Adventure is Out There - A Salute to All Nations, but Mostly America

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
The majority of this trip took place inside the boundaries of Yellowstone National Park (YNP), so the title seemed fitting...but there's that Sam Eagle part in me that keeps coming to mind when it comes to a number of the stops (both in and out of YNP) and issues with this trip. In any event, here are the basics...

When- August 7th-16th

Who- Me (Sandy), Hubby (David), Kids (Kendall-11...but turned 12 on the trip, Samantha- 9)

43175594645_e04e898240_z.jpg

44095316341_358b1c3f0a_z.jpg

Where- If you got a chance to see my PTR (moved to Chit Chat), you know this is not a traditional Disney trip...well, not to a Disney Park or Disney cruise. However, some of these places are spots that you could go on an ABD trip (looks like they offer at least two itineraries that involve YNP), some are areas/topics covered in Disney films (including Walt era nature films), and a number of the places have influenced things you see in some of the parks and resorts. Plus, my favorite duck once had a visit to "Brownstone" National Park (not my vid).

Since the PTR got moved (I guess since I started it as a question vs. a true PTR) and not sure if the TR will be left here, I'm also going to tag any of you that responded in some way to the PTR, just so you know this is out here. @Songbird76 @Tick Tock @TheMouseFan @fractal @winstongator @ajrwdwgirl @LSV @John park hopper @MomofPrincessGrace

Why- I ended my last trip report noting that we'd be giving Disney stuff a break, but there's also more to this. The National Park Service feels that kids between the ages of 9 and 11 are in that prime age range to start learning about nature and history. In light of this, they came up with the Every Kid in a Park program, which grants 4th graders a free pass to explore the parks, monuments, memorials, etc. along with their families. https://www.everykidinapark.gov/ No, it's not like getting free tickets to a Disney park, but free is free. Plus, with the cost of airfare into these parts, the price difference (compared to driving or flying to WDW) comes close to what I'd spend on Disney park tickets.

Technical Note - We took nearly 3,500 pictures this time around as well as a number of videos (yes, I finally remembered...at least some of the time...that I could take video!). Along with my camera, I finally remembered to bring along my old DSLR for the kids + we had 4 phones and 2 tablets along for the ride, so our pictures and videos were coming from a number of sources. Unfortunately, they all have slightly different embedded date/time stamps which caused them to be a bit (in some cases, A LOT) out of order when uploaded to Flickr. My camera's pics seem to log first, so I may have to backtrack here and there if I come across a noteworthy phone or kid-pic farther down the line.

Oh...and I apologize if I get text heavy at times. If you've seen my past reports, you know I take lots of pictures and share the good and the bad...but I also want to share the story. I know a lot of this stuff is bucket list material for people (still shocked how many people I know here have reacted that way when I told them what we were doing). So, I figure it may even help. And like Disney vacations...there are a lot of ways to do a trip like this and aside from having a game plan and planning well in advance for some of it, you also have to play that game of what's realistic and what are our limitations. So here goes!!!

AUGUST 7th-

We were exhausted before we ever got started. My parents had flown into town on August 1st and were with us until midday on the 6th. It was a fun little staycation to get things started before the vacation...even got to tour Minute Maid Park and learn how to make sushi rolls (I can share those pics if you want...just let me know)...but it also meant trying to go into final vacation prep while hosting guests. On top of that, our first flight time had been changed and we'd be taking off out of Houston at...wait for it...

5am!

This is a blessing and a curse. When I was pricing flights (and considering all of the small cities we could fly into), I initially wanted a United flight plan that would be leaving Houston at 5:30am. It was early, but that flight would have been out of Bush, which isn't too far from home + it would guarantee time at Little Bighorn if everything went as planned. I wound up booking with American because it was a $265 pp savings, but it was at Hobby, which is farther from home. Still, when I first booked, our flight was leaving at 8:15am. A few months later, I get an email that our flight plans were changed...and we'd be leaving at 5am. It impacted our return flight as well, but I'll get into that later.

The GOOD NEWS...the early arrival meant we should be able to get to both Little Bighorn and Devils Tower on day 1.

We left the house around 2:15am, parking reservations at the Parking Spot went flawlessly (even took a pic of my parking spot)...

30213727828_8f72fd9e4c_z.jpg

...and we were waiting in the terminal to check our bags by 3am. And apparently that whole arrive 2 hours early for domestic flights doesn't apply to 5am flights. None of the attendants for any of the airlines showed up until some time between 3:30-3:45. I guess it at least gave me time to borrow a pen from a nice lady...since I realized our tags all had our old address and in changing purses, I had no pens.

Before I knew it, bags were checked, we were through security and waiting at our gate. The Dunkin Donuts across the way just opened up and tummies were getting grumbly...so I got them breakfast. David was boring and got a plain glazed, but the kids got these sharky things...

30213727508_8ba8c60be9_z.jpg

44033456012_9954377827_z.jpg

*Reminds me a lot of what Disney does with mouse ear sprinkles.

I got nothing. A. I wasn't hungry... yet. B. I've been trying to change up a lot of things in my life. While I have a long way to go to get back to a healthy place, I had lost 31 pounds before the trip. I wasn't going to let a cute sharky donut sabotage any of that progress. Besides...I don't like Dunkin. I would have been in trouble if that were a Shipley's.

The flight to Dallas was uneventful and pretty dark. It's a short flight between Houston and Dallas, so I refused to let myself sleep. I actually took a couple of darkness pics from the plane. One of the moon (I remember watching the various constellations as we flew) and one of the hints of sunrise on the horizon.

42273143480_142fd795f1_z.jpg

42273146100_529fe8808d_z.jpg

Oh, and I normally would book a direct flight unless there was a major savings with a convenient connection. The connection was convenient, but it wasn't about savings...it's pretty much impossible for us to fly into any spots in this part of the country without making a connection.

We had a 3 hour layover, so plenty of time to get to our next gate. It meant changing terminals, but that was fine. We hung out for a while playing in this pretty blue glass artsy thing and watched the plane activity outside.

43175594755_6700a95218_z.jpg

30213727798_a62ea035ce_z.jpg

*Yes, the Mickey hoodie we got at WDW last trip was with us and already her fave thing she was wearing for the trip.

30213727978_d86e59cf97_z.jpg

30213727498_b2d2fda557_z.jpg

43175591805_163cb3a2fc_z.jpg

I also had a strong feeling that our gate would be changed. The gate we were initially assigned had no American signage and everyone that started showing up looked like they were heading someplace with warmer weather. I also realized that the plane outside was not an American plane.

42273145940_e3b4591f16_z.jpg

I checked the board and it had us and another flight listed for the same gate. Turns out the other flight was going to Punta Cana...hence all of the tropical gear I was seeing. So, we stayed put waiting for a change.

I checked the board again a little while later and sure enough, our gate had changed. Thankfully, we were in the same terminal and still listed on time. Oh, and when we got to that gate, we saw people in hiking boots and met a guy who was going there on business but always tosses in a break day for fly fishing. He had a fun time kidding with the girls about them going to Billings, MT and drilling them on everything they were planning to do. Yeah...we were in the right place. LOL

We boarded the plane, I put on the eye mask and earplugs my parents gave me during their visit (they recently got back from Iceland and Ireland and saved all of these flight packs), and I was asleep before takeoff. I woke up 3/4 of the way through the flight and found these two playing their tablets and being civilized little human beings. I know everyone brags on Southwest, but the American attendants on this flight and our earlier flight were soooooo sweet with the kids. In fact, very few complaints about American as a whole.

43175595155_db7ede2f31_z.jpg

We were sort of in between windows (for both flights), so I felt like I was intruding on my neighbors in trying to peak through, but I took one picture of the land below us...and I could see the terrain had changed from the 'nothing but flat' we see in our part of TX.

29144521657_f845213063_z.jpg

We were scheduled to land in Billings, MT at 11:15 mountain time, but we arrived a little early. It's a small airport, but not as small as Jackson Hole (went through there for 2005 trip) and it wouldn't look as small as what we'd see later on in Cody. Either way, by the time we got down to baggage, all of our bags were out, so it was small enough for things to go quickly. SCORE! Next step...rental car...and there was no wait.

I was nervous...we were there earlier than I'd put on my reservation due to the flight change and I scored a ridiculously amazing deal on a mid-sized SUV that I still think was some kind of system fluke. It was so good that I was thinking they'd tell me that the system made a mistake and that the real price was hundreds more (like what was listed both just minutes before and after this crazy good price came up). Nope...it was all good! He asked me if I was OK with a Jeep Grand Cherokee...ok sure.

I expected a stripped down model. That's what I always get when I rent unless I get a random free upgrade. This time, we got a brand new (although, already had over 6k miles on it), temp tags still on, totally loaded vehicle. I was so shocked, I even took pics of the dash and seat because I couldn't get over the luck.

42273146240_34507b98ec_z.jpg

43363373524_1598eb5e37_z.jpg

The kids were loving it too, because they had dual screens in the headrests with all kinds of bells and whistles for movies and other video play (although I refused to buy batteries for the vehicle's headsets...which caused all kinds of fights), we had one of those vehicle length moon/sun roof, and 4WD...in case I wanted to go crazy with the rental. On a side note...where was this 4WD vehicle when we were in CA with the snow a few years ago!??!?! (i.e. 2015/2016 TR)

We were all hungry by this point and I didn't feel like playing around on Yelp, so we went with the first familiar thing that we saw...Applebees.

29144521537_ecd04e0c32_z.jpg

29144522947_51c344cdd8_z.jpg

It was at least a pretty view and they said both of the girls could have their unlimited chicken strips deal for the price of one. The only bad part, my brain wasn't in camera mode and I left it at the table when we were leaving. Thankfully, I remembered before we pulled away. Whew!!!

We hit the road and headed towards Little Bighorn Battlefield. It looked like it would be an easy drive and while it was on the warm side (for MT...not us), weather looked good. The kids also finally fell asleep during this drive (not that it was a long one...only a little over an hour).

43363373584_106b6dff4c_z.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coming up...Little Bighorn, Devils Tower, and our stop for the night.

Last edited:

winstongator

That is a great program to get kids to national parks. My daughters loved our trip to Yellowstone last summer. We had a Grand Cherokee on that trip too. Always good to see the kids asleep in the back of the car!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Funny...other non-Disney TRs are allowed to stay in the TR section, but not this one. Oh well. Not worth the energy...just look for it here in the Chit Chat section.

On a side note, we must have been flying out of Houston Hobby around the same time as something going into Orlando. We saw a number of people at security in Disney gear. An odd, sort of bittersweet feeling came over me. I was really good that that we weren't going to anything Disney, but I watched this one family with a young son up in front of me and I couldn't help but wonder where they were staying, what characters he wanted to see, etc.

OK, back on track and on the way to Little Bighorn...

While I was using GPS, there were lots of signs guiding us. There were also lots of signs warning us to watch for motorcycles and welcoming Sturgis visitors. Yup...we were there during the bike rally. No problem with us and bikers...it just adds to the crowds. Thankfully, we didn't have to wait long to pull up to the ranger station.

When we did the Every Kid in a Park thing online, you just print out a voucher to be redeemed at a national park/monument/memorial for a formal card pass. I wasn't sure how smoothly this would go, so I was a bit anxious...which was totally not needed. The ranger's face lit up... he said "Soooo, you have a 4th grader?" I told him she was in the back, but was asleep. I lowered the window and I got this immediate, "Awwwwwwww." He hands me her official card and hang tag, but tells me she's technically supposed to sign it. He said I could sign it for her so we wouldn't have to wake her up, but she'd have to get up anyway to visit the site, so we woke up the cranky 9 year old. He asked her a few questions about what she was excited to see, she later freaked out b/c it wasn't the same stuff she answered online (which is fine), and we were on our way.

Parking was a bit of a challenge with all of the motorcycles, but we found a spot and got out to explore. While I could see Last Stand Hill from the road, the first thing that stood out to us was the Custer National Cemetery. This part of the battlefield was designated as a national cemetary in the late 1800s in order to protect the graves of the fallen soldiers that were already onsite...at least that's what I recall reading. This cemetary closed for reservations in 1978.

43375190324_2a5588d1ab_z.jpg

43375189184_b80618a232_z.jpg

44048913802_71367527e0_z.jpg

29159718427_7238c8988c_z.jpg

We spent some time looking at the graves (and to be honest, it was feeling a bit morbid), but we didn't have a ton of time, so we decided to head up to Last Stand Hill. While your eye is initially drawn to the hill (which you can see from the highway), you quickly find yourself looking down to the valley and all of the graves marking that portion of the battlefield.

43375186514_5f83dfdd11_z.jpg

44093976491_8225d2589c_z.jpg

I also think we were a bit travel weary, because we were just weren't ready for the climb.

43375183974_f4d81ecc85_z.jpg

43375183454_0a4a5eb61b_z.jpg

When I got to the top, I had one of those "I saw it in my history books" moments. It's pretty surreal to stand up there, see the monument and see the marker for where General Custer fell.

29156011447_a17af36f6f_z.jpg

29156013647_269065c0df_z.jpg

43375179444_2ba15a96fe_z.jpg

To be perfectly honest, I was afraid I'd have old cartoons and bad ice cream/custard stand names going through my head, but I didn't. It's just such a quiet place and the mood was...well...I guess, somber? Of course, when you're there, it's hard not to see that there are graves all over the place...so that clearly is a big part of it. Not exactly the most upbeat way to start of a trip...right? I just figured we were there and when would we get another chance to see it.

We moved on and saw some of the other important markers...such as the horse cemetery.

44045034752_a4efbc9138_z.jpg

Also, if you're familiar with the battle as well as this portion of history, in general, you know what this all meant with the American Indians involved as well. It had been ages since I'd studied any of this, so I watched that CSPAN ranger video I previously posted to refresh my memory. Long story short, it made me feel so conflicted about a number of things in American history. At the very least, it was good to see representation of the American Indians at the site.

44093973231_d6a14b1228_z.jpg

44093971711_494d0fb27e_z.jpg

43375175214_0b6bfacb0c_z.jpg

We started to make our way back down and I noticed this marker had coins on it.

43375166734_ea44ba10ca_z.jpg

We went inside the museum and store for a bit. We were really just in search of a bathroom, but there was a lot of interesting stuff in there to be seen. We browsed a little, but needed to head back out so we stayed on schedule.

43375161104_bb06de550c_z.jpg

44045180162_f9d13ec184_z.jpg

While I didn't approach him, as we were heading to the vehicle, I saw the ranger who lives onsite that gave that CSPAN presentation.

So, we hit the road again...next stop Devils Tower National Monument...the first U.S. monument. While it only took us a little over an hour to get to Little Bighorn from Billings, Devils Tower was a 3-3.5 hour drive (speed limit was already 80 for most of the way). As you might imagine, there aren't a lot of people and big towns/cities in this part of the country, which also means a lack of cell phone coverage (among other things) through a number of spots. This would be the first time we'd wind up in a No Service situation this trip.

I have to be honest, it makes me nervous. I don't need to be on Facebook all the time or anything like that, but not being able to call for help if we need it does worry me. I know it was annoying David on day 1 since I was already freaking out about being stranded with no gas and no way to call. I know this sounds crazy to some people, but I grew up outside of NYC, so I'm always a bit out of my comfort zone (at least for a little while) when I'm in a less populated place. I guess that is a pro to the number of bikers in the area...more people driving through that wouldn't be there during a non-rally time.

David took over driving somewhere around Buffalo, WY. I believe it was shortly after Gillette, WY where we started to see an increase in Devils Tower historical signs.

43375159644_385167fe50_z.jpg

I believe we saw this one after we got off of Hwy 90.

43375159124_78960055c0_z.jpg

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I remember all of the hype and excitement over Close Encounters of the Third Kind when I was a kid. So, that's what my brain went to every time I thought "we're going to Devils Tower!!!" And when I saw it in the distance, I was sort of a kid again...not to mention the disbelief that I was seeing it in person.

43187089175_8b07f577e5_z.jpg

In fact, I took a lot of pictures as we approached because I knew I'd later need to prove to myself that I really saw it...but also to be reminded of the scenery in the area as well.

43375157754_9c4a061110_z.jpg

43187088295_c875d93927_z.jpg

43187087305_4ee79e8005_z.jpg

(all of the tepees had me thinking of Peter Pan)

43375154794_9e9f8a293d_z.jpg

It was around this time that we also noticed a police officer finishing up a traffic stop. I'm sure people speed through here all of the time during peak. We weren't speeding, but shortly after, there were flashing lights in our rear view and he was pulling us over. Nope...not speeding according to him either. He just couldn't read our vehicle's temp tag due to MT's format and the dark tint on the back window. He was very pleasant and I offered to let him see the rental agreement so he could take it up with Hertz if he felt so inclined.

We were back on our way and I was back to taking pictures. Almost there!

43375151904_4c3aaf295d_z.jpg

43187085145_4e470b546d_z.jpg

We had to "show our 4th grader" at the entrance, but we were quickly on our way...and I went back to taking pictures...although, I tried not to overdo it because I started feeling like things were getting a bit redundant.

We saw a lot of deer on the drive up, but nobody managed to get any pictures. The girls hadn't caught the photography bug yet, so that's part of it.

We had to park in a side lot because the lot near the visitor center and bathrooms was designated for motorcycles. Thankfully, it wasn't too far of a walk. It was, however, a bit of a climb. I had thought about walking when prepping for the trip, even thought about hiking, but somehow, my brain erased the whole idea of steep hills. I know it's nothing like the people who get permits to actually climb the monument, but it's still pretty steep heading up there. But...it's worth it IMO because the majority of my favorite pics were taken at this point. And if you hum the Close Encounters notes for the aliens, it makes it a bit easier. LOL

43375138044_59b9a40610_z.jpg

43375136314_b2da981eef_z.jpg

44093945651_8ae5895473_z.jpg

44081946811_f2ae10f4b9_z.jpg

What goes up must come down (words to live by on a trip like this)...and vice versa.

43375133854_0a51a6dbbb_z.jpg

There aren't many lodging options right near Devils Tower and I didn't want to backtrack to Gillette for the night, so I went with a B&B. We actually passed it on our way to the tower so there would be no hunting around to find it on the way back. In fact, it was only 4 miles from Devils Tower, so it meant we could go back at sunset.

I've never stayed at a B&B, so I was feeling a little out of my element. Still, it was the kind of element I wanted for this trip...a 27 acre ranch just sounded like what we needed to start off this trip and it got great ratings, so why not? So, we checked into Sawin' Logs B&B, the owner (Twila) showed us to our room, gave us the details on things, as well as some suggestions for dinner. I decided to wait to take B&B pics until the following morning...something about it just said morning light would be better. So, we headed back out.

Ms. Twila made several suggestions and after our long day, we decided to go with the most casual. There was a little burger joint type restaurant at the KOA right before the entrance to Devils Tower, so we decided to go there. Hey...it was the area attraction we were there to see for that portion of the day, so at least we could see it with our dinner...

42273143760_919c782d37_z.jpg

44081946131_9ce5576f73_z.jpg

We all got bison burgers...nothing too exciting, but they were good burgers. I joked with the kids that it may be from the bison we saw on the farm just before turning in...they didn't like that joke. I also liked the Close Encounters pinball machine across from our table...

44081947221_de2ba12835_z.jpg

They started closing up after we got our food, so I guess it's good we got there when we did. They had a little general store with treats and ice cream. Kendall couldn't decide on anything and she couldn't have their ice cream (allergy concerns), so there was a bit of a meltdown. I at least looked around before heading outside.

44081948751_749de06847_z.jpg

David and Sam shared a couple of scoops of chocolate.

30213728168_6831eb6ce3_z.jpg

Sam also thought it was super cool that there was a bird's nest up in the building's overhang full of baby birds.

29144521357_341fb9638f_z.jpg

We all needed some sleep, so we started to head back to the B&B. I forget which one of use noticed the beautiful sunset and decided to pull off into a pullout to get some pics.

44093943841_0213b1fdb7_z.jpg

This would also be the only time Kendall and I decided to compete against each other with pictures. I think she and I each took three pics. The one above is my best. This is one of those situations where the kid pics didn't upload correctly, so I'll have to post hers in my next update since I may need to upload hers again.

It was a quick drive back to the B&B and we were all just ready for sleep. OK...I take that back, the kids wanted to bust into the games I bought and marvel at the massive shower that came with our room.

1. I bought 2 decks of cards, travel Battleship, Uno, a box of 12 different magnetic travel games, and Connect 4 for the trip (plus we had tablets and a good 30 movies in case we wanted to watch on the laptop). The kids have been looking at them for weeks and were so eager to break into them.
2. I think our room must have also been their accessible room. The shower was a massive, multi-head, walk in shower. We normally have to beg the kids to shower, but tonight, they didn't want to get out.

We eventually all had to get to bed because we had to be ready to go the next day and breakfast was set to be served at 8am. Thankfully, I packed clothes in ziplock bags in the backpacks for the road trip portion of this trip, so there was no digging in and out of the big cases. The only downside to this...my hiking boots were deep in my suitcase and I didn't want to dig them out until Yellowstone. I was wearing a pair of Hoka Bondi for the non YNP part of this trip and while they are super comfy, they have this rocker tech built into them. So steeper inclines like the hill at Little Bighorn and the areas around Devils Tower weren't the greatest. If anything, it kind of wanted to rock me backwards down the hills. Oh well...the choices I made.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coming up- August 8th...How much would we get done in SD?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Yay! Can't wait to read more!

Thanks! Hopefully, it will be as entertaining as a Disney TR :)

Love this part of the country! Looking forward to the rest of the report.

Thanks! It's such a beautiful area. It makes me want to buy a summer home somewhere up there.

That is a great program to get kids to national parks. My daughters loved our trip to Yellowstone last summer. We had a Grand Cherokee on that trip too. Always good to see the kids asleep in the back of the car!

I was pleasantly surprised how much the kids enjoyed Yellowstone. I hadn't been in nearly 13 years and was hoping this would be the right time for introductions.

I'm excited to see more of your trip. Yellowstone is a beautiful place!

Thanks! We really love Yellowstone as well. It will be the bulk of the TR.

Following along! Love the title. :hilarious:

Thanks! I was torn between Up themes and Sam Eagle, so I tried to strike a balance with both.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I liked your pictures, especially the sunset one of Devil's Tower. We stopped there for a bit on our way to Cody/Yellowstone. I didn't think I would be as impressed with it as I was but both my husband and I thought it was worth a stop. We were there in the early morning and saw people rock climbing on it, and that was neat to see because that would be something I wouldn't ever do!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I liked your pictures, especially the sunset one of Devil's Tower. We stopped there for a bit on our way to Cody/Yellowstone. I didn't think I would be as impressed with it as I was but both my husband and I thought it was worth a stop. We were there in the early morning and saw people rock climbing on it, and that was neat to see because that would be something I wouldn't ever do!

Thanks! I was really looking forward to taking pictures this trip. I was hoping to see climbers, but I guess it was late enough in the day that we missed them. Yeah...wouldn't mind watching, but would never dream of climbing. I feel the same way about the people who file permits for back country hiking/camping in Yellowstone. I'm sure they see all kinds of things by being that far off the beaten path, but I'll appreciate their pictures and stories :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, I was going through the files and it looks like over 100 pics were taken by the kids, but dropped during my Flickr upload...including Kendall's Devils Tower sunset pics. This is her best. There are things I like better about hers. Ultimately, both are decent pics.

44210609192_d593da9fdd_c.jpg

She actually took a lot of pictures on the drive up to the parking area (which felt like it went on forever), but it looks like she really did miss all of the deer.

Hope to post a real update tomorrow. :)

Tick Tock

Hopefully, it will be as entertaining as a Disney TR :)
I love Disney, no doubt. But there is something truly heavenly about national parks. It's humbling to explore some of these amazing places and let nature tell it's story. Your pics & TR have been amazing so far. Ironically, your family visited right around the same time of year my Dad and Uncle took a Brother's trip back in 2014. They had a blast, and seem to have taken a very similar route to yours; stopping at Devil's Tower first before working their way out toward Yellowstone, etc. I also hear that @Nemo14 could be the next forum member headed westward...

We were there in the early morning and saw people rock climbing on it, and that was neat to see because that would be something I wouldn't ever do!
I would think about it for a few seconds, then most likely come to my senses and reach the same conclusion as you did about attempting such a feat.

Nemo14

Wow - I can't believe I almost missed this report. As @Tick Tock mentioned, DH and I are heading west very soon (a week from today in fact) and I'm over-the-moon excited about it. Our itinerary is a little different from yours, We'll be away for 15 days, with a stay in Yellowstone for a week. We fly into Salt Lake City and head to Yellowstone by way of the Tetons. Like you we have a crazy week ahead of us yet (we're in VA now helping out our son and daughter-in-law and our little grandson) and we'll just have a couple of days to pack and prepare when we get back home to RI this week, probably Wednesday.

I scored a great deal on our rental car this week too, and last week I ended up rebooking some of the places we'll be staying because the prices had gone down since my original bookings, so all in all I'm saving about $200 just by rebooking those.

We won't be doing Custer Battlefield or Devil's Tower on this trip but I really enjoyed your pictures of both. I remember going there as a high school kid with my parents and 6 other siblings and cousins in the family station wagon packed to the hilt with suitcases and camping gear (yes we all slept in one big tent). Your pictures brought back a lot of great memories of my first infatuation with the west. Looking forward to reading more!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I love Disney, no doubt. But there is something truly heavenly about national parks. It's humbling to explore some of these amazing places and let nature tell it's story. Your pics & TR have been amazing so far. Ironically, your family visited right around the same time of year my Dad and Uncle took a Brother's trip back in 2014. They had a blast, and seem to have taken a very similar route to yours; stopping at Devil's Tower first before working their way out toward Yellowstone, etc. I also hear that @Nemo14 could be the next forum member headed westward...

I would think about it for a few seconds, then most likely come to my senses and reach the same conclusion as you did about attempting such a feat.

Thank you! So much of it takes me back to a photography guide we'd hired the last time we visited Yellowstone. While she was specifically speaking on Yellowstone, I think her sentiments can be applied to most of these parks and monuments. I can't quote her verbatim, but she said that Yellowstone reminds you that you're just another critter in all of this and it makes you realize how this is bigger than all of us. It's also funny that you note that it's "around the same time" because that's going to play into the YNP part of this...since we'd be there about a month earlier than our last visit. Funny how much difference a month can make.

Wow - I can't believe I almost missed this report. As @Tick Tock mentioned, DH and I are heading west very soon (a week from today in fact) and I'm over-the-moon excited about it. Our itinerary is a little different from yours, We'll be away for 15 days, with a stay in Yellowstone for a week. We fly into Salt Lake City and head to Yellowstone by way of the Tetons. Like you we have a crazy week ahead of us yet (we're in VA now helping out our son and daughter-in-law and our little grandson) and we'll just have a couple of days to pack and prepare when we get back home to RI this week, probably Wednesday.

I scored a great deal on our rental car this week too, and last week I ended up rebooking some of the places we'll be staying because the prices had gone down since my original bookings, so all in all I'm saving about $200 just by rebooking those.

We won't be doing Custer Battlefield or Devil's Tower on this trip but I really enjoyed your pictures of both. I remember going there as a high school kid with my parents and 6 other siblings and cousins in the family station wagon packed to the hilt with suitcases and camping gear (yes we all slept in one big tent). Your pictures brought back a lot of great memories of my first infatuation with the west. Looking forward to reading more!

With the slow pace I go at, you'll probably be on your trip by the time I get to our Yellowstone portion, but it'll at least be good for comparison when you get back.

I thought about flying into Salt Lake City since it would open up a greater number of flight options, but DH wasn't too keen on that idea. Not sure why, as I could have involved a number of sites for us to visit with that starting point. I really like accessing Yellowstone from Grand Teton. While the area has seen more fires since our last visit, it's such a scenic drive. It's also neat to see how the lodge pole pines reseed from fire...like little Christmas tree forests.

Funny, I wound up rebooking a few things last minute as well. Not quite as much of a savings, but every bit helps. Awesome that you were also able to get a great deal on a rental car!

We never made these western trips as a kid, but our visit to Yellowstone and Grand Teton had such a profound impact on us (just before having kids) that I wanted ours to see it before they were adults. DH was nervous that they wouldn't be as impressed, but they were beyond wowed.

Sounds like your trip will be timed closer to when DH and I first visited back in 2005. I'll be curious to hear how a few weeks in time difference impacts things. We saw things last time that we didn't see this time due to the timing and vice versa. You should be there during elk rut, so that could prove to be exciting. I know we also saw snow when we went in September, which was also kind of cool and great for pictures.

Well, hopefully I'll pick up the pace so I can at least get some Yellowstone in before you leave :)

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
AUGUST 8th-

Our bodies were still on central time and messed up from not really sleeping the previous night, so I was up around 5:30am MT. I sat in bed for a while, but the sun comes up pretty early (or so it felt), so I was out and about not soon after taking pictures around the ranch...

43375127024_1a401cb118_z.jpg

43375123094_654b1d8b81_z.jpg

43375124304_d5caf6c52f_z.jpg

43375122154_aa37b636f2_z.jpg

44093942451_8d21d72ed2_z.jpg

44093934131_a77f18231c_z.jpg

43375129654_960566d134_z.jpg

43186930375_ee9c2911cd_z.jpg

43375121054_6a6d809b93_z.jpg

OK, you get the idea. It was just this serene sort of wide open space that said...RELAX! Oh yea...Ms. Twila's husband did all of the wood carvings. He's no longer able to do them, but they add a certain cute factor to the whole place.

In the process, I also met one of the other guests staying at the B&B. He and his wife were in the area from Minnesota. We'd eventually hit that point where it was time for breakfast where we all got to sit down and get to know each other. There was also a third couple there from Alberta. Breakfast was great...fresh fruit, an egg dish that involved cottage cheese, homemade scones (caramel, I think), etc.

We did have some drama before hitting the road. There were a number of honey bees around the property...makes sense with the flowers. Both girls are fearful of bees (wasps, yellowjackets, etc.), but we gave them this whole talk about how honey bees rarely sting and it's really only if they feel threatened when there's an issue. So, we're walking down the boardwalk path to our car and all of a sudden, there's this blood curdling scream behind me.

"IT'S ON ME!!! IT'S ON ME!!! IT'S STINGING ME!!! IT'S STINGING ME!!!"

I thought it was Kendall at first, but it was Samantha. My mind immediately went to allergies. Sam used to have allergic reactions to ant bites and mosquito bites. She outgrew it, but her old pediatrician always told us to be ready since she may also be sensitive to bees. No, I didn't grab any of Kendall's auto-injectors, but I did get a Zyrtec tab into her right away. David ran inside to see if the B&B owner had any baking soda...which she did. So he was able to make a paste and apply it to the sting. Not even 9am and we already have drama! Thankfully, Sam was OK, but the sting bothered her for a while. She's still pretty freaked out by it though, so I haven't tried to make light of it with this classic Donald cartoon (again- not mine).

We got on the road after we got her comfy, officially waved good-bye to Devils Tower (which we could see on the way out), but stopped pretty quickly because David wanted to grab sodas (caffeiene source of choice). We already had lots of bikers around before we ever even got up on the main highway. I did have a good chuckle with the B&B owner before all of this...her talking about all of the traffic...and realizing she and I have very different definitions of traffic. Oh well...lots of bikers at the gas station where we went to get sodas.

44093933241_626bc36044_z.jpg

In fact, I took biker pictures all through the trip just to show how it followed us from point to point. Like I said before, I was actually pretty happy they were there...well, most of the time (video to come on my only issue). Look, signs everywhere to watch for the bikers. I guess they must have a lot of problems with them getting hit. Before we moved, we had a lot of bike traffic on our route to Galveston, so it was more normal to us.

44093932761_bfde6c46f3_z.jpg

It wasn't long before we were in South Dakota. I missed the state sign, but I love how their rest areas have these tepees.

44093930181_0f17a52db7_z.jpg

I really just took pics as we went...ya know, terrain changes and all.

44093931311_721b44fe64_z.jpg

44093928921_7a6d13fe9a_z.jpg

I also initially thought this plane was something kitschy, but when we saw another one in another area (later to come this day), I guess these denote an airport. We did see the red ball markers on the wires (I'm sure they have a better, more technical name).

44093932301_066bf41247_z.jpg

We were still following lots of bikers, but things really ramped up as we passed through the Sturgis area.

43375110044_6ce4f29eeb_z.jpg

Ultimately, it was kind of cool to be there during this and see even the little things on the perimeter of the actual area set up for them...along with all of the camper and tent cities...not to mention all of the cool toy-haulers and mega bikes that we passed.

43375109484_2d88db220a_z.jpg

RIght around this point, you also pass the Black Hills National Cemetary...another somber marker on this trip.

43374979334_e675b41939_z.jpg

Oh...and no stopping in Belle Fourche or Deadwood. I had to prioritize and it just wasn't in the plans. I did, however, learn who to pronounce Belle Fourche. And thankfully, it was not me saying it incorrectly in front of anyone and making a fool of myself. Nope, just overheard a guy at the B&B and reconfirmed it while watching the local news that evening.

I know we stopped around this time...ya know, restroom, drinks, snacks, etc. I tried to explain to David that it would be a while before we'd be eating (he has all kinds of issues if he doesn't eat often enough), but he thought I was overreacting with my "we're going to be out in the middle of nowhere" concerns. So, I got the kids snacks and took over driving at this point...set the GPS to Badlands National Park...and hit the road. We started seeing signs to turn off for the park well before the GPS directions had me going. So, naturally I disregarded my GPS and turned off according to the road signs. We could see some of it before we ever got to the park entrance and there were already tons of oooohs and ahhhhhs.

I was driving for a chunk of our time in Badlands, so I have to rely on the kids' pics for any points in time where we weren't stopped. Of course, I was the only one who noticed the prairie dog town off to our right before arriving at the guard shack, so I'd have to wait on prairie dog pics. We showed the ranger our 4th grader (LOL) and were in...and pretty much got out at the first overlook.

43375108144_9b9d5d2744_z.jpg

30225791758_0348b432bc_z.jpg

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
...more from first overlook...

30225790008_5049bd6da9_z.jpg

30225789248_e923ae7fa0_z.jpg

30225786958_6cce5d8dec_z.jpg

30225785758_4ca4defcc2_z.jpg

30225785018_33b453ed6e_z.jpg

30225783458_fbe2dca7b3_z.jpg

Sorry...this was our first overlook and I was in awe! Maybe it's because we were driving through what I felt was prairie land for miles and miles...and then you turn off and all of a sudden...there's this! It just really took me by surprise.

Badlands is one of those parks that looks pretty in pictures, but feels kind of WHOAAA in person. I mean, I was completely blown away. At some point, driving through, it becomes a bit monotonous and I'm glad I didn't make any effort to book us into the Cedar Pass Lodge. Of course, I might feel differently had I devoted more time so we could get out and really take time to hike and explore. We did drive by Cedar Pass at some point and it was so crowded, trying to eat there was also not something we wanted to attempt.

OK, so on to driving through the Badlands. We got back in the car and drove to the next interesting looking spot...wandered around a little bit...saw a big bird that I could never identify (it's the black dot in the pic with David and the girls)...and got in the car again for the next interesting spot.

30225781298_0da6806935_z.jpg

44045127692_b3e568b2d5_z.jpg

30225779858_353bf75c73_z.jpg

44045125342_7d183f53a4_z.jpg

It all kind of blends, but I believe this was our third lookout where we stopped. It was also around this time that our lovely rental vehicle started to freak me out. It had this lane sensing feature that's supposed to help assist in keeping you in your lane if it senses that you're drifting. The problem...it's not well designed for winding roads. There were several times where I had to fight it to keep from driving us off a cliff. So it was this stop where I also learned how to turn off that killer feature.

30225778168_7dc1f667fc_z.jpg

29155950127_9585b87d03_z.jpg

30225776138_0e5bb978dc_z.jpg

29155947687_760fb2a946_z.jpg

At some point after this, we spotted some pronghorn. Again...me driving...not taking pics. BUT, Kendall was actually first to spot them and had my old camera out of the case, so she snapped some pics. I know some people call them antelope (even NPS), but they are not technically antelope. I had to do some research on it, but their closest livivg relatives are actually the giraffe and okapi.

44049095312_92201b9ff7_z.jpg

29159905117_18c5f94fd2_z.jpg

It became very clear that animals were a big thing for the kids. Before we went, many guides said we should visit Roberts Prairie Dog Town...only problem, I turned the wrong way and was headed away from it...and was already at a too far to drive back point. As luck would have it, I happened to drive by another random prairie town. I was afraid of rattle snakes (something we were warned about with both Little Bighorn and Badlands), but David went out into the town along a narrow path without a care in the world. Thankfully, no snakes were seen, but we saw lots of prairie dogs.

30225774278_66cb449f49_z.jpg

29155945297_23cb57ae9c_z.jpg

30225771938_7ba0fb8e13_z.jpg

(just some perspective on how far away we were and how hard my telephoto was having to work)

29155941317_319619240f_z.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
43375068774_2685e59521_z.jpg

They're so far, that I didn't mess around with a lot of cropping, but I figured I'd do one.

44235288482_98c602c9e9_z.jpg

While I totally messed up the video and have nothing to show for it, it was like being in a nature film when we entered the town. A bunch of prairie dogs stood up and started "barking." We never got close to any of them (not that I planned to) and I know that bark is more of an alarm/alert, so we didn't want to stay too long. i.e. didn't want to stress them out any more than we already had.

I drove through more winding areas and the kids took pics...

44049081432_ae57bc04a5_z.jpg

44049080582_94f3b6174d_z.jpg

*They didn't want to put the windows down.

42288664420_f2fa10627e_z.jpg

...but I had to stop at this next spot because I saw a bunch of dark animals off in the distance. When we got out, all kinds of people returning to their cars were excitedly buzzing about bison. I took some scenery pics as well as some "bison" pics, but after doing some magnification with my camera (and confirming with the kids' binoculars), it was clear that we were just looking at cows. Mooooo.

43375066174_62dee85cda_z.jpg

43375064614_0b13f6da10_z.jpg

29155936457_0c41fa2d77_z.jpg

It was this overlook that was our first time this trip seeing people being stupid. Some younger guys were climbing out to areas that didn't look stable, and based on footwear and attire, they weren't experienced climbers either. It was all in the name of the perfect selfie. One woman looked at me (I guess the disapproval was written all over my face) and she said something in the "thinning of the gene pool" vein.

We decided to wave good-bye to the Badlands and see a historical site that's pretty darn close to the exit we were using...

43375062734_d69dc68b3e_z.jpg

29155932497_0ee4a97935_z.jpg

29155930747_6306475445_z.jpg

In a nutshell, this site preserves the last remaining Minuteman II intercontinental ballistic missile in the US. The guided tours involving the disarmed missile and silo are limited to six people at a time and we had other things to do, so we just did a self guided tour of the main above ground facility...

29155929077_8fee283f23_z.jpg

29155928287_370f6b701e_z.jpg

29155927767_5df957be3a_z.jpg

29155925777_9b18f2a84b_z.jpg

29155924917_2f3b3a8509_z.jpg

29155923087_b6cf682efc_z.jpg

Afterwards, it was time to start heading towards Mount Rushmore. We also had fun just taking pics of various things along the road...including another plane marked airport. Obviously, some of this one is about the bikers, but it's also about our growing bug collection. We hit so many bug clouds driving in and out of this area that it sounded like pouring rain on the windshield.

29155921137_269e6a3e46_z.jpg

29155919597_ac886b1610_z.jpg

29155918257_61802476ee_z.jpg

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
43187015435_98d9900410_z.jpg

(sorry- this one pic sent it over the limit and had to put in a new post)

During this drive, David also realized his error in not getting a snack. He was so hungry that he felt sick. He resorted to eating some of Kendall's snack. Nope...not a healthy snack...it was a big bag of Doritos in a flavor he said "I didn't realize anyone even liked these...they're disgusting!" Well, beggars can't be choosers and it was either that or Sam's Funyuns.

We wound up stopping at a Perkins for some lunch. Nobody could decide on what they wanted (should have stopped at that Wall Drug listed on one of the signs above) and nobody wanted fast food, so it was on me to figure it out. We don't have Perkins in Texas. In fact, I think the closest one is in Memphis, TN. We had them in NY and NJ, so at least I knew it would work.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coming up...Mount Rushmore in the day, Crazy Horse, lodging and dinner, Mount Rushmore Illumination

Last edited:

Nemo14

Just my 2 cents about the bee sting. If I remember correctly when my kids wee going through that, the doctor told us that most people do not get an allergic reaction from the first sting, but the second time they're stung. Something about antibodies I think. Just something to keep an eye on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom