Advice wanted: Deciding between AKL and SSR

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I am not a fan of SSR. I really regret having it as our home resorts. Even the Treehouse, which are lovely, arent enough to make me want to stay there again. The lack of parking was a problem and they were a little dark. Perhaps if we had one overlooking the golf course it may have been better.

I loved Kidani Village, it just feels like a Disney resort compared to the retirement community feel of SSR. the buses are problimatic at times but 100 time better than SSR. The restaurants are also a lot better

stlbobby

I am not a fan of SSR. I really regret having it as our home resorts. Even the Treehouse, which are lovely, arent enough to make me want to stay there again. The lack of parking was a problem and they were a little dark. Perhaps if we had one overlooking the golf course it may have been better.

I loved Kidani Village, it just feels like a Disney resort compared to the retirement community feel of SSR. the buses are problimatic at times but 100 time better than SSR. The restaurants are also a lot better

Your bus issue, as they usually are, is more likely just unlucky timing. I just got back from SS and never waited more than 5-10 minutes and had several 2-3 waits, had I been just a bit later, or earlier, leaving the room my waits would have been much longer.

The restaurants are better at AKL, but the proximity of Downtown mitigates some of that for SS.

Pumbas Nakasak

If you stay at the treehouses you'll know what I mean about the bus service, we started walking to the Grandstand as it was quicker even from our treehouse near the entrance.

The biggest problem we saw was folk waiting at the main building not getting on cause the bus was full, and that was a daily occurrence, we were OK as we were on 1st but the same thing was happening 2 years ago especially 1st thing before the parks opened.

stlbobby

If you stay at the treehouses you'll know what I mean about the bus service, we started walking to the Grandstand as it was quicker even from our treehouse near the entrance.

The biggest problem we saw was folk waiting at the main building not getting on cause the bus was full, and that was a daily occurrence, we were OK as we were on 1st but the same thing was happening 2 years ago especially 1st thing before the parks opened.

I've never stayed at the treehouses, but I can see how transferring buses would be an issue.

slappy magoo

I'm not sure if this is a regular thing or not, but when we booked the Treehouses, the CM advised us to a: have our own car and b: stock the refrigerator well, as it's not a hop skip and a jump to the main building for a snack.

I probably like SSR more than you (no, no don't try to argue with me on that) but one thing that ticked me off was this: One of the reasons I liked buying into SSR was the proximity to Pleasure Island.
What was that?
Exactly.

Now for people who don't care as much for some of the more elaborate themes of the other resorts, who like their vacations to be less than Disney 24/7, and for people who like to do a lot of shopping on their trips, SSR is awesome. To be that close to all the Disney shops is some people's idea of a dream vacation. And the boat access is very nice, too. But had I known how difficult it could sometimes be to book outside the home resort, even at the 7 month window, I may have opted to either go resale, or waited for a resort that interested me more, like VAK and BLT do. But while I did enough research to know that I'd like to join DVC, I didn't have the foresight to appreciate the possibility that so many more deluxes would get DVC wings in time.

Of course, if I REALLY had foresight, I would have waited for the economy to collapse and get VAK points for about as much as Hilton Head points were going for a couple of years ago.

Oh, and to answer a question Jarissa asked me:
Originally Posted by slappy magoo View Post
I've tried booking Villas at Animal Kingdom at the 7 month window, and remained on the wait list up until our departure date, with no luck.
Aack! Oh, no! Was this during peak season? Or could this reasonably happen no matter when we plan to travel?

This was Value season, BUT it was Value season in early December, which DVC members will tell you is still highly in demand, due to members wanting to go see WDW all dolled up for the holidays without dealing with the Christmas Week crowds. It's still not as busy in the parks as it will be come Xmas Eve, but the DVC units are hopping.

Pumbas Nakasak

I would like to point out that since I made a number disparaging posts about not getting waiting list Ive had it three visits on the trot. Inc Kidani at Thanksgiving :eek:

Coincidence ?????? :drevil:

Cars would be great if there were parking slots for every treehouse and not the source of tension almost as bad as in europe with Germans with towels on sunbeds.

Jarissa

Original Poster
I'm not sure if this is a regular thing or not, but when we booked the Treehouses, the CM advised us to a: have our own car and b: stock the refrigerator well, as it's not a hop skip and a jump to the main building for a snack.

Oh, and to answer a question Jarissa asked me:

This was Value season, BUT it was Value season in early December, which DVC members will tell you is still highly in demand, due to members wanting to go see WDW all dolled up for the holidays without dealing with the Christmas Week crowds. It's still not as busy in the parks as it will be come Xmas Eve, but the DVC units are hopping.

I can certainly see that! We figure we're going to be doing all of our Disney trips in the cooler months, but I doubt we'll do December twice in our lives.

Thanks to you and Pumbas Nakasak and all the other input above, we're about 90% devoted to getting Animal Kingdom and rising. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the time and effort you have taken for me!

Cars would be great if there were parking slots for every treehouse and not the source of tension almost as bad as in europe with Germans with towels on sunbeds.

:ROFLOL: Now there's a mental image!

oldkeyw

We love AK Lodge, especially Jambo House because of the beautiful lobby and great lobby bar. It's such a great place to hang out in hot (or in the case of this past Christmas, cold) weather, and we really like the pool area here. We've been to Kidani once and it was okay, but we prefer Jambo House because of the great public areas. Plus if you have a room with a good savanna view, it's fun to sit out there, have a drink and watch the animals!

fivetexans

We have stayed at SSR twice, Jambo House once, and Kidani Village 3 times.

We bought AKL back in 2008, and love it!! It is an excellent resort. While I don't think you could go wrong choosing SSR or AK, we really love our home resort.

I've never had a problem booking anywhere from 5 - 11 months out at Kidani. I just made reservations for July 2011 and had no problems getting a savanah view. I can see during Christmas and Spring Break that might be a problem, but it shouldn't be a big problem with booking.

My wife's sister and family are members at SSR. This last December they stayed at Kidani Village with us (Dec 17-23). My wife's sister commented that their time at Kidani was the most relaxed she had ever been at Disney World.

Being out from all the main parks and the main traffic is all part of it. It's really no big deal to get to Downtown Disney, MK, Epcot, or anywhere. The swimming pool at both Jambo House and Kidani are great. The Boma is my favorite restaurant. And the different savanahs all around the resorts are incredible. We can sit out on our balcony and watch the animals for a long time.

Also, Animal Kingdom (in my opinion) is one of the few resorts that you can stay at the resort all day long, never leave, and always have something to do. This is true whether you are a child or an adult.

While we enjoyed SSR (hey it's Disney and it's gonna be good), I'll take AK any day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom