Airtran flight problems

PhilharMagician

If anyone is flying Airtran out of Newburgh, NY after September 3rd you better call and get a credit. Airtran is discontinueing service to Newburgh, NY after September 3rd 2008.

I had purchased tickets a while back for October 22nd going to Orlando and November 2nd returning and was never notified. I saw an article in the local newspaper and immediatly checked my reservations on the website and all looked good. I then called to verify my reservation and the operator confirmed my reservation. I told her what I read that Airtran was discontinueing service to Newburg and she finally said yes that it was true. She offered to move my flights to another airport which was an hour longer drive and I instead asked for a full refund. I was able to book with Jet Blue for $100.00 for the the family.

Mia319

i'm a bit angry with AirTran as well. we had a non-stop flight on our way home in september which apparently that flight got cancelled cause i got an email saying we were on a new flight with a lay over in georgia.... um, if you only knew my fear of flying and how hard it is going to be getting me on the plane ONCE let alone twice. needless to say, i called right away and got us and another couple we are traveling with a new non-stop flight back home! thankfully the magic has been restored and i can rest easy again! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
also, its a shame how you werent notified sooner. that is a peave of mine, when airlines disappear into thin air and with your money. a girl of mine was going to spring break to mexico and the only flight she could get was ata. imagine to her surprise getting to the airport, only to find out ata wasnt in existence, and she was going to have to fill out lenghty paper work to get her money back.
word of advice to board members who are flying with airlines that are in danger of closure:
call every so often to check if your flight is still on,read news papers,exc. they can warn of the closure before the airline does. if your airline does close/ cancel flight, contact them asap for a refund or it may take you forever.
i hope that this wont happen to anybody, but its better safe then sorry

And that will probably happen more this year and next than most of us realize:

Delta, Northwest, United and American are all on the brink of bankruptcy.....

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2008-06-18-airlines-fuel_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

here is an article on what you can do:
http://hasbrouck.org/articles/bankruptcy.html

Upvote 0

tigsmom

i'm a bit angry with AirTran as well. we had a non-stop flight on our way home in september which apparently that flight got cancelled cause i got an email saying we were on a new flight with a lay over in georgia.... um, if you only knew my fear of flying and how hard it is going to be getting me on the plane ONCE let alone twice. needless to say, i called right away and got us and another couple we are traveling with a new non-stop flight back home! thankfully the magic has been restored and i can rest easy again! :ROFLOL:

That is my oldest DD and I!! That's why I loved that we could get direct flights to Tampa. I can deal with on up & down, but that is about my limit.
Flying is not my favorite activity. :eek:

Upvote 0

majorrfb

If anyone is flying Airtran out of Newburgh, NY after September 3rd you better call and get a credit. Airtran is discontinueing service to Newburgh, NY after September 3rd 2008.

I had purchased tickets a while back for October 22nd going to Orlando and November 2nd returning and was never notified. I saw an article in the local newspaper and immediatly checked my reservations on the website and all looked good. I then called to verify my reservation and the operator confirmed my reservation. I told her what I read that Airtran was discontinueing service to Newburg and she finally said yes that it was true. She offered to move my flights to another airport which was an hour longer drive and I instead asked for a full refund. I was able to book with Jet Blue for $100.00 for the the family.

I am NOT a happy camper. My wife and I have tickets for the WORLD Nov. 29 through Dec. 7.(Tickets we purchased back in March 08). We are celebrating our 31 st. wedding anniversary and my birthday. I called AirTran and ditto they admitted to the cessation of flights out of Newburgh (SWF). I immediately checked Albany NY airport and Bradley (CT). the prices are killers. Sooo, went to JETBLUE and had to pay an additional $236 for the same flights on the dates mentioned. :hammer:The AirTran operater said calls for the discontined flights out of Newburgh began last Friday. THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP, because Airtran is not breaking any records to notify people. I wonder if they have heard of Email?:shrug:

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

Original Poster
I am NOT a happy camper. My wife and I have tickets for the WORLD Nov. 29 through Dec. 7.(Tickets we purchased back in March 08). We are celebrating our 31 st. wedding anniversary and my birthday. I called AirTran and ditto they admitted to the cessation of flights out of Newburgh (SWF). I immediately checked Albany NY airport and Bradley (CT). the prices are killers. Sooo, went to JETBLUE and had to pay an additional $236 for the same flights on the dates mentioned. :hammer:The AirTran operater said calls for the discontined flights out of Newburgh began last Friday. THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP, because Airtran is not breaking any records to notify people. I wonder if they have heard of Email?:shrug:

Glad you were able to take care of your flights. I would expect Jet Blue prices to increase a little out of Stewart with people scrambling to look for alternative carriers.

It is amazing how much the rates went up at Albany & Bradley. I always check Albany, Bradley and Stewart every time I plan a trip and typically Albany is cheapest then Bradley and last is Stewart. Well, the tides have changed.

Tigsmom, You used to always drive to WDW. You are now occasionally flying?

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Thats what I paid for my Continental tickets out of Newark....:brick:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Tigsmom, You used to always drive to WDW. You are now occasionally flying?

Flying home this time. The DH is driving my oldest daughter's car down to Tampa the first week in August (princess #2 will accompany him for some father daughter quality time). She and I will fly down on the 16th, vacation and then the three of us will fly home on the 25th.
I'm still hoping something can be worked out before Christmas break so princess #1 can fly into Stewart and not Newark or LaGuardia.
I try to fly as little as possible as I don't do very well :hurl: :eek:

Thats what I paid for my Continental tickets out of Newark....

You pay thru the nose for the convenience of flying locally.

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
You have no idea how upset we are about this. My daughter flies back and forth from Newburgh to Tampa to go to school. The DH flies into Sarasota/Bradenton to see his parents. The flights to Florida were always booked solid! We have never been on a flight that had empty seats out of there.

Time to move to Florida...

Upvote 0

TigerLily_CM

Airtran was charging for prebooking of seats. :rolleyes:

We have been flying Southwest out of Albany, NY which is only 30 minutes away, but the prices are now quite high. I bought ticket for Albany to Orlando for $49.00 each way just one year ago. Now the cheapest fare for Southwest is $119.00.

Times have changed! Unfortunately I will be looking to drive the 20+ hours to FL soon. :brick:

WOW...you have no idea how much i would love to get a flight to WDW for that price. I'm in Canada about an hours flight from NY and the cheapest flight I have found recently to Orlando was $984.00 and that one had two connections...the cheapest return flight with one connection was over $1200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Upvote 0

maryszhi

just a quick thing here
every year we fly in and out of boston to go to our summer houses on the cape and visit dads friend in boston
we booked 99% of our flights with american and 1% with united
guess which ones were canceled? american
by the time we found out, we couldnt find another flight.
i get really car sick , so we cant drive
so we are only going once.i am so mad, i mean this is chicagos ohare one of the largest airports in the country
i must say so american handled the refund and stuff well.
its funny how we have frequent flier miles on both
just funny how it happened to me

Upvote 0

Rob562

just a quick thing here
every year we fly in and out of boston to go to our summer houses on the cape and visit dads friend in boston
we booked 99% of our flights with american and 1% with united
guess which ones were canceled? american
by the time we found out, we couldnt find another flight.
i get really car sick , so we cant drive
so we are only going once.i am so mad, i mean this is chicagos ohare one of the largest airports in the country
i must say so american handled the refund and stuff well.
its funny how we have frequent flier miles on both
just funny how it happened to me

Have you looked into flying into Providence? You can even fly Southwest if you can fly out of Midway (I know it's not O'Hare, but...)

PVD is only about 1 hour from Boston by car. And to the Cape, drive time is exactly the same from PVD as it is from BOS according to my GPS (though distance-wise it's 10 miles longer). And I think Cape traffic heading onto the Sagamore bridge from Boston is usually worse than traffic onto the Bourne from PVD and points west (at least every time I hear the traffic reports on the radio, Route 3 is much more backed up than Route 25/I-495)

-Rob

Upvote 0

WildLodgeFan

Yes, correct me if I am wrong, but I think they went on fertility boosters and ended up paying the price. Now that I think about it... they are getting quite a "welfare" check from the TV show and all the freebies they get for such a huge family.

At least the Duggars (sp) wanted the large family and apparently could support it.

You are right - they did use fertility drugs.

The Duggars have done a few specials which I am sure they are paid for, but I do have to admire that family's organizational skills. I wish we cooperated as a family of four as much as they do as a family of 16 (right?).

Upvote 0

maryszhi

yeah, we tried that, nothing
they told us they cut back
ive tried united american from ohare to providence
and a couple at midway and ohare
they have nothing
we have flown into providence alot when we couldnt get anything to boston.
thanks though :)

Upvote 0

maryszhi

Have you looked into flying into Providence? You can even fly Southwest if you can fly out of Midway (I know it's not O'Hare, but...)

PVD is only about 1 hour from Boston by car. And to the Cape, drive time is exactly the same from PVD as it is from BOS according to my GPS (though distance-wise it's 10 miles longer). And I think Cape traffic heading onto the Sagamore bridge from Boston is usually worse than traffic onto the Bourne from PVD and points west (at least every time I hear the traffic reports on the radio, Route 3 is much more backed up than Route 25/I-495)

-Rob
tell me about the traffic, its worst then chicago :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom