Air Tran Airways

Has anyone ever flown Air Tran airways and if so, what were your likes/dislikes about it.

We are going to Disney in January 09 and I am looking into flights now. Any info would help greatly. There are 9 of us traveling together with 3 small children(4, 2, 1 1/2)

Yellow Shoes

I just booked with AirTran when my flights on Midwest Airlines were canceled.

My new tickets were $100 less than Midwest or Southwest, which made me pretty happy.

On AirTran you pay $6 extra for a reserved seat. In your case, a large group including small children, I would say the extra money is totally worth it.

Our flight to MCO makes a stop in Atlanta (most AirTran flights do), but we only paid the $6 once--we paid it for the Kansas City to Atlanta leg, but not for the Atlanta to Orlando flight.

Alos, with AirTran you can check your baggage at the resort, which you can't do with Southwest or Midwest.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We've used AirTran many times and are doing so again next month. I'm just sad that they are leaving our airport as part of their cutbacks. They were the only ones to fly directly to Florida's gulf coast from our regional airport. Now I have to go into Newark or LaGuardia. :mad:

Upvote 0

Frank&Ollie

Airtran is typically very efficient and family friendly.

Some of their aircraft are pretty small, but if you aren't a frequent business traveller like me that typically doesn't matter.

Usually a great deal, I say book it now before they make more cutbacks.

And I think it is still one of the cheapest (if they are charging at all) for 1st or 2nd checked bags.

Upvote 0

jillybeaner21

Tigsmom...are you talking about Stewart Airport?

That's always where we flew out of and if Jetblue was too expensive we usually took AirTran. I was very surprised to hear they were leaving. Any flight I took with them was always full. They're service was good and I enjoyed it as much as Jetblue. It's going to be difficult not having that second option anymore

Upvote 0

majorrfb

Airtran-Steward Airport

That's always where we flew out of and if Jetblue was too expensive we usually took AirTran. I was very surprised to hear they were leaving. Any flight I took with them was always full. They're service was good and I enjoyed it as much as Jetblue. It's going to be difficult not having that second option anymore

Yes, it is true. As of Sept. 2, Airtran will no longer fly out of SWF. We lost our tickets for the World-Nov. 29-Dec. 7 and had to reschedule with JETBLUE. Cost me an additional $200 + for the same flights BUMMER>:shrug::brick:

Upvote 0

colleen2997

We always fly Airtran Philly to Orlando. They offer many flights to Orlando, however try to get a flight that doens't lay over in Atlanta as many of their flights do. Our filghts to Orlando this year were CHEAP, like $64 each way out of Philly. I couldn't relate to all the threads about high airfare to Florida because Airtran and SW were both offering flights to Orlando for around $64 each way. Can't beat that!!! Makes it almost cheaper than driving down!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Yep, Stewart. This is the second time that they have pulled out of there (once in the 90's before ValueJet took them over). I loved flying JetBlue, but since we very rarely fly into Orlando and almost always fly into Tampa (My daughter goes to school there) AirTran was the best bet. Now it will be harder for her to come home to visit. :(

Upvote 0

Doombuggy13

We flew Airtran to Orlando last December and it was great great service, pleasant staff, planes were clean. On our previous trip we flew Delta and had a horrible flight home. When I was booking our Sept trip I had no problem choosing Airtran for our flights.
I just get worried because they are pulling out of alot of smaller airports and we fly out of Rochester, NY which is very small. As we get closer to our Sept 10 departure I find myself checking their website to make sure nothing has changed. I recently got some of our trip paperwork from Disney and it mentioned that Airtran now charges between $10-$20 for 2nd bags. One plus I loved was the free XM radio available on the planes.

Upvote 0

sring

Has anyone ever flown Air Tran airways and if so, what were your likes/dislikes about it.

We are going to Disney in January 09 and I am looking into flights now. Any info would help greatly. There are 9 of us traveling together with 3 small children(4, 2, 1 1/2)

The problem is, airline travel is really a commodity product. I've had some really great service on all of the airlines I've flown and I've had some really bad ones on the same airlines.

My advise in general to anyone flying (especially those that don't fly often) is:

- Get to the airport early. Anticipate long lines. If you're lucky and they're not better to be early than late.

- Pack light. Know the size and quantity of luggage you can bring on board. If you can avoid checking luggage in most cases you'll save a fee and avoid the risk of lost luggage.

- Know the 3-1-1 rule for liquids that can come through security.

- Have your government photo ID ready

- Remember if there's bad weather, or equipment changes that reduce the number of seats or the flight is oversold....it happens, try not to get angry at the gate agent, it isn;t their fault. Being nice to them (especially when everyone else is grumpy) encourgages them to help you more. You will get to where you need to be eventually, it will be inconvenient and you may have lost time, but it happens. If you call that bad luck, then be happy you're not going to Las Vegas.

- It's a vacation, enjoy the family and friends you're with...it's more bonding time. Whatever is going to happen, is going to happen.

Upvote 0

smk

I have flown AirTran several times and never left on time or had a clean plane. I will avoid them now, if there is any choice to make I will always fly another airline. Plus, they are notorious for booking one time and switching you to another, or worse, cancelling a flight all together. I have enough aggrevation in my life, I don't need it from an airline too!

Upvote 0

nicole3874

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback. My husband is unsure of AirTran. He is afraid to fly and thinks that b/c it is a discount airline that it is less safe. I think he is nuts, but he makes the arrangements.

Upvote 0

frankd1962

I took Air Tran last year after Delta had canceled the flights earlier in the year. So I changed to Air Tran. I loved it.

I got to Logan early (three hours) and as I was checking in the man at the counter asked if I wanted to take an earlier flight that was leaving in twenty mintues. So I took it and got to WDW sooner than I expected. :cool: So instead of getting to there around 4p, I was there at 1p. It made the whole trip so much more exciting to have it start that way. I tell all my friends to take Air Tran if they're heading to WDW.

Upvote 0
We always fly Airtran Philly to Orlando. They offer many flights to Orlando, however try to get a flight that doens't lay over in Atlanta as many of their flights do. Our filghts to Orlando this year were CHEAP, like $64 each way out of Philly. I couldn't relate to all the threads about high airfare to Florida because Airtran and SW were both offering flights to Orlando for around $64 each way. Can't beat that!!! Makes it almost cheaper than driving down!

Hey my name is Colleen and from Philly also!:wave:

As for the OP Airtran is great. They are just as good as Southwest except maybe the plane size. The only reason i like Southwest better is because of the 24 hour check in where you get put into A B or C seating....I dont know why i like that...i just do!:shrug:

Upvote 0

TLS

I've flow AirTran 2x's now and both were good experiences. They have one of the lowest upgrade charges to business class (well worth it if you can afford it!).

My flights never moved more than 1/2 hr, and the planes were always clean for me.

Safety wise, accidents can happen to anyone. I would fly them again.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Hey my name is Colleen and from Philly also!:wave:

As for the OP Airtran is great. They are just as good as Southwest except maybe the plane size. The only reason i like Southwest better is because of the 24 hour check in where you get put into A B or C seating....I dont know why i like that...i just do!:shrug:

You can check in 24 hours prior to your flight and I always choose my seat when I book my flight. Yes there is a charge, but I like to know I don't have to fight anybody for a decent seat.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom