About time!

Maria

Original Poster
I was reading the newspaper this morning and there was an article about a National Geographic video being shot here. In the article there was also an interview with our Secretary of Tourism mentionning other companies who have come this year. She mentionned "Disney Imagineering, shooting images of Chichen Itza and Mérida, for the decoration of the Mexican Pavillion in Epcot". If that´s what they came to do, I hope they finally do something to represent the Southeast of Mexico! It´s a shame the Mayan culture is left out in there. I don´t know if that could be used when they finally update the ride....? *fingers crossed* I hope I get to see that some day! :animwink:

Just thought I would share... hehe :D

SirNim

Very interesting... Very interesting indeed... So some sort of change is coming to the Mexico pavilion... Hmm..:D

meeko_33785

At the very least this could be some sort of rehab to update the videos aon El Rio Del Tiempo. That would be great. I really like the ride, but some of those videos in it are looking very dated. This looks very promising.

Katherine

Yay! I hope this will really help this ride! I love the Mexico Pav. but the ride is in need of definite updates!:sohappy:

figmentmom

Mexico has always been my favorite pavilion, and I would be delighted to see an update of the videos shown on the ride - and better representation of southeastern Mexico's heritage and contributions!:)

Maria

Original Poster
Originally posted by figmentmom
Mexico has always been my favorite pavilion, and I would be delighted to see an update of the videos shown on the ride - and better representation of southeastern Mexico's heritage and contributions!:)

You know, even if they only update the videos in the ride, I´d be happy. If they include a bit more representation of the SouthEast, I´d be delighted. I was the first cast member from that area to work in Epcot and for a limited time, in the pavillion. Before me, they only hired people in Monterrey and Mexico City, making it basically full of North and Central Mexico´s cast members. After my year, they started coming to hire in my city too. Nowadays, there are many people from Yucatan and the neighbor states working in the pavillion, so there is a more balanced representation of the country´s cultures. Even our typical dress is different (and beautiful) and it´s not represented in the pavillion.

I´m not sure if I would like to see the Three Caballeros in there... I rather keep the pavillions and WSC more "original". I couldn´t figure out why we had Donald all day long in the pavillion and dressed with the mexican hat, until someone told me about that movie... *shrugs*.

:animwink:

General Grizz

Originally posted by Maria
I´m not sure if I would like to see the Three Caballeros in there... I rather keep the pavillions and WSC more "original".

There's the ticket, Maria. World Showcase is one of the last 'original' area for shows and attractions. After all, the most well-known Disney attractions (IASW, Tiki Birds) aren't based off movies. :animwink: :) :D

daniam2188

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
There's the ticket, Maria. World Showcase is one of the last 'original' area for shows and attractions. After all, the most well-known Disney attractions (IASW, Tiki Birds) aren't based off movies. :animwink: :) :D

yea untill the tikis were movifies with "under new managment" grumble grumble
the old tili room was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better

General Grizz

Hey, at least the Three Caballeros are Mexican and not Rap, like the Tiki Room! :lol:

Still, I believe World Showcase can stay pretty clean of Disney characters...there are already meet and greets - plus, it promotes originality as there is SUCH an invasion on the other side of the park (Future World...the soon-to-be Discoveryland). Finding Nemo is about to go in...which isn't bad necessarily, but is a further reason for attractions like Mexico to stay 'in check.'

Maria

Original Poster
I think the correct word to use is "authenticity". The pavillions in WSC should remain the most authentic posible and that means, no characters as part of them. If they want to greet outside, ok... but making them part of a ride, pavillion, attraction is just not "real" if you know what I mean. Pinoccio doesn´t live in the belltower in Venice, Jafar doesn´t live in the Moroccan museum, and Donald doesn´t speak Spanish and sells sombreros in the Mexican plaza.

The entertainment in the pavillions is awesome and very authentic, like the mime, living statues, Mariachi Cobre (round of applause), the acrobats, the folk musicians in Norway (not sure if they are still there)... etc. I think they should leave them as they are to give the true impression that you are travelling abroad. :)

General Grizz

Originally posted by Maria
I think the correct word to use is "authenticity". The pavillions in WSC should remain the most authentic posible and that means, no characters as part of them. If they want to greet outside, ok... but making them part of a ride, pavillion, attraction is just not "real" if you know what I mean. Pinoccio doesn´t live in the belltower in Venice, Jafar doesn´t live in the Moroccan museum, and Donald doesn´t speak Spanish and sells sombreros in the Mexican plaza.

The entertainment in the pavillions is awesome and very authentic, like the mime, living statues, Mariachi Cobre (round of applause), the acrobats, the folk musicians in Norway (not sure if they are still there)... etc. I think they should leave them as they are to give the true impression that you are travelling abroad. :)

Very true! I was able to see some entertainment I'd never heard of before at Italy. And the great thing was - it didn't have a single Disney character. Yet, it got such a receptive audience.

Maria

Original Poster
Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Very true! I was able to see some entertainment I'd never heard of before at Italy. And the great thing was - it didn't have a single Disney character. Yet, it got such a receptive audience.

I had always enjoyed Rondó Veneziano at the Italian pavillion, and when I went to Venice and saw the Duce´s Palace and the belltower, just like the ones in Epcot, I was amazed what a good job Imagineering had done. Then, at night, we sat at Saint Marc´s Square and enjoyed a real Rondó there, very much like the one in Epcot. Artists were also painting on the streets and all. I´m telling you, the theming is superb!
:sohappy:

General Grizz

You know what's also VERY impressive? China's 'dish and plate' show!

I guess this may be the reasoning behind my current disgust towards the idea of a 'standard show' with characters over at the Diamond Horseshoe... it would be like a Mickey Mouse patriotic show replacing the Voices of Liberty... :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom