Advice for a Disney First-Timer

crescent_moon

Original Poster
My fiance and I are going to Disney in June to celebrate our engagement... neither have been, though I've been to the one in Paris. We're young, have no kids, but are really excited to go.

We've just started planning... so i'm wondering if anyone has any booking suggestions ... good hotels/resorts, good places to find packaged deals, how long to go for, etc.

I've seen some on Orbitz for 3 nights starting from $676... but i've never been, so i don't know what would be considered a good deal.

thanks in advance.

actorsource

My suggestion would be to stay in the All Star Resorts..or any of the value resorts. Reason being..the perks you will receive from being a guest at the resort. Why go spend $300 a night on a hotel room when all you do is sleep in there?

When it comes to eating at the parks...i suggest eating at one of the more expensive hotels. For example..the Contempory Resort. The higher priced hotels generally have cheaper food & the cheaper hotels generally have more expensive food.

Your best bet with a package deal is to just get your hotel reservations & tickets directly from Disney.

MouseRight

The latest issue of The Disney Magazine (The one with the Home On The Range cow on the cover) has a good article on how to plan for a WDW trip. Obviously it is slanted to using the WDW Guest Services department but it gives you a timeline for things like getting Priority Seating for special Dinners, etc. Pick it up at your local newsstand.

lukacseven

My first and most important suggestion is to stay on Disney property. There are several hotel options, depending on what you had in mind. If you planned on putting in 8-10 hour days at the parks, then an All-Star Resort is great. If you thought of using the resort pool, boating, biking, then a moderate resort would be the way to go. Sounds to me like since you've never been there, you would want to maximize you time at the parks. I'd plan on at least one day per park and you can take advantage of extra Magic Hour (early park entry) or eRides Nights. I can suggest some specifics and would be glad to help. I've been on alot of trip with my girlfriend and other adults and could get better into to detail.

Main Street USA

My advice to everyone, even veterans, is to go to:

www.mousesavers.com

It's an extensive, but not to overwhelming website that gives you incredible advice and even discount codes that allow you to save a bundle on Resorts.

As far as which resort to stay at, I would say to go the All-Star route as well, especially for your first year. THEN, take a day while your there to tour the resorts. Not only is this a lot of fun, it will let you make your own personalized, educated decision for your next trip. AND, it will help a newbie like you get comfortanle with the size of WDW as a whole. :)

EmeraldDolphin

I would definitely agree that if you're going to spend any time at the resort using the pool or going boating or biking, then you really need to stay at one of the moderate resorts. I really enjoy Caribbean Beach... for boating, biking & swimming... Coronado has a great water slide...
Pleasure Island is a must do, also.
Also, a nice character breakfast that we enjoy (no little kids in our family anymore) is at Ohana's. The Poly is a beautiful resort, and romantic... if you don't mind paying more...
Have a GREAT time!!!

doctor tigger

Another great thing for newbies to check out is the Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld---it describes all of the attractions, resorts, etc, and gives advice as to how to see as much as possible in the parks. Some people find the criticisms to be a bit more negative than warranted, but people just differ on what they like about things.

Good luck and have a great trip!

figmentmom

I would definitely check with Pam at Kingdom Konsultants (she sponsors the Trip Planning forum) for package prices, options and general good advice!

I agree that your first trip to WDW should include a stay at a Disney resort. My personal preference is for Port Orleans, although we've also stayed at the Caribbean Beach and loved it. The All-Star resorts are a lot of fun, but since you'll be traveling without children, you may not appreciate the number of kids that are an inevitable part of any All-Star stay.

Have a great time!:)

iluvstitch

If you can, try to go for more than 3 nights- I think it would be way too rushed. I think a lot first-timers don't realize how much there is to do at WDW- can you go for 6 or 7 nights?

-Stephanie

bsandersjr

Magic Kingdom

· If you go to Magic Kingdom upon park opening, try to go straight to Peter Pan and get a fast pass. After you get the fast pass, check out Mickey’s Philharmagic 3D show. After the 3D show, try to ride Winnie the Pooh. After that, it should be time to return to Peter Pan.

· When you make your way over to Future World, fast pass Space Mountain, and go check out Time Keeper and Carousel of Progress. Before you return to Space Mountain, check the fast pass for the time of the next available fast pass. Fast Pass Buzz Lightyear (if there is a long line) and Transit Authority while you wait for Buzz.

· Fast Pass the Haunted Mansion. In the mean time, try to catch Pirates of the Caribbean.

· If you can, eat a late (2:00) or early (10:45-11:00) lunch in order to catch some rides while everyone else eats.

· If there is a long line at both Thunder Mountain, and Splash Mountain, Fast Pass Thunder Mountain while you wait in line at Splash Mountain. The Splash Mountain line moves a lot faster than Thunder Mountain.

· Try to catch the daytime parade. If not, get on some rides, the lines are less packed, but try not to miss the nighttime parade (Spectromagic).

· Try not to miss the fireworks show in front of the castle, but don’t get too close to the castle, you won’t be able to see. Try to get a table outside of Casey’s Corner about 45minutes before the fireworks.

EPCOT

· Fast pass Test Track, wait for Mission Space. The Test Track line moves pretty slowly.

· Try not to get in line for Spaceship Earth (the ball) if the sign indicates a wait in excess of 10 minutes.

· In Wonders of Life, try not to miss Cranium Command. It’s pretty cool.

· If you are going to ride Listen to the Land, Fast Pass it if the line is over 20 minutes. If you do get a Fast Pass for it, make your way over to the Living Seas. By the time you are done with Living Seas, it should be time for The Land. If you still have time to kill, check out Journey into Imagination.

· Honey I Shrunk the Audience plays by continuous show times all day. No choice but to wait for it.

· All of the countries in Epcot are movies except for: Mexico, Norway, and USA. At Norway, it is a boat ride with a movie afterwards, but you can exit the theater at will.

· There is a pretty cool fountain show behind the ball.

MGM STUDIOS

· Fast pass Tower of Terror, go ride Aerosmith. Or Vice Versa

· Fast Pass Star Tours and check out the Muppets 3D show.

· If you plan on seeing Indiana Jones, check out the show times. If you plan on riding the Great Movie Ride, try not to wait more than 15-20 minutes.

· Try not to miss One Man’s Dream, an exhibit and short film on Walt Disney.

· If you plan on seeing Fantasmic, which I highly recommend (one of the absolute best), get there about 45minutes to 1 hour before show time to ensure seating. But there is an alternative. Disney offers a Dinner and a Show package. Basically, you have dinner at one of three restaurants in the park, and you get priority seating for Fantasmic. If you choose to do the Dinner and a Show, I recommend eating at Hollywood and Vine. It is a buffet. The other two restaurants on the list can be pricey. If that is something that interests you, you need to make reservations upon entering the park. You can do that at a building (I can’t remember the name) directly to your left as you enter the park.

ANIMAL KINGDOM

· First thing in the morning, go ride the Safari. Try to sit on the left of the vehicle. If you enjoy the attraction, fast pass it right after you exit the ride.

· When you go to ride Dinosaur, Fast Pass it if the wait is over 15 min.

· I cannot offer too much info on the water raft ride because it is too cold for us to ride it when we go, but if the line is long, fast pass it, and walk through the Asian animal exhibit. They have some pretty cool stuff in there.

· If the times work out, you may want to Fast Pass Bug’s life, and possibly check out the Festival of the Lion King while you wait. I am not the biggest fan of live stage shows, but that one is pretty awesome.

MISCELLANEOUS

· When you go to Downtown Disney, check out Rainforest Café. You can get some pretty good stuff on sale.
:wave:

I suggest staying at one of the moderate resorts. I find those, especially Coronado Springs, worth the extra money.

To maximize the # of rides that you can go on, eat an early or late lunch. Avoid 12-1pm because that's when most people eat. Also, if you don't mind missing a parade, use that time to go on some rides. That way, while everybody else is watching a parade you can go on some rides.

Disney2002

I would advise against booking an entire trip through a travel agent or through Disney. Some how costs become inflated beyond the sum of their parts. I would suggest staying on property however. Shuttles for off property hotels are not reliable. You don't get Early Entry. You are also deprived of a great 'Disney' sense for the experience.

I was able to get the following trip for $1500 total (including all taxes) by booking separate items.

2 People
Coronado Springs 4 nights
5 day Park Hopper Plus tickets
Rountrip Airfare

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
On the Right Track

Well, you're on the right track by knowing you have to plan in advance. You will have your advice from this post, I suggest taking the time to peruse various sites suggested here and on other posts on this site, check out the Disney website, and pick up a reference guide book. With all that said, you won't be able to do everything, you don't want to try, and what you do get to do you will enjoy.

Like others here I personally suggest staying on property. You immediately "loose yourself" in the Disney environement. Don't need to worry about cars or parking. (You can use Mears as shuttle to and from the airport). Consider the Disney "Dream Maker" package, and specifically the "Silver" plan. These plans can cover everything including air travel...just look it over.

Not to sell too much Disney, but if you get their Visa card, you can get various discounts by using it.

I'm sure that over the course of your visit, you will find your own stride and certain "special" places that will become your personal traditions and preferences for future visits.

Have a great time and report back!

Danijo

If you purchase your tickets separately (i.e. you don't get them as part of a package) don't get the Ultimate Park Hopper unless you plan to take full advantage of all it has to offer.

VSONNIER

My biggest advice is with priority seating reservations. Make sure that when you make your reservations, you tell them you will be celebrating your engagement. Most of the restraunts do special things for guests celebrating special occassions. My husband and I went in June last year for our honeymoon. Every restraunt we went to did something special for us. We got wine glasses at Cinderella's castle, shared a "magic moment" at Crystal Palace with Winnie the Pooh and even got to help conduct the train at MK. The cm's really go out of their way to make your trip special if they know you are there for a special occassion.

cm1988

Top down approach

WDW hotel rooms... depending on season and available discounts... run from well under $100 to well over $300. They're all priced so you at least get what you pay for.

Since you're not a frequent guest, this trip qualifies as a really special occasion (not to mention you're getting engaged!!!). As a special occasion you might budget for a little more than if this were an annual or biennial trip.

Some of the benefits of the higher-priced resorts are big, comfortable rooms, pools with water slides, specially themed restaurants, lounges and... location. For example, Yacht & Beach Club Resorts provide walk-in access to Epcot and the Disney/MGM Studios. At the Contemporary, you can walk right over to the Magic Kingdom, or catch a monorail to Epcot as well (one transfer required to Epcot).

Those resorts are in the $250+ range.

In the 200-250 range you could enjoy the view overlooking a savannah with giraffes and wildebeasts from your Animal Kingdom Lodge room.

For a little less, Port Orleans Riverside offers great themeing, a nice pool complex and free boat rides between the resort and Downtown Disney, where you can dine, dance and explore Pleasure Island.

With that in mind, I'd second Main St's suggestion to check mousesavers.com.

Enjoy!

barnum42

If you wish to use your cash for things other than a bedroom, you can stay offsite. I know deals over here in UK are different to America, but I have just booked flights and two weeks accommodation in Kissimmee for less than a third the cost of staying at a value resort.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Originally posted by figmentmom
I would definitely check with Pam at Kingdom Konsultants (she sponsors the Trip Planning forum) for package prices, options and general good advice!

I would love to help you find the best way to save money and plan your trip. I do this for clients 24/7 and would love to help you too. I give you all the free help/planning that you would need when you book any pkg with me.

Please keep in mind that I do book using discount codes that are available and if there isn't one at the time of your booking and one comes out, I will switch it over automatically to save you money.

Pam

LivefortheMouse

My boyfriend and i went this summer to wilderness lodge resort. its the best resort we have been too. Its so nice and romantic. The mornings there are beautiful. the lobby is a little noise but i work with children so im used to all the noise. the resort is beautiful though i strongly recomend this resort atleast once to everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom