Advice for renting DVC?

KiKiDisney

Original Poster
Hi Everyone!
As the title states, I am looking for advice for our next trip. We aren't going until end of August/beginning of September 2019 (most likely August 30, 2019 September 9, but may go as long as Sept. 13). Judging from what I have read, we would be best to do this from the 11 month mark which would be this September/October of this year, is that right? We've always stayed at AoA before but since the kinder are getting bigger, we really need more room. It's the four of us - 2 kids, 2 adults. We would like a 2 bedroom. My husband has his heart set on a lake view room at BLT, but I have heard that hose villas are expensive and not easy to come by. I am trying to figure out how much this would cost. I have rented timeshares before, but just for flat rates and never had to do the $$/pp thing. I am confused by it because I don't really know anything about the point system. I imagine there are times when DVC villas are worth/cost more points? Do I have to do the rental transaction 11 months out or can we wait a bit?How much should I budget for the villa? Should I rent directly from an owner? Disney? Online (Davids, DVC Rental Store)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:happy:

EOD K9

@KiKiDisney There will be a lot more people here who can give you greater info than I can. However, that said..... First, I would try to rent at 11 months out. If you know when and where you want to stay, the earlier the better.
I rent my points out here and there, but I don’t have as many as you are looking for. Upside of a direct rental, is usually it will cost less than going through David’s. Downside, is that you are dealing with an individual and not a licensed business. Reverse both when dealing with me or David’s.

Rooms cost points. I’m going to make up numbers for this. So, a studio at Baylake would cost 18 points a night let’s say. David’s may say, we charge 15 dollars per point and it will cost you $270. I may say pay me $11 per point and you pay me $198.

You can look up DVC points charts online for each resort and price it from there. Good luck and I hope that helps.

KiKiDisney

Original Poster
@KiKiDisney There will be a lot more people here who can give you greater info than I can. However, that said..... First, I would try to rent at 11 months out. If you know when and where you want to stay, the earlier the better.
I rent my points out here and there, but I don’t have as many as you are looking for. Upside of a direct rental, is usually it will cost less than going through David’s. Downside, is that you are dealing with an individual and not a licensed business. Reverse both when dealing with me or David’s.

Rooms cost points. I’m going to make up numbers for this. So, a studio at Baylake would cost 18 points a night let’s say. David’s may say, we charge 15 dollars per point and it will cost you $270. I may say pay me $11 per point and you pay me $198.

You can look up DVC points charts online for each resort and price it from there. Good luck and I hope that helps.
Thank you, that really does help! :)

correcaminos

Hi Everyone!
As the title states, I am looking for advice for our next trip. We aren't going until end of August/beginning of September 2019 (most likely August 30, 2019 September 9, but may go as long as Sept. 13). Judging from what I have read, we would be best to do this from the 11 month mark which would be this September/October of this year, is that right? We've always stayed at AoA before but since the kinder are getting bigger, we really need more room. It's the four of us - 2 kids, 2 adults. We would like a 2 bedroom. My husband has his heart set on a lake view room at BLT, but I have heard that hose villas are expensive and not easy to come by. I am trying to figure out how much this would cost. I have rented timeshares before, but just for flat rates and never had to do the $$/pp thing. I am confused by it because I don't really know anything about the point system. I imagine there are times when DVC villas are worth/cost more points? Do I have to do the rental transaction 11 months out or can we wait a bit?How much should I budget for the villa? Should I rent directly from an owner? Disney? Online (Davids, DVC Rental Store)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:happy:

Lake View Villas at BLT are the easiest to come by, by comparison. First to go will be the standard (cheapest points) and most of the time Theme Park goes faster even though it's higher points. 2 bedroom dedicated will go after studios and 2 bedroom lock offs and while that is creeping into the F&WF (using this year's dates) it should be a wee bit easier than the rest of F&WF.

You will want to have it set to book before the 11 month mark just to be safe. So if you are going, let's say August 25th, you'll be wanting someone to book for you September 25th. They can book up to 7 nights at that time for you.

The point system is kind of complex. David's DVC rental has a calculator for you that shows their cost as well as point per night. Sunday through Thursday nights are cheaper than Friday & Saturday.

You have a choice of going to a place like mouseowners.com and specifically ask to see if you can get someone to book this for you prior (I'd start a few weeks early), or just go to a broker like David's. Renting from Disney will actually be a CRO room rate, and honestly in 2 bedrooms the deals aren't enough to really try IMO. I'd stick to either doing it directly from an owner, or from a broker type to be safe.

KiKiDisney

Original Poster
Lake View Villas at BLT are the easiest to come by, by comparison. First to go will be the standard (cheapest points) and most of the time Theme Park goes faster even though it's higher points. 2 bedroom dedicated will go after studios and 2 bedroom lock offs and while that is creeping into the F&WF (using this year's dates) it should be a wee bit easier than the rest of F&WF.

You will want to have it set to book before the 11 month mark just to be safe. So if you are going, let's say August 25th, you'll be wanting someone to book for you September 25th. They can book up to 7 nights at that time for you.

The point system is kind of complex. David's DVC rental has a calculator for you that shows their cost as well as point per night. Sunday through Thursday nights are cheaper than Friday & Saturday.

You have a choice of going to a place like mouseowners.com and specifically ask to see if you can get someone to book this for you prior (I'd start a few weeks early), or just go to a broker like David's. Renting from Disney will actually be a CRO room rate, and honestly in 2 bedrooms the deals aren't enough to really try IMO. I'd stick to either doing it directly from an owner, or from a broker type to be safe.
Thanks - I am glad to hear that the point system is a bit complex and it's not just my foggy old brain!:)

slappy magoo

Thanks - I am glad to hear that the point system is a bit complex and it's not just my foggy old brain!:)
Its complex on purpose, it affords DVC "wiggle room" to adjust points totals for different rooms or views or times of the year. Example- if early December continues to be as popular as it's been, they might raise points for that time frame a bit and deduct points from Peak seasons. If 1 br units stop booking as much, they can lower those but add to studios and 2 br units. They cant just raise points across the boards but they can add here and subtract there - as long as changes balance out in each individual resort.

correcaminos

Yeah they don't make it easy, especially for new people. Those of us who have owned for a long time, it just starts to feel easier. Though many are still quite confused. If you don't watch how the resorts book (I do for fun LOL) you an also make assumptions that aren't always correct too.

Its complex on purpose, it affords DVC "wiggle room" to adjust points totals for different rooms or views or times of the year. Example- if early December continues to be as popular as it's been, they might raise points for that time frame a bit and deduct points from Peak seasons. If 1 br units stop booking as much, they can lower those but add to studios and 2 br units. They cant just raise points across the boards but they can add here and subtract there - as long as changes balance out in each individual resort.

While they can do this, they do not do this that often. The changes they have made have been more minor. Biggest one ever was the weekday/weekend shift. Otherwise it's been more of a view getting changed/added and others going up or down as well within the same resort. It would be rare to see a huge overhaul of all resorts like they did in 2011/12 with the shift in weekends or making all room types shift up or down across the board.

slappy magoo

While they can do this, they do not do this that often. The changes they have made have been more minor. Biggest one ever was the weekday/weekend shift. Otherwise it's been more of a view getting changed/added and others going up or down as well within the same resort. It would be rare to see a huge overhaul of all resorts like they did in 2011/12 with the shift in weekends or making all room types shift up or down across the board.

Sure, I'm not saying they're planning to drastically overhaul the points structure, only that they have it said up in a way that they could. But really, any overhaul (IN THEORY) benefits the members as much of the organization. Sure it stinks if the time you usually go to WDW suddenly results in more points being used, but that means for some other member, they might not need as many points, or maybe at some point 1BR villas won't be twice or nearly twice the points value of a studio despite the fact that they don't have twice the capacity.*

*that probably will never change, I think a lot of DVC members, being families, prefer the 1BR units to give mom and dad privacy from the kids, making these units popular enough to warrant the drastic increase in the points value, even though if you book the room direct from Disney, a 1BR is never twice the cash cost of a studio.

To the OP - as confusing as the points structure can be, there are plenty of charts on the internet that will tell you exactly the points you'd need for any given time. In fact, the cost calculator I wrote about earlier at David's DVC Rentals? There's a toggle switch up top that will change what you see from what it'll cost you to how many actual points your trip would take, removing all guess work.

KiKiDisney

Original Poster
I can see that as with many things Disney, it may seem somewhat confusing/overwhelming/daunting in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, it does smooth itself out. Thank goodness for people taking the time to help out a newb. I tip my hat to you! Thanks y'all - I certainly am glad I signed up here!:happy:

correcaminos

Sure, I'm not saying they're planning to drastically overhaul the points structure, only that they have it said up in a way that they could. But really, any overhaul (IN THEORY) benefits the members as much of the organization. Sure it stinks if the time you usually go to WDW suddenly results in more points being used, but that means for some other member, they might not need as many points, or maybe at some point 1BR villas won't be twice or nearly twice the points value of a studio despite the fact that they don't have twice the capacity.*

*that probably will never change, I think a lot of DVC members, being families, prefer the 1BR units to give mom and dad privacy from the kids, making these units popular enough to warrant the drastic increase in the points value, even though if you book the room direct from Disney, a 1BR is never twice the cash cost of a studio.

To the OP - as confusing as the points structure can be, there are plenty of charts on the internet that will tell you exactly the points you'd need for any given time. In fact, the cost calculator I wrote about earlier at David's DVC Rentals? There's a toggle switch up top that will change what you see from what it'll cost you to how many actual points your trip would take, removing all guess work.

Sorry I wasn't necessarily directing that just at you either. Just more of how rare it is that that they have done it in general. They could wipe out the whole system and start fresh as long as the numbers add up in the end. Kind of why I tell buyers to never buy just what you think you need. It can change.

I do like even using David's DVC for quick check of points. Easier than logging in sometimes and I can see all resorts at the same time with the numbers for each room type :)

NRL2003

I’m going the same time as you and have already been in touch regarding my first choice (BCV) and 2nd choice (BWV). My dates are 8/29-9/7. First trip back in 3 years

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom