Ah! Another 90s Disney nostalgia thread!

Love this thread! Brings back SOOO many memories!

Lion King was my favorite movie, 92 was the first year I had ever been to the park and we started going almost every year after that. Imagination, Body Wars, when ToT opened, being TERRIFIED of Splash Mountain...list is endless.

devoy1701

I'm reading in between the lines of this thread and getting that:

We miss the Eisner days and the Disney Decade.

We're not happy with Iger and his (lack of) accomplishments.

Iger does not deserve his 51. whatever it was Million compensation... :brick:

oh yeah...I miss Delta Dreamflight and I second what someone else said about the Toon Town show that featured the Afternoon Cartoons from the Disney Channel like Darkwing Duck and Tailspin!

cymbaldiva

I remember being able to just walk up to a table service establishment whenever we happened to be hungry and being able to go in and eat - no ADRs necessary! Good times :)

I miss Horizons and Dream Flight ... heck I miss so much there it makes my heart hurt :(

Oh, and 90's ticket prices - I really miss those! ;)

AREM

Original Poster
I only got to ride the Skyway once back in 1996 when we went to WDW for the very first time. I really enjoyed it! Sad that it is now gone. :-(

I also VIVIDLY remember my dad holding me on his shoulders and seeing 20K for the first time......It was the coolest thing. I loved it!

jakeman

I'm reading in between the lines of this thread and getting that:

We miss the Eisner days and the Disney Decade.

We're not happy with Iger and his (lack of) accomplishments.

Iger does not deserve his 51. whatever it was Million compensation... :brick:

oh yeah...I miss Delta Dreamflight and I second what someone else said about the Toon Town show that featured the Afternoon Cartoons from the Disney Channel like Darkwing Duck and Tailspin!
Makes you wonder, if the internet was around in the 90s, would there be threads wishing for the days of the 80s?

OldLiner

The WDW Resort TV loop. I really loved that it gave an overview of all of the attractions at all of the parks instead of just focusing on a "Top 10" or whatever list.

The Aladdin Parade at MGM Studios.

The Robin Williams/Cronkite film at MGM was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen at any type of park when it was first released.

Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain t-shirts that had "trash-talking" messages on the back re: how intimidating the rides were. Then wearing my Tower of Terror shirt to a Disney Store in San Francisco (long before the California TOT opened) and having every employee there ask me all about it.

tirian

1990 and 1993 - when everything was open, everything worked and nowhere was anywhere near like it.

The years before Eisner went nuts were wonderful. :lol:

Remember when...

• All the S-F-X always worked on all the rides?

• PI was one of the most cutting-edge nightspots in America?

• Disney TV specials featured REAL A-LISTERS instead of mediocre Disney Channel "talent"?

• The Christmas parade aired live and wasn't a huge commercial?

• New parades and specials cycled through frequently?

• TL reopened with AE and Space Mountain TV?

• The DDP hadn't watered down food quality? People used to rave about the restaurants at Disney!

• You didn't mind paying extra $$$ for the food because the servings were huge and delicious?

• You got free after-dinner chocolates at the Disney restaurants?

• The execs understood how special their product was and were proud of it, instead of thinking it's just Pixie Dust, and milking the Princess and Pirates craze for all it's worth?

• Attractions were regularly refurbed, and new things were always opening?

• DTD was still the Disney Village and featured unique merchandise?

• The parks featured unique merchandise?

• The tickets didn't expire?

Senior Class trip 1990 memories:

1. Stephan the Maitre de at the French restaurant in World Showcase. I have a picture of him somewhere. My girlfriends and I all thought he was such a hottie.

2. Short lines. We rode Space Mountain 6 times during that trip sometimes just walking on. (Early May)

3. Having a great time with my classmates at WDW. Good Memories!

surfsupdon

In the 90s everything was unique: the food and stores reflected the area they were from. For example Caribbean Beach's food court had island style flavored food, not your standard fried and grilled stuff. And Frontierland merchandise was frontier inspired.

THE MAIN STREET FLOWER MARKET!! Where that new Emporium addition now sits, the most beautiful area of MK sat. Hundreds and thousands of blooms covered the side street in baskets, pots, wagons, carts, hanging baskets, gardens, behind benches, and just all over. We always stopped here for pictures, and saw many couples get engaged in this location. Now it is a cold run of the mill retail center full of standardized crap.

Everything was open at all times in the 90s and everything was perfectly in order and clean. That's what I miss--the good ole Disney days.

tirian

You know what I miss most about the 90s?

An economy that wasn't shot to hell.

:p

OT: The spending and investment patterns of the 90s created our current economic mess. If somebody asked an economist, not a fame-seeking junkie, who's to blame for our recession, they wouldn't be able to demonize one person in particular. But we Americans like to blame one person because then we don't have to deal with individual responsibility. :rolleyes: :lol:

matt88mph

Ah, the 1990's. Life seemed so simpler then.

Highlights for me include:

-Sitting on a streetcorner in NYC for a whole day to get a good view of the Hercules Main Street Electrical Parade (and getting on the news for it!). And then, that same weekend, seeing Hercules at the New Amsterdam Theatre with a character show beforehand. 1997 for me meant Hercules-mania.
-Being absolutely obsessed with Buzz Lightyear, back at a time where computer-animated movies didn't rule the box office.
-Disney's One Saturday Morning. Never again did I have to wonder how much stuff could an elephant crush. And I learned that great minds think for themselves.
-My two favorite Disney specials aired in 1990: Disneyland's 35th Anniversary Celebration and The Muppets at Walt Disney World.
-My first visit to WDW at the tail end of the 25th Anniversary Celebration. Imagine my first sight of Cinderella Castle being the pink cake.

Oh yeah, and being born was a highlight. On that fateful day, August 14, in the first year of that decade, somewhere in the primitive internet, there was a message that read, "Matt's Trip Countdown: 6 Years, 6 Months"

rsoxguy

One more for me. In the 90's EPCOT used to have an early bird at the restaurants around the World Showcase. They would offer great deals at most of the sit-down restaurants within the nations. I remember that they would have paper place-mats for the kids with classic Disney characters that you could pop-up. The restaurants were not jammed, and the food was a great deal on a budget. Good times.

talfonso

Here's a bad one - getting even more sick after the Toy Story Parade at DHS (then Disney-MGM Studios) and heading home to have me admitted to the hospital for food poisoning! :hurl:

Cmdr_Crimson

I Have 20 Good Reasons..And one heck of a price for Deluxe hotels in 91...:D
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/21XMvj1v5TM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/21XMvj1v5TM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]

LoriMistress

Going to DLR during the 90's.
Seeing Alladin in the movie theater.
Seeing The Little Mermaid in the movie theater.
Seeing Beauty and the Beast in the movie theater.
Riding Splash Mountain and IJ at DLR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom