AFC Championship Game

Jrn14

Original Poster
So a big chunk of my Pittsburgh family is coming down to the parks this upcoming weekend. So as often does seem to happen its' January and the Steelers have found their way to another championship game. Our plan for Sunday is to go to Epcot. I think some of the group might want to duck out to watch the game, while others are going to probably stay in the park. I was just trying to figure out some possible options for the game watchers besides just going back to the hotel to watch (Saratoga Springs). I know ESPN Zone is a good option because it's within walking distance of the park and the game will def be on, but I am concerned about the possible crowd. With the Steelers and Patriots playing who both coming from cities who send a lot of tourists to WDW especially in the winter months... Im worried there may be no room at ESPN. Has anyone been down in WDW for a big game? Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with the ESPN Zone? Any other spots to watch or bars/restaurants to recommend? Thanks

R W B

Let's see, I've watched one SEC championship at Ohana's bar, watched a Super Bowl from my room (cabin), watched another SEC Championship at the bar right by Chef Mickey's in the Contempory and I tried to watch one game at ESPN Zone but I called first and they said they were packed, forgot which game though.

Rinx

I think you're best off just going back to Saratoga. Just my opinion, I'd prefer not to have to deal with the crowds and possible rowdiness.

rob0519

Why not just DVR the game and watch it when you get home? You can catch all the highlights on ESPN that night at your resort. I'm a Season Ticket Holder for the Blackhawks and was in the MK the night they won the Cup in Boston. Three hours of Family and Vacation Time in WDW is more important to me than a sporting event, that in the end, has no impact on my personal life.

To each his own, though. I hope you and the family find a place to watch and enjoy the game.

Jrn14

Original Poster
I will be in the parks during the game.. Love the Steelers but I'd rather spend the time enjoying the parks as I would imagine most of the crowd would, but there are 14 of us of all different ages and number of visits. I know some of the group was talking about watching the game somewhere I just wanted to see what kind of options there were for them. I heard they will put it on at the resort and pull out extra tvs for big games?

BigRedDad

I can only tell you from my experience for the Superbowl (Seattle/NE Pats). ESPN bar was packed. They had bleacher seating on the patio with a giant projector going. There was some type of cover charge to get in as well. With that said, it was GREAT for those of us that were smarter. You could stand or sit on a stool behind the gate at ESPN on the boardwalk. You got to watch and listen to those that paid a big price for it. The other benefit is that if you had your own little cooler, the beer was MUCH cheaper. Watched the entire Super Bowl sitting there with a group of about 10 others that pulled up bar stools. Bought a pizza from the place up the way on the boardwalk to munch on as well.

I would not be too concerned going there. Plenty of room and I expect them to do something similar.

Jrn14

Original Poster
Thanks! I guess if we are at Epcot they could always walk out to the Boardwalk check it out and come back if they aren't feeling it.

lukacseven

ESPN Zone gets really crowded, unless you arrive early - there's usually a queue line outside for playoff/bowl games. Best bet is a hotel/restaurant bar. I was running the marathon 2 of the years the Broncos were in the playoffs. Couldn't find a seat anywhere for the Steelers playoff game in 2012. The whole of WDW simultaneously went crazy when Tebow threw the TD pass in overtime. Not as crowded last year. Anyway, have you looked into streaming the game on your smartphone??? That way you can enjoy the park and still keep updated on the game.

MrDee

I love football (a Steeler fan, too...living in Pats Country), but when I'm in Disney, I'm IN Disney. I have had two or three trips down there during Super Bowl Sunday, and the way I see it is, hotel-be-damned. I NEED to be at the parks, or their environs, and if I somehow catch a glimpse of the big game, all the better. I collect the Blu-Ray sets afterwards anyway, and can see every playoff game and Super Bowl on that. I'm weird that way.

21stamps

Does Saratoga Springs have cabanas at the pool? This is what we did for a big game in November. It was perfect.
The pool bar was also full of people watching the game and the entire pool area had such a great vibe that day. Even the rest of the evening while we were out and about we constantly ran into others in their team gear, high fives, and team sayings galore. It was really neat.

Honestly, it was one of my top days at Disney World ever. :).

Tk0021

That's funny I am from Pittsburgh and we were at Disney when Penguins won the Stanley Cup this past June. I missed the series winning game ( the Penguins just couldn't win it at home in game 5). I was about to get on to the Astro Orbitor when I checked my phone to see that they won. I had to wait to watch the highlights at the hotel that night. The rest of our trip we were asked several times by cast members where we were from and all of them congratulated us on the win. I thought that was nice of them.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I am an absolutely obsessed and die hard Steelers fan and my little boy is actually named Ben after Big Ben. I just wanted to come in here and say HERE WE GO, STEELERS! HERE WE GO! LOL! Also I'd just watch the game from the room. I'm a devout member of the best Steelers board on the web and we always chat online during the game and I would want to be where I could do that. The game is scheduled for 6:40. Also back in May I actually met James Harrison just walking around at the MK and got my pic with him. I told him he had to kill it this year and he has definitely been great. I take full credit for it! LOL! My Disney fandom and Steelers fandom are pretty much equal in devotion. My family won't even plan events during football season because they flat out know if it's during Steeler time there will be no sign of me.

Last edited:

Dukeblue1227

I've watched a few divisional round games from ESPN bar. The biggest issue you'll run into is the Pats game is the second game. So you simply will not be able to get into the ESPN bar during the first game. It'll be pretty much closed off. However, it is likely as soon as the NFC championship game is over, a lot of packers and Falcons fans will leave and it'll open up enough to get in.

So you'll need to get there early and plan to wait in line for awhile without moving. However, you should be able to get in and at least stand (I've never gotten a seat during playoffs to watch).

Best of luck to ya. (In terms of watching, not in terms of the game, Go Pats! ;))

MaryJaneP

With the availability of Wi-Fi, couldn't you watch/hear the game on your personal phone? It wouldn't even require leaving the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom