Advice for booking flights?

RachMac

I'm heading to WDW for the first time in August 2017 with my boyfriend, I know most airlines don't plan flights more than a year in advance so I'm quite limited at the moment but I just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding this?
Are there certain airlines which are better/cheaper than others?
Also I was wondering whether or not to leave them until much nearer the time in hopes of getting them at a reduced price or if I'm better just booking them as soon as they become available?

Thank you!

DisneyJoe

The earliest any airline will post schedules will be 330 days in advance.

Much depends on your closest airports and what airlines fly from those airports.

Low cost airlines will post their schedules a bit later.

You can use sites such as Orbitz or Kayak to do comparative pricing. I am sure others will have some tips and tricks!

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

It depends on the airline. Some like Southwest will just go up as it gets closer, unless there happens to be a sale that applies to your tickets.
But the odds of getting a "reduced price" are pretty slim. There is a time point, usually about 3-4 weeks out where prices will start to go up across the board. That way the airlines get more money from last minute business travelers who will pay whatever (within reason). Most vacations are planned out in advance, with business trips being last minute.

Better/cheaper is a matter of preference. Spirit can be pretty cheap, but you have to pay for everything. You pay to print your ticket at home, you pay more to print it at the airport. You can bring a purse/backpack with you for free, but need to pay for carry on, checked luggage, snack, etc. So if you will ship everything or wear just the one outfit your whole trip (please don't do this) it can be cheap. But when you add up fees, its costs just as much as other airlines. Southwest is usually a good middle of the road option, still competitive prices, but usually really good service. Jet Blue usually falls in that same class. The legacy carriers, United et al tend to cost more, and offer less. As @DisneyJoe said, check out the airline search engines.

Kayak will often show you a chart of their confidence level of how prices will trend, helps you to guess if prices will shift or not. Skycanner will show you a tool to see the prices to travel the whole month. That helps you to see if it's cheaper to shift your plans by a day or two. www.google.com/flights lets you see/book separate tickets which may be vastly cheaper, but also risk you being stuck if you have a delay.

Start playing around now to get an idea of options and how the search tools work to see what you like best. No one tool is perfect, some will find random results that others won't, and other have great features that really help.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

It depends on where you live -- but you are wise to start thinking about it now.

My advice is to familiarize yourself with the low-budget carriers in your local area (as well as their policies for pricing, booking, cancellations, what happens if the rate goes down after you book, when new schedules are released, baggage size limits and checked baggage costs, etc.).

We have access to both JetBlue and Southwest, who have the most competitive rates in our area (upstate NY) from 2 different airports within an hour's distance of our house. We've flown both, although JetBlue is by far the favorite as I now have a JetBlue MasterCard (formerly a JetBlue AmEx) which earns me points every month for every dollar I spend -- it adds up to enough for a free roundtrip flight to Orlando about every 6-8 months! (But for that, we'd prefer SW, which still offers free checked bags -- JetBlue no longer does.) We also book the moment the schedule comes out for our dates, because unlike some airlines, JetBlue tends to release the cheapest fares first, and the cost only goes up as the travel date gets closer. YMMV. You may want to look into the rewards programs for the airlines out of your local area, as well, and see if you can earn enough points between now and your booking to fly for free. (Often, you'll get the equivalent of points for one free roundtrip flight, just for signing up...) Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BOOMitsGeorgia

I see you're from the UK, I am going in September 2017 and obviously haven't booked my flights yet but what I am doing is waiting until January for the sale. Virgin atlantic and British airways both do sales then! Should hopefully be able to get them for £400-£500 each return.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

We've flown Spirit (out of Atlantic City) and Southwest (out of Philly) in the last year and I recommend Southwest. There are no hidden fees in their prices. Plus southwest offers 2 checked bags already included in their prices. I would like to add though that if there were cheaper flights with another airline (including bags) then I wouldn't think twice about taking the other flight option. Where you flying from??

Upvote 0

UncleFastpass

Don't know what carriers are in your area but I will put in aplug for Southwest.With SW you know what you are getting the price is the price they show you, first bag free. I unfortunately had to cancel a flight to Orlando a few years ago,fortunately I was flying SW when I went to cancel they said no problem your travel funds will be available to you for up to a year after your flight was scheduled.there were no fees what I paid for my tickets was available to me for a future flight. I rescuduled for a few months later and was actually able to find cheaper flights SO I ACTUALLY HAD A CREDIT WITH SW AFTER BOOKING! Try rescheduling with another airline there are all kinds of fees and it is a big hassle. Good luck and have a great trip!

Upvote 0

HurricaneHanna

In addition to what's already been said, I think it's a good idea to go with a carrier that schedules multiple flights per day between your home city and your destination. Book a flight time that is not the last one of the day. That way if your flight gets cancelled at the last minute you still have a chance of getting on your way the same day by being moved to one of the remaining scheduled flights.

Upvote 0

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
Plus, if you can't get a direct flight, make sure you have a decent layover, in case you initial flight gets delayed at any point. That way you're not running through the airport to get to another gate.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

A year out is too soon to buy tickets, but you can keep an eye on the various airlines and prices during the coming months. Some airlines will compete or have a "fare war" with another in a specific market or destination and drop prices for a short time. If you watch carefully, you might catch the fares dropping and save $$. But, be aware that often you can't change tickets or will have to pay quite a bit. Good news is that Orlando is a popular and busy destination with good competition.

If you use Kayak or Orbitz, etc, you should also check the airlines' websites, too, since we've found it is often cheaper to get our tickets via the airline website.

Upvote 0

Rachel S1321

We booked our flight with SW in February for our September vacation. To and from NH cost us 1055 for a family of 4 roundtrip and its non stop. My advice is to check regularly and often. Be ready to buy when you feel it will be the most affordable for you. Happy planning!!

Upvote 0

Ghostdog

We booked our flight with SW in February for our September vacation. To and from NH cost us 1055 for a family of 4 roundtrip and its non stop. My advice is to check regularly and often. Be ready to buy when you feel it will be the most affordable for you. Happy planning!!

We too booked early with SW, I believe it was April, for our upcoming August trip. Unfortunately it seems as though SW no longer flies direct from MI at either airport. I can't complain though, we only have an hour layover and the total for the 4 of us was only $736. I checked the other day just out of curiosity and the same flight now is astronomically higher. My rule of thumb is book flights early because they only go up in price.

Upvote 0

HurricaneHanna

We too booked early with SW, I believe it was April, for our upcoming August trip. Unfortunately it seems as though SW no longer flies direct from MI at either airport. I can't complain though, we only have an hour layover and the total for the 4 of us was only $736. I checked the other day just out of curiosity and the same flight now is astronomically higher. My rule of thumb is book flights early because they only go up in price.
I agree that the best prices generally come from booking early but I caution against booking until you're very sure that you'll be taking the trip. The lowest fares are usually non refundable.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

We booked Southwest 2 weeks out for a trip we took this past May and a couple days after booking the prices went down and I called SW and they refunded me the $150 --- note that I didn't get cash back, but rather a credit that we have to use within a year of the flight.... Trying to figure out where to go by May now!!! Haha... Our next Disney trip is August 2017.

Upvote 0

HurricaneHanna

We booked Southwest 2 weeks out for a trip we took this past May and a couple days after booking the prices went down and I called SW and they refunded me the $150 --- note that I didn't get cash back, but rather a credit that we have to use within a year of the flight.... Trying to figure out where to go by May now!!! Haha... Our next Disney trip is August 2017.
Wow! I had no idea that was possible. I fly often so from now on I'm going to keep an eye on the fares after I book. As a matter of fact I have some booked right now that I better go check on :) Thanks for mentioning.

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All personal opinion - I'm not right, you aren't wrong....

FLIGHTS, in particular, are a great case for Trip Insurance. Or at least FLIGHT Insurance. Please consider, whoever you book with, GETTING this. There are more excuses for "we can't fly", "your bags are in France", "we have a strike".... please, cover all this.

Disney's Trip Insurgence is actually pretty good - its a "we pay first" policy (avoiding the "who pays" fights). This comes via TRAVELEX - and we've used TRAVELEX for NON Disney trips. They appear to be very good.

Again - All personal opinion - I'm not right, you aren't wrong....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom