Advice on WDW with an infant

ErickainPA

We took our son in April when he was exactly 7 months old.

Strollers - bring your own that is a lightweight one and reclines or a snap and go and carseat if your child is still in their infant carseat. We had our travel system stroller with us, so it was big as you know, we didn't take his carseat with us

Strollers in Restaurants - our son didn't sit well in the highchairs. We told them we needed to take his stroller and many didn't have a problem with it (LeCellier just moved a chair out from our corner table and it worked great), if our son was awake we made sure to have his blanket to support him in the highchair. The only place not allowed was The Land (they never allow strollers so that was nothing new) and at Hollywood and Vine. Whispering Canyon we didn't take the stroller, but he was not having anything to do with the highchair, was tired and cranky so my husband went and got the stroller and we put it at the table and it was not in the way at all. Of course, that restaurant is loud so between them screaming and him in the highchair he had a mini meltdown. We left as soon as we finished eating and he fell asleep on the way to the boat.

Rides - lots of rides you can do. We took our son on the Safari at AK and he liked it, laughed the whole time seeing the animals (he watches Baby Noah all the time so knows animals) If loud noises scare your baby,and you want to go to Haunted Mansion, cover the ears up in the stretch room since people always yell. Lots of things our son slept through like Fantasmic.

Characters - our son loved seeing the characters, we got lots of pics of him with them. If you go to AK and stay for the parade (we never saw it before so it was a nice break to finally do things we never did before) and we had a prime spot near the front of the park. We stood in the corner near a light pole where you would turn left to go to Camp Mickey and Minnie. ALL the characters that walked and not on a float came up to our son and touched his foot or his hand, and he smiled up a storm at that. It was priceless. The CM's said we had a prime spot for the parade and for the characters to interact with us.

Make sure to get to the resort for a normal nap for your child, everyone will be much happier with a rested baby. Your pace will be much slower than it was without kids. Make sure to take time to relax at the pool and just veg a little. We went to the parks for 4 days straight and in retrospect we should have only gone 3 days instead and just spent one whole day at the pool or walking DTD. It was a lot of stimulation for our little guy and he was just getting cranky from it all.

Have a great trip and remember to take pictures. Here are ours from the trip when he was 7 months old: http://www.uglyduck.com/proof/florida07/

WDWEric

Here are some excellent rides to bring an infant on: World of Motion, The Swan Boats @ MK, Dreamflight, If you had wings, Mission to Mars, River Country Kiddie Pool (the kiddie pools at the Disney Inn and The Treehouse Villas are also fabulous,) and The Hall of Presidents Starring Aerosmith.

Was this post really necessary? People are looking for help and answers to questions here not some newbie's sarcasm. If you can't answer the question don't post!

Passport

I don't think the the OP wanted sarcasm for an answer, How old are your kids and how young were they when u first took them?

I waited until she was 8. I waited until she would truly enjoy it and remember going. I wasn't trying to sarcastic. I was trying to be realistic. I do see quite a few parents pushing their sleeping children around and think to myself would I be having fun if I was their child or the parents? And I think do I remember anything that happened when I was under 1 years old?

Karolena

I waited until she was 8. I waited until she would truly enjoy it and remember going. I wasn't trying to sarcastic. I was trying to be realistic. I do see quite a few parents pushing their sleeping children around and think to myself would I be having fun if I was their child or the parents? And I think do I remember anything that happened when I was under 1 years old?

My first trip was when I was three years old. And no I have no actually memory of the event, but I do have it on tape. And my dad did really want to go to Disney World, but from the video it looks like I had alot of fun.

Someone, said this on another thread, so I'll repeat it. You're kids are not going to remember anything from that age, so why take them anywhere, like the zoo or the park?

Good luck with your baby and I'm sure as long as you're realistic you will have alot of fun. :wave:

Passport

I will refrain from responding further. I am sorry my differenting opinions seem to attack others and their beliefs. I did not intend to upset anyone and again I am sorry.

NewfieFan

I have to put my 2 cents worth in here. People with small children still want a vacation and whether or not our children will remember it doesn't matter. Just b/c kids won't remember something doesn't mean we're not going to do special things for them. I take my kids to the park, museums, etc., they're are not going to remember those things but I will! And that's what it's all about - the memories. I took my 2 very small children to WDW. I stuck to their schedules (as much as possible) and pretty much had the trip revolve around them. Some of the fondest memories I have with my kids were on that trip. Will my kids remember it? Probably not! Will I remember it? Forever!
I think the problem with WDW is that people think you're either a.) wasting your money if you take young children (it is an expensive vacation) or b.) the kids are going to be unhappy b/c they're going to be dragged around morning, noon, and night (tired, hungry, & hot) while the parents try to get their money's worth.
My point is you CAN have a magical vacation with young children - if it's done right! :D

NewfieFan

I will refrain from responding further. I am sorry my differenting opinions seem to attack others and their beliefs. I did not intend to upset anyone and again I am sorry.

I don't think you've upset anybody (this can be a hot topic - children always are)! Everyone is intitled to their opinion, you, me, & everybody else. It's stuff like this that's gets these forums talking. So maybe b/c of you we've enlightened other people to this topic!:wave:

Was this post really necessary? People are looking for help and answers to questions here not some newbie's sarcasm. If you can't answer the question don't post!

Yes it was. The purpose of the post was to illustrate the frustrating time one would have with an infant at Disney. Read between the lines. There is a reason why Disney does not charge children under 3.

Newbie? I think not my friend. I worked there for 5 years and I have vacationed there for 20 years prior.

happymom52003

Yes it was. The purpose of the post was to illustrate the frustrating time one would have with an infant at Disney. Read between the lines. There is a reason why Disney does not charge children under 3.

Newbie? I think not my friend. I worked there for 5 years and I have vacationed there for 20 years prior.

That makes no sense to me....what is your point?
Just curious....have you ever taken an infant to Disney? I have, and know lots of others (personally and on this forum) who have, and it was not frustrating in the least. In fact, it was a breeze! Disney has got to be one of the most baby/toddler friendly places ever. We would NEVER do other amusement parks with a baby. But Disney is a different story. And to repeat what I said in a previous post, I have seen TONS of miserable people at Disney with kids of ALL ages, or no kids at all....my bet is they did zero planning and had unrealistic expectations.

That makes no sense to me....what is your point?
Just curious....have you ever taken an infant to Disney? I have, and know lots of others (personally and on this forum) who have, and it was not frustrating in the least. In fact, it was a breeze! Disney has got to be one of the most baby/toddler friendly places ever. We would NEVER do other amusement parks with a baby. But Disney is a different story. And to repeat what I said in a previous post, I have seen TONS of miserable people at Disney with kids of ALL ages, or no kids at all....my bet is they did zero planning and had unrealistic expectations.

Having unrealistic expectations is a common faux pas exhibited by many Disney Tourists. Unfortunately, many (not all, by no means) cast members do not exhibit the personalis that was made standard by Walt himself. When I worked there, I made an effort to revive that philosophy. Therefore, Disney has found themselves in a catch 22 - They advertise to be perfect, but are far from it. People who work at Disney are human, and they have their bad days.

I would encourage one to bring an infant to Disney long before any other theme park - that is a fact. And, yes I have taken an infant to the parks.

You make another good point, and allow me to reword it - teenagers can be worse than infants.

Either which way, the purpose of my original post was to give some people a chuckle (and I'm sure it has.) Whenever I go to Disney, I always try to have fun.

I thought I could go to a Disney World Forum and have as much there as I do in the parks.

Looks like I was wrong.

hansel1

Okay... so I've been to WDW many times, with my family was younger, and then just my husband and me, and I always thought about that first time when I'd go there with my own child-- and now it's happening!! My husband and I will be bringing our infant son-- who will be seven months at the time-- to WDW this October. We plan to stay at the Boardwalk, and will be at WDW during the Food and Wine Festival.

I would love to get tips from any of you who have been to WDW with an infant. This will obviously be a very different way of doing WDW for us. Feel free to pass along any tips. Some preliminary questions I have are:

(1) Can you bring strollers into restaurants?
(2) Is it better to bring our stroller from home, or rent one at the parks?
(3) What rides have you gone on with an infant around that age?
(4) I've never stepped a toe in Mickey's Toon Town or whatever it's called in MK. I know nothing about it. Are there rides/attractions there an infant would enjoy?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

If you wouldn't mind, would you post a trip report when you get back? My son will be around 9 months old and it would definately benefit me to hear from others on their specific trips.

betharina

just a little addition for anyone who is planning to take an infant to WDW--i would suggest a baby carrier. i am taking my 4 month old on our annual trip and that is what i am going to use most of the time--but i am also taking his carrier and stroller frame that it snaps onto.

coltow

I would love to get tips from any of you who have been to WDW with an infant. This will obviously be a very different way of doing WDW for us. Feel free to pass along any tips.
Do bring your own stroller (as long as it reclines), it really does help at the resorts and airport. Most table service places will ask you to leave it outside, but if you ask very nicely they may let you bring it in.

Bring a white towel with you (we took one from our room) to drape over the stroller for when your child is not in it. We did this to relect the sun and keep it cool. The buckles and seat will get very hot very quick. We used it too to block the sun when DS was sleeping. The sunshade on the stroller only covered his top half, so we used the towel to hang down from the sunshade to cover his legs. Also bring a rain cover for it. Every time we would leave the stroller for awhile (like to eat dinner) we'd put the towel on the seat and cover it with a poncho. Rain storms can come out of no where and I didn't want to chance it.

Unless you have a car bring all your baby supplies from home. The cost of things at the resorts was crazy. Make sure to take advantage of the baby centers in the parks as well.

I also put all diapers and changes of clothes into ziploc bags in the event that we got caught in a downpour at least I'd have dry diapers and clothes for DS.

It is a totally different experience when you have a little one with you. We used to sleep in a little bit and then spen the entire day at the parks. Now we are up at sunrise to be at the parks when they open. DH and I hardly ever would go back to resort in the afternoons, now it's a requirement.

Enjoy yourselves. Go slow. Take lots of pictures &/or video.

noname70

Did WDW w/a 7 month old. Bring your own stroller-to carry gear and to fold down so the child can sleep..Believe me, the child will sleep, even with everything going on. As for Toontown, I'd say it's more for toddlers and up. At that age my daughter LOVED Buzz and Small World. A snugli (carrier) worked well for me in some lines too.

amandagibbins

my son was less than two years old and he really loved it i know thats a bit older than your child but i also had my mother in law to take care of him while we went on the rides (it was my first time to WDW) she was a great help and we are planning atrip back again next sept with a 10 month old and ive already decided to take it easy and go on a couple of rides but generally take it easy and watch everything going on around all the things you miss while queing for rides my husband will take my now five year old on the rides.
I personally would go to Disney no matter what age my child is i dont see it as a waste of money or time life is too short to wait a few years for them to grow a bit plus my son was under two when he first went and still remembers things and his second trip was for his forth birthday which was excellent but that also means he wants to go every birthday!!:wave:

SteveVAB

Infants at WDW

As much as I hate to say it, I have to agree with Passport's post. We see parents with infants at WDW and they both look miserable. I would advise you to wait until our child is older so you can BOTH enjoy the experience.

Being realistic, if you take an infant to the park, how are you and your spouse going to enjoy any of the rides? You'll be walking around the parks wishing you could ride something or enjoy a show or, you will have to do it without one another and that's just not as fun.

Wait until the child is about five years old. If you MUST go, maybe the grandparents could tag along or watch the little tiger while you and your spouse go to WDW for a few days.

KC82271

Infant

Depends on the age of the "infant". My DD was 10 months old for our first trip last year. Had a blast at the MK but was okay at the other parks. She came home with a crush on Figment. We brought our own stroller (reclining) so she would nap in it. Like someone earlier mentioned, we had never returned to the resorts in the middle of the day previously, now with a little one I sometimes do. As for baby supplies, I had a very large suitcase of just baby supplies and it worked out well. The first trip we had myself, DH and my mom. So it was easy with 3 sets of hands. Getting through security wasn't fun with all the baby gear, but the crowds were small, so we didn't mind the time it took. This year, we went again, but DH stayed home. It was a little tougher getting through the transportation and security with only two - but we also had less to carry. We are returning in 8 weeks with 23 of us - but with a 10 month old, a 20 month old and my daughter will be 29 months old. Yes - I am nuts - but when you love WDW the way we do - you manage.

Just remember - whatever you child is feeling will be felt by you. So if they get tired and cranky - go for the nap - otherwise you will start to get cranky too.

Do it and enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom