About the Disney Dining Plan...

Patcheslee

Previous to covid we had the dining plan because we did alot of character meals. The out of pocket vs DDP price made it a reasonable decision. With the modified experiences being priced lower, if the dining plan were to come back at previous prices/night, I'm not sure the value/savings would be there.

heatherhy01

No, they may not, but not having the DP won't change that. My point is that people who are inclined to make reservations at restaurants will do that regardless of whether there is a plan in place or not. I did. Which means they are going to run into the ADRs issue anyway. People who are willing to pay for a deluxe Dining Plan aren't necessarily going to go back to counter chicken strips and fries because it's not in place. I won't.
I think that I understand what you are saying. Our upcoming trip as an example, we will be making all of our ADR's at 60 days without the dining plan just as we would with the dining plan. Having it or not having it will not change how we do our trip either way.

Chi84

Premium Member
We visited in October and saw many examples of restaurants with empty tables but no reservation availability. The current labor and product shortages will probably result in this staying the same for awhile. Disney probably won't sell the dining plan until the situation improves to the point where it can guarantee more reservations to more people.

It may not matter to some, but many people who buy the dining plan will be first time or less frequent visitors and will be disappointed if they buy a plan Disney is selling and then can't find TS reservations they want at convenient times. That has happened in the past, but not to the extent it will occur with restaurants still closed and limited capacity in the ones that are open.

It's one thing to get shut out of your preferences when your money is still in your pocket - that's your problem. It's another to get shut out of your preferences when your money is in Disney's pocket - that's Disney's problem. I agree with those saying that Disney doesn't want to deal with the complaints and refund demands.

PixarPerfect

Original Poster
I think that I understand what you are saying. Our upcoming trip as an example, we will be making all of our ADR's at 60 days without the dining plan just as we would with the dining plan. Having it or not having it will not change how we do our trip either way.
Exactly, thank you. :)

We're going to act and dine the way we like to act and dine, Dining Plan or not. It's a payment option, not a lifestyle changer.
The dining plan doesn't just change the payment methodology of guests who are going to book dining reservations anyways, it also changes the number of dining reservations those guests make in the first place.

A family who does 4 TS meals in a week without the dining plan might book 7 TS meals in a week with the dining plan. Disney can't absorb that kind of increased demand on their TS restaurants right now.

The way you're describing your own family, as booking the exact same number of reservations with or without the dining plan, is not typical.

Thank you, I never misunderstood what others were saying. The earlier point was not lost on me. As for my booking style, no, we're surely not typical. We enjoy our vacations and use them to indulge. We are very active and use the meals as rest breaks. With a cocktail because it's a vacation, lol. I'd guess most people don't sit and dine at restaurants 3x per day.

People are not going to spontaneously upgrade their Dining Plans mid-trip. To my knowledge, it has to be done ahead of time. A family that is comfortable with quick service and has budgeted to only dine at a table service restaurant once a day probably won't upgrade to the more expensive Dining Plan that allows them to dine twice per day. And they will probably look for a table service place for each day, Dining Plan or not, so the ADRs issues will exist regardless. As others on this forum have pointed out many times, the Dining Plans are not inexpensive and a family could save money NOT using the Dining Plan. They're not all budget-friendly.

There are multiple levels to the Dining Plan program. One is for quick service-only. A family on that plan can purchase quick service meals using their credits. They can't suddenly decide to change to table service using those same credits (or at least, they'll have to pay the difference). Along the same lines, a family on the "one table service a day plan" can't suddenly use one of their quick service credits on a second table service. Whomever purchases a Dining Plan is going to factor their dining style and budget into that purchase. Whether they plan ahead and secure ADRs is up to them. I failed to do so my first time around and ended up losing credits because there weren't ADRs available. That was years ago--long before COVID and staffing shortages--and I learned my lesson the hard way.

A quick service-only dining plan would not be affected by an ADR shortage, yet it's not currently offered either. As I said earlier, people will still need to eat, Dining Plan or not. It would be nice to have that payment option available.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member

We're going to act and dine the way we like to act and dine, Dining Plan or not. It's a payment option, not a lifestyle changer.

Thank you, I never misunderstood what others were saying. The earlier point was not lost on me. As for my booking style, no, we're surely not typical. We enjoy our vacations and use them to indulge. We are very active and use the meals as rest breaks. With a cocktail because it's a vacation, lol. I'd guess most people don't sit and dine at restaurants 3x per day.

People are not going to spontaneously upgrade their Dining Plans mid-trip. To my knowledge, it has to be done ahead of time. A family that is comfortable with quick service and has budgeted to only dine at a table service restaurant once a day probably won't upgrade to the more expensive Dining Plan that allows them to dine twice per day. And they will probably look for a table service place for each day, Dining Plan or not, so the ADRs issues will exist regardless. As others on this forum have pointed out many times, the Dining Plans are not inexpensive and a family could save money NOT using the Dining Plan. They're not all budget-friendly.

There are multiple levels to the Dining Plan program. One is for quick service-only. A family on that plan can purchase quick service meals using their credits. They can't suddenly decide to change to table service using those same credits (or at least, they'll have to pay the difference). Along the same lines, a family on the "one table service a day plan" can't suddenly use one of their quick service credits on a second table service. Whomever purchases a Dining Plan is going to factor their dining style and budget into that purchase. Whether they plan ahead and secure ADRs is up to them. I failed to do so my first time around and ended up losing credits because there weren't ADRs available. That was years ago--long before COVID and staffing shortages--and I learned my lesson the hard way.

A quick service-only dining plan would not be affected by an ADR shortage, yet it's not currently offered either. As I said earlier, people will still need to eat, Dining Plan or not. It would be nice to have that payment option available.
I expect all of the dining at WDW right now is affected by labor and supply shortages to the extent that Disney is wary of taking the money upfront.

In any event, I seriously doubt Disney would bring back the dining plan in a piecemeal fashion; when it is offered, it will likely be all or nothing. If it was to Disney’s advantage to offer a quick-service dining plan right now they would be doing it.

Mom2TCDx2

I know we were rather disappointed with our trip last year in November with no dining plan. I have just always bought it the last several trips. We had been planning that trip before Covid was even a thing, for my 50th birthday and Disney's 50th. We have another trip for September this year, so badly want the dining plan back.

Even without the dining plan I was on the phone and online trying to book at that time for 16 people. Large groups really do make the dining plan easier, as we aren't quite so stressed on who got what items on their bill, etc. Next trip I will only have 7 of us. I really still tried for 2 table service meals daily, without the character breakfasts, we opted to just eat breakfast in our room. If I had had the dining plan we would have done 3 full meals. Next trip we won't have the full kitchen (unless I can manage to snag a 1 BR at my 7 month DVC booking window).

Though sadly I find it odd to have to make park reservations early, then try and secure dining reservations around those park reservations already made. Really think they need to go back to at least 90 to 120 days booking. Fingers crossed they still come back some time this year, but I feel like Disney would announce it ahead of time, so that people could still arrange to add it to their trips.

Club Cooloholic

I guess I don't really understand your point about it being easier on the Dining plan with payments. First of all, you have to keep track of credits...not something that is fun or easy per day especially when the restaurants have been know to make a mistake here and there. Second, do you only order what's covered by the dining plan? If so more power to you, but extras like a beer or speciality drink cost more and so you still have to look at the bill which brings me to tipping.. you have to look at the bill there too. I can understand getting the plan to save money of you want to work it right, the DDP has always had people that will save money on it and others that will lose money on it, but it making paying at the restaurant simpler? Eh no advantage of it at all.

Club Cooloholic

I expect all of the dining at WDW right now is affected by labor and supply shortages to the extent that Disney is wary of taking the money upfront.

In any event, I seriously doubt Disney would bring back the dining plan in a piecemeal fashion; when it is offered, it will likely be all or nothing. If it was to Disney’s advantage to offer a quick-service dining plan right now they would be doing it.
Well the high prices at restaurants always justified the dining plan " look honey this $32 strip steak was free!! Hmm doesn't taste like a $35 steak. Oh well I'll just get a free $8 mickey bar". Maybe they are testing out how far all the people will go paying the regular way with the high prices.
Speaking of steak, with beef such a premium maybe they don't want that dining plan, I would bet there are far more people trying other things and they aren't selling nearly the amount of steaks with the DDP down.

Maries

I am hoping that DP comes back going in April, we used last time for quick service as easier with the children but may end up just buying food at grocery store and eating one meal at park as will be costly to eat three meals at parks/hotel. The convenience of the DP was so much easier, just swipe and and eat

tdudunake

I too love the convenience of the dining plan. We travel with a large extended family and it is so much easier! We are planning a trip in April also. Can anyone who has just returned leave feedback as to restaurant capacities? I have been reading AWFUL reviews from guests who have traveled this month (January). These have been posted in trip advisor and there are many! I'm concerned.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's a payment option, not a lifestyle changer.
I've been going to WDW since the late '70's. I've used the DDP once.

That one time, I took special care to ensure every one of my covered TS meals had an ADR.

That's the only time I've ever made ADRs for every evening meal, and that was to ensure I got maximum value out of my DDP.

You can't convince me that the vast majority of people on the DDP would make ADRs for every evening meal unless they were on the plan. And that, mi amigo, is a lifestyle changer.

harryk

I've been going since the late '70's also and have used the DDP almost every trip. So, I must be the exception, since all of our TS meals have been made in advance, both lunch and dinner. The last visit, Nov 2021, was without the plans due to no plans being offered and still made all TS reservations in advance.

Grumpy4196

I understand the labor and supply chain issues have affected the sit-down restaurants but I am rather surprised Disney hasn't at least started the QS DP back up at this point.

Buzzes Dad

Just went to WDW a few weeks ago some observations and information:

We have used either the QS or the reg DP pretty much since it was started. Most of the time we received a "free" version and/or paid to upgrade to the next tier. We liked the DDP for a couple of reasons 1) basically it is "prepaid" and no thought needed on cost (especialy when it is "free" 2) allows us to try selections that we might not otherwise try, (again because it "prepaid/free") I say "prepaid" and "free" knowing full well that with Disney it is not actually "free" because we paid a premium on the rack rate of the room

Any to my point, we had a five night quick trip and we still booked 2 sit downs (50's and GF Cafe both of which we love) for oop expense. From my time at both resturants there were a number of tables that were "empty" but yet the staff that was present was busy, so that tells me that there is not enough staff to handel the demand if the DP where to be brought back now. We booked our dinners at the 60 day mark and still got times not anywhere near what we wanted but hey 1) We are at WDW, 2) In the great scheme of life disappointing yes, tragic deffinetly not.

Other point of reference as someone earlier pointed out the lack of International CM's that would normally staff Epcot. If those International memebers were able to be brought back it would free up a "bunch" of current CM's to either return to their previous CM jobs or transfer to new CM jobs. I will say the pasrks were busy, CM were busy/stressed but the vast majority of them are working hard to keep things positive and moving forward for "us".

Long story short the DDP's will be brought back when staff has stabliized with expected/anticipated demand and well as a return to more "normal" supply issues. I would expect early 2023 at the earliest.

TrojanUSC

Just went to WDW a few weeks ago some observations and information:

We have used either the QS or the reg DP pretty much since it was started. Most of the time we received a "free" version and/or paid to upgrade to the next tier. We liked the DDP for a couple of reasons 1) basically it is "prepaid" and no thought needed on cost (especialy when it is "free" 2) allows us to try selections that we might not otherwise try, (again because it "prepaid/free") I say "prepaid" and "free" knowing full well that with Disney it is not actually "free" because we paid a premium on the rack rate of the room

Any to my point, we had a five night quick trip and we still booked 2 sit downs (50's and GF Cafe both of which we love) for oop expense. From my time at both resturants there were a number of tables that were "empty" but yet the staff that was present was busy, so that tells me that there is not enough staff to handel the demand if the DP where to be brought back now. We booked our dinners at the 60 day mark and still got times not anywhere near what we wanted but hey 1) We are at WDW, 2) In the great scheme of life disappointing yes, tragic deffinetly not.

Other point of reference as someone earlier pointed out the lack of International CM's that would normally staff Epcot. If those International memebers were able to be brought back it would free up a "bunch" of current CM's to either return to their previous CM jobs or transfer to new CM jobs. I will say the pasrks were busy, CM were busy/stressed but the vast majority of them are working hard to keep things positive and moving forward for "us".

Long story short the DDP's will be brought back when staff has stabliized with expected/anticipated demand and well as a return to more "normal" supply issues. I would expect early 2023 at the earliest.

There is no such thing as a "free" version. You wind up packing the rack rate on the room instead of whatever other promo they have, thereby costing you more in long run. Everything in the dining plan is a winner for Disney, loser for guests.

nickys

Premium Member
There is no such thing as a "free" version. You wind up packing the rack rate on the room instead of whatever other promo they have, thereby costing you more in long run. Everything in the dining plan is a winner for Disney, loser for guests.
There was such a thing for some U.K. packages. If you booked at a certain time for a stay between specific dates then the dining plan was included free.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom