airtran airways reservation change fees

kimmychad

Just wanted to let everyone know about the fees airtran charges for changing a flight. When I booked a flight last night from orlando to pittsburgh, I accidentily selected the date I am to arrive in orlando, instead of the date I'm supposed to leave. when I called airtran to change my dates on the flight they wanted to charge me $75 per person, for a total of $316, im assuming taxes made up the $16 difference. southwest, who I normally use to book airfare, doesn't charge these fees, you simply would pay the difference in airfare.

just wanted everyone who flies to be aware of this. and I know it was my mistake, but it was a mistake, and I would have thought they could have let me change flights in exchange for my future business.

J_Krafty24

I used to have to fly airtran with my college track and cross country teams. Every single flight was late by at least 1/2 hour but usually longer. Plus the seats were horribly uncomfortable. I would always get off the plane with a sore neck. I will never book another airtran flight.

My parents on the other hand love airtran and will only fly with them. Maybe I just had bad luck or they are just having good luck.

Upvote 0

JDM

Reality Check

I also have an AirTran story and will not be flying with them again. My main complaint is that after you select the flights that meet your needs, they change the schedules - and not by just a little. I

Folks, welcome to the modern day airline industry!

I have flown Air Tran several times.
Generally, no problems or changes at all. Most recent time, they changed the return flight (from Orlando) to leave significantly LATER (which is not a benefit when you have a 5-year old arriving home late at night.) When we landed (on time), another plane was at our gate with mechanical difficulties so we sat on the tarmac for 90 minutes.

Continental completely screwed up one trip (bad customer service, lost luggage, snotty personnel) so bad that we got vouchers and were able to take a second trip with them.

Current trip booked, Continental just totally changed our return flights, just like the Orlando trip above.

Bottom line is THEY ALL DO IT. It isn't "you get what you pay for" because IT'S ALL THE SAME regardless of airline (unless you have a private charter!)

My best friend works for Southwest and I fly them when I can, but I often can't use them becuase they don't book more than a couple months ahead, while Air Tran and Jet Blue do.

Airlines are the only business I know where you buy something, pay for something and then get whatever they feel like giving you. It's like buying a Bright Red SUV and getting a dirt-brown Prius, because 'that's what's available now'. And you have to eat it or it will cost you.

Stinks, but that's what they all do.

Upvote 0

travelgip

I'm glad I saw this thread. I had 2 round-trip tickets booked with AirTran from HPN to Orlando ($63.00 each per person, each way). At the time I purchased them (the day the dates came up online - It was sometime in January) I had flights for 7/1 and returning 7/8.

I got an e-mail from AirTran saying that they had to make a schedule change and changed my 7/8 flight to 7/1. :eek: I called because I am not staying in Disney for 7 hours but 7 nights and explained to the woman on the phone what the problem was. She said that they only had the two 7/1 flights in the computer. After about 2 hours on the phone (supervisors, etc) I cancelled the return trip with them for a total of $49.00 credit. If I wanted to get "back on" the 7/8 flight I would have to pay an additional $120.00 per person per ticket! I already paid in full what they were charging and I have a copy of the confirmation with the correct dates! They didn't want to hear any of it. Wouldnt' take a fax or e-mail copy of the confirmation.:brick:

Wasn't worth the stress of it all. I booked a return flight with JetBlue (although much later in the day than I would have liked) for $83 per person to the same airport (HPN). I will NEVER use AirTran EVER again :hurl:

Upvote 0

imamouse

Folks, welcome to the modern day airline industry!

Bottom line is THEY ALL DO IT. It isn't "you get what you pay for" because IT'S ALL THE SAME regardless of airline (unless you have a private charter!)

Stinks, but that's what they all do.

Not all - 99% of the time I fly US Airways and if they adjust their flight schedules it's only by 5-10 minutes. This is not impactful to my plans, so it's not an issue (to me). Perhaps I've just had good luck with this specific airline?

Upvote 0

Rob562

I'm glad I saw this thread. I had 2 round-trip tickets booked with AirTran from HPN to Orlando ($63.00 each per person, each way). At the time I purchased them (the day the dates came up online - It was sometime in January) I had flights for 7/1 and returning 7/8.

I got an e-mail from AirTran saying that they had to make a schedule change and changed my 7/8 flight to 7/1. :eek: I called because I am not staying in Disney for 7 hours but 7 nights and explained to the woman on the phone what the problem was. She said that they only had the two 7/1 flights in the computer. After about 2 hours on the phone (supervisors, etc) I cancelled the return trip with them for a total of $49.00 credit. If I wanted to get "back on" the 7/8 flight I would have to pay an additional $120.00 per person per ticket! I already paid in full what they were charging and I have a copy of the confirmation with the correct dates! They didn't want to hear any of it. Wouldnt' take a fax or e-mail copy of the confirmation.:brick:

Wasn't worth the stress of it all. I booked a return flight with JetBlue (although much later in the day than I would have liked) for $83 per person to the same airport (HPN). I will NEVER use AirTran EVER again :hurl:

Travelgip... Try contacting Christopher Elliott. He's a syndicated columnist who writes "The Travel Troublshooter". I subscribe to his blog. This type of problem is exactly what he helps with. (He was also interviewed in at least one recent Travel Channel special on WDW)

http://www.elliott.org/

And more specifically, he gives tips on how to handle problems with travel issues: http://www.elliott.org/help/how-to-fix-your-trip/

-Rob

Upvote 0

travelgip

Travelgip... Try contacting Christopher Elliott. He's a syndicated columnist who writes "The Travel Troublshooter". I subscribe to his blog. This type of problem is exactly what he helps with. (He was also interviewed in at least one recent Travel Channel special on WDW)

http://www.elliott.org/

And more specifically, he gives tips on how to handle problems with travel issues: http://www.elliott.org/help/how-to-fix-your-trip/

-Rob

Thanks Rob, I will! (Although it was more annoying than anything else, not a great deal of money, but I understand it is the principal of the thing.)

Upvote 0

kimmychad

Original Poster
a very nice lady at air tran customer service read my numerous emails about the problem I was having and although she couldn't give me my money back, she gave me a credit to be used within a year. :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

and my wife brought up an interesting point, if you would like to change your flight time, its $75 per person, per flight, however if airtran wants to change your flight to what is more convenient to them, you get no reimbursment? that doesn't seem right at all. and I've been flying for the last 15 years and I've never had a problem with an airline being late consistently or changing flight times. some companies all too easily forget that when there is competition in their field people will go with someone else. I gladly rebooked the flights I wanted on southwest rather than pay the flight change fee of airtran. oh well, airfare for my next trip is payed for I guess.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom