Additional Luggage Charge

Tiggerfanatic

I see in my newpaper today American Airlines is now going to charge a $15.00 fee both ways for a single checked bag. Wha'ts next - pay toilets?

WDWFigment

The reason commonly given for instituting this $15/first bag rule is that the airlines want to cut down on luggage, to cut down on weight. The lighter the plane, the less fuel needed to fly it to it's destination. The poster you are responding to simply said that the next "logical" step would be to weigh folks, and charge based on that. They did not single out overweight vs. tall, etc. The comments were strictly weight based. You are the only one that decided it was meant as an attack on the overweight vs. the tall, etc. And you are the only one that has gone there.

The point is that myself, my daughter AND our one checked bag will still weigh less than just about any single adult male (overweight, skinny, short or tall) on the flight. So why the heck should I now have to pay $15 for my luggage because of its added "weight" on the plane? In total, the average weight produced by our two tickets is significantly smaller than many others who won't be charged because they don't check bags!!

You saved me a decent deal of writing, as I agree with the idea you're advancing of tying prices as closely as possible to what someone is getting out of the service. That said, I think the baggage charge is a step in the right direction. It will encourage people to take less to avoid having to pay extra, which will thus cut down the per-person cost to fly. Who should those savings be passed on to? The person who made the savings possible. The prices are going to be increased regardless (since gas prices are increasing) why not give people an option to avoid that increase if they can help decrease the burden on the airlines?

I see your point, and while it'd be great to go to a system of pure weight based pricing, I think the backlash would harm whatever airline decided to be the trendsetter too greatly at this point. Look at the backlash over the baggage increase--it's pretty clear that people don't understand the rationale behind doing this, how kindly would they take to being weighed themselves? Probably not too well. For those who complain about being charged more for something that's out of your control, tough luck, I suppose. Have you ever thought of complaining to the grocery store for charging you for more food (since I'm sure your body needs more food to sustain itself)? What about the car manufacturers for you getting worse gas mileage than a lighter person in the exact same vehicle under the exact same driving circumstances? These examples may seem silly, but they're the same idea. It may not be your fault that it costs more for the airline to transport you, but it is not my fault, either. So if both of us are faultless (which is a pretty big assumption), who should bear the burden of paying the extra cost? I think it makes more sense for you to pay it, not me.

As for lawsuits and the ACLU--there is no legal protection against "weight based" discrimination. So long as this is reasonably related to a legitimate interest, it's fine.

Give this (charging for bags, not peoples' weight) a few years, and it will be standard practice among air carriers.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

I understand the rationality of the airlines trying to make another buck, but how is it feasible for a family of four visiting Disney World, or any other destination for that matter, for a week and not have to check luggage? If their thinking is to just have carry-ons for everyone, then it will not work....can't have a full size shampoo bottle in a carry-on, or lotion, etc., I just don't understand what they are thinking?

Well, we usually fly Jet Blue or Southwest and to my knowledge, someone please correct me if I am wrong, they have not given in to this craze of charging for checked bags. Well, if they do, then I will take the biggest carry-on they'll allow and have my son and husband do the same. Then I will still check one bag per person. Once they see their is no room in the cabins due to over packing a carry-on, I am sure they will change their tunes....so I hope.

I just don't get it?

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

The other thing to consider here is that most airlines routinely "sell" part of their cargo space to UPS, FedEx, DHL and the like to move freight about the world. I think this is why we have seen a reduction in the size and weight department of allowable luggage as they are able to boost revenue with moving freight. On the other side of that, it has in the past allowed the carriers to keep the price of a ticket lower; that was before the investors in Wall Street drove fuel prices up.

Upvote 0

Scooter

I see "airplane rage" in the future.

People will be fighting over overhead compartment space.
I flew to Orlando last week and I couldn't believe how much stuff people were carrying onboard and trying to fit it all into the overhead bins.

This new policy is just going to make it worse.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom