Afternoon Nap or Open to Close

disneysince71

For Many, Many years when we went to Disney we would go from park open to park close... 12-14 hours.. How ever long the parks where open... We packed the kids bathing suits so they could splash around in the fountains... or we would park hop to a Water park.. When we bought our first DVC points we continued to go at park open but now we go back to the room at lunch and take a nap before going back to the parks.
So my question is what does everyone else do... are you a Open to Close family... or a Afternoon Nap/pool family? :)

HatboxGhost

For Many, Many years when we went to Disney we would go from park open to park close... 12-14 hours.. How ever long the parks where open... We packed the kids bathing suits so they could splash around in the fountains... or we would park hop to a Water park.. When we bought our first DVC points we continued to go at park open but now we go back to the room at lunch and take a nap before going back to the parks.
So my question is what does everyone else do... are you a Open to Close family... or a Afternoon Nap/pool family? :)
Great thread!!!! When my wife and I went on our honeymoon in 2009, we killed ourselves, staying in the parks for at least 12 hours non stop. Now, that had been our first time back for the both of us, since we were teens, so we really wanted to see EVERYTHING......or at least try. Our last vacation at the end of 2012 was more laid back and more thoughtout because we knew how the parks were setup having gone in 2009 and 2011 and knew there were things we didnt want to see again. We decided, on a couple of the days, to actually go back and go swimming which was so relaxing. We will have the same plan for 2013.......go when the park opens and when it becomes a little bit crowded, go swimming or head to DD. We then have the choice to either come back at night or stay at our resort and watch a Disney film out on the lawn.

Upvote 0

littleroo

We are nap people! (Kids are 4 and 6). We show up at rope drop, stay until lunch, go back and nap from about 1:30-4:00, and then head back to the parks until about 9:00pm. It's amazing how much you can get done in just a few hours (and how refreshed and wonderful you feel), when you avoid the peak crowds at midday!

This is exactly what we do!! We do it whether the kids are with us or not!!:)

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Heres my agenda..Attention!!! Attention !!! .Its 6.30am everybody up & out..2.00pm..Chill out & lunch/swim in the resort Quiet pool..5.00pm...Okay Dokey everyone.Lets be having you...The parks are waiting...11.30-12.00 PM...It's time for sleeps. Lets say our prayers." For in my little bed I lie.Father Mickey please hear my cry.Dear Walt protect me thro the night.And make me safe till Disney light." Amen!;)

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Open to close! The afternoon hours are for attractions like Hall of Presidents, Country Bears, Tiki Room, and parades while everyone else is waiting for 90 minutes for Dumbo :)
That's my plan! My boys are in the commando stage of life so I'm going to go with the flow and let them enoy this stage of their lives. Besides while they are going crazy I usually grab a beverage except at Mk!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Heres my agenda..Attention!!! Attention !!! .Its 6.30am everybody up & out..2.00pm..Chill out & lunch/swim in the resort Quiet pool..5.00pm...Okay Dokey everyone.Lets be having you...The parks are waiting...11.30-12.00 PM...It's time for sleeps. Lets say our prayers." For in my little bed I lie.Father Mickey please hear my cry.Dear Walt protect me thro the night.And make me safe till Disney light." Amen!;)
and don't let let wake up with a hangover! AMEN!

Upvote 0

s&k'smom

Ever since DH and I started going we take the afternoon break. Going off season it helps as we can get a lot done in just a couple of hours, now my kids have always done this as well and really like it, we usually head back to the resort after lunch for a swim, nap, just down time. Wouldn't have it any other way. I know me and DH and we would never ever survive each other if we stayed open to close!

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

Go back to the resort. We don't necessarily nap, but just rest and relax. If I go at rope drop, which I normally do, I am burned out by noon or 1. I need to go back to the resort and take an hour to just sit and relax, whether it be the room, pool, food court, etc. Sometimes we will just find a nice relaxing show or ride to go on a couple of times and we are ready to keep going, but for the most part we head to the resort during the afternoon.

Sometimes, we use the the relaxing time to visit other resorts, primarily on the monorail loop.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I can never nap unless I am completely exhausted. I hate to nap because it takes time out of my day.

If I am at the world during warm weather I usually will take an afternoon break and hit the pools, plus the parks are usually open later. In the cooler weather I spend the whole day and night in the parks, especially when the parks close earlier.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

We used to do the parks open to close. We did that for three trips and came home exhusted! Now, we take breaks. I think the time of year going impacts when we get to the parks, etc. Since we have been going when it is warmer out, May, June, Sept, we tend to hit the pool in the afternoon and just hang out until dinnertime or just after. Because we now go with our travel trailer and stay at FWC we hang out and relax much more as we don't feel chased out of the room by mousekeeping. I get to do my own mousekeeping. As DH is always last out of bed he gets to do the bed making and I take care of cooking and dishes. I know our upcoming trip we are planning on doing a lot of dining right at our campsite that involves the liberal use of the grill so our park time for the evening will not start until after we dine. Nice thing is, we like to dine around 5:30 pm so when we get to the parks other people will probably be eating and not on rides, etc.
Having the break time at our camp has been wonderful for really feeling that we are on vacation and rested when we get home.

Upvote 0

93boomer

Premium Member
We used to do that first-timer thing too of rushing and doing everything! It just about killed us!! Yes the DD could handle it but she was young!! The older we get, the more relaxed we've become. We usually get to the parks an hour after opening, then sometimes park hop doing our favorite things. If we even go back to the room, not feeling well or late at night and too tired!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom