Advice to someone who hasn't been in 15yrs and family has never been!

chefmstobey

Original Poster
My family,2boys(7&10)and my wife, are going to WDW in May. I haven't been in 15 years, and my wife has never been.We are staying on site at the pop century and have purchased hopper passes. If there is one thing you could give me for advice on getting the most out of our 7 days what would it be? PS This website has made my trip better already thanks to all of you guys!

jesserin

Tip #1. Don't try to do everything in one week... you will wear yourselves out and not want to come back. Take it easy and you'll really enjoy the parks!

#2. Plan ahead. Make some dining arrangments ahead of time (go to allearsnet.com to look at menu's and prices) then call the disney dining line at (407)WDW-DINE to make some priority seating arrangments... this will save you from not getting in at all or getting in with a 2 hour wait at most restaurants!

#3.Plan ahead... part 2 - ;) - Get your boys to look at the rides with you online... get them to pick out the one's they MUST do, especially your 7 year old... only a few rides at WDW are "thrill" rides - so it's good to go over all those things before you go (height requirements, etc.) so that when you get to the parks you have a plan for what you'd like to do.

#4. Good choice on the hotel! Y'all are going to have a blast! My next tip is to enjoy your resort - they are wonderful places and can really provide some great down time. The pools are beautiful and the set up of the resorts can't be matched! ;)

#5. Most of all have fun!

MasterGracey71

Pace yourselves.......

As someone who worked in this industry for five years and has had an AP to WDW since 99, one thing I notice is the amount of miserable people that go to the parks here in Central Florida.

People tend to forget that they are on vacation, and put themselves through a more detailed/time focused schedule then they would do at home.

If you miss something, it's ok. Enjoy what you get to see.

The only "appointment" mentality you should have is keeping everyone fed.

Just take your time and enjoy.

You have seven days, you will very likely get to see what you really want twice, but will miss some things.

RonAnnArbor

My advice - and given you are there for 7 days - is to enjoy and take your time. You will be there at a mid-crowd time of year and you will have plenty of time to do everything. 7 days is more than enough to do everything. That being said my four tips are:
1. Don't go to the parks that have extended magical hours on those days. Go to an alternate. The EMH are like crowd magnets as people think they are getting some sort of a bargain for their money. It makes no difference crowd wise for the rides - and it brings in MORE people to the park on that day.
2. Use fast passes as much as possible - but even that being said - get to the park before it opens and you will enjoy much more. Get the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World at your local bookstore and clip out the touring plan maps from the back of the book - they work. Soarin', widely publicized throughout the park, is the heaviest demand attraction at WDW right now - ride it first thing in the morning at Epcot, and if you get there after park opening, get fast passes - they are usually all gone by 11:00 am.
3. Plan your dining arrangements and/or character meals in advance. You must have reservations, and there is nothing like getting to the park with no reservations and suddenly two kids who absolutely must have their breakfast with Buzz Lightyear and they are all booked.

jesserin

RonAnnArbor said:
My advice - and given you are there for 7 days - is to enjoy and take your time. You will be there at a mid-crowd time of year and you will have plenty of time to do everything. 7 days is more than enough to do everything. That being said my four tips are:
1. Don't go to the parks that have extended magical hours on those days. Go to an alternate. The EMH are like crowd magnets as people think they are getting some sort of a bargain for their money. It makes no difference crowd wise for the rides - and it brings in MORE people to the park on that day.
2. Use fast passes as much as possible - but even that being said - get to the park before it opens and you will enjoy much more. Get the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World at your local bookstore and clip out the touring plan maps from the back of the book - they work. Soarin', widely publicized throughout the park, is the heaviest demand attraction at WDW right now - ride it first thing in the morning at Epcot, and if you get there after park opening, get fast passes - they are usually all gone by 11:00 am.
3. Plan your dining arrangements and/or character meals in advance. You must have reservations, and there is nothing like getting to the park with no reservations and suddenly two kids who absolutely must have their breakfast with Buzz Lightyear and they are all booked.

Just to clarify - and correct me if I'm wrong - but at last check this breakfast was still in planning and no reservations are being taken yet... just didn't want to get anyone's hopes up...

bigorangeandy

Try to get to the parks each day before they open, lines will the shortest each morning. Don't try to do to much the first few days, you want to have energy at the end of YOUR vacation. Use fastpass. You will not be able to do everything, which always makes for a good reason to come back. Good luck and have fun (and take lots of pictures of the kids, and your family)

bandtrumpet

Great idea of staying on site, It is much easiear that way.
1. Main street opens half an hour before the park so i recamend to get there early for at least one of the days(its cool to watch the rope drop!)

2. Dont plan to much into it, only plan the esentials(food, rests, ect.) Once you get into the park go with the flow, there shouldnt be a HUGE croud but it is good to do the major rides early because as the day goes on it gets more crouded.

3. If you have time go and do your favorites again!

4. USE FASTPASS, its not just a decoration.

5. Watch the parades and shows! It is magical to see all of your favorite characters. Its also a nice time to relax. I recamond(sorry bout spelling) WISHES!(its amaizing infront of the statue of walt and mickey), Share A Dream Come True Parade, FANTASMIC!, Lights Moters Action, and Illuminations!

6. Meet the characters! Toon Town is a goldmine!

7. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Sorry that this is so long but I hope that I have helped!

shopsuzy-q

Hi- I am Mom of 10&12 year old, been going since they were your kids age...here is what we know...
1)stay open minded.
2)unofficial guide helped us alot!
3)fastpass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4)plan to get up in the a.m., chose a day or two for sleeping in if you need it...but it's not the kind of vaca. to lie in bed.....you get SOOOOOOO much out of being at a park in the a.m.!!!!!!!!! Avoid parks early entry!
5)if you have the time, bus or monorail around to check out other resorts for future stays...this was fun and we gathered helpful info...
6)on my first trip, exiting magic at closing terrified me!! beware!! Browse around while everyone else gets trampled(candy shop on main st.) watch out for strollers,and wheelchairs for sure , they can be lethal , hold on to your kids!
7)don't book too many meals....eating on the go works and is cheaper.
8)you'll make memories for a lifetime and then you can become a disney fanatic, it just happens.....
have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nemo14

I'll second what a lot of others have said.
Take the time to plan ahead, but allow room for flexibility.
If you have park hoppers, then split your day up, so no one gets "Bored" with any one place. Take breaks during the day - go back to the hotel for a swim or nap, then hit the parks again later on.
Plan a day midweek to just "R&R" The kids will need some down time and so will you. Allow yourselves the luxury that day of sleeping in, catching a morning swim then head out to visit other resorts or DTD.
It can get quite hot in May, so drink plenty of water. We bring our own Brita bottles, and save a lot of $$ that way.
Remember that you're on vacation - don't forget to realx and enjoy!

Have a magical time! We'll be there for a weekend in May too! :wave:

Look after your feet. If one of your party abuses their feet you will all have a miserable time.

Keep hydrated. The sun and air conditioning dry you out much faster than you realize. Again, one person's dehydration will make your whole party miserable.

Learn to use Fast Pass.

Learn to use Extra Magic Hours. Some people say to avoid that park, but I say that first thing in the morning and last thing at night are great times to ride the most popular attractions and see the characters. Do avoid that park if you can't be very early for early opening or stay very late for late closing.

Avoid Downtown Disney in the rain. In fact you may find that you will have the parks to yourself in the rain. Just remember to dress appropriately.

Take lots of pictures and have lots of fun!!:sohappy:

Tink

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My only addition to what's been suggested is get the Disney Dining Plan! It allows you to eat at restaurants that might otherwise be too expensive. DS10 and I just got back from a week and it was worth it. Neither of us are big eaters, but a counter service and a table service with one snack per day worked really well for our needs. We couldn't eat everything on our plates, but what we had was worth every penny. I'm guessing we spent as much on food as we would have paying as we went, but got at least $400 more than what we actually paid for because we were trying things we wouldn't normally try.

Craig & Lisa

Everyone has mentioned things that will work great, now for the big one, half way thru the day leave the park and go back to your resort and take a break, NAPS, NAPS, NAPS!!!!!. In 15 years the place has changed alot and is alot BIGGER, you need to do this so you will have a wonderful time.:animwink:

GenerationX

Over-plan, under-schedule.

In other words, make sure you know what your entertainment options are and who wants to see what (before you leave), then only schedule the top priorities. Hit the other attractions as you have time.

pluto77

Tinkershelly said:
Learn to use Extra Magic Hours. Some people say to avoid that park, but I say that first thing in the morning and last thing at night are great times to ride the most popular attractions and see the characters. Do avoid that park if you can't be very early for early opening or stay very late for late closing.
I agree. The best thing to do might be to go to a different park that might be less crowded during the day, and then go to the park offering the extra magic hour after it has already closed.

Someone kind of mentioned this, but if your there for the fireworks, I found the best thing to do is just to relax and let most of the crowds leave the park, and then leave. I know in the MK MainStreet is open 40 minutes after the park closes, so you can stop at Casey's or the baker/ice cream, sit down and eat a snack, while the huge mob of people are fighting their way through crowds. Then once it dies down a little, go for the exit. So as long as your not in a hurry, that works out fine, because it's not like they push people out.

Use Fastpass. But you don't have to use it for every ride that offers it just because they have it. For example, get a fast pass for tower of terror, then get in line for Rock 'n' roller coaster, by the time you out it should be about time for tower of terror (depending on how busy it is).

And I agree, it is important to plan some time to relax. Spend some time down by the pool, relaxing in your room, or even just taking it slow eating dinner or something. Especially, since your wife has never been there, if everything is too stressful she probably won't leave with a great impression.

Well I hope my little comments helped a little. Have fun to your trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom