Advice for UK Visitors (Don't wear tops at Disney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLive4theMagic

I don't know who you are, but welcome to the braintrust.

*hugs*

FRIEND!

mkt, I've just read every single one of your posts in this thread, and I do have to say that you are my new God, lol. I am just kidding, but I agree with you 100%. Next time I wear a shirt to Disney, I will just take it off and run around naked.:hammer:Then we will see if a shirt is such a big deal after all. By the way, thanks for letting me in the braintrust.:sohappy:

RogueHabit

One thing that makes me laugh, though I understand the Disney policy.

Americans here seem to think the is just some small brand, trying to get shock value. This IS NOT the case. are massive and are sold in hundreds of major shopping chains across the country.

French Connection are a massive brand and is just a part of their group.

PintoColvig

As a rule, I usually stay aways from these threads, but I have to object... if my child would ask what meant I would tell them the truth: French Connection U.K.... is that so hard? Does that conversation really at all lead back to the F-bomb? If the child relates it to the F-bomb, then most likely it's something they have heard or been exposed to before... I have personally seen many many offensive shirts while on vacation at WDW, but I believe in freedom of speech and expression... WDW has the right to make ppl change, it is private property, but as a guest and citizen none of us have the right or should have the right to judge other's choices about personal expression... flame me- I don't care...
I'm confused by your post. Do you or do you not believe in freedom of speech/freedom of expression? On the one hand, you seem to be offended by the limitation of free speech. On the other, you seem to want to limit free speech if that free speech expresses an opinion about the free expression of others. So which is it? The consistent one (the first one) or the inconsistent one (the second)?

(Sorry to bring up this quote from a couple of days ago. Just read through the entire thread and the double-standard mentality was killing me.)

EDIT: I might add, until I read this thread I had no idea that stood for "French Connection United Kingdom". Silly me. I thought someone was trying to get away with a profanity by intentionally misspelling the word.

iLive4theMagic

One thing that makes me laugh, though I understand the Disney policy.

Americans here seem to think the is just some small brand, trying to get shock value. This IS NOT the case. are massive and are sold in hundreds of major shopping chains across the country.

I wish I lived in Europe with all of the ingenious non-puritans...... :lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun

PhotoDave219

CMs also are inconsistent about enforcing the policy against roller skate shoes on WDW property. I saw a teenage boy skate right into a woman at an AK gift shop.

I accidently creamed a teenager on heelies once. (Like a year and a half ago) He came flying down the ramp in front of the huge throng of people, i crowded against the fence, watched the kid go out of control and headed right for me. I braced for the hit and he bounced off the other way a good 5 feet. His dad yelled at him too.

DisneyChik17

I accidently creamed a teenager on heelies once. (Like a year and a half ago) He came flying down the ramp in front of the huge throng of people, i crowded against the fence, watched the kid go out of control and headed right for me. I braced for the hit and he bounced off the other way a good 5 feet. His dad yelled at him too.

That just made my day. I have been buzzed by kids in Heelys so many times and the parents just glare at me. It's just annoying that they don't properly enforce that rule. Even if just for the safety of civilians.

sprocketfish

I'm confused by your post. Do you or do you not believe in freedom of speech/freedom of expression? On the one hand, you seem to be offended by the limitation of free speech. On the other, you seem to want to limit free speech if that free speech expresses an opinion about the free expression of others. So which is it? The consistent one (the first one) or the inconsistent one (the second)?

(Sorry to bring up this quote from a couple of days ago. Just read through the entire thread and the double-standard mentality was killing me.)

EDIT: I might add, until I read this thread I had no idea that stood for "French Connection United Kingdom". Silly me. I thought someone was trying to get away with a profanity by intentionally misspelling the word.

I totally support free speech and expression. In that last sentence in that post I was pointing out that on Disney's private property Disney does have a right to censor (thought I disagree with censorship of this particular brand) guests attire, BUT I don't think individuals have any right to judge or censor others... I'm not trying to complicate the issue, but I tend to be verbose... in the case of the shirts, I don't at all agree with Disney's policy, but it's their policy and their property and guests should do their best to respect that... I'm sorry, I can see how one might see my perspective as a double standard; I've tried to articulate my opinion as clearly as possibly....

PintoColvig

I totally support free speech and expression. In that last sentence in that post I was pointing out that on Disney's private property Disney does have a right to censor (thought I disagree with censorship of this particular brand) guests attire, BUT I don't think individuals have any right to judge or censor others... I'm not trying to complicate the issue, but I tend to be verbose... in the case of the shirts, I don't at all agree with Disney's policy, but it's their policy and their property and guests should do their best to respect that... I'm sorry, I can see how one might see my perspective as a double standard; I've tried to articulate my opinion as clearly as possibly....
Are you equating judging with censoring? Disney is censoring the free speech of those wearing the shirts and that is their prerogative. I am judging when I say that those shirts are inappropriate for a Disney park and that is my prerogative. Those are two different things. Expressing an opinion on something someone else is saying or wearing is not censorship. To say that I cannot make an evaluative statement (ie, "judge") about another's opinion is an infringement of my freedom of speech. Now that would be censorship.

sprocketfish

Are you equating judging with censoring? Disney is censoring the free speech of those wearing the shirts and that is their prerogative. I am judging when I say that those shirts are inappropriate for a Disney park and that is my prerogative. Those are two different things. Expressing an opinion on something someone else is saying or wearing is not censorship. To say that I cannot make an evaluative statement (ie, "judge") about another's opinion is an infringement of my freedom of speech. Now that would be censorship.
I understand your point; in using the word "judging" I'm responding to individuals discriminating againist others because of their manner of dress... in this forum, it has been indicated that some individuals wouldn't mind taking the situation into their own hands- this would be censorship- this is what I'm opposed to... I am not saying that others are not entitled to their opinion- that would mean I'm not entitled to my opinion and I'm not preventing anyone from voicing their opinion (i.e. censorship)... This is purely an intellectual exercise; I think now were are wrestling over semantics (and I'm a scientist not a linguist nor a lawyer...:lol:)

PintoColvig

I understand your point; in using the word "judging" I'm responding to individuals discriminating againist others because of their manner of dress... in this forum, it has been indicated that some individuals wouldn't mind taking the situation into their own hands- this would be censorship- this is what I'm opposed to... I am not saying that others are not entitled to their opinion- that would mean I'm not entitled to my opinion and I'm not preventing anyone from voicing their opinion (i.e. censorship)... This is purely an intellectual exercise; I think now were are wrestling over semantics (and I'm a scientist not a linguist nor a lawyer...:lol:)
Ah, I think we just found ourselves on the same page. :wave:

J_Krafty24

Being an American I had no idea this brand even existed until now. If I were to have seen someone wear one of these shirts I would assume that it was from a small company created to put out clothes with shock value. I as well as many other of the American on this site now understand that this is a big chain. The fact still remains that most Americans have never heard of this company and would have that opinion.

I understand how those of you from the UK who wear this brand regularly would get upset for having to change a shirt that you think is perfectly acceptable. If Disney World were in the UK we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation. Visitors to America are expected to follow the rules here just as visitors to UK are expected to follow your rules and customs (although I know many do not and I find that sad).

Think of it this way. In many countries shorts and t-shirts are perfectly acceptable for women to wear however some countries have "dress codes" that require women to cover most skin and their hair. If a woman from a more liberal country were to visit she would be expected to dress appropratly for that culture. The clothing in America is a similar though less drastic example.

Timmay

True. Disney CM's are about as consistent as the TSA.

For someone that proclaims to want to avoid political discussions, you sure find plenty of opportunity to make your political views known...:rolleyes:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
For someone that proclaims to want to avoid political discussions, you sure find plenty of opportunity to make your political views known...:rolleyes:
I'm extremely left wing. My turn-ons include my civil rights, using my civil rights, consistency in policies, Bruce Schneier, common sense, and long walks on the beach.

My turn-offs include fake wars on terror, security theatre, Kip Hawley, Nazi Germany, the scenario presented in 1984, and smokers.

I hope I can be your friend :)

cmatt

I'm extremely left wing. My turn-ons include my civil rights, using my civil rights, consistency in policies, Bruce Schneier, common sense, and long walks on the beach.

My turn-offs include fake wars on terror, security theatre, Kip Hawley, Nazi Germany, the scenario presented in 1984, and smokers.

:lol:

duck_daddy

Seeing as I was born in 1984 and I smoke, I just don't know if our relationship would be healthy~!:lol:

duck_daddy

I take it you and Rusch Limbaugh are good friends then?:ROFLOL:

mkt

Premium Member
My other turn ons include anyone with half a brain and cute puppies.

My additional turn offs include Puggles, Cats, the Department of Homeland Security, and Halitosis.

mkt

Premium Member
Seeing as I was born in 1984 and I smoke, I just don't know if our relationship would be healthy~!:lol:
I was born in 81 and I drink.

Like a fish.

Like a fish about to drown :lookaroun

But I don't drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom