Abundance of characters out

hollywoodj

As far as I know, they were only doing the "random" characters in the animation building back when they weren't doing Fantasmic every night. On non-Fantasmic nights, the performers normally in the show would do the random M&Gs. I saw so many cool ones there - Mary Poppins & penguins, Jafar, Jasmine, Mulan, Pinocchio & Gepetto, the Tweedles, Alice, and a lot of the standard characters too, usually with no waits (b/c no one knew about them!)...

I also remember the "random" room in ToonTown several years ago. I really liked that surprise factor and wish they would bring it back.

This is true. Indeed, you can still meet "random" characters in animation every day there is a Fantasmic showing -- They are there from around 4:30/5ish to around 6:30.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm just happy to see somebody taking a shot at MBAs rather than accountants. :D

As an accountant with an MBA I guess I would be taking a shot either way!!!

I never cared where they put the characters before I had kids. Now it is nice to know certain characters will usually be around the same spots when we go.

mm52200

Unfortunately they are no longer doing the surprise characters at the animation building. They are all stadard there now. Sorcerer Mickey, Pooh and The Incredibles. When we went in November we checked back numerous times on multiple days and there was not a single "different" character in sight so I asked a CM (yes, I know CM's aren't always the best source of info but...) and he said they weren't doing that anymore. Checked again a couple weeks ago and still nothing new.

Personally I love seeing random characters that aren't out all the time. At one point wasn't there a villians room in Toon Town? Or maybe it was a random room? Because I have a picture taken with the Wicked Queen from Snow White and I also have a picture with Peter Pan from the same room. This was circa 1997..

The random/suprise characters happen at DHS in Animation only on days when Fantasmic starts at 7:30 or later I believe. So in the winter when it is usually starting at 6:30, the random characters don't do meet and greets. However, since Fantasmic doesn't start till 9:00 nightly during the summer the random characters come out at 4:50. There are typically two sets of characters and they each do two sets, alternating at 4:50, 5:20, 5:50, and 6:20.

tophkissane

When I was there in April at park opening for MK we were walking to go get fast passes for space mountain and stitch was there hanging out and messing with guests. I love seeing characters out without lines and how they are just around for guest enjoyment and interaction, more similar to the character experience in DL

DisDadEddie

We went to Characterpalooza in the Art of Animation building our last trip in January 2012. The CM's wouldn't tell us if it was happening or not. We went there and saw the characters. I hope they do not stop it. The more characters the better the trip.

kennygman

We went to Characterpalooza in the Art of Animation building our last trip in January 2012. The CM's wouldn't tell us if it was happening or not. We went there and saw the characters. I hope they do not stop it. The more characters the better the trip.

They aren't supposed to tell you if it's happening or even who will appear. It's supposed to seem like a surprise.

Piebald

No matter how busy the parks are, the characters in the Animation building rarely have a long line, if at all.

I've gone several times to do the drawing class, and have seen The fab five, Hook, Smee, Belle, Mary Poppins, Penguins, Max, Stitch, Meeko.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I cannot imagine that happening. Disney has been pretty careful that the characters going into Camp MM are appropriate to the forest (Thumper, Chip, Dale, Miss Bunny, etc) as opposed to the jungle (Baloo, King Louie). I don't see them doing that crossover, especially not in that specific place.

Also, I have not found anything to suggest any character changes in June and that is not the one of the two typical times of year for character changes.

If this was true someone else should be able to confirm and expand on the details.

I assure you from the closest possible source that Goofy will be ending his last scheduled shift at Camp at 7:00 tonight. I'll be there to see him off. Also, Timon will be leaving and Epcot characters will run later starting tomorrow.

drew81

I cannot imagine that happening. Disney has been pretty careful that the characters going into Camp MM are appropriate to the forest (Thumper, Chip, Dale, Miss Bunny, etc) as opposed to the jungle (Baloo, King Louie). I don't see them doing that crossover, especially not in that specific place.

Also, I have not found anything to suggest any character changes in June and that is not the one of the two typical times of year for character changes.

If this was true someone else should be able to confirm and expand on the details.

Today's the last day for Meeko, Thumper and Miss Bunny.

ImagineerDude

I remember back in 2004, me and my sister got 62 autographs and about 70 pictures with different characters throughout the 4 parks! Now, the same characters have been out since at least 2009 in the mornings and I was very disappointed to see at Disneyland the SAME characters (maybe a few more) were meeting in the SAME places on Main Street in the mornings... :shrug: I love the characters :)

mickeysaver

As an AP holder and the parent of a very observant, smart, and sometimes typically anxious 2 year old, I can't say that I have a huge problem with the current line up of characters, yet. Last Sunday was a visit for us that was more about the characters and yesterday was a day that was more focused on the rides. She loves both, but typically when it comes to meeting the characters, she just wants to give them a hug, get a high five, and/or do a fist bump. She likes knowing where she is going to see Princess Tiana, if she is out, or where she is going to be able to sneak some quality time with Stitch without much if any wait over at Epcot. It cuts down on her anxiety to know where everything is and what to expect. Maybe that is a small part of what Disney is taking into consideration with these more or less fixed character offerings. While I would love to see more villians and random character sightings from a Disney obsessed adult point of view, I am very happy that she gets to avoid the anxiety factor.

Tjmoat

Part of the changes on July 3rd refer to Disney making all cm's bid and have regular jobs every week, instead of performing as different characters daily. Which might include several changes to character lineups and locations

kennygman

Part of the changes on July 3rd refer to Disney making all cm's bid and have regular jobs every week, instead of performing as different characters daily. Which might include several changes to character lineups and locations

Only park showing a reduction is Animal Kingdom. They have lost 10 characters and only replaced 2 (net loss of 8, plus a loss of assistants and photopass) in recent months, plus they reduced meets for Pocahontas and Goofy to one location.

Magic Kingdom basically exchanged Pinocchio for Merida.
Epcot has extended hours for many of its characters.
Hollywood Studios is pretty status quo at the moment.

The problem isn't the bid structure. The problem lies with entertainment management at Animal Kingdom. Whoever is in charge doesn't see a variety of character meets as a priority for their park, but they don't realize how much guests love characters. (Expanding Tusker House to offer character lunch doesn't count because it actually creates revenue). Often times the line for Rapunzel or Tiana has been longer than any wait for any other attraction in the Magic Kingdom. Buzz & Woody often exceed ToT and ST2 in wait time too.

DisDadEddie

Character interaction is one of the most important part of our trips. My son is only two years old so they provide a lot of entertainment for him.

bdearl41

GOOD!!! Bring it back to the late 80's early 90's where you would randomly bump into the characters in hidden spots throughout the parks.

asianway

GOOD!!! Bring it back to the late 80's early 90's where you would randomly bump into the characters in hidden spots throughout the parks.

I would welcome this. The international parks, and to a lesser extent DLR, do this and there is considerable cost savings involved with less structure.

And before someone jumps in talking about roaming characters being attacked-guess what, I was at the past three weekends of Star Wars, and sure didn't see it. People were civilized and took turns as the characters called them forward for pics.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
And before someone jumps in talking about roaming characters being attacked-guess what, I was at the past three weekends of Star Wars, and sure didn't see it. People were civilized and took turns as the characters called them forward for pics.
Sorry to be the party pooper, but I HAVE seen it. I'm not saying that there can't be some roaming characters, I LOVE the Green Army Men at Pixar Place, but it can't be done with most characters. They'd walk a few steps onstage before stopping for one family and suddenly having an impromptu queue. At that point all roaming is pointless, so it may as well be done in a controlled environment with attendants and a Photopass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom