About the Living Seas Ride

EpcotMark

Original Poster
About the Living Seas Ride opening everyone, no. There are currently no plans to reopen the ride. This because the ride does not meet current safety standards because there are no doors on the ride vehicles. You would need to completly replace the vehicles to open it again and that wont be happening any time soon. Truthfully, there really is no big imagineering news for epcot right now. The big guys are mainly concerned about getting through the happiest celebration on earth. Ice Station Cool is another project. It will reopen as club cool sometime around the holiday season.

Also, a new thing at Mission Space. Seat vibrators have been added to enhance the ride experience. See if you can tell the difference next time you are there. No connection to the tragedy last week.

mark

General Grizz

That's a shame, Mark! WDI has been in the Living Seas, trying to get the SeaCabs up. If this is true, do you know when they gave up or when the project was red-flagged?

EpcotMark

Original Poster
more as it develops

Things have beeen going on at the Seas, but nothing substantial. Mostly having to do with the new Nemo exhibits already installed. Seas will not be closing in August contrary to what screamscape makes up. I would have heard this and my managers have denied such a claim.

The gift shop has done some rearranging. I know this because I used to work Merchandise there and I didnt like that after you get off the hydrolators you walk around the corner and there was the cash register. How ridiculous. They finally moved it so that doesnt happen no more. :)

I also have always felt that the Living Seas is missing a big show. After all it is the largest indoor tank in the world and it needs some show to compete with SeaWorld.

On a sadder note, I was told yesterday that the Wave Goodbye has ended. :confused: I hate this! The wave goodbye at the fountain after Reflections of Earth was the way we say goodbye to the guests at the end of the night. Really Bad idea that they have decided to end this. I have already provided leadership with feedback regarding this bad decision.

Mark

NeedABreak

Liveing Seas is so underused. It has to be one of the coolest pavilions in future world but there never seems to be anything going on there. You go in, you look around at the fish, you leave. Getting the ride running would be great but more intereactive exibits would be awsome too. Anything to really do in there would be great.

The Living Seas also deceives many first time visitors. On my last visit to Disney a few weeks back, TLS was PACKED! After moving through the waiting area and film, people were nearly jumping with excitement to enter the "elevators". I overheard many people rumbling on about the ride that would more than likely greet us ahead, etc. I wanted to correct them all, but instead decided it best to just keep quite. Well, once we exited the elevator, people literally stood in place, waiting to be directed to where they would load this presumed ride. My girlfriend and I had to squeeze through everyone just to make our way into the aquarium/attraction area. No one believed us when we told them it was the correct way to go, everyone thought it was an exit. As we continued into the attraction, we overheard angry guests complaining to a cast member, "Is this it?" "Where is the ride" "We waited in line for this?".

Overall it was incredibly rude and I wanted to personally slap them all, but I have to agree that an absence of any sort of ride is quite evident. First time guest and even long time returnees who have not visited TLS since the old ride's demise are led to believe they will be going somewhere other than a viewing type area after sitting through a movie and going "into the depths" via elevator. I personally love TLS, but would like to see a return to the old ride, or something of an update.

barnum42

EpcotMark said:
On a sadder note, I was told yesterday that the Wave Goodbye has ended. :confused: I hate this! The wave goodbye at the fountain after Reflections of Earth was the way we say goodbye to the guests at the end of the night. Really Bad idea that they have decided to end this. I have already provided leadership with feedback regarding this bad decision.
Add me to the list that thinks it's a bad idea. I thought the wave goodbye was a great little human touch. But I guess corporate suits are not interested in a personal touch, they can't put a dollar return on a smile and a wave. It's called friendship - if they can drag their eyes out of the ledgers for long enough they may realise this.

General Grizz

EpcotMark said:
Things have beeen going on at the Seas, but nothing substantial. Mostly having to do with the new Nemo exhibits already installed. Seas will not be closing in August contrary to what screamscape makes up. I would have heard this and my managers have denied such a claim.

The gift shop has done some rearranging. I know this because I used to work Merchandise there and I didnt like that after you get off the hydrolators you walk around the corner and there was the cash register. How ridiculous. They finally moved it so that doesnt happen no more. :)

I also have always felt that the Living Seas is missing a big show. After all it is the largest indoor tank in the world and it needs some show to compete with SeaWorld.

Mark
Hmm... intriguing. Do you know about all the new markers that WDI has placed in the floors or the attempt to install hollograms in the Sea Cabs?

Just trying to see if what I know matches up with you. :)

JEDIsney

Do you know how long the SeaCabs have been down? Because when I went to Disney this past November, they obviously weren't open. But I don't recall them being open when I went in November 2002.

OliveMcFly

When I was there Nov 03 I decided I'm going into Seas because I havn't for a long time and I want to before it's gutted. We rode the sea elevators. Are they the sea cabs? Was there another ride? I'm having a hard time remembering.

JEDIsney

The sea elevators that you're talking about are the Hydrolators. They just basically transport you from the entrance to where the ride would be if it were open. But they're not the ride we're talking about. The Sea Cab is the ride that takes you through Sea Base Alpha. The website that barnum42 posted can tell you a lot more than I can.

http://www.intercot.com/edc/LivingSeas/lshydro.html

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Take a look in my photoalbum here for some stills from when the `cabs were open.

Full ride is on my Living Seas tribute video at Disney Central and here at WDWMagic in the Living Seas section for those who are IRC illiterate.

TinkerBell9988

I wish they would open the SeaCabs again... :( I was a big fan of that quick ride through the large fish tanks. I hope that WDI does something about bringing The Living Seas back to its original glory (with some new technology, of course :animwink: )

Lee

Adventurer
Thanks to EpcotMark for the info...but I hear a little differently.
Nothing greenlit or set in stone...but there are ideas being proposed.

I don't know much, but I'll look into it further.

Figments Friend

I would like to see the SeaCabs used. It seems crazy not too...WDI could so easily do a "Nemo" overlay to the exsisting set pieces and boom, you would have the hottest ride ever in the "new Epcot". What kid would'nt want to ride a 'Nemo" themed ride?? If the vehicles don't meet up with today's safety standards they could replace them with new ones. Sure it will cost a mint, but we are talking Disney here....it's not like they can't afford it! They must realize what a huge draw it would be for Guests if they had a new attraction that featured these popular characters. It seems that it would be very easy to do as not much would have to be changed really from the original layout.

I agree that TLS needs a little more to it. It has improved greatly in the past couple of years compared to it's state after the Cabs closed. I still find it enjoyable but can see how many Guests feel it's a letdown. These folks are looking for 'thrills" i guess.......

EpcotMark

Original Poster
I do want the sea cabs back like everyone else, its just there are no official current plans for it. I also want the wave goodbye to stay. Write Letters!

Figments Friend

Hi Mark...

Can you tell me more about this "Wave Goodbye"?

I have not heard of it until now....i think i know what it is, but wanted to ask for the official news!

Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom