After The Last Final Answer

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
It's still sinking in that "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: Play It" will never open again.

As I continue to try to make sense of a decision that defies all logic, I am wondering if anyone knows what is being done with the components of the set at the attraction? Will items like the 'hot seat' be put up for auction on ebay?

I certainly hope they do give us fans an opportunity to keep some of the magic alive by being able to keep some of the parts of what we enjoyed for over 5 years.

jedimaster1227

The decision doesn't really defy logic. Logically, Disney saw the (tv) show's loss in popularity, its lack of viewers and the fact that it was getting old. They needed an attraction with a re-visitability factor and Millionare didn't have that for as many guests as you would think. The show had its time and now its Midway Mania's turn. If it makes you feel any better, there will probably some kind of wink or tribute to Millionare inside of Midway Mania, most likely dialogue "Is that your final answer?" or "Can I use a lifeline?"

DisneySaint

Half-filled theaters is probably why, by the same could be said about Sounds Dangerous which consistently has less than 25% of seats filled.

CaptainMichael

As I continue to try to make sense of a decision that defies all logic

How does it defy all logic? Who Wants to be a Millionaire isn't the hottest, latest thing anymore...hasn't been in years. How is replacing an attraction based on it with an interactive darkride that the whole family can enjoy not logical?:veryconfu

Tigger1988

How does it defy all logic? Who Wants to be a Millionaire isn't the hottest, latest thing anymore...hasn't been in years. How is replacing an attraction based on it with an interactive darkride that the whole family can enjoy not logical?:veryconfu

It doesn't seem logical because Sounds Dangerous remains untouched, why remove an attraction that is still popular and filling the theater, rather than one people have zero desire to see.

WDWBro

I know what you mean. I can see myself going down to WDW with my family in October, and after we ride RnRc, I'll say, "When's the next Millionaire?"

It will be then that my family stares a blank stare in my direction, and I will realize it and say to myself, "It's gone."

R.I.P. Millionaire :(

Born: April 7, 2001
Died: August 19, 2006

Only the good die young...

Blizz

It doesn't seem logical because Sounds Dangerous remains untouched, why remove an attraction that is still popular and filling the theater, rather than one people have zero desire to see.

Two words my friends... operating costs.

Why pay for an equity performer, 1 or 2 Walt Disney Entertainment techs, and a bunch of attractions/ops CMs when the show is only half filled.

Drew only requires 2 or 3 attractions/ops CMs that only cost maybe $6.90 or a little more an hour.

It's all about money. No matter how out dated the ABC trivia is in the queue for Drew the fact is it is cheap to run and the show is almost always half full to full.

jedimaster1227

I wouldn't say it was filling the theater. In fact, the park was getting so desperate to get people to go in on my last day at MGM that they were begging them and at one point bribing them with Fast Passes to other attractions in the park.

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
A Vulcan Would Have Trouble Understanding This

As has been brought up already..."Sounds Dangerous" has no fan base and has about 15 people at most of its showings, and right next door, you've got the ABC Soundstage that has been abandoned for years!

There is no way to argue that "Millionaire" as a TV show is dead...it was just re-signed for 2 more years!

It absolutely defies logic, taking out an attraction that was highly popular, when you have plenty of space elsewhere that can house a new and needed attraction.

Not to mention, that it was the only thing that justified the word "studio" in the name of the park. To my knowledge, the tapings of the "Millionaire" television show were the only productions actually being done at the park since they closed the animation studios. So I guess it should now be called Disney MGM Park.

In my opinion, it was probably the most rediculous and the worst thought out plan in Disney history.

But getting back to my question...does anyone know about possible auctions of items from the attraction?

Tigger1988

I wouldn't say it was filling the theater. In fact, the park was getting so desperate to get people to go in on my last day at MGM that they were begging them and at one point bribing them with Fast Passes to other attractions in the park.

When I was there earlier this month it was to max capacity. Every single seat was filled, and I saw no bribing going on.

jedimaster1227

I'm sorry to tell you, but once again, I will repeat, "Millionare was a dying show." And yes, you can quote me on that. You have to realize where Disney was coming from. The attraction was failing to pull in enough guests and that isn't good. At least Sounds Dangerous fills up its minimum capacity on most days, Millionare didn't. Sorry to tell you but Sounds Dangerous really did do better than Millionare, hence the show being kept while Millionare is replaced.

SGT623

Thank goodness some of you are not in charge or else gems like Carousel Of Progress and the Tiki Room would have been gutted years ago. Millionaire, despite it's TV ratings, seemed to always have a healthy crowd when I was there and I went often. I am not against a new ride, but why get rid of a good show for it? Don't say space either, there is room to be had. Oh well, nothing to do about it now.

jedimaster1227

Thank goodness some of you are not in charge or else gems like Carousel Of Progress and the Tiki Room would have been gutted years ago. Millionaire, despite it's TV ratings, seemed to always have a healthy crowd when I was there and I went often. I am not against a new ride, but why get rid of a good show for it? Don't say space either, there is room to be had. Oh well, nothing to do about it now.

One other problem-Millionare was not a modular attraction. Midway Mania will be, leaving room for easy upgrades or fixes, and if or when the time comes for Florida to become a studio capital again, Disney is saving the option to have the studio facilities reinstated.

LudwigVonDrake

Sounds Dangerous/ABC Soundstage is prime real estate for a new attraction as well. Jim Hill had rumored a few months back that a Night Before Christmas ride was going into that spot.

I'll believe it when I see it :)

Chape19714

Unfortunately, who wants to be a millionaire was a dying attraction. It lacked the ability to pull in the necessary grounds in order to keep it open. how long can you honestly a show like this to go on for? millionaire is no longer the most popular show in prime time, as a matter of fact, it's not even in prime time anymore. the show had a good run and we have to be thankful for that. and as much as we'd like to pretend space is not an issue the fact remains that space is an issue in all four theme Parks. it may not seem that way, that you have to consider layouts and other practicality issues involved in adding another Land or ride to the park. besides that, MGM is very small to begin with, doubling its size in just a few short years. MGM now has the lowest attendence and needs a new E-ticket attraction to bring the crowds back. I believe management made a smart decision on this.

By the way, the tiki room is already gone from florida, thanks to some certain new show they put in starring Iago and Zazu. carousel of progress still manages to bring in a crowd, hitting it's marks for the day, which Millionarie Didn't.

Skippy

someone obviously doesn't remember Stitches Great Escape.

:p :brick:
I'll put JII's replacement as the worst.

There is no way to argue that "Millionaire" as a TV show is dead...it was just re-signed for 2 more years!

I guess my argument is, 'It's still on TV? I don't even know what station, or even care..' It is nowhere near as popular as it once was, despite how many years it remains on TV.

Scar Junior

Eventhough it's still on TV it's not on primetime. It's on a rip-off version of the original show. They had to add more lifelines; the contestants weren't as smart as the original show's. Locally, it's going up against Montel Williams and re-runs of cancelled sitcoms. Does this look like something that you would want to base an attraction off of? I think a Montel Williams style show would be way more entertaining to have in Disney MGM Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom