the savanna. Supposedly they closed the attraction for a short period of time today while the birth was happening and loaded up a truck with CMs to witness the birth. There is a video floating around social media (I am at work and unable to link it) of the mother walking around with the calf's hooves sticking out and you can see an animal keeper CM was monitoring the mother while following it in a utility truck.

EDIT: Kenny the pirate's FB page has the video and photos of the CM out front the closed safari.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Allegedly the calf was born two weeks sooner than expected. The mother was supposed to be separated from the savanna sometime this week. However, due to the stress calling the giraffe in could cause it was decided to let her give birth out on the savanna. Supposedly they closed the attraction for a short period of time today while the birth was happening and loaded up a truck with CMs to witness the birth. There is a video floating around social media (I am at work and unable to link it) of the mother walking around with the calf's hooves sticking out and you can see an animal keeper CM was monitoring the mother while following it in a utility truck.

EDIT: Kenny the pirate's FB page has the video and photos of the CM out front the closed safari.
I saw it on Tommy Boy’s Twitter page this morning.

I’ve learned not to repost his pics, but he had 3 very clear photos of the giraffe with the hooves protruding, as well as a 30 second video.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom