Advice on annual pass purchases please

Joesixtoe

Original Poster
I've been looking through the passes and assuming I would go probably 15 plus times in the next year, what pass should I get? Like are there any "in the know" things I should know about? Or just pick preffered get free parking and go? Florida resident here...

Are there any discounts? What not? Thanks my fellow humans

macefamily

We live in Pennsylvania and probably visit the parks 12 - 15 times per year. It paid for us to get the annual passes. Heck, we're almost paying for one of the passes just with the parking discount.

The_Jobu

I've been looking through the passes and assuming I would go probably 15 plus times in the next year, what pass should I get? Like are there any "in the know" things I should know about? Or just pick preffered get free parking and go? Florida resident here...

Are there any discounts? What not? Thanks my fellow humans

I was thinking of getting a pass as well, particularly for the hotel discount, though I cant seem to find a way to find out exactly what the discount would be for my stay.

JoeCamel

I was thinking of getting a pass as well, particularly for the hotel discount, though I cant seem to find a way to find out exactly what the discount would be for my stay.
The discount changes, when you price the stay put "APH" in the promotions field and if there is a rate available it will be applied.

The_Jobu

Yes it is if you are flexible. The Portofino is top notch and I got a rate of $180 a night a couple of years ago. If the hotel isn't booked they go after the AP's to fill the rooms. It's just you don't get good rates a year in advance, best rates are months in advance. My $180 nights were over Thanksgiving which surprised me. Never expected to get that kind of a rate over a holiday.

Wow that's a fantastic rate! Would love to stay at Portofino but the rates for April aren't anywhere close to that unfortunately.

The_Jobu

Spring time in Orlando is busy, especially if the winter gets nasty.

Yah I’m finding that out. Late April into early May is the best time for me to go this year. Low crowd calendars but not much for hotel discounts. Might just stay at Endless Summer and visit Sapphire Falls for drinks one night:)

The_Jobu

Yes it is if you are flexible. The Portofino is top notch and I got a rate of $180 a night a couple of years ago. If the hotel isn't booked they go after the AP's to fill the rooms. It's just you don't get good rates a year in advance, best rates are months in advance. My $180 nights were over Thanksgiving which surprised me. Never expected to get that kind of a rate over a holiday.

Found a suite at Cabana Bay for less than $200 a night, so I think I might end up going with that. I'll keep checking though in case there's any last minute price drops on Portofino.

The_Jobu

The thing with the Portofino is you get express passes with your room. In my case that's 4 express passes so it's pretty much worth it to me if the price is under $300 a night.

That makes sense. Couldn't find a rate under 300 for my dates in May though. Thinking Cabana suite or Endless Summer suite. Anyone been to either?

JoeCamel

That makes sense. Couldn't find a rate under 300 for my dates in May though. Thinking Cabana suite or Endless Summer suite. Anyone been to either?
I like the CBBR suites, I would get one when I wanted a quiet room as they seem to have better doors and walls than the towers. I'm hooked on volcano view now even if it is a hike up to the lobby/bus.
They sleep 6 if you are all family or three/four if you want to have a little room for yourselves. There is a kitchenette so if you want you can prepare food.
sink outside the toilet area and a door to close off the bedroom from the living/kitchen area.

lebeau

Portofino Bay is our favorite hotel in Orlando. For us, it's worth the extra. However, Cabana Bay is a lot of fun. The one time we stayed there, our room was fairly remote. That was the one downside in our experience. The theme is great if you like kitsch, the pool is excellent, Volcano Bay is within walking distance, the food court was decent and the buses were always ready when we wanted one. Seriously, never had to wait for a bus. Not even a minute. Try that at the other place!

Rob562

How many in your group? We've stayed in family suites at both, and for us it depends on the makeup of the party and how many beds you need.

We had booked a standard room at Surfside, but got a free upgrade to a family suite. While the extra space was nice, it was just the two of us so the separate bedroom and three beds total was massive overkill. If I were to get extra space, I'd prefer having the living room of the Cabana family suites.

But if you have a larger group and the third bed would be preferable over someone using the pullout sofa at Cabana, that might be better for you.

-Rob

The_Jobu

I like the CBBR suites, I would get one when I wanted a quiet room as they seem to have better doors and walls than the towers. I'm hooked on volcano view now even if it is a hike up to the lobby/bus.
They sleep 6 if you are all family or three/four if you want to have a little room for yourselves. There is a kitchenette so if you want you can prepare food.
sink outside the toilet area and a door to close off the bedroom from the living/kitchen area.
Portofino Bay is our favorite hotel in Orlando. For us, it's worth the extra. However, Cabana Bay is a lot of fun. The one time we stayed there, our room was fairly remote. That was the one downside in our experience. The theme is great if you like kitsch, the pool is excellent, Volcano Bay is within walking distance, the food court was decent and the buses were always ready when we wanted one. Seriously, never had to wait for a bus. Not even a minute. Try that at the other place!
How many in your group? We've stayed in family suites at both, and for us it depends on the makeup of the party and how many beds you need.

We had booked a standard room at Surfside, but got a free upgrade to a family suite. While the extra space was nice, it was just the two of us so the separate bedroom and three beds total was massive overkill. If I were to get extra space, I'd prefer having the living room of the Cabana family suites.

But if you have a larger group and the third bed would be preferable over someone using the pullout sofa at Cabana, that might be better for you.

-Rob

Thanks for the tips!

I ended up going with the CB suite for our group of 4. Booked it at the annual passholder price which wasn't too bad. To us the big plus was the more reliable bussing, and that it's across the street from our favourite Orlando hotel, Sapphire Falls (though we've never been to Portofino yet, heh). Figured some nights we could just cross the street and eat at Sapphire Falls. Starting to get really excited for the upcoming trip, CB looks fun.

lebeau

Thanks for the tips!

I ended up going with the CB suite for our group of 4. Booked it at the annual passholder price which wasn't too bad. To us the big plus was the more reliable bussing, and that it's across the street from our favourite Orlando hotel, Sapphire Falls (though we've never been to Portofino yet, heh). Figured some nights we could just cross the street and eat at Sapphire Falls. Starting to get really excited for the upcoming trip, CB looks fun.

You will enjoy it. It's got its own charm. You really feel like you stepped into an old sitcom. The dedication to theme is impressive despite the modern conveniences. It's kind of like living at the 50's Prime Time Cafe. Lot's of great touches. We really enjoyed our stay. If only the offered Express Pass... But for the price, it's terrific.

My kids really enjoyed the lazy river (bring your own float if you don't want to buy one from Universal). I recall a lifeguard was constantly singing old doo-whop songs and when we would drift by he would try to get us to sing along. Probably not what he was supposed to be doing, but it was a lot of fun. The other side had a water slide we never got around to trying.

There's all kinds of fun stuff to do there including fire pits and the bowling alley. You could really hang out there without even going to the parks. But like I said, our experience with park transportation was great. We walked up and saw no less than three buses in a row waiting for us instead of waiting 20-40 minutes like we were used to. Haven't been back to the other place since.

The_Jobu

You will enjoy it. It's got its own charm. You really feel like you stepped into an old sitcom. The dedication to theme is impressive despite the modern conveniences. It's kind of like living at the 50's Prime Time Cafe. Lot's of great touches. We really enjoyed our stay. If only the offered Express Pass... But for the price, it's terrific.

My kids really enjoyed the lazy river (bring your own float if you don't want to buy one from Universal). I recall a lifeguard was constantly singing old doo-whop songs and when we would drift by he would try to get us to sing along. Probably not what he was supposed to be doing, but it was a lot of fun. The other side had a water slide we never got around to trying.

There's all kinds of fun stuff to do there including fire pits and the bowling alley. You could really hang out there without even going to the parks. But like I said, our experience with park transportation was great. We walked up and saw no less than three buses in a row waiting for us instead of waiting 20-40 minutes like we were used to. Haven't been back to the other place since.

Fingers crossed for the signing lifeguard! We're not usually a pool family but the lazy river sounds like fun. Glad there's other things to do to pass the time, we like having resort days away from the parks.

Disneyhead'71

Fingers crossed for the signing lifeguard! We're not usually a pool family but the lazy river sounds like fun. Glad there's other things to do to pass the time, we like having resort days away from the parks.
The bowling alley is themed to the bowling alley in The Big Lobowski. And it has it's own restaurant. The Bratwurst Hogie is delicious.

Disneyhead'71

Seriously? I love that movie! Plus I think the annual pass comes with 10% off food at the alley. There's one evening planned.
Yep. Here is the bowling alley in The Big Lobowski.

2304082126_74807b2ec2.jpg

Here is Galaxy Bowl at Cabana Bay.

large.jpg

The_Jobu

I noticed that Universal isn't offering passholder rates for rooms in Sept 2021. Is that permanent or just because they dont know what will be happening by then?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom