Air Tran Airways

Has anyone ever flown Air Tran airways and if so, what were your likes/dislikes about it.

We are going to Disney in January 09 and I am looking into flights now. Any info would help greatly. There are 9 of us traveling together with 3 small children(4, 2, 1 1/2)

SAV

We flew them in June and loved it. Our planes were on-time and very clean. The Flight Attendants were nice didn't seem inconvenienced by us. They will be my first choice for our future trips.

Upvote 0

bgoebel

I'm flying airtran in December for the first time but I've talked to them after one changed flight time to get some info.... just to let you know since you are traveling with kids, they can't legally sit you apart from your children if they are under a certain age (don't know what that age is sorry) so something to consider if you don't want to pay to pick your seats. My husband wanted me to go ahead and pick them ofcourse because he wanted to shoot for more leg room. YOu also have the option of picking seats when you get there for check in. We'll see how my flight goes but wanted to let you know some of my thoughts in "planning" for air tran :wave:

Upvote 0

shmmrname

In SEP we will be trying AirTran. The only other airline I've been on is ATA, and my wife's been afraid to fly until now. So, here's hoping it's a good experience!

Upvote 0

Foolish Mortal

Now I have to go into Newark or LaGuardia. :mad:

Could be worse......at least you dont have to come to PHL :lol: Worlds worst airport.

As for AT, when they're not re-scheduling my return flight's I love 'em. 3 x in 2 years they moved up my return's, but a tleast they refunded those segments when I re-booked other airlines for a flight that came close to the times I wanted.

Upvote 0

scubaguy

We fly Airtran a lot out of Akron-Canton. While we've had some experiences with flight delays, you'll get that with any airline these days. Our experience has mostly been positive, and we would certainly use them anytime we go to Orlando. As far as safety is concerned, they are at or close to the top in having the newest airplane fleet. For what it's worth, when we sent my daughter back to Orlando in May, her ticket said they charged for a 2nd bag, but they didn't bother charging her, even though she checked 2 large bags. You may not be as lucky, it probably depends a lot on the check in person.

Upvote 0

Hrudey3032

I love Airtran.The only time we had a problem was last January when our plane was delayed taking off due to the weather out of Atl.(We were flying from Indy but weather caused major delays in Atl) I will most likely fly with them or NWA when I fly again.

Upvote 0

jjgoo

Personally they are on my list. Delta and Air Tran. I don't like either of them. I should say though that I have onyl flown Air Tran once, but the experience was poor enough with delays (that the airline could have controlled) that my DW who does not like to fly at all said never again to Air Tran. I might have given them another chance for the right price on a short (under 3 hours) flight.

I noticed that someone said their spouse does not like flying. Other people on this board have recommended this sight
http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/

I have not tried it yet, but I am going to take it with my DW before our next flight. Even if it helps calm our nerves a little that is better then nothing.

Upvote 0

PoohBear119

Could be worse......at least you dont have to come to PHL :lol: Worlds worst airport.

As for AT, when they're not re-scheduling my return flight's I love 'em. 3 x in 2 years they moved up my return's, but a tleast they refunded those segments when I re-booked other airlines for a flight that came close to the times I wanted.
World's Worst??? Guess you've never been to Heathrow...:lol:

Upvote 0

Montyboy

Thanks for all the feedback. My husband is unsure of AirTran. He is afraid to fly and thinks that b/c it is a discount airline that it is less safe. I think he is nuts, but he makes the arrangements.
Hi Nicole, can you fill us in on some specifics like where you are flying from, so we can suggest options?

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

Tigsmom...are you talking about Stewart Airport?

That's always where we flew out of and if Jetblue was too expensive we usually took AirTran. I was very surprised to hear they were leaving. Any flight I took with them was always full. They're service was good and I enjoyed it as much as Jetblue. It's going to be difficult not having that second option anymore

Yep, Stewart. This is the second time that they have pulled out of there (once in the 90's before ValueJet took them over). I loved flying JetBlue, but since we very rarely fly into Orlando and almost always fly into Tampa (My daughter goes to school there) AirTran was the best bet. Now it will be harder for her to come home to visit. :(

Quick highjack here. :lookaroun

Airtran is will be out of Newburgh in September and Jet Blue has gone from 4 flights per day down to 1 flight per day to and from MCO. With the reduction in flights the prices are increasing because of demand and lack of seats

My fights for Oct out of Newburgh have been bounced around more than a pinball. :brick:

Highjack over.

Upvote 0

luckyeye13

World's Worst??? Guess you've never been to Heathrow...:lol:

No, that title belongs rather easily to Miami International Airport. I flew through there on the way to and from London last year and it immediately struck me as a dump and a sad way to get one's first glimpse of the USA. Even when I lived in India, I never used an airport as bad as MIA. (Plus, a lot of Indian cities are now upgrading or replacing their airports and, from what I have heard, the new ones are really nice.) Heathrow at least has Terminal 5, which I was very impressed by when I saw it in November before it opened (the reason I was flying through MIA, actually). And, now that the baggage mess has been sorted out, it is a very good facility. As for the other terminals there, Terminal 3 is getting a major bit of TLC so that, to the extent possible, it will be brought closer to T5 standards. Terminal 2 will soon be demolished and a new Heathrow East terminal will be built that will be a combination of a refurbished Terminal 1 and a new building where T2 now stands.

Upvote 0

nicole3874

Original Poster
Hi Nicole, can you fill us in on some specifics like where you are flying from, so we can suggest options?

We are flying out of Philadephia (which I like) and have 9 total in our party. 6adults and 3 children (4, 2, 1 1/2). We are going from Jan. 25-31, 2009.

I am so gratefule to all the help and comments from everyone. It really helps to get others opinions when making a decison. Last year we took US Airways and had a 1 hour delay going. With 2 kids that was too much time in the airport, but it wasn't the worst thing that could happen.

Upvote 0

jillybeaner21

i'm so sad about everything that's going on at stewart. when both jetblue and airtran were here it made it so easy and CHEAP to get a flight. i like both and would fly either. i hope jetblue stays cause i sure don't want to have to start making the trek back down to laguardia or jfk:brick:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Yes I am. I do fly out of Steward via AirTrain Aug. 18, but my other flights were cancelled (Nov.-Dec). I was very upset, especially when I had to call and find out myself. No Email from AirTran.:hammer:

I'm flying out on the 16th and coming back on the 25th. With them gone my daughter cannot come home for Thanksgiving. :(

i'm so sad about everything that's going on at stewart. when both jetblue and airtran were here it made it so easy and CHEAP to get a flight. i like both and would fly either. i hope jetblue stays cause i sure don't want to have to start making the trek back down to laguardia or jfk:brick:

I love JetBlue, but since we rarely fly into Orlando it doesn't really help us. Cutting back to one flight a day stinks. Everyone involved is hoping that things change once (and if) the economy recovers. The flights were always full and there really was a need for more, not less flights from both carriers.

Upvote 0

WildLodgeFan

Yes I am. I do fly out of Steward via AirTrain Aug. 18, but my other flights were cancelled (Nov.-Dec). I was very upset, especially when I had to call and find out myself. No Email from AirTran.:hammer:

A slight highjack here - just make sure they have the correct email, especially if booking through a third party like Expedia. We discovered that they had our email incorrect. Once we updated, we have been receiving communication reliably from them.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

A slight highjack here - just make sure they have the correct email, especially if booking through a third party like Expedia. We discovered that they had our email incorrect. Once we updated, we have been receiving communication reliably from them.

They had my correct E-mail and I booked direct with them and they sent confirmations to my E-mail. Yet, they still did not contact me. I found out reading in a newspaper that Airtran was pulling out. I called to verify my reservations and I was told that my flights were ok, then I brought up what I read in the newspaper to the person on the phone. She said let me check into that and came back on the phone and said I was correct and the flights were cancelled.

That is just bad communication.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom