Additional WDW Rumors

DarkMeasures

General Grizz said:
According to popular legend, the last time Walt Disney had a real laugh before he passed away was at a sketch that Marc Davis showed him of a bear playing an instrument.

This one became a reality on October 1st, 1971. . .:)

Yep, such a great story. It is in the Imagineering book.

Brooke

I'm all for Jack Sparrow in PoTC. Preferably Johnny Depp himself. They could tie him up then give him bathroom breaks. It could work!

TinkerBell9988

General Grizz said:
According to popular legend, the last time Walt Disney had a real laugh before he passed away was at a sketch that Marc Davis showed him of a bear playing an instrument.

This one became a reality on October 1st, 1971. . .:)

Yes, I read this in the Imagineering book that I have... one of my favorite Disney books I own. :)

About the PoTC rehab... It needs a rehab badly, terribly badly, if those words could be used in that order. It smells of must, the audio needs to be adjusted, and some of the AAs don't work as swift as they used to. I am all for a rehab, but please no PoTc-Movie AAs! It is an original, and should stay an original.

The movie did stem from the attraction anyway... :animwink:

tigger248

DarkMeasures said:
Yep, such a great story. It is in the Imagineering book.

I have that book! I should really think about reading it though. I tend to buy books and browse through the pictures. I don't usually have a whole lotta time to read non school books. Dumb classes, covering like 3 chapters a week....

CaptainMichael

I think I would be okay with animatronics based on the movie if they were used in the right way to better enhance the story of PotC in Walt Disney World.

Hit me if I'm being stupid, but what does a rehab of the Great Movie Ride have to do with the Sorceror's Hat. You can tell where I stand on the hat issue by looking at my former avatar.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I hope TGMR rehab is going to be a major rehab, but not a major change (new fx, probably another re edit of the finale film etc. Oh - and improve the `Alien` segment!)

PotC WDW has always been the poor relation - it was fast tracked from planning to opening in less than 2 years. As of the start of 1972 there were plans to open a PotC in Orlando, and due to guest demands it was designed, built and opened by December 1973!

Loose the hat, loose the wand!

General Grizz

marni1971 said:
I hope TGMR rehab is going to be a major rehab, but not a major change (new fx, probably another re edit of the finale film etc. Oh - and improve the `Alien` segment!)

I, too, hope that GMR doesn't go under a "major change," although I certainly promote its tasteful update and new technology. (I'd hate to see the TRUE icon of MGM be destroyed).

P.S. I'm really not seeing how POTC needs a "desperate" rehab. It can certainly benefit from new animatronics and technology, but I think attractions like Carousel of Progress are more "desperate" in the sense of things starting to fall apart/less realistic. But that's just me. :)

epcotfan

I was walking from Future World to World Showcase, and one of the photographer CMs asked a guest if they wanted to have their picture taken in front of "the Epcot ball".
At least the CM didn't refer to it as "the big golf ball." LOL.

Tinkerbell1220

As for the GMR rumor I have spoken with a couple people at the attraction and they have stated that the last rehab was part of a massive rehab schedule they have planned over the next couple years, the next big rehab will include getting new movie scenes (not a complete change out but some big stuff here and their. As for the hat I have zero info on that one, it would be pretty easy for them to remove it though if they had to. The POTC though could definitely use a refurb, I wouldnt mind them adding in some of the movie stuff as long as it didnt get too out of hand.

rosebud's mom

Wow ! I guess my family has it all backwards. We thought Johnny Depp patterned Jack Sparrow after the Captain on the boat in the cannon fight scene.................. And correct me if you feel I'm wrong, but didn't they come reasonably close to recreating the scene with the dog holding the key in his mouth ?

Bairstow

Jack Sparrow is essentially an exaggerated Keith Richards impression with a little Errol Flynn thrown in for good measure. The character has very little to do with the ride.
The dog with the key, notion of skeleton pirates, and of course the song itself are really the only elements of the ride to directly translate to the movie.
Correction: There are a few more references to the ride (just check IMDB) but the Jack Sparrow character is Depp's creation, and IMHO the only thing that saved the film.

Boo's Mom

did you even see the movie!?!?! the scene with the dog holding the key is in the movie twice and Johnny Depp based Jack Sparrow off of Keith Richards and Pepe LePew.

It's been reported that both Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards and the cartoon skunk Pepe LePew influenced your character, Captain Jack Sparrow. Why those two?
Keith has always been a great hero to me and I felt that pirates of the 18th century were sort of rock and roll stars. Who better than Keith Richards to be your inspiration? Pepe LePew - I always liked him.

http://www.romanticmovies.about.com/library/weekly/aa062903a.htm

RSoxNo1

BigNorm said:
While I think a Jack Sparrow AA would be kinda cool, don't screw with a classic...just don't do it. It ain't right.

"We want the redhead! We want the redhead!" Not Jack Sparrow!

Any chance we can actually see the redhead get auctioned off?

TURKEY

The ship attacking the town, the guy sleeping with the pigs in the mud, the redhead, and numerous other things obviously didn't have a thing to do with the movie. :rolleyes:

Coaster3001

You guys the Hat is not going anywhere unfortunetly this i'm 99.9999% positive of. They already have installed wiring for the new computers that disney merchandise will eventually be getting and once they spend money on something like that they usually won't tear them down. I know this since i worked on right block studios merchandise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom